Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on July 23, 2014
This is a very nice tripod. However, you must know that this is not a light weight tripod. It does not come with a carry bag and it does not collapse to a very small footprint.

Having said that, I will say that this is by far the sturdiest tripod I have ever used. The heavier weight holds your binos or camera rock steady. If you are looking for a tripod to hold your large binoculars, look no further.

Panning friction is adjustable and locks nicely. Attaching your optics to the head is not the best system I've used but does do the job. The quick release plate does not "slide" into the head, it is set onto the head then locked down. The first couple of times you do this, take your time, be sure the plate is lined up correctly as to not drop your optics.
I am sure there are better tripods, ( at 2-3 times the $$), but at this price you get a very sturdy tripod that will not let you down.
on September 14, 2013
I got this for a set of 20 x 80 binoculars and it holds them perfectly. There are no slow motion controls for astronomy but the movement is nice and smooth with adjustable tension for azimuth, altitude and height. I have used it a few times already and it is a rock solid mount.
on January 12, 2015
The Tripod is basically a photography tripod, beefed up a bit for heavier items. During daytime watching with a telescope its OK and the corect orientation movements make it easy for firsttimer, but for star gazing above half height of the horizon it gets really arkward. ALso for the wheight of the telescope you can NOT smoothly track planets or stars. There is a tension adjuster, but its not working out to be smooth - I usually finderscope the place I am interested in, hold the whole assembly to make sure I can see it in telescope, tighten it down and hope that it will show somewhere (usually not in teh middle).

On the plus, its fairly light and even together with the telescope, you can simply carry the whole thing around (in fact, movinbg the legs on the pavement is sometimes easier for adjustment than using the intended bar handle). Its sturdy, there is no risk the telescope will topple.

Would not buy again, but I have no beter one in mind either.
on July 16, 2014
I make my live as a videographer. I did a lot of looking before I found this tripod on Amazon. This was originally part of a houswarming gift for our nephew...the other part was a powerful Bushnell binocular. The idea was for our nephew to fit the binocular onto the tripod since the upstairs bedroom of the condo he is renting has an awsome view of the ocean. This tripod is perfect. It will support his binocular as well as his SLR Cannon camera. I was so impressed...I bought the same thing for my wife and myself. We had already bought the very same binocular a couple of years ago...and since we have an SLR camera and video camera this is perfect for getting those nice, flowing tilt and pan shots. Great item forr a great price.
on December 5, 2014
Bought this tripod to hold a heavy Konus spotting scope (Konuspot-100). It worked well out at the shooting range. I set the scope on my 100 yard target and never had to re-aline throughout my shooting. If you have a heavy camera or spotting scope this is a good buy.
on January 29, 2014
Bought this Tripod stand for my husbands Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 Binoculars . He loves it. It is very high quality very nice stand.can even disconnect the Binoculars in one click. very happy husband.
on March 13, 2016
I purchased this tripod mainly for Astrophotography. When searching for a tripod, I was looking for something very solid and resistant to shaking from ground vibrations or wind gusts. Not only that, but It needed to perform well under a decent load as well. This tripod does the job.

I do not use the pan head much, but it seems to be of a decent build quality. The pan head is very easy to remove and attach other camera mounts. The mount I use for Astrophotography is the iOptron SkyTracker. To fit on the tripod, I needed a thread converter (1/4"-20 to 3/8"-16) which is fairly common in the photography world. The legs are marked each inch for easy adjustment of height and position. The tripod includes a round bubble level at the top of the tripod which comes in very handy. The rubber feet are also retractable and expose metal pegs that help keep the tripod firm in soil.

Overall, I really like this tripod. It does it's job well. However, I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 mainly for the listed price (Currently $150). Compared to other solutions, it seems a bit high for some of the plastic materials used. If it was closer to 100 I would say it's the golden ticket.
review image review image review image review image
on December 18, 2014
Received it today after 9 days. Listing said it was in stock. The elevator pinion gear was stripped. No damage to shipping packaging.
I believe this was a recycled return. This is a sleazy way of doing business. I am 40 miles from the nearest UPS store, so I used a burring tool to remove the rest of the gear teeth. I need this tripod now, so I will raise and lower it by hand. I got a bad one, but this is a 5 star tripod ordinarily. This tripod is true to its great reviews.
on August 4, 2015
The first one arrived damaged so I sent it back for replacement. As a "Prime" member I get the two day, free shipping. They were out of stock and showed an estimated shipping date of one month out. It arrived in less than two weeks. I use the tripod for astrophotography using a Vixen Polarie tracker and a Nikon D7000. Polar alignment is crucial and with my old tripod it was hit and miss. This tripod is solid and handles the weight of my rig well. It's not exactly portable but easy enough to lug around. I replaced the top unit with a Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head and attach my Polarie tracker to that.
on March 10, 2015
It's heavy. But hey, it's a heavy-duty tripod. The first one I received was defective. Orion sent me another one within days - all companies should be like this. The defect was slight but made the tripod a bipod, which doesn't work well. A clamp on a leg wouldn't hold securely. Simple oversight on their quality control. The tripod is amazing. I love it.