Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 5, 2007
Wow! I was knocked out when I received this book. I was afraid it would be far too technichal, and geared exclusively for biologists and zoologists. It is actually written for undergraduate level students interested in bird behavior and physiology. I highly recommend this book, but beware! This is not some light reading! It's a very serious text, but very readable and well illustrated. Love it!
on July 14, 2015
This book was recommended to me by an ornithologist at a bird ID class I took. I like the book, it's not overly scientific. In a weird way, for a college-level course, it actually seems a bit simple. Plenty of good information and I do recommend it because there's not a lot out there that's more current. The most recent edition, the 3rd, was published in 2006 and that's what I bought because there are no plans to update this book.

At almost 10 years old, however, it may be considered a classic. In the past decade with the uptick of citizen science and the global reach of the digital age, I think many people might want more up to date information. Cornell Lab of Ornithology Handbook of Bird Biology, last published in 2004, is getting an update. They'll be releasing a new edition in mid 2016. I'm planning to purchase that.
on November 17, 2012
I bought this book for an Ornithology class that I took in college. It was so informative! Well written and easy to understand. It offers scientific viewpoints where other texts may not be so unbiased on certain subjects involved (ie: where they evolved from). I would highly recommend this book for any interested in learning more about birds than a simple birding book can offer. I sold mine back and deeply regret it, looks like I'll have to pay the full price to buy again; which I will because it's definitely worth it.
on June 23, 2015
This book is well written and easy to understand. I'm slightly disappointed about the lack of photos for better assessment and diagramming of certain topics, and even the lack of color for the few photos it does have.
on May 26, 2013
As someone with a background in the biological sciences and an interest in birding, I ordered this book to provide a source on avian biology that would serve as a reference in my personal library. I was not disappointed. It is not a book about birding and identification of birds, but rather a book that introduces the biology of birds. I find it to be well written. It provides exposure to major concepts and scientific background that will help an interested non-ornithologist to dig more deeply into the biology of birds than he might be able to by just reading books on birds and birding that are intended solely for amateur naturalists.
on December 21, 2007
Wow! How our knowledge of birds has increased over the past decade since the last edition! Written with charm and warmth, flows well with loads of details; this book is a must for the shelf of every bird enthusiast whether professional or kitchen feeder watcher. Only complaint: I wish this Edition III had the engaging taxonomy section (at end) of the older editions, updated with all the new revisions in bird relationships hinted at in the previous editions. My copy doesn't have the promised CD of that section. The cover is stunning - out of the gloom of night comes a Barn Owl to pounce the author! - worth the price only. Some color photos of spectacular birds and their actions inside would brighten the inside.
on February 25, 2014
I wanted a textbook regarding all facets of birds, their anatomy and behavior, and got it. I would recommend this to the nature enthusiast who wants to go beyond the bird ID guides and into the more technical aspects of birds.
on November 26, 2014
As a Veterinary student with a specialization in Avian Medicine, Wild Bird and Wildlife Rehabbing, this book is a must read for others with similar interests. I also raise parrots and either way this book (for home or college), has been a valuable resource for me and I am always consulting it.
on August 12, 2014
Super cool book. I love the look of it and the layout of the information. I bought this for an Ornithology class and it helped my a lot with studying and went into further detail which helped explain any short comings in lecture. Still sits proudly on my shelf at home.
on July 11, 2011
This book is written in a very understandable way with relevant and interesting information. It is a tad pricey, especially considering that the pictures are all black and white, but it's well worth it. Definitely worth the buy for beginners and those that want more in depth knowledge.