Other Sellers on Amazon
Orphan Black: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
|Additional Multi-Format options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Prime Members||Per Episode||Buy Season|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
So--what can I tell you that will let you know whether you want to see this or not without spilling all those beans? Well, I'll try.
1. Don't see this if you need glossy, upbeat Hollywoody science fiction. There isn't a single Dudly Do-Right in the entire cast of characters. Everyone has issues. Everyone has baggage. Problems can't always be solved by sweet reason, Star Trek style. And who's a Good Guy or a Bad Guy isn't always clear, even when you learn just who and what they are. And with some of the more damaged characters, they can't necessarily be fixed--ever. Some things you can't come back from. And problems don't have quick fixes. That is, there's no pandering to your inner 12 year old. This is a show for grown-ups.
There is hope, and character growth, and goodness--but not unmixed, and not come by easily. Think about Egon Schindler of Schindler's List--a womanizer, war profiteer, Nazi collaborator--who also saved over 900 Jews. He'd fit right in here.
2. Don't see this if you have to have a saintly, lovable central character who always does the right thing without hesitation. If you're the kind of person who likes to sit in judgement of others, and who thinks nothing in a person's upbringing/environment can excuse anything wrong they do, skip Orphan Black. There's no black and white morality to be had here.
3. Skip this if you need your science fiction to be 100% scientifically plausible.Read more ›
I didn't watch this show live, I bought the DVD and watched it because of this very thing and I am here to tell you that the world was not wrong.
Amazing show. Her acting is just BEYOND. Honestly I can't think of a single acting performance, male or female, TV or movie, that comes even slightly close to what Muslany does in Orphan Black. It is astonishing. Simply astonishing.
The first 2 episodes are kinda set up, but after that... Wow. Honestly by episode 3 or 4 you have to remind yourself that it is only one actress playing these parts. By episode 5 you aren't even thinking about it anymore you are just enjoying the ride.
With only 10 episodes you can easily watch this entire show on a Saturday or weekend, which is a good thing because once you step into this world you will want to keep watching. The subject matter is unique and timely and it is done in a way that is very exciting.
This one hit managed to hit maximum speed seconds after it began, and then spent the rest of the show proving there was more to spare. Somehow, it did this without sacrificing character development. Thanks to co-creator John Fawcett's taut direction, and remarkable performances by Tatiana Maslani as three physically identical women with distinct personalities, accents and mannerisms. She even plays one mimicking another, with her cockney accent wavering.
The story is about Sarah, a young woman surviving on the margins as a hustler and a drug dealer, who's just walked out on her boyfriend. She witnesses a stranger identical to herself, Beth, commit suicide. Sarah steals and assumes her identity. Despite the fact that Sarah had little to lose, it turns out this was not the best move. The mysterious pink cellphone and a recently loaded savings account hint at the weird secrets that drove Elizabeth to suicide.
The show has one gamble in its structure, that is, Sarah is not a likeable character. Even if you can't warm up to her anti-heroism, you might still enjoy the trouble she brings on herself and still admire the cleverness she shows. Maslani's remarkable performance generates fascination. I expect that as the plot continues to unfold, we'll see Sarah's other better qualities.
Maslani seems like a chameleon, and co-Creator, Fawcett, is the best filmmaker out of Canada, having made the timeless horror movie "Ginger Snaps." I'm hooked. I've already bought it for the rest of the season.
Tight writing like Luther but with a much stranger plot. My wife and I love it. We
are Dr. Who fans and watch a large amount of BBC programing for those who
live the USA. I loved Copper, Luther, Life on Mars, We both loved Coupling, Black's Books,
Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf and many others. However, after the first episode we turned to each
other and said wow. That was only 45 minutes. The show has so much going on and is so
tightly written as to be a rollercoast of storyline development.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Look forward to seeing how this one develops. Like the theme.Published 10 hours ago by Derrick Burke
Unusual plot, but who knows, it may come to pass. Action packed and no rest from all the action or plot twists. Entertaining but not binge materia.Published 22 hours ago by Lynn K
I heard about Orphan Black, but waited a few years to try it. We binge watched the first 3 seasons in about a week. It's easy to forget one actress plays all those parts. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Amazon Customer
I am most impressed with all of the characters played by this one actress! Wow...I find myself seeing all of them as separate and individual down to the speech and... Read morePublished 1 day ago by CJ
|Topic||From this Discussion|
|Blu-Ray just 2 discs ? BD-50 I hope...||
Plenty of TV Blu-rays put 4 hours, or sometimes a bit more, of content per BD-50 disc, and the quality is still very high. I have several sets with 5 42-44 minute episodes per BD-50 disc (some of my Fringe discs have 6 42-44 minute episodes) and the quality is wonderful. Three Blu-rays would... Read More
Jul 23, 2013 by Bond Fan '62 | See all 3 posts
|Region B playback ?||
No. It's strictly Region A locked! You'll need a multi-regional Blu-Ray player/drive to play this show. Looks like you'll have to wait until August 2014, for the BBC to release this on UK shores. :(
Nov 4, 2013 by PoochJD | See all 3 posts
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > BBC > All BBC Titles
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > TV
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > TV