Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2008 8:02:57 AM PDT
W. Richman says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 12:28:31 PM PDT
Leah Zones says:
I have to agree that there are a multitude of great books out there that I will never have time to read and I think I can easily pass up the work of someone who is so misguided himself when it comes to gay people. It's the same as choosing to "buy blue", supporting those organizations who share my views on the environment and political issues. Vote with the pocket book.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 2:16:14 PM PDT
From the article you pointed out:
"and nothing that has been said by any of the prophets or any of the Church leaders who have dealt with this issue -- can be construed as advocating, encouraging, or even allowing harsh personal treatment of individuals who are unable to resist the temptation to have sexual relations with persons of the same sex."

It strikes me that Card's point is that homosexuality is a sin, but he says specifically that the religious people he is writing to should love people who engage in it anyway--so long as they don't continue perpetuating their sin for years and years. To say flat-out that Card "hates gays" or is somehow opposed to gay people themselves reveals a misunderstanding of his position. Just because he hates something you do doesn't mean he hates you yourself--by your logic, just because I personally completely despise mayonnaise, I must therefore despise anyone who eats it, which is of course ludicrous.

I can easily see you reacting negatively to what he says, though. I can easily see you thinking of him as condescending (because he is, a bit), or intolerant (well, he comes right out and admits that, saying that intolerance is a good thing). But he doesn't seem to hate gay people based on this article--homosexuality, yes, gay people themselves, no. I think this distinction is important because so often the church actually *does* advocate open hating of gays, which even a cursory examination of the Bible and the character of Christ reveals as a deep and tragic sin.

The other thing I would like to point out is that I would guess Card wrote that particular document to be read by people of his own religious affiliation. He may choose his phrasing a bit more carefully if he weren't "preaching to the choir", as it were. In fact, what I read here is an admonishment to religious people, particularly the LDS, to *not* hate the gay people in their lives even as they are intolerant of their behavior. Take from that what you will, although I happen to agree with Card that tolerance is not in itself the cardinal virtue--that kind of thinking caused World War II.

My $.02, or possibly $.01--not sure how much my thinking is worth. :D

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 2:03:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 27, 2012 2:36:26 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 9:53:29 AM PST
Yvonne Smith says:
Does an artist or author have to have the "correct" social or political positions in order to be able to do compelling work and present intriguing ideas? Isn't that the question in Amadeus and many other movies and books? Years ago Linda Ronstead, the singer, said that she didn't want Republicans to come to her concerts. l thought that was one of most intolerant things I had ever heard - and from a person that wanted everyone (else) to "just get along together."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2014 12:30:26 AM PST
LexGoyle says:
I don't feel that way myself. I mean there are some people with great works out there that have political views that are the direct opposite of my own. Some have some very harsh views that make one wonder should that person even .... exist in a civilized society. That being said, I try to keep my politics separate from my entertainment because to close my mind to someone's own creativity based on some political or religious view that may not be in mutual agreement with myself and the creator of the work is just silly. I could be missing out on a great story... or music... or game.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Ender Quartet Boxed Set: Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet)
The Ender Quartet Boxed Set: Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet) by Orson Scott Card (Mass Market Paperback - November 4, 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (243)