5.0 out of 5 stars C.S. Lewis with more wit and humor
Lewis is one of my all-time favorite authors and thinkers. So, when I read in his autobiography the impact that Chesterton had on him, I had to pick up a copy of one of his books. I chose this one, and what an introduction it was. It is a wonderful thing to find a new author that you enjoy so immensely.

As the title of my review intimates, Chesterton has all...
Published on June 24, 2009 by A. Tyler

2.0 out of 5 stars Teeny-Tiny Chesterton
The author and the content are first-rate. That goes without saying. I have read this book before and so know its value. What has to be said, though, is that the tiny print of this edition is a cruel joke for lovers of Chesterton. The print is so, so tiny that the whole book gets squeezed into sixty-eight pages. Who published this outrage? The publishing house didn't...
Published 5 months ago by Lois E.

5.0 out of 5 stars C.S. Lewis with more wit and humor, June 24, 2009

As the title of my review intimates, Chesterton has all of the intelligence and keenness of mind of Lewis, but with the added bonus of a boundless, cheery sense of humor (not to say, of course, that Lewis does not have a good sense of humor in his own rights). If you read this book without smiling to yourself dozens of times, you are missing something. Chesterton's jabs at his contemporaries, as well as his predecessors, in philosophical thought are at once humorous and severe, all without the slightest hint of mean-spiritedness; a tribute to his sense of paradox.

My one complaint about this edition is the endless typographical errors contained in its pages. I find it appalling that a publishing house would send to print something with so many glaring errors. After the first couple, I thought it to be no big deal. But after the first ten I became a bit put off. If you can overlook the typos, then this edition will suit you just fine. And the errors can in no way detract from wealth of prose, candor, analogy, and humor found within this gem of a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orthodoxy, July 6, 2009
I'll be honest and say that a lot of Christian books I have read have been dull or void of passion. This book is neither. I have read a few G.K. Chesterton books and in my opinion this is my favorite of his. This book displays the wonder and mystical side of Christianity through Chesterton's eyes and can get very deep philosophically and also very witty. It has some big words yet most audiences will be able to comprehend what he is saying without getting lost. Its hard for me to clealy explain the whole synopsis but this is very good book and considering the price, you won't lose out by taking a chance and picking up a copy of your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I waited so long, June 6, 2010
I've enjoyed CS Lewis for years and only recently became convinced that I should get some exposure to Chesterton. Like Lewis, CHesterton's writing is very British, and something of a struggle getting through some of it, but he has an excellent manner in putting thoughts forward in a well supported way, and very worthwhile if you are open to understanding his message. It is easy to see why he is so often pointed to by so many. Chesterton wrote for his time and takes to task many of the leading "enlightened" thinkers. His personal honesty in his writing style is very apparent, and his explanations are very clear and well developed. I found the brief auto-biographical background he provided in the book is to be particularly helpful. This is my first intro to Chesterton, and I look forward to reading more, however I believe that annotated versions would be very helpful in being able to appreciate many of the references, expressions, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars How does he do it?, June 10, 2013
This review is from: Orthodoxy (Kindle Edition)
Out of everything that I have ever read, this is the book that I have recommended to the most people. My friends and roommates hated me when I read it because I would continuously stop and read passages out loud to them. There was never a dull moment in the entire thing.

I think the reason that this writing is so powerful is that he makes it so personal, without moving away from logical or reasonable arguments. He sets up the extended metaphor of an explorer that sets out to find new lands, but ends up "discovering" England, where people have been for thousands of years. He is the explorer, telling the tale of his personal search for truth, and Orthodox Christianity is the new land, having already been established thousands of years in the past.

I went to pull a quote from the book for a talk that I was working on, got sidetracked, and found myself two hours later having reread a huge portion of it over again.

Please read this. If you don't like it I will let you punch me in the face as hard as you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique approach to the idea of knowing truth, January 19, 2012
M. Akers (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
Chesterton always makes my brain stretch. Not in a bad way, but rather he always seems to take a unique approach to a topic, forcing me to consider an idea from an entirely different perspective. In Orthodoxy he discusses the idea of objective truth. Not the relative truth of "what's true for you is not necessarily true for me" kind of thing. But real, uncompromising, in-your-face truth (of the 2+2=4 ilk). The book is full of lovely Chesterton nuggets (Thinking in isolation and pride ends with being an idiot). If you want some out-of-the-box thinking you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew a book with such a dry title could be so insightful and readable?, March 15, 2013
David C. Downing (Elizabethtown, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Orthodoxy (Kindle Edition)
This slender little book is a Chesterton classic, a good starting point for those who don't know Chesterton well. Don't be put off by the dry-sounding title,as the book is witty, insightful, and quotable. This is the kind of book you will want to own in print, as there are so many underlinable sentences. It is also a book you will want to re-read every few years, just for the experience that C. S. Lewis called "refreshment of the spirit."

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute genius, April 30, 2014
This review is from: Orthodoxy (Kindle Edition)
From the first page onward, nothing but truth pouring off of every paragraph. Something so hard to explain, made easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Orthodoxy (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Chesterton and will be reading more of his works. He is very witty, but not for the sake of wit. His purpose was to share how he found orthodoxy to be true, and in so doing, shares that which is true. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the Christian worldview.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Orthodoxy (Kindle Edition)
This is the classic book by Chesterton. It never gets old and is always worth the read. Read and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, July 11, 2013
This review is from: Orthodoxy (Kindle Edition)
Great, out-of-the-box outlook on: life, modern philosophy, and religion. Whether you are religious or not, Catholic or Protestant, Calvinist or Arminian this is a must read!

Orthodoxy