Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on April 21, 2014
Orville Redenbacher popcorn is always great because it is fresh. They sell a lot of it, and as long as you get it from a major source, you are sure to get fresh seed. Ok, I promised enlightenment, so let’s start with the price. I buy this popcorn in a BJ’s club store, but you should find it in other club stores too. I paid just in eight dollars for a jug that is right around 5lbs. It is also labeled as not NMO seed, something that is important to many consumers, even if congress refuses to forces these facts from being mandatory, it is a company’s best interest to label it if it is NMO.
The next bit of news is about how to properly heat popcorn to insure a full pop. Meaning that the popcorn will expand to its maximum volume. You might do this by accident, and may get it right every time, but maybe you don’t. Some think they have a bad batch of popcorn seed when they pop it wrong.
I use coconut oil, with yellow color. The yellow is beta carotene color, the same color that makes carrots orange. So the oil is not the same as what they put into Microwave popcorn, as Microwave popcorn will increase your bad cholesterol levels. The salt to use is called Flavorcol, and you will only need 1 teaspoon, or in my case, a little less. The proper oil to seed ratio is as follows. Poor oil into the Stainless steel popcorn pot until it just covers the bottom of the pot, you can use more, or less to suit your own tastes, and needs. Take a teaspoon of flavorcol and sprinkle it over the oil evenly. Drop seeds into the pot so that they cover the bottom in one layer, no space between them, and no more than one layer. If you use more, you will have too much. Feel free to measure how much seed that is, but I only measure the florocol. Popcorn seed has three components, the hull, moisture, and thick starch. The starch is what turns to a liquid when heated, and the moisture is what causes the kernel to explode and let that liquid hit the air and turn solid. If the popcorn is heated too fast, the moisture causes the seed to pop before the starch has completely thinned to a liquid. So I suggest that you set the heat medium, and wait for the seed to simmer. At some point one or more kernels will pop. At that point, turn the heat of to medium high. You should be using a Whirly pot, and I use the stainless model, which is wonderful. Once the seed takes off, it will go fast, so start turning the handle and keep the popped kernels moving so they don’t burn, and the un-popped kernels from riding up from the exploding kernel’s. This will result in so few un-popped seeds when you are finished. Do not buy the aluminum popcorn pot, buy the stainless model. I returned the aluminum model because of plastic gears, and because the pot has a very cheap look and feel. I also bought what I thought was gourmet popcorn seed from a popcorn seed internet company. I got petite gold, and one other. Don’t waste your money, I tried it twice and we all agreed it was not half as good as Orville’s popcorn. As you heat the Orville Redenbacher popcorns seed it will start to smell like sweet corn. When it is done, it will have a sweet corn flavor that is enhanced by the flovorcol, which has a butter flavor. Everyone who tasted my popcorn, call it gourmet popcorn, the best they ever had. I bought everything but the seed on Amazon.
Original Orville Redenbacher Popcorn is really great popcorn. It pops really well in my current Presto PopLite Hot Air Popper, in a paper bag in the microwave and in really old hot oil popper.

I became an Orville Redenbacher fan shortly after they came out last century. I've tried others but keep coming back to Orville and most often the original type. I have consistently had a very low rate of dead kernels and what pops tastes great.

I also like that Orville is Non-GMO. I don't really know what difference it makes but I'd rather not have some multinational conglomerate messin with my food's genetics so it creates its own pesticide and/or herbicide resistance... Yuk.

I get my supply of Orville Redenbacher at my local grocery or wholesale store. This size cost me just under $9 compared to just under $19 on Amazon as of when I am writing this review. Shop around and save money!

Unless you go through a lot of popcorn you might want to get a smaller size. Popcorn is best relatively fresh and it's a good idea to purchase where there is good turnover and fresh stock.
review image
on January 4, 2014
What can you say about popcorn?

I got this to go with the hot air popper...

it's a lot better than microwave popcorn in my opinion...add your own butter and salt and it takes about the same amount of time...

I believe it's also a bit more economical...

I cup makes enough for my department of 8 and gives us a mid-afternoon snack...
on April 12, 2014
We purchased a Hot Air popcorn popper and I needed to get some popcorn. Normally we purchase Pop Secret microwave because it seems to be the only popcorn I can eat and not get hulls stuck in my throat.And that is very annoying. So far, this product has worked out excellent.
on May 26, 2013
My first friend and I used to eat pop corn and watch TV when we were little boys in the 50's. I microwaved this pop corn even though it it is NOT microwave popcorn. It popped great! I need a large container like this one,92 oz, to satisfy my urge. Thank you Redenbachers.
on June 29, 2015
Our family finally found the right size jar for a popcorn loving household. It less expensive buying in bulk and we haven't run out of our first jug yet!
Also we enjoy eating this popcorn most of the kernals pop!
on June 14, 2015
Hey, it's Orville Redenbacher so it has to be good, right? The quality of the popcorn is great, but I expected the container to be bigger considering how much it cost. I definitely won't be buying at this price again.
on March 10, 2016
Bought a jug of this to go with the Lekue microwave popcorn popper for hubby for Christmas. Perfect combination! The popcorn pops completely. You can put a tablespoon of sugar and a pinch of salt in the bowl with the corn and make kettle corn. Excellent!!

By the way, all corn is NOT equal. We tested Jiffy Pop, Jolly Time, Trader Joe's and Walmart Good Value in our Lekue Microwave Popper. We used the same popper, same microwave and same amount of time. What can I say, we were bored. The Orville Reddenbacher was fluffier, tastier and had the least amount of un popped kernels. Hands down the best!! We will always buy the Reddenbacher from now on.
on March 5, 2015
I hate to admit it, but our small town grocery stores charge too much for their small packs of popcorn, and I hate microwaved options. This is a great price for the best popping corn. We have bought options for high end grocery stores...nothing compares. Nothing!
on October 26, 2015
I love being able to air pop my own popcorn at home and this does the trick. Great tasting healthy snack. Yum yum yum! I add a little butter flavoring sold by Orville as well. Then I add in some salt & pepper. Perfect for when I'm craving some late night snacks! :)