on May 30, 2013
Just received a large Gitman Oxford from Orvis. Was a little surprised by how large the shirt was. I was assuming that a large would be pretty form fitting on me as my chest measures a full 44.5 inches but the shirt still has plenty of room and is a bit blousy around the waist. This may change after I wash it and it shrinks a little but as of right now I am kinda disappointed in that regard.

Otherwise the TTX Cambridge Oxford fabric is very nice and has a decent weight to it (but probably not much more than 5 or 6 oz.
The color has a nice variegation to it and the collar points are long enough to get a good roll but I think I was expecting a little more wow factor for north of $100.
The shirt does have a very nice classic business cut to it even though I would prefer there was a little more cutaway in the collar to get it to lay down to the sides a bit more it is still a very nice classic business cut. Definitely has that professional tailor to it. In contrast I recently picked up a Mason's Clothing shirt (albeit a sport type shirt) and the collar was damn near perfect... It sits off the neck and purchases down on your collar bone while still having a nice clean fit.... Obviously this is a shirt that retails north of $200 but I got it for $85 and it gave me that "wow" factor I was hoping for with the Gitman... I ordered a total of 3 Gitman's despite my wanting to love this Made in the USA shirt, I am probably going to keep one and return the other two.

EDIT/ UPDATE: Washed and pressed the shirt... It shrank significantly and fits how I wanted it to. Collar is still a tad to high and tight for my personal taste but acceptable for business and with top two or three buttons undone in a casual style. Material is outstanding... Still needs a couple few more washes to break in and soften up but overall the material weight/ quality means this will be with me for a long time. The construction is outstanding, split yoke, outstanding uniformity in stitching and mother of pearl buttons... Its an oxford so doesnt have much of an excitement to it, but you can see were the US construction still means an extra level of attention to detail and a higher grade of craftsmanship.

Probably one of the best off the rack buys available for an oxford... O' Connel and Mercer may be its only peers... Beyond this you really need bespoke tailors to get this level of craftsmanship.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on July 8, 2012
There's not much to say about Gitman's shirts. Legendary construction, great details, high end fabric - "you get what you pay for" certainly applies to this shirt.

This shirt has lasted years and is made of a nice broadcloth that will probably outlive you. The fit is more tailored than most shirts, so be sure to do your research regarding how these fit. The armholes are slightly higher, and the "waist" of the shirt is narrower - this prevents the "billowing" that you see in most dress shirts. In terms of quality, this shirt easily gets 5 stars. Indestructible, relatively stain resistant, and stitched extremely well (compare to a shirt form the department store and you will easily see the difference). For fit, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better. Of course, the only kicker is price - $149 is a bit steep, but with increasing cotton and labor prices, this is to be expected. Buy 3 or 4 of these and expect to keep them for the rest of your life - it is well worth it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again