5.0 out of 5 stars Not hard to do yourself and it's rather rewarding
Published on December 21, 2011 by Mad in Mississippi

3.0 out of 5 stars great but small
if you are refinishing a coat this may be enough but if you are doing a previously un-proofed coat you will need 2 of these. otherwise it's good. the picture makes it seem like it's a large container and it's not.
Published on July 10, 2012 by WDP

5.0 out of 5 stars Not hard to do yourself and it's rather rewarding, December 21, 2011
This review is from: Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing (Misc.)
I was all ready to ship off my Barbour coat to have it rewaxed when I found a "how to" video on Youtube. It didn't look too difficult so I ordered the wax, followed the Youtube directions and even did the hairdryer tip. I am pleased with the results and it was a satisfying "yeah, me!" kind of experience. I was concerned that my much-loved coat would look splotchy as I didn't rub in the wax as evenly as I had hoped to, but the hairdryer took care of that and left a professional looking finish. You can do it! Go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, December 28, 2011
This review is from: Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing (Misc.)
Re-did my five year old waxed cotton Barbour with this. It was easier to use than I expected, and the jacket came out looking great.

3.0 out of 5 stars great but small, July 10, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars My Barbour Looks Like New, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing (Misc.)
I had never redressed my Barbur jacket, but I just followed the instructions carefully and now the garment looks like new. Very nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, from barbour., February 11, 2013
This review is from: Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing (Misc.)
Barbour, the quintessential British wax jackets are the best in the world. And they can last for generations using the Barbour Thorn-proof Dressing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great to restore an old jacket, April 28, 2012
This review is from: Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing (Misc.)
This worked great on my old "Briton" Waterproof Hunting jacket. "Briton" was a competitor of Barbour, except for the tags, you can't tell them apart.
I was concerned that my jacket was too far gone so I tried a little on some worn spots and just applied it with my fingers. Rubbing it in deeply and using my body heat and friction to make it soak in and smooth out. I then proceeded to do the entire jacket as directed.
It worked perfectly and I am so pleased with my restored jacket.
As another person has advised, watch the Barbour youtube video. Doing it on a hot day helps a lot but a hair drier is really all you need at room temperature. Be careful with the mess.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for waxed cotton, July 5, 2012
This review is from: Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing (Misc.)
Waxed cotton clothing is relatively high-maintenance, but I love the hat that friends brought back from Ireland as a gift. Before there was Gore-Tex, long before, there was waxed cotton. And it still keeps me dry and warm while breathing appropriately. I also happen to like the way it looks.

I typically re-wax my well-used hat once a year. The wax seems to wear off, or maybe it evaporates. I find that if I don't rewax it in the fall, it can leak somewhat on rainy winter days. I have, however, been able to go without waxing it for a couple of of seasons occasionally.

The first few times I waxed my hat, I borrowed a can of wax from a friend who doesn't like waxing his long jacket. A hat is easy to touch up. A jacket is a lot of work.

Whatever brand of wax he had was really easy to use. It was a little thicker than petroleum jelly and needed almost no prep to apply. After application I went over the hat carefully with a hair dryer and melted the wax into the seams and the rest of the fabric. Waxed fabric is usually a little greasy when it's first redone. It's also a little stiff, but break-in doesn't take long.

The Barbour brand works fine, but it's thicker than the previous wax I had used. I had to put the can into a pan of hot water to make it soft. It spread easily over the cotton fabric with my fingers and melted in well with the hair dryer. Maybe I put too much wax on, but my hat was stiffer than usual, although it softened as winter wore on.

If you're all about convenience, you don't want waxed cotton. But if you like the look and want to appreciate how people stayed comfortable in wet climates without synthetics, give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serial thornproofer, July 26, 2013
This review is from: Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing (Misc.)
It may never be exactly like new, but reproofing my Bedale is a pleasure, recommend it thoroughly. I do it twice a year and its a cinch

5.0 out of 5 stars made my old belstaff like new again, July 13, 2013
This review is from: Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing (Misc.)
it is a lot of work to put this on right , but the end result is well worth it

3.0 out of 5 stars Barbour wax for Cotten fabrics, July 10, 2013
This review is from: Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing (Misc.)
The wax was relatively easy to work with.
It helped that I went online and looked at the videos.
The amount of wax I got for the $27 wasn't very much.
I don't think I would use this product again,
As there are the less expensive products on the market

Orvis Men's Barbour Thornproof Dressing