5.0 out of 5 stars Great ukulele, poor customer service
Great ukulele with a quality body and great sound. Great for beginners and it's more exciting with the pickup. At first, it'll keep going out of tune but in time it adjusts.

Published on March 18, 2010 by C. Toh

2.0 out of 5 stars For $200, I expect better intonation.
Published on September 1, 2010 by (L)SD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ukulele, poor customer service, March 18, 2010
This review is from: Oscar Schmidt by Washburn OU5LCE Long Neck Concert Acoustic-Electric Ukulele (Electronics)

The company itself (US music corp) has really poor customer service. I emailed them about the UC3 case and it fitting this longneck ukulele. Two separate emails from the same person with two answers. Then, I called the person and in a demeaning tone, "of course it will fit, the UC3 case is for tenor ukuleles and that one is a tenor ukulele." I said, "I saw a couple reviews that it will not fit the longneck." His reply: "Oh, I thought you meant a different model." Regardless, I bought the UC3 case from Amazon and it does in fact fit this longneck ukulele well.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good gift for a musician, February 10, 2010
Robert "Flightdog" (New Hope, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my wife after her visit to Santa Cruz California, home of the Santa Cruz Ukulele Club. This was a good mid-range instrument, meaning that it is affordable but still has some nice features. The quality and look of the instrument is very good. The tone is above average, but spending more might get you one that sounds better. The strings are adequate, but after a couple of months of use, she is already looking to restring it with some higher quality strings that will hold it in tune better. The pick-up is fun, and she has plugged it into her practice amp for some additional noise. For what she plans to use it for (strumming on the beaches of CA with friends this summer by the bonfire) it is perfect and (unlike her guitar) it fits in the overhead of an airplane!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Ukulele!, May 23, 2012
Before anything else, let me just remind you that it would take about a week or two for the strings to settle so don't expect it to hold the tune good for its first week.

Out of the box, the OU5LCE looked fantastic. I believe it came with Aquila Nylgut strings which are BTW amazing. It sounded great but the intonation isn't that great but still good enough to play some decent songs.
However, it sounds beautiful with a little strumming and average plucking. And with the nylgut strings it sounds bright and peaceful.

PROS:
good sound for price
amazing pre-amp + pickup!
great feel and build (doesn't feel like a toy)

CONS:
the tone as the frets go higher gradually increases some cents away from what it should be and goes back gradually approaching the 12th fret
rosewood fret is a bit hard to bend because of the friction
sustain isn't that great

Overall it's a great buy and a beautiful instrument. :) Consider getting this for your first ukulele (don't get fooled of mediocre quality just because you haven't had experience with ukuleles)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Little Ukulele, January 18, 2012
This is my first uke, but I don't think my last. I love this little thing. First off, it is a thing of beauty. The abalone binding and soundhole purfling are just gorgeous. The koa top, back, and sides are also just beautiful. It is put together very nicely. I didn't feel like I was handling a toy, but a serious instrument. After I tuned it up, I started playing and the sound is amazing. I've not yet plugged it into an amp, but just by itself it holds it's own. The mahogany (Nato) neck is very comfortable as is it's rosewood fretboard. This is a concert ukulele, but has a longer neck which gives it a better balance. It's topped off by Grover open back machine heads that really keep it in tune, once it settles in, of course. I bought the Oscar Schmidt UC4 Tenor Ukulele case and it fits the ukulele perfectly. My only complaint, and it's a small one...not one that will make me send it back, is that in the description, it states that the uke has a gloss finish. It doesn't. It is a satin finish, but it actually looks really good. I still hope to find one with a gloss finish at some point, but this one will do nicely until that day.

2.0 out of 5 stars For $200, I expect better intonation., September 1, 2010
(L)SD (Dallas, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
For $198 dollars, I would expect better 'intonation'. The high "a" string in particular always sounds a little 'off'. (I use an electronic tuner.) I expect new strings to stretch a little, but even after owning it for 3 weeks, none of the strings hold a tune for more than a few minutes. I don't know what brand of strings it came with, maybe a different/better brand would stay in tune better. The electronic pickup works, but haven't played it through an amp enough to give an opinion on the sound quality of the electronics.

5.0 out of 5 stars great uke. But UC3 case doesn't fit, September 14, 2009
this is a beautiful ukulele with wonderful sound. well worth the investment. my one problem with the order is that the suggested UC3 case made by oscar shmidt, does not fit the uke. the uke is a long neck, and therefore about an inch too long for the case. i am still looking for a nice case...

5.0 out of 5 stars Oscar Schmidt OU5LCE, March 8, 2014
George W (Puyallup, WA, US) - See all my reviews
A lot of uke at a great price. Very nicely made, nice wide neck for easy fretting. Good pickup for enhancing audio sound--very pretty to boot! Highly recommended. Sound good acoustically as well.