5.0 out of 5 stars 1 Bag, 2 Months - Perfect for Long Term Urban Backpacking
Published 13 months ago by Climin

2.0 out of 5 stars Much better options for the price
Published 6 months ago by John

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 Bag, 2 Months - Perfect for Long Term Urban Backpacking, July 23, 2013
Just to preface, I am an avid traveler and have been on many 2-6 month trips with a roller bag or a traditional top loading backpack. I have done over a thousand miles on the appalachian trail and have lived in several different countries. I can absolutely say this is a Great Bag! For this particular trip we traveled for two months in India and acrosss Europe on trains, bikes, cars, and planes. This bag did it all. The back pack straps are comfortable and the hipbelt is substantial enough to work. The space is adequate for all your clothes and some souvenirs. The bag is not very heavy which is nice, but the material is very solid and took the airport beatings and anything else I could throw at it. The zippers are heavy duty and track well. The sleeping bag compartment is nice for shoes or stinky socks or wet bathing suits. Pack it like a suit case and carry it like backpack. I reccomend this pack over a traditional hiking back pack because it is easier to pack than a top loader, and on long trips where you're taking more than a pair of shorts and a few t-shirts, its nice to be able to open the pack all the way up. I also found the side pockets handy for organizing small nick nacks. There are two, one accessible from the inside and outside of the pack, and one only from the inside, they both run the full length of the pack. The handles are nice and make the pack easy to maneuver or throw and the curvature of the back panel makes it comfortable to carry as luggage. The detachable backpack was my only complaint, the way the zipper works on it is just weird, you have to throw the straps over the front of the bag to access the backpack through the back panel. This was super annoying for about one whole month until I finally got used to it. It does provide ample space though and the two waterbottle pockets were handy...not that they would hold a 1 qt Nalgene or anything, but regular 12/16 oz water bottles fit just fine. There is also a computer pouch that I used to hold my camel back. It has several pockets and is easy to keep things organized. Good carry on, i never strapped it back to the main backpack as I kept it close with my ipad and passport etc...I never write reviews and I said during the whole trip that I would make a point to review this pack because it was just perfect. If you are going to be in a place where you need to be mobile and won't be able to take anything with wheels, or have lots of steps and walking to do..this pack is great. I got the farpoint first and it was just too small...switched to the waypoint and have been reccomending it to everyone I know taking urban backpacking trips. I'm 5'6 and the medium was not too large for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic do-it-all travel pack built by the backpack masters, August 4, 2013
This review is from: Osprey Men's Waypoint 85 Backpack (Sports)
I wore this awesome pack around the world for more than a year and a half, from late 2009 through mid 2011, truly testing it's limits during the times I had it heavily loaded (at *least* 50 lbs a few times - I was often *just* at the weight limit for most airlines) when I'd be coming from a cold climate and entering a warm one, e.g. all my warm clothes and everything else was inside it while I was forced back into shorts and flip flops, such as when I arrived in SE Asia. In new zealand where I was for the better part of a year, I even took it on a few multi-night treks. While it wasn't as secure in terms balance while hiking as atrue backpacking pack would be (largely because it loads outward much more than it loads upward) the compression straps and other features still make it perform just fine even for that application and i never felt sorry to have it with me. The thing is bulletproof and survived MANY baggage checks and train rides. I still have it and Osprey has sent me a couple replacement buckles that failed, no charge or questions asked. I wouldn't hesitate to take it around the world for another year and a half and I'm sure it would make it just fine. It is certianly worn now and faded in places, but nothing major has failed or is looking stressed enough that it might. And even it it did I know I'd be taken care of now. Can't say enough about this company and the packs they make. The best. Period. This pack is happiest when helping you transport your worldly possessions from place to place to place... It wants to do this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome backpack, November 15, 2012
The materials and construction are high quality. It lasted through 6 months of intense travel all over the world. It dries quickly if it gets wet, there are compartments for almost every use one can conceive of, it's comfortable to carry (even heavily loaded), and the detachable day-pack is extremely useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pack., September 29, 2012
I wore this pack around the world for 12 months through 26 countries while traveling with my family. It was loaded on the tops of buses, into taxis, on donkey carts, on camels and hauled around through dirt filled streets and is in the same shape as it was when we left. Great Great pack. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars best backpack ever, May 20, 2013
I traveled with the Osprey Waypoint 85 for 6 months all around the world and I really don't think I could have found a better backpack. The bag is very durable, very big (i'm 6'2 so that wasn't an issue for me but it your aren't as tall than you might want to go for a smaller bag) and the best part is the smaller detachable backpack which i'm still using on a daily basis after I got back home from the long trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban wanderlust, May 23, 2014
Although this would not work well if you were a thru-hiker on the Appalachian Trail, the Osprey Waypoint 85 is perfect for urban wanderlust. This is strongly constructed and the outside is streamlined so it doesn't catch on stuff. It was my best-mate for three weeks in Shanghai, Xian, Shijiazhuang and Beijing. Normally, I'm an independent traveler, but my lack of Mandarin required a tour package in China. At every bus stop and train station, this bag allowed me fast and efficient movement, while I always had to wait for all the idiots dragging their damn wheely suitcases. Their slow and awkward movements would be funny if it wasn't so annoying. I found it comfortable, but it will require strength in your legs and back, but that kind of exercise is good for you. It is a bit small for many weeks of travel, but hey - do you really need all that crap? Leave behind all those possessions that burden your soul and travel fast and light. If you have that philosophy, this is the perfect bag for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this. Practical and Easy, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Osprey Men's Waypoint 85 Backpack (Sports)
Watch the video review here:
[...]

This one is for the world travellers looking for the perfect pack to bring with them.

We were waiting for our bus to San Francisco and decided to do an impromptu review on our packs:

Osprey Waypoint 85 Liter Men and Women versions.

The only thing I forgot to talk about was the comfortable handles on the side and top.
Mike's rating: 4.5 / 5

Enjoy the video to hear what we have to say about our packs for our walk the Earth trip.

Regina and Mike

2.0 out of 5 stars Much better options for the price, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Osprey Men's Waypoint 85 Backpack (Sports)
Having travelled globally non-stop for 11 months now using this pack I would recommend using a proper backpack instead, or if you're not worried about weight as much then one with wheels. The weight distribution of this pack is awful, especially with the day pack zipped to the main pack. I never do that now and just wear it on my front. All the clips are broken, the first in a week, as are all the zip ties with a useless moulded end. I've packed this according to osprey instructions and at tops your looking at a 30min walk with this. Every single time I put it on I have to reset the straps and readjust it again as it never keeps, this is so annoying when you need to get places. The concealment of the straps for travel is great, but lots of other products do this. The day pack is pretty small and easily full, but the opening from the back is a good security thing. So, I'd recommend a proper backpack with a frame support maybe, to save your back. That'll also allow non-valuable items like thongs and water to be clipped to the side. The elastic pockets to the side of the wayfinder are only good for loo roll and bad for airport security unless you get it wrapped as things can be slipped into it. I'd then recommend a separate day pack. Other osprey products in their backpack and day pack range are loads better than this, it just isn't worth its high cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong, December 29, 2013
This review is from: Osprey Men's Waypoint 85 Backpack (Sports)
This is a great travel pack. It seems as if Osprey thought of everything when they made this thing. I've been using it for 4 years—it's seen every weather condition and lots of pavement—and it's still going strong. My only issue with the pack is the detachable daypack. It's great that the daypack fits into the main pack, but if you're like me and you use a more robust daypack, you'll want to toss the Waypoint's daypack. The good news is that I've managed to attach more than one alternative daypack to the daypack "slot". If Osprey dropped the price a bit and just did away with the lame daypack, I'd give the Waypoint 85 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of gear!!, June 11, 2014
Good all rounder, very comfortable, very strong and sturdy.
This bag is very practical and is well thought out.
Perfect for trekking and backpack travelling.

Rate and Discover Movies