Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Osprey Packs Atmos 50 Backpack (Graphite Grey, Large)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Large|Color: Graphite Grey|Change
Price:$294.14 - $582.96

on July 3, 2012
I bought this pack to walk the Camino in Spain. This pack was light and very comfortable. It had lots of room, pockets on waist belt that work great for snacks and a digital camera, and was set up for a camelbak. I just can't say enough good things about this pack. Walked 8 hours a day in rain sun, up hils and up hills and more hills, rain and shine. The shoulder straps are made with a ventilated foam that allows for airflow.

One thing is that you should ensure is that you get the right size (S,M,L). I figured I would wear a Large, but actually fit a Medium. Their site tells you how to size but you could go to REI. I am 5'10 and the medium was perfect. I carried around 20-25 pounds without issues. The back of the frame is a mesh that was surprisingly comfortable, and I loved it.

You can unhook the top pouch and carry seperate, maybe like a "man purse" or carry your valuables with you in hostels. The top pouch also had a mesh pocket in addition to the top pocket. This offered a little more security for paperwork.

I did see alot of people wearing their packs incorrectly. You must cinch the waist tight and the weight is on your hips, the shoulder straps just keep the pack upright and sould not really support much weight. The waist belt is the key.

Also, Osprey comes out with new versions every couple of years. This one that I purchased was the newest version. You can tell by the color and logo on the back. Be sure you check that out if you purchase although I bet all their packs are great.
66 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2013
I use this pack in a different way than I believe it was intended to be used. I take it as my airplane carry-on as I hate to check a bag. I pack light, so I can bring everything I need for a week or more (depending on climate) in this pack. I was concerned about the dimensions meeting the airline regulated carry-on size...but I had no trouble at all (with Delta at least). I had no problem going through security and there was more than enough room in the overhead compartment. The Atmos 50 makes it so easy to travel with everything on your back as opposed to dragging the typical, pull behind, wheeled carry-on. This pack is very comfortable, has many convenient features, and is my new go-to carry on.
on October 11, 2014
I purchased this bag in 2010 for a 3+ month trip thru India, Nepal and Thailand. This bag is amazing! i had all of my winter/trekking gear loaded into this and had no problems with fit in the Atmos 50. Sleeping bag, Therma rest ultra lite pad, Danner combat hikers, winter jkt, rain gear, gloves etc plus normal everyday wear and accessories and still had room left over! Okay, you will learn how to pack your pack so you will be able to get to things as you need them but that's part of the fun of traveling, you learn what you DONT NEED to bring. (also there's a reason why they make all of that hi tech/light weight gear/clothing and its a good one) I really like the dual side loaded pockets too, i seem to be able to get underwear, socks, t-shirts, microlite travel towel and silk sleep sheet all into this section alone!leaving the bigger part of the pack for bulkier stuff.
The sherpa/guide (an amazing person who i had a lot of fun with trekking) who was with me in the Annapurnas in Nepal said that it was the most comfortable pack he'd ever carried yet. This bag sits nicely on your waist and does not feel like you have that much weight on your back and that space between your back and the bag is a huge + comfortable to move around with even standing around for long periods with it on is no problem. I have even had people tell me "i should have bought one of those instead of this thing".

Since that trip this bag has been to the Peruvian Amazon, Laos, Europe and many other places, with more to come!

This bag was recommended to me by someone in a shop who saw i was trying it on, he asked where i was going and after i told him he said he owned it and then said "just buy it! it will serve all of your needs" (he was also buying another Osprey bag) He was right and now i just bought another Osprey pack (a Mantra 28) and cant wait to retire two other day packs that hurt to wear and just don't cut it compared to these Osprey bags. Very satisfied with Osprey for quality all around, Highly recommended.
on June 15, 2013
This pack is small and compact. Great for if your gear meets the same criteria. Although since the pack is curved it can make it difficult to properly fit all the things you want to stuff inside it. So the last issue is why the 4 star review.

(6/24/13)Just used this pack on a week long hike in YOSEMITE. Although it can be difficult to pack all your things inside this pack, once you know how to move things around and organize all your gear, I had no problems and was able to fit all my things including a bear canister. Has multiple pockets and the top storage has lots of room for multiple items. Had no problems with this pack. WORKS GREAT FOR ME.
The curve in the torso allows your back to dry on those hot days when your back sweats. This had to be one of my favorite things about the pack despite packing issues.

The pack does require SOME ADJUSTMENT. Because of the curve in the torso, it feels farther from your back but has two straps by the shoulders to bring it closer. It can bother you at first, but after a day or two of use I quickly became accustomed to the design. Not something to worry about.

I CAN NOW SAY THIS IS A 5-STAR PACK.

Cant go wrong with an OSPREY!
on April 23, 2013
I purchased this pack last year for traveling as I learned on my first European excursion that a rolling carry-on was NOT the way to go.

As others have noted, the design of the frame curves in to the main pack. This does limit you a bit, especially if you plan on bringing a small laptop or iPad with you. I've found it's best to place your iPad in first, then pack around it.

I have the small size (I'm 5'7") and have had no problems with carry on during both international flights and domestic flights on Lufthansa, Swiss, American, and United. During my international adventures, I had the pack fully loaded and it fit fine in the overhead bins. During my domestic trips, I removed a few things from the top lid and put them in my day pack and it fit without a problem.

One hint: Pack from the outside in. Meaning, pack the two pockets on the outside before packing the inside. It's easier and you'll fit more in that way.
on July 10, 2014
First off, go to the Osprey website. They are very helpful, particularly the "specifications" tab (of the individual packs/sizes).

This pack is very light and comfortable but is not designed to carry a heavy load. It works for me for minimalist backpacking - ultralight everything, no cooking (or someone else carries the kitchen).

This pack is a top loader with an "hourglass" shape: Efficiently packing the bottom corners of the main compartment can be a challenge, as is accessing them. I carry an (empty) bear canister lashed to the daisy chains and an ultralight tent/Ridegrest pad on the bottom. As with most all Osprey packs, the "side pockets" that most consider "water bottle" pockets are difficult to use and asses for anything other than the smallest bottles.

The outside vertical zippered pockets, along with the top compartment are very useful and hard to find features in a pack this light.

The Atmos 65 was not as comfortable for me.

Osprey makes a lot of nice packs.

See also reviews @ REI. Try packs on if you can. Other packs may be better for your needs.

HTH
on September 26, 2013
I've had Kelty & North Face bags before. For the same volume, this one weighs less, but is equally durable. I also like the vented back to manage sweat. The coloring is great too. One of the most important things not to skimp on is the stitching. Osprey never disappoints.
on February 16, 2014
I have taken this pack out on numerous hikes so far and have enjoyed it thoroughly. Took a few trial runs to get it dialed in so the weight of the 25lb pack would mostly ride on the hip/waist. I don't completely let the shoulder straps ride above my shoulders. Feels as if the weight is somewhat distributed between the shoulders and hip/waist. I didn't realize how comfortable it was until I took my day pack out and my back began to sweat. The gap between my back and the pack really helps keep my back cool.

My gear is not on the ultralight side. I carry a Marmot Limelight 2P (~5lbs) , a 40 degree bag (~2lbs) that packs down to a 6 liter stuff sack and a Therma-Rest Trail Lite sleep pad (1lbs-12oz.). The big three fill the pack to 3/4 full. Although, I choose to carry the pad on the outside of the pack in a stuff sack. It also helps keep the bag upright when attached to the bottom of the pack which is a bonus. Without the pad attached to the bottom, the pack has to propped up against a tree to keep it upright. In this configuration I can easily carry the rest of my gear on the inside of the pack.

I am very happy with my purchase.
on May 11, 2013
I have been wanting a multi-day pack for a long time now. After much research and comparison, I had my choices narrowed down to the Osprey Kestrel 48 and the Atmos 50. I went to my local REI to fit both packs and came to the following judgements:

While I liked the style and extra features of the Kestrel, I had serious hip belt issues. I am 6'1", 180 lbs, 32" waist. The Kestrel is only sized to s/m and m/l. Even with the s/m, I was near maxed out on the hip belt. With the high likelihood of losing weight on thru-hikes, I was very hesitant to purchase the pack. The Atmos (M) was much more comfortable. It would do well with a separate sleeping bag compartment and vert zip for main pouch, but is an all around great bag. I plan on making some mods to the pack. I will be calling the company and see if the warranty will still cover potential issues in the future unrelated to such mods. Also, the Atmos does NOT come with a rain bag (available for purchase separately). It has waterproof zippers but better safe than sorry. I look forward to taking in on the JMT next year. Highly recommended for comfort and design.
l
on March 31, 2013
This is a great backpack with a lot of adjustment options in the straps. I've only worn it with about 21 pounds in it on a 3.5 mile hike to test it, but it seems to fit great. My only complaint so far is that its difficult to fit even a compressed sleeping bag inside the pack's main compartment, the backboard of the pack is curved so you have to force the sleeping bag around the curve to get it into the bottom of the pack. I'm going to try loading my sleeping pad inside the pack instead and strapping my bag on the outside. hopefully this will work better.
If you have a larger or fluffy sleeping bag you might want to go with a pack that has more capacity, simply to make it easier to load.
An improvement to the pack might be a separate sleeping bag compartment, or better/longer attachment straps for a sleeping bag on the outside of the pack.