5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely a miracle!
Published on January 18, 2012 by S. Ghosh

2.0 out of 5 stars If you are prone to GERD stay away
I used the product and found it helped with joint pain as does the other Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM products on the market however I am prone to GERD. I couldnt understand why I was getting GERD flare-ups but eventually I suspected the Osteo-Bi Flex with the Boswellia serrata extract was the cause so upon looking into it I found that a common side effect(s) is:...
Published on March 2, 2012 by Treehugger©

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely a miracle!, January 18, 2012
This review is from: Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength, 120 Coated Caplets (Health and Beauty)
I had been taking another brand of glucosamine/MSM for many months and did not feel as if I was improving. My right knee still hurt; both knees still "popped" when I walked, and I was still waking up in the middle of the night with lower back pain. I have a host of chronic illnesses - including MS, Fibromyalgia, and lupus. After FOUR days of taking this supplement, both my knees stopped popping, my right knee felt so great I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes - and had NO PAIN! I slept through the night, and my lower back does not hurt! Like I said - Absolutely A Miracle!

2.0 out of 5 stars If you are prone to GERD stay away, March 2, 2012

One of the most common side effects of Boswellia serrata extract, when it's used at recommended doses, is mild gastrointestinal upset. Discomfort may include nausea, heartburn, stomach pain, a feeling of fullness or diarrhea.

The day after I stopped taking the Osteo-Bi Flex with the 5-Loxin (Boswellia serrata extract) the esophageal burning disappeared completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, July 11, 2013
I'm told that this product does not work for everybody. I started using it only after going to the bone doctor for steroid shots. I had one knee done that I thought was the worst, and waited (no insurance) on the other. On the way out the nurse suggested I try this stuff. I bought a bottle and started taking one in the morning and one at night. The knee that had the shots was better right away, but to my surprise, the knee I was waiting on got better too! I know of no other reason than I started taking Bi-Flex. I tried a cheaper brand and my knees started to hurt again. Back on this product and my knees are fine. Take it for what it's worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more pain, January 14, 2014
Ron Thomas (LAWRENCE, KS, US) - See all my reviews
I have never made a review on anything in my life, but I felt the need to share this.

Osteo Bi-Flex was suggested to me by a co-worker for the arthritis I was having in my hands. I had so much pain and stiffness in my fingers when I woke up in the mornings that I had to painfully massage my fingers for 10-15 minutes before I was able to use my hands in the morning. I also was taking six to eight Tylenol every day to help with the pain.

When it was suggested to me to try Osteo Bi-Flex, I was told that it would take 2-3 weeks before it would start making a difference, and that was right on. Now after taking Osteo Bi-Flex for three months I have zero pain in the morning, and haven't taken a Tylenol for a couple of months.

This stuff is like a miracle, and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who is having problems with arthritis in their hands. Just give it time to work, it's not going to happen overnight. Thank you Osteo Bi-Flex.

4.0 out of 5 stars So what the heck is Boswellia Serrata resin and why is it in this?, February 27, 2013
Hi- So many reviewers have stated that this product is great, so I am going to try it. What I didn't have a clue about was why Indian frankincense ( Boswellia Serrata ) or Salai referred to in Sanskrit as shallaki is included in this product. So here is what I found....

Boswellia is an herb that has boswellic acids. Various species are used in traditional herbal medicine in India and African countries for the treatment of a variety of diseases. Animal experiments show anti-inflammatory activity of the extract. The mechanism of this action is due to boswellic acids which are different from NSAIDs. Extracts from boswellia herb inhibit 5-lipoxygenase.

Take a boswellia supplement with food
Taking this product with a meal appears to help the absorption.

Anti-inflammatory benefits
Boswellia Serrata is an ancient Ayurvedic herb from India and known among herbalists as a treatment for arthritis. It is also beneficial in helping inflammation and joint health. Extracts of boswellia serrata have natural anti-inflammatory activity at sites where chronic inflammation is present by switching off pro-inflammatory cytokines and mediators, which initiate the process. Analysis of the ingredients of these extracts revealed that the pentacyclic triterpenes boswellic acids possess biological activities and appear to be responsible for the respective pharmacological actions.

Boswellia and osteoarthritis
Efficacy and tolerability of Boswellia serrata extract in treatment of osteoarthritis of knee--a randomized double blind placebo controlled trial. Phytomedicine. 2003; Kimmatkar N, Thawani V, Hingorani L. MS Orthopedics, Indira Gandhi Medical College, Nagpur, India. It posses good anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic and analgesic activity. A randomized double blind placebo controlled crossover study was conducted to assess the efficacy, safety and tolerability of Boswellia serrata Extract in 30 patients of osteoarthritis of knee, 15 each receiving active drug or placebo for eight weeks. After the first intervention, washout was given and then the groups were crossed over to receive the opposite intervention for eight weeks. All patients receiving the herbal treatment reported decrease in knee pain, increased knee flexion and increased walking distance. The frequency of swelling in the knee joint was decreased. Radiologically there was no change. The observed differences between drug treated and placebo being statistically significant, are clinically relevant. Boswellia serrata Extract was well tolerated by the subjects except for minor gastrointestinal symptoms. Boswellia serrata Extract is recommended in the patients of osteoarthritis of the knee with possible therapeutic use in other arthritis.

Boswellia and asthma
Effects of Boswellia serrata gum resin in patients with bronchial asthma: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled, 6-week clinical study.
Eur J Med Res. 1998; Gupta I, Gupta V, Gupta S, Lüdtke R, Safayhi H, Ammon HP. Pharmakologie für Naturwissenschaftler, Pharmazeutisches Institut der Universität Tübingen, Tübingen, Germany.
The gum resin of Boswellia serrata, known in Indian Ayurvedic system of medicine as Salai guggal, contains boswellic acids, which have been shown to inhibit leukotriene biosynthesis. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study forty patients, 23 males and 17 females in the age range of 18 - 75 years having mean duration of illness, bronchial asthma, were treated with a preparation of gum resin of 300 mg thrice daily for a period of 6 weeks. 70% of patients showed improvement of disease as evident by disappearance of physical symptoms and signs such as dyspnea, rhonchi, number of attacks, increase in FEV subset1, FVC and PEFR as well as decrease in eosinophilic count and ESR. In the control group only 27% of patients showed improvement. The data show a definite role of gum resin of Boswellia serrata in the treatment of bronchial asthma.

Boswellia side effects, is it safe?
No major boswellia serrata side effects have been mentioned in medical journals
( These research facts are quoted directly from [...] )

Vitamin C is another good anti inflamitory and supports the health of human cells, but I know I am sometimes sensitive to GERD. I suspect that the C in this is not buffered and may not be easy on my system ( like the buffered C or Esther C formulations on the market.), so I plan to take this product with a meal, earlier in the day & without meat, juice, coffee or other acid producing to reduce the chance that it will updet my digestion. Will update this review in a week or two and let you know if it helped me or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended for people with joints problems, May 1, 2013
The best product for people who are suffering of joints problems. I personally underwent 4 knee surgeries and this product made miracles in my knee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, May 5, 2011
Five months ago I received a bone scan that revealed my hip joints had degenerated due to my juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. I'd been taking a pain killer ever since for my hip pain. I tried THIS product and I can only attest to the fact I am no longer on pain killers. With just two of these tablets per day. That should say it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars DOES THE JOB, May 2, 2014
AVOID ARTHRITIS
Nearly 25 years ago, I was diagnosed with arthritis in my left hip, which was confirmed by X-ray. So I began a program of 1 calcium supplement (usually Citracal) and 1 glucosamine/chondroitin (usually Osteo-Bi-Flex) tablet a day. Today, 25 years later, I have no arthritis---or at least no symptoms. I was a kid of 40 with arthritis, and now I'm an old geezer, but arthritis-free.

BETTER THAN OTHER BRANDS ?
I don't know. But I doubt that there is a better product available.

MIRACLE PAIN RELEIF ?
Many other reviewers claim miraculous relief from pain in a few days. You can't build new healthy bones and joint cartilage in a couple of days. If people get pain relief in a few days, it is either a placebo effect, or the result of an anti-inflammatory ingredient. Want pain relief?---take Ibuprophen or Aleve when it hurts. Want strong bones and joints? Take glucosamine/chondroitin and calcium supplements DAILY for the rest of your life.

SWALLOWING LARGE PILLS
Note that the caplets are large, and some folks have problems swallowing them. Formerly, I did too, but after adopting an old butter dish (about 2" in diameter) for my various pills, I learned to just "toss them back"---like a shot of whiskey. I swallow all ten pills, including three other pills the size of the Osteo-Bi-Flex caplet, in one easy swallow, and never gag. The problem is when you put one big caplet on your tongue and try to swallow it---your throat clenches. Instead, take a sip of water, hold it in your mouth, toss-back the pills, and swallow. The small plastic "shot glasses" which come with many medications work well for this purpose.

ONE, TWO, THREE PILLS? DOUBLE STRENGTH? TRIPLE STRENGTH?
When I started taking these, 25 years ago, they were just too darn expensive ($1-2/tablet) to take 3-per-day (as the directions called for). So, I've always taken one-a-day, everyday (regardless of the strength). These are NOT like aspirin (to be taken when your arthritis is acting up---which many other reviewers imply), they are more like vitamins (to be taken to keep your joints healthy so that they don't develop arthritis). Consistency is more important than dosage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing results, February 8, 2012
B. Burris "Professor" (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
I recently went back to taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM because of severe arthritic pain in my left knee that suddenly emerged. (I had stopped taking it about a year ago because of a major study that showed that Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MCM was not effective, but have since learned that this study was funded by Celebrex...anyway, that is another story.)
I had been taking another Glucosamine supplement for about two months, as well as using Penetrex as a topical anti-inflammatory and doing PT exercises. My knee pain had lessened substantially. However, when I shifted to the Osteo Bi-Flex, my knee pain pretty much completely vanished...within three days! At first, I couldn't figure out what could have caused the improvement, but the only change I had made was shifting to the Osteo Bi-Flex, so I have to think that it made a real difference and surprisingly quickly. I'm definitely going to continue taking this indefinitely to hang on to the cartilage I have left. My orthopedic specialist says that Glucosamine effects are the placebo effect, but I don't think so. (Maybe he is receiving gifts from Celebrex). However, if this is the placebo effect, I'm all for it...no pain and no side effects (that I know of).

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS PRODUCT, June 15, 2013
This product takes about 2-3 weeks to kick in. I was taking 2 pills every morning, and within the 3rd week, my knee pain, thumb pain, and someof my back pain started to go away! IT was always difficult for me to kneel down to pick something up and then stand back up. First of all my knee would kill me to bend when I knelt, and then to stand back up it hurt and was just not strong enough to help me, so I would have to use a counter or something to help me up. After a month of taking this product, I can literally do squats with my knee and there is only a slight pain, nothing like it was before. I HIGHLY recommend this product.

Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength, 120 Coated Caplets