5.0 out of 5 stars A real performerrrf
Published on June 25, 2010 by Al Dante

1.0 out of 5 stars absolute junk..here's my story
Based on the other reviews for this product, I felt this would be an economical and well performing blender. It has only led to disappointment and frustration for me.
Published on February 9, 2011 by Serious Black

1.0 out of 5 stars absolute junk..here's my story, February 9, 2011
Serious Black (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster 6811 6-Cup Glass Jar 12-Speed Blender, Brushed Nickel (Kitchen)
I bought this blender at the store. The next day, I used it to blend batches of pumpkin soup. I have plenty of experience with Oster blenders, having owned the beehive model for several years. Yet I could not get the jar to sit securely on the motor base. It always seemed to have some wobble to it. I blended my soup, but somehow it didn't sound quite right to me, and there was a slight burning smell when it ran. Upon inspection I found that the drive shaft could be moved back and forth with my fingers. Looking through the vent at the bottom, I could see the whole motor was moving back and forth as I did this. About a 1/4 inch!
I had already registered the warranty online, so I sent an e-mail to the company asking about this issue. It took two days to hear back from them, so in the meantime I returned the blender to the store. While there I decided to check the other blenders to see if I should just exchange it. I opened every single Oster blender box out on the shelves, including the beehive thinking maybe I should just pay the additional $20 and get another of those. They ALL had loose drive-shafts! Some were better than the 1/4 inch of play, but none were secure and tight like a power-motor shaft should be.
I heard from Jarden (the parent company) a couple days later saying nothing about the issue, only that they were sending me a new unit and I would be messaged when it was sent. It took them a week to post the replacement to me.
When I finally got it, you can guess the first thing I did. This one had even more play! The motor literally rattled around in the base. I thought "that's it! I need to know what the problem with these things is!" and checked it out.
Being a power equipment mechanic myself, I was quickly able to ascertain the most likely reason. It seems as though there is a piece missing. I don't know whether it was overlooked in engineering the product or during the assembly process. The only thing securing the motor in the base is a pair of buffers on either side, held in place by the two halves of the base housing, which aren't held very secure at that. There logically should be some type of buffer securing the top where the drive shaft exits the top of the housing. That is where the play is allowing the shaft to move back and forth, and therefore the whole motor moves back and forth.
I wrote Jarden back, and tactfully explained all that. Two days later I got another vague reply explaining that.."In general our products are very well made and our problems are few and far between." and stating.."We apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your business and are happy to help if you have any further questions." Help me what? Frustrating is an understatement. I'm very disappointed in Oster.
It used to be that Oster was possibly the best name in blenders. Do yourself a favor, and buy another brand. Maybe they'll figure out that they need to stop cutting corners.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real performerrrf, June 25, 2010
While I only purchased this blender a month ago,the the metal to metal design has been around a long time and is proven. I actually replaced an old Avocato Oster (circa 70's) blender that worked fine with a top of the line Kitchenaid three speed that I was finally glad to throw out. I have no axe to grind with Kitchenaid and own other of their products that work fine.
I don't care what brand you buy but make sure that both the cup and the gear drive are both made of metal - metal to metal. If either is plastic, you'll be tossing it in five years or less. (Kitchenaid)

Performance: tried crushing ice with this on high speed and it worked fabulously. Tried again on the low speed with the same results. Nice smooth ice and no chips.

Also just used it to make a fine powder from soda crackers for a meatball recipe. Perfect. Nice soft powder, no chunks of crackers.

My only other comment was price. If you do not need the Brushed Nickel, save the money ($20 dollars at least) and buy a colored one.They are identical in operation and function.

I've purchased a lot of products from Amazon but not sure this one was the best price. If I had shopped around I could have found this cheaper elsewhere. To me the so called free shipping of $9 was added to the price is all.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8 months in still working as good as day 1!, May 31, 2009
Update in 2014: I still have this blender and it still works very well. I went about 2 years though without using it much - but it's still going and has been in use for about 4 total continuously a couple times a week. Love it!

This is my first review of any sort of kitchen product. I bought the Oster 12 speed blender (in red--my favorite!) mostly to make smoothies. I make them about 4-5 times per week. I usually use frozen fruit, yogurt, and some form of juice or liquid. I use crushed ice probably less than 25% of the time--so if you are planning on using this blender to crush a lot of ice you may need to look for additional reviews of how it performs that function. For me and the limited amount of ice I use it has worked perfectly.

The glass jar is excellent and I've had no problems with cracking or breaking. All of the pieces fit well together and I really like how the "seat" of the jar in the blender does not include a lot of strangely shaped electronic pieces that are hard to clean. This one works by having the blender sit on a piece of metal. My last blender had weird plastic and rubbery items that covered the "seat" and it was very tough to clean.

I am exceptionally happy with this blender. It has given me 5 star service for the last 8 months (which I feel is long enough to have used it to give a fair review). Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Customer, March 6, 2011
I was very happy to receive this product in the mail, It has been a great blender so far.

However I when I first started blending and I went all frilly nilly making smoothies I still had ice chunks. Until recently I had a friend show me a few techniques blending. First when blending add all of your soft or liquidy items first and then slowly add hard/ice product individually. Other than ice chunks in the begining, i have loved this blender.
Ps. The base is plastic and not metal like the picture appears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oster blender, January 16, 2011
I purchased this to replace a blender that was getting on in years. I specifically ordered it because of the glass jar. I feel healthier using glass products that are utilized over years of use. The blender works great. The first time I used it, I overloaded it with frozen fruit for a smoothie. It held its own and made a great smoothie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy Base, October 18, 2009
I was quite pleased that the pitcher is made of thick, sturdy glass. But the base is an entirely different matter. In fact, it feels like this base belong with an entirely different Oster pitcher. While this pitcher feels heavy and solid, in contrast the base feels light, flimsy and plasticky. When the blender is on, the base vibrates and rattles in a loud, harsh way that is beyond what I'd expect for normal operation -- especially considering that the hardest thing I've put in the blender is pieces of frozen bananas for smoothies. It's as if the blender vibrates so wildly because it's so top-heavy -- the base just doesn't have the weight or sturdiness to properly absorb the vibrations from the heavy pitcher.

This blender has made a couple of dozen frozen banana smoothies for me without a problem, but it is disappointing that the base -- which looked to me like it would be heavy and sturdy -- is actually mostly plastic and vibrates wildly. I make a smoothie at least once a day, so I wouldn't be surprised if the base cracks or fails before very long. I guess I've learned my lesson; next time I will pay more for all-around solid construction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 16, 2011
Patricia P (Cleveland, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I had an older Oster blender with a plastic jar that lasted through heavy usage the past 4 years. But I wanted one with a glass jar for better cleaning and this model is great. It quickly and effectively handles ice cubes and frozen fruit for smoothies. Glad I made the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars good blender-blended everything we've asked it to, August 13, 2011
i purchased this about 2 years ago and haven't ever had any issues with it. we make smoothies with ours several times a month and its always adequately crushed the ice and everything else. you cant fill it to the very top of the blender with ice and expect it to crush all of it but if you fill it up about 1/3rd of the way with ice and do a few smaller amounts rather than one gigantic attempt it works great. cleaning is no biggie. no complaints after 2 years of usage means i'm satisfied with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this blender!, September 6, 2010
We bought this Oster to replace our burned out Cuisinart blender (which was 3 times as expensive and burned out right after the warranty expired). There is no comparison...the Oster is amazing, and works so much better than the Cuisinart. We now realize that the Cuisinart never really blended ice well, and we were settling for a so-so blender. The Oster performs better than any blender we've had before.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs!, March 17, 2012
S. Hall "Island Man" (Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo, Mexico) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these, and the 3rd time I used it, it sheared off the drive while trying to crush ice. Oster wouldn't sell the replacement part! I told them that it angered me that I'd have to pay for repair that I could easily do myself, that I'd never buy Oster product again & hung up. About 10 days later a new blender arrived at my home! I was beginning to see Oster in a new light. But, when I used it the first time, it started smoking while blending some fruit & stopped! I'm a trained technician, so I proceeded to open it up, and I found a hidden fuse inside that was blown. However, replacing it didn't fix the issue, so I assembled one good unit from the 2 bad units, using the good motor and good drive shaft. On the second use of the newly repaired blender, it fried the windings in the motor. It also blew the fuse again, but not before the windings went up in smoke! That's both motors, smoked! These things are incredibly cheaply built & should have a heavier gage of wire in the windings. They should be avoided at all costs!

ARRAY(0x9ba4b60c)