on June 3, 2009
BOTTOM LINE SUMMARY: This blender performs at least as well as blenders that cost 2-3 times as much, and it has more specific speed options than the more expensive blenders.

Before I begin my review, I should start out by saying that I am a bit of a blender snob, and I collect them for fun. My sole purpose in getting this blender was to see how it compared to a KitchenAid (KSB5ER4) and a Cuisinart (BFP-10CH). Also, this is an initial, first-time usage review - I will keep the review updated over time so I can attest for its longevity, consistency, etc.

That being said, I am very impressed with this blender. It is consistent with the quality that I expect from Oster. It blended the same Strawberry Banana Smoothie that I always make MUCH better than the 7-year old KitchenAid blender that I often use - no chunks whatsoever. I tested the ice crush feature, and it made mince meat out of ice in 2-3 seconds. In fact, I would dare say that it crushes ice perfectly, and faster than any of my other blenders. I also appreciate the Easy Clean feature - a definite bonus. I like the metal drive shaft MUCH better than the plastic teeth on the KitchenAid and Cuisinart - there is no guesswork as far as where/when to place the jar on top of the base; no teeth that could potentially break/wear (note: the teeth have never broken on my KitchenAid or Cuisinart, so I am just speaking about potentialities). The jar is designed for MUCH easier pouring than any other blender I have used. If you are at all concerned with the presentation/appearance of your blending results, this blender certainly delivers.

Why a 4-star instead of a 5? The plastic collar is much more fragile than other blenders I have used (also, more fragile than other Oster's that I have seen) - in fact, I haven't yet figured out how to get the collar off without breaking it. (Revision: I took a closer look at the bottom of the collar, and it has instructions for removing the collar - so, no problem there). :-)

The rest of my cons are very nit-picky and may not bother most people. There is no perfect manual, but I found the manual to be overly brief - in fact, I will probably find myself referring to my vintage '70s Osterizer pamphlets for hints - the manual and blender are largely for people who are already very familiar with blenders.

If anyone is familiar with the smell of a new blender motor, this blender (along with Cuisinart and Waring blenders) has that new motor smell if you let it run for more than 15 seconds. Personally, this does not bother me, but I have noticed that it makes some people nervous. My initial ice-crush experiment actually produced ice that was infused with the smell, but a few good cleanings should solve that problem.

The lid is not the best I have ever seen - It does have a removable cap in the center, but it is black and does not have measured lines like the Cuisinart.

Louder than the KitchenAid, but quieter than the Cuisinart.

Despite these minor things, I would highly, highly recommend this blender!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 16, 2010
I bought this blender to mainly make Smoothies from frozen fruits. In that it does an excellent job, the smoothies come out nice and consistent without lumps (like my old blender used to do).

Aesthetics: The blender looks much better than what I expected. It looks well built and the glass Jar looks STURDY! It stays on the counter top because it looks very good.

Cleaning: Very easy to clean, bottom assembly comes apart easily and its easy to reassemble.

Now the issue: After two days of use I noticed something that I didn't expect in a blender. Rust! I was quite surprised to find rust in the blade. Not in the edges, but what looks like a rivet that holds the blades together. I also notices some (not much) burning smell during the first two uses. I am not much worried about the smell, this I expect to go away. But the rust isn't something to ignore.

I was going to return it to Amazon, but decided to call Oster first. Their rep indicated that rusting could indicate a defect and they will replace the blade (sending one via mail in 7 to 10 days). I am keeping the blender and will update once i get the new blade and give it a spin.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2011
Based on the other reviews for this product, I felt this would be an economical and well performing blender. It has only led to disappointment and frustration for me.
I bought this blender at the store. The next day, I used it to blend batches of pumpkin soup. I have plenty of experience with Oster blenders, having owned the beehive model for several years. Yet I could not get the jar to sit securely on the motor base. It always seemed to have some wobble to it. I blended my soup, but somehow it didn't sound quite right to me, and there was a slight burning smell when it ran. Upon inspection I found that the drive shaft could be moved back and forth with my fingers. Looking through the vent at the bottom, I could see the whole motor was moving back and forth as I did this. About a 1/4 inch!
I had already registered the warranty online, so I sent an e-mail to the company asking about this issue. It took two days to hear back from them, so in the meantime I returned the blender to the store. While there I decided to check the other blenders to see if I should just exchange it. I opened every single Oster blender box out on the shelves, including the beehive thinking maybe I should just pay the additional $20 and get another of those. They ALL had loose drive-shafts! Some were better than the 1/4 inch of play, but none were secure and tight like a power-motor shaft should be.
I heard from Jarden (the parent company) a couple days later saying nothing about the issue, only that they were sending me a new unit and I would be messaged when it was sent. It took them a week to post the replacement to me.
When I finally got it, you can guess the first thing I did. This one had even more play! The motor literally rattled around in the base. I thought "that's it! I need to know what the problem with these things is!" and checked it out.
Being a power equipment mechanic myself, I was quickly able to ascertain the most likely reason. It seems as though there is a piece missing. I don't know whether it was overlooked in engineering the product or during the assembly process. The only thing securing the motor in the base is a pair of buffers on either side, held in place by the two halves of the base housing, which aren't held very secure at that. There logically should be some type of buffer securing the top where the drive shaft exits the top of the housing. That is where the play is allowing the shaft to move back and forth, and therefore the whole motor moves back and forth.
I wrote Jarden back, and tactfully explained all that. Two days later I got another vague reply explaining that.."In general our products are very well made and our problems are few and far between." and stating.."We apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your business and are happy to help if you have any further questions." Help me what? Frustrating is an understatement. I'm very disappointed in Oster.
It used to be that Oster was possibly the best name in blenders. Do yourself a favor, and buy another brand. Maybe they'll figure out that they need to stop cutting corners.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2010
While I only purchased this blender a month ago,the the metal to metal design has been around a long time and is proven. I actually replaced an old Avocato Oster (circa 70's) blender that worked fine with a top of the line Kitchenaid three speed that I was finally glad to throw out. I have no axe to grind with Kitchenaid and own other of their products that work fine.
I don't care what brand you buy but make sure that both the cup and the gear drive are both made of metal - metal to metal. If either is plastic, you'll be tossing it in five years or less. (Kitchenaid)

Performance: tried crushing ice with this on high speed and it worked fabulously. Tried again on the low speed with the same results. Nice smooth ice and no chips.

Also just used it to make a fine powder from soda crackers for a meatball recipe. Perfect. Nice soft powder, no chunks of crackers.

My only other comment was price. If you do not need the Brushed Nickel, save the money ($20 dollars at least) and buy a colored one.They are identical in operation and function.

I've purchased a lot of products from Amazon but not sure this one was the best price. If I had shopped around I could have found this cheaper elsewhere. To me the so called free shipping of $9 was added to the price is all.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2008
I love, love, love this blender! I bought a Kitchenaid blender about 10 years ago and hated it everyday that I owned it, it finally broke so I got to buy a new one. My mom owns this Oster blender and I tested hers out before I bought it. I can not tell you how much better this blender is compared to the Kitchenaid! I can make a blended Margarita in less than 30 seconds and the ice is so smooth! After 2 minutes on the Kitchenaid the ice would be uneven and still have very big chuncks in it. This is an awesome blender and it's a third of the price of the Kitchenaid.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Update in 2014: I still have this blender and it still works very well. I went about 2 years though without using it much - but it's still going and has been in use for about 4 total continuously a couple times a week. Love it!

This is my first review of any sort of kitchen product. I bought the Oster 12 speed blender (in red--my favorite!) mostly to make smoothies. I make them about 4-5 times per week. I usually use frozen fruit, yogurt, and some form of juice or liquid. I use crushed ice probably less than 25% of the time--so if you are planning on using this blender to crush a lot of ice you may need to look for additional reviews of how it performs that function. For me and the limited amount of ice I use it has worked perfectly.

The glass jar is excellent and I've had no problems with cracking or breaking. All of the pieces fit well together and I really like how the "seat" of the jar in the blender does not include a lot of strangely shaped electronic pieces that are hard to clean. This one works by having the blender sit on a piece of metal. My last blender had weird plastic and rubbery items that covered the "seat" and it was very tough to clean.

I am exceptionally happy with this blender. It has given me 5 star service for the last 8 months (which I feel is long enough to have used it to give a fair review). Enjoy!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had an old Gold color Oster blender from the late 60's or 70's. It still worked great, but it was ugly. It was used everyday.

I bought this one about 5 years ago for my new house, but might have used it 3 times. Was not making protien drinks anymore.
Then when I was at Costco 3 months ago , I bought the Vitamix machine. Started making Green drinks ,and Fruit drinks..
For the heck of it, I took out this Oster to see the differents, since the Vitamix was $450.00.
This Oster made the same tasty drinks as the Vitamix. No lumps etc.
I love this machine.

I Put in a cup of water, big Tbs plain organic greek yogart,1 tesp whole flax seed, some wheat grass, little bit parsley, orange- peeled cut in 4s , small apple with seeds cut do not peel, 3/4 cup frozen blue berries, 5 big frozen strawberries, 1 banana, sometimes alittle more water.
This makes a litte more then two big glass .
There is no problem with the Oster bogging down. As with the vitamix I had to mix it with there mixer tube, and with this, I use a short spoon to make sure its all mixed together also.
If your using frozen fruit etc, you do not need to add ice.

To clean, put a couple drops of liquid soap inside with water, and blend on high for less then a minute. Make sure your lid is on before turning on..I use a long handle bush for a sec.rinse out. Wipe the machine up. It will look like new.

I have heard people say that the Vitamix chops up the food different, where the enzines are healthier!!
There are diffent jars with the vitamix to grind flour, make bread, but that is also allot more
money. I was not interested in making that.
I just wanted to make smoothies.
I also like that the Oster has a Glass Jar, and not the plastic, although its heavier then the vitamix, but I think a healther jar.

This is so easy to work, it's a no brainer. The Jar is Not a hassle to get it off or on.Its not heavy.
The top fits on easy, it pours with out dripping. The cap in the middle comes off easy, and I can add more liqued or foods though the middle..

If I use the Oster as often as I have been, I don't think it will last as long as the vitamix would have, but for the price, that is fine with me.Also replacement parts are very inexpensive.

I do not think I paid as much for the Oster as it is selling here. I think I bought mine at Lowes for about $30.00 , but that was 5 yrs ago. Exact same machine.

I cannot find anything I do not like about this Oster..
Needless to say, I took the vitamix back to Costco..

If anyone wants recipes, just go to the vitamix website. [...]
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 23, 2009
Oster 6812-001 Core 16-Speed Blender with Glass Jar, Black

My husband is a runner and makes a protein shake every morning. So when I dropped blender last night while cleaning it I knew I had to have a replacement quick!:-) I read reviews last night and decided to hit the stores to "feel" some of the competitors. Fully intending to buy a Kitchen Aid blender, I finally decided on this one because of price and its features. We wanted a glass jar and something that wasn't too ugly since it sits out on the counter. The metal gear is so easy to use. NO wiggling the jar to get it to "sit right".

After bringing this home and testing it with the ice I am in love. I didn't expect much and was fully ready to return to the store if I wasn't happy. Just as the other reviews say this thing really crushes the ice QUICKLY and so evenly. It looked like a snow cone in there. I then quickly made myself a frappuccino and sat down to write this review. LOL

I highly recommend this blender. Great quality for the money.
on March 6, 2011
I was very happy to receive this product in the mail, It has been a great blender so far.

However I when I first started blending and I went all frilly nilly making smoothies I still had ice chunks. Until recently I had a friend show me a few techniques blending. First when blending add all of your soft or liquidy items first and then slowly add hard/ice product individually. Other than ice chunks in the begining, i have loved this blender.
Ps. The base is plastic and not metal like the picture appears.
on December 21, 2009
I have been making smoothies for over ten years and this is the best blender at this price point. After my $50 smoothie maker died after two years of moderate use I wanted a new one. My roommste had this one and so I tried it out a bit first and instantly loved it.

The unit comes with an extremely sturdy glass pitcher. Despite what a previous reviewer said it easily unscrews from the blade. The unit is very very easy to clean (much easier than the other blenders I have used) Also it is extremely powerful and has no problems with frozen fruits, ice, etc. Also, the contact for the motor to the blade is metal so it will not wear down with use like my last crappy blender.

I have had this for 2 years now and no problems. Extremely satisfied. Very good blender for the price and I expect it to last 10 years.