Okay, so here's the deal - all of us that have the "Customer review from the Amazon Vine(tm) Program" received this product for free in exchange for providing a review (we are allowed to say whatever we want however - reviews may be anywhere from one to five stars).

Published on October 2, 2012 by Amber M. Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price.
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison of two blenders - this one and one that costs about 1/5 as much, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Oster Versa 1400-watt Professional Performance Blender, Including 64 oz Tall Jar, Recipe Book and 7 Year Warranty, BLSTVB-000-000 (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

I mention this because I literally just bought a new blender before this one plopped into my life. In fact, I bought this one: Oster BVCB07-Z Counterforms 6-Cup Glass Jar 7-Speed Blender, Brushed Stainless/Black

So, if you're asking yourself whether this blender at 300 dollars is five times better than one that costs 60...hopefully I can help out.

First, opening the box: My boyfriend has a new friend he named "Majestic." He saw it when I first unwrapped it, promptly christened it, announced we could not possibly get rid of it no matter what, and stared at it with an expression of awe. Now he smiles every time he sees it...it's weird. Another reviewer said it's a man's blender...I can't refute that. To me it just looks like a nice, sturdy blender that looks like it belongs in a smoothie shop.

Size: For starters, where are you going to put the blender? If you are like me, you have a place in mind for your blender, but you'd better make sure this will fit. Read the description. It's about 2 feet high. Which is several inches taller than the space between my counter and cabinet. So check that out first. That said, this one has more capacity - 1/3 more in fact.

Accessories: both have lids, separable jars, and bases. There is a little pamphlet blender "cookbook" with the smaller blender and a hardcover one with this one. This one also includes a giagantic stir stick. Other than that, not a lot of difference.

I decided that to really decide if there was a noticeable difference, I'd need to do a side by side comparison, so I made tested them dry, then made soup, then made smoothies, and then chopped up some nuts (because you know...soup to nuts!)

Ease of use on the control panel: Okay, let's compare the two. The BVCB07-Z (the cheaper one) has 7 speeds and 9 bunch of buttons. This has a dial and 4 buttons. The dial controls the speed and the four buttons are: pulse, smoothie, soup, and dips/spreads. The other one has some preprograms also (like "frozen drink" but mostly uses it's buttons for speed control. While the other isn't difficult either, the dial is super easy - turn and it goes, and as far as the preprogrammed buttons on this one...I'm in love!

Ease of assembly: this one, hands down. just sets on in any of the 4 possible orientation (line up the corners) and works. The other you have to set it down in the sweet spot and twist until it clicks into place...not as easy, though possibly a little more secure. (Both are held in place very well when actually blending.)

Need: Well, if you're even considering it, you might be able to afford it. If you blend a whole lot, like a health nut who lives on smoothies, or you own a food truck or something like that, I could DEFINITELY see you considering something like this. I'm sure there are other professional blender options that are just as good or better, but this seems like it would fit right in. If you only use your blender occassionally, then you have to do the value proposition yourself...the other blender would probably do very well for you and save you quite a bit of money.

Power: Well this one wins hands down. You can read the stats yourself. The other is 600 watts, this one is 1400 watts. This has a big thick power cord like it means it and it roars like a bandsaw too. It's not quiet. At all. It's no wonder it chews food. It has so much power in fact that every time my food came out quite a bit hotter/warmer than it went in. Also, the other, cheaper blender started to smell "hot" after a few minutes of blending, this one did just fine with 5 minutes on high speed.

Stability: The other jar is a bit tippy - I feel like full of liquid on the counter it's easy to tip over. This one is solid with a square base.

Quality: Both blenders actually look pretty quality. This one has more of a "pro" look to the base - better mat and lines whereas the other looks a little more "consumer" but both look very nice and like they'll last. Both have very solid seeming blades and attachments, though this one is in general just a little more solid. The other is glass jar and this is plastic, but it's a very sturdy seeming plastic...I highly doubt there's any issues with chipping or cracking. I'd hope for the price that it will also age well. If I were a betting person though the main difference is this one looks like it can simply take on more things without balking and may do so for a longer lifetime. Based on the blending experience, I imagine this to be true.

Soup test: I made butternut squash soup. Chunks of butternut squash roasted and then boiled in chickstock with onions and spices, pretty big chunks, pour into the blender hot. In this blender I just nervously hit the "soup" button and it roared to life. Although it came with a giant tamper, I did not need it at all. It just sucked the food right on down so I left it alone and didn't do a thing. The top by the way is lovely - it released steam! After watching it, I can tell the design is intentional - it's got vents to release steam without letting food spurt out when it bubbles and pulses. A little over five minutes later it shut itself off abruptly and the soup had actually gotten hotter to the point it was boiling inside the container! But it poured out smooth and lovely. This could definitely make me love this blender! I've never made anything so smooth in my kitchen that didn't start that way from the can.

Meanwhile I put the other half of the mix in the cheaper blender. Let it run on high for a few minutes but it started to smell hot. Bottom part was blending well, but chunks were on top so I had to stop and stir it and pulse it a bit. I ended up having to do a lot more button pushing to start it, stop it, pulse it, stir it, and start it again in cycles. Never did get it as smooth. Though to be honest, it tasted exactly the same :)

Smoothie test: to be honest, very much the same experience. Ice and fruit. The other was a lot of pushing down and restarting, this made a much smoother product with almost no hands on.

Nuts: Only bothered in this blender - wanted to see if I could control it enough to get a rough chop. If you pulse it once or twice, perfect salad topper!

Clean up: Both blenders were honestly very easy. This one's top comes apart easier so maybe a slight win there, but yeah, can't complain. As for blade cleaning put a little dishsoap and fill half full with water then run it and rinse it - worked great on both of them.

So far I've only played with the two blenders over the weekend. I imagine my boyfriend will use it quite a bit too as he makes "green goo" (he won't cook himself a vegetable...in typical manstyle when he thinks he needs vegetables he just throws a bunch in a blender and drinks the horrid slop that results) He is already making plans.

Ultimately, would I buy this one or the other one if I were making the decision all over? Well...the other one. I don't use a blender enough to really justify the price. However, if I did, this one is REALLY, REALLY nice. And it makes life so much easier...except for the size. Having paid for the other one, I will be keeping it too...but it's probably going to end up as a back up and I'll try not to become a blender hoarder (okay so my hoard is two blenders, but still, it's probably bigger than most people's).

The boyfriend has a plan to redo all of the kitchen appliance arrangements this coming weekend to make space for this...I'm nervous, but he's done okay with other redesigns, so we'll see how it goes.

If I have any problems, I'll be sure to update. Otherwise assume that "Majestic" is still in our kitchen, making me soup and winning loving smiles from my boyfriend.

Update: Two complaints and a compliment. (1) I don't think I previously mentioned sufficiently just how noisy it is. Seriously, you will want to leave the room while it's making soup...which could be a problem because (2) I have since had the "leek soup incident". There is a max fill line on the blender and even though every other thing I've had at the line (or below) had no issues, for some reason the leek soup I made in this turned into a mini-kitchen volcano. When I came back into the room (I'd left to hold a conversation away from the roar), it was all over the counter, the floor, and the blender. The lid was on, but it had apparently frothed up and leaked out anyway. Turns out the little buttons and feet are not all that easy to clean crusty soup out of...I'm still picking at it with toothpicks.

And the compliment: All in all I love the blender! I'm using it about 3-4 times a week, mostly for smoothies and alcoholic fruit drinks (I joined a group co-op thing where you get a basket of fruits and veggies every week, and I have no idea what else to do with all the fruit) and of course, more soups... It's seriously easy and consistent in quality. Very easy to clean as well, provided there are no soup lava flows.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Vitamix Alternative, August 29, 2013
I was very close to buying a Vitamix for $500 from Costco but decided to do more research first and am very glad I found the Versa! I am mainly interested in making green smoothies but also want to make soups and ice cream.
So I got a Versa a few days ago from a local department store whose name starts with "K" (sorry Amazon - had to have it NOW).
I had to be sure this thing is as good as a Vitamix, SO: My neighbors happen to have a nice new Vitamix so I invited them over for a "blend-off". We spent a whole afternoon with the Versa and Vitamix head to head using identical ingredients. We started with green smoothies - kale, spinach, carrots, cucumber, broccoli, and mango juice. Next, my neighbor made some strawberry ice cream. To finish I made some sweet red pepper cream of chicken soup - I wanted to see how you could heat soup in a blender (this is amazing to me - the soup heats from friction of blades spinning at 28,000 rpm)!!
With all three recipes we got identical results with both machines except that the Versa heated the soup a little faster than the Vitamix which took about a minute longer to get up to 140 degrees according to my little meat thermometer.
So I'm very happy with my purchase because I got the Versa for less than half the cost of the Vitamix!!!!!
The only thing in question now is durability and dependability. The build quality seems very comprable plus the Versa also has the 7 year warranty. Time will tell...
Pros: As good as blender more than twice the price! Has three pre-programmed cycles for smoothie, soup, and sauce/dip.
Cons: Since we're comparing to Vitamix - Does not have the super low speed like the Vitamix. This would be nice for coarse dicing like pico de gallo but not a deal killer. The size doesn't bother me because after all we're in super blender class here right? Noise level is no more than my old cheap blender.

UPDATE 9-15-13: I have been using this blender heavily almost every day since I bought it. I drink at least two 32 oz. vegetable smoothies a day plus my wife drinks probably another 32 oz. or so. I now put a whole avocado WITH SEED/PIT per 64 oz. (the size of the blender pitcher) of smoothie and it completely liquifies with NO tastable particles - total creamy goodness. The avocado makes the smoothie nice and smoooooth. I usually make two or three pitchers per session, then put it in the 32 oz. bottles that the Bolthouse carrot juice comes in from Costco and freeze them. I travel a lot so I take them with me in a cooler and drink them as they thaw. I have lost around 14 lbs. since I started juicing/smoothie-ing with no self-discipline required because the smoothies are delicious and satisfy your hunger. Each 32 oz. smoothie has 24 oz. of vegetables in it - 8 oz. juice or almond milk and the rest veggies. I figure that's equivalent to at least THREE large restaurant salads but without the high calorie dressing and meat. My calculation is based on the size of a 9 oz. bag of spinach - it's pretty big - seems to me about the same volume as a large restaurant salad. FURTHERMORE - the restaurant salad is usually lettuce which is nowhere near as nutritious as the kale and spinach that I use in my smoothies. So if I drink two 32 oz. smoothies a day, it's like eating SIX SALADS!!!

UPDATE 7-3-14: Still smoothying and no deterioration in performance of the blender. I still drink 1 to 2 quarts of smoothie per day faithfully and love it. So 7 to 14 quarts per week which I would consider pretty heavy use. I've come up with a way to make in bulk weekly. I was previously measuring ingredients for every blender pitcher so multiple measurings per batch. Finally I got smart and now pre-measure for whole batch, add to blender whatever fits per pitcher and mix in big bucket then put in Bolthouse bottles for freezing. This is much quicker and the results are more consistent. A typical batch is 2.5 lbs fresh spinach, 1.5 lbs kale, 1.5 lbs. power mix greens from Costco, 1.5 lbs cucumber, 2 lbs broccoli, 48 oz carrot juice, plus ingredients for flavor can be either 48 oz fruit juice or (yes, I really do this: 48 oz almond milk, 4 tablespoons vanilla, 3/4 cup instant coffee, 32 packs of Stevia). So either the fruit flavor or coffee flavor has the same vegetables. This batch recipe makes about 8 quarts (2 gallons) of smoothie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price., January 24, 2013
I was trying to get something that would make my protein shake/fruit smoothies as smooth as my old Vitamix without paying $500, I took a chance on this Oster since the reviews were all good. I hate to give it a not so good review but there are better options for less money. I was ultra-pleased with the Vitamix I used to have, the Oster feels as powerful and feels like it will last a long time but the main problem that I have with it is it leaves some fruit chunks in my smoothie when I use frozen fruit. My smoothie consists of 8 oz of water, 2 scoops of powder, 1 frozen banana and 4 frozen strawberries. There are still chunks of fruit that don't get blended all the way after about a minute. I previously also owned the top rated Kitchen Aid blender which only cost me $100, it blended the same smoothie without lumps but the gasket began leaking on me as other users reported. I also tried a friend's Nutribullet and it didn't do as good of a job as either the Vitamix or Kitchen Aid. I ordered the Oster and tried it all week and actually sent it back because I was expecting at least as smooth of a drink as my $100 Kitchen Aid. So I kept researching and finally ordered and tried the Breville Hemisphere Control Blender for $200. I'm keeping that one and am satisfied with the smoothness, there were no chunks of frozen fruit left and it blended everything automatically and shut itself off after the preprogrammed time. I even filled the Breville with ice cubes with no liquid and it turned it into snow within 35 seconds with no ice chunks. The Breville is definitely a better value than the Oster with it being $100 cheaper, able to blend without leaving chunks, much quieter, smaller, automated smoothie program, and a lid that is easy to get off using the finger ring. I have also owned a Blendtec blender and have used my brother's Ninja blender as well, the Breville makes smoother drinks than both of those. The Breville is the best value with everything considered.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd buy this one over my Vitamix, January 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'll start by saying I've tested many blenders whose companies have made a lot of claims about being one of the superblenders. Often they just aren't close to my Vitamix in comparison. Well, this blender is the first one that I can say absolutely is comparable to the Vitamix and probably more favorable because it has a better price tag and more features. I absolutely love this machine. When I've made smoothies with other blenders, they just never could grab that perfect consistency that the Vitamix makes. This one does it just as well, and maybe even a little more quickly. It has the pulse feature and automatic options for smoothies, soups and dips. It has a large profile so be prepared to make some counter space for it. The pitcher is very large. I actually prefer the way it feels to the Vitamix too. I haven't owned it long enough to tell you about it's long term reliability, but I love everything else I've seen so far. And if I were in the market for one of these, I'd save the money and buy this one over the Vitamix. I like it better so far (I've owned my Vitamix for about 3 years).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Poor Man's Vitamix, February 19, 2013
For a little over a year now, we have used this blender on an almost daily basis. We initially considered purchasing a Vitamix, but after doing some research I came upon the Versa and its plethora of positive reviews.

The Versa offers many high-end blender features that are on par with the Vitamix, but for $100+ less. It also comes with a 7-year warranty.

The Versa is incredibly simple to use. It has a pulse button and three auto settings: smoothie, soup, and dips/spreads. We have made soups, sauces and smoothies with our Versa. I have not yet made any nut butters, but I hear it is excellent for that as well. You don't have to stand there pulsing or holding the button either, if you load the blender correctly the programmed setting buttons will blend to the perfect consistency then stop automatically. Soups and sauces come out as smooth as velvet. The soup function will heat up the contents as well.

The jar and blade are all one piece, with no leaky gaskets to mess around with. To clean it you just add water and a drop of liquid dish soap to the jar, put it back on the base and let it run until it's clean. The interior of the jar is ultra-smooth and sprays out easily. I have never had any trouble getting mine clean.

It is important to note that this blender is LOUD and very tall when put together. Things to keep in mind if you have sleeping kids in the house our counter space issues. The only other "issue" so to speak is that the jar has to be set on the base in such a way that the pressure button is fully depressed, otherwise the blade won't engage. Basically if the power button doesn't light up you might have to turn the jar slightly one way or the other in order to get things lined up correctly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely my favorite blender for the price, April 27, 2013
My old roommate had a VitaMix blender that he swore by, and after a few weeks, so did I.

We used it for making homemade almond milk, almond butter, pesto, green smoothies, and anything else you'd use a blender for!

After I moved, I bought a Cuisinart blender that also heated up soup. It was great but not quite as good as the VitaMix. Eventually, after less than a year and no warranty registration (I'm bad a forgetting to do those) it died on me.

Enter Oster Versa!

This thing is hands down on par with my old roommates VitaMix. And to make sure, I made all of the same things we made on his, with the Oster Versa and it handled all challenges with ease! It is an excellent blender, and at the price point, very hard to beat.
It has the same warranty, same power, and almost the same shape. In fact, my friends VitaMix carafe fit's on this. My only complaint, and it's hardly a complaint because I bought a VitaMix brand and am as happy as can be, is the tamper. It's weird three-sided shape makes smashing down stuff like almond butter a hassle. Fortunately, for only $12, you can buy a round one here on Amazon meant for the VitaMix, and it works great. I have a feeling this blender is going to last me a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars New performance blender enters the race, September 26, 2012
zhabazon (Washington DC area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you've seen demonstrations for the Vitamix or Blendtec, you've likely tried the soups and/or ice creams produced by the demonstrator with much ado. I've had a Vitamix on my Amazon Wish List for some time now, so I was thrilled beyond belief to receive this product. Oster and it's parent, Sunbeam, are part of the huge family of companies under the Jarden Consumer Solutions umbrella. After researching Jarden, I realize that numerous of the small appliances, some foods, clothes, shoes, sports equipment and more can be found in my home, all offspring of the parent company. Oster has introduced a new powerful performance blender to the consumer at what they claim is, "a Fraction of Competitive Cost!" Because I believe this is an overstatement, despite the reduced cost at Amazon now, I was tempted to deduct a star from my review for what I consider to be an outstanding performance blender that gives others a fine challenge. Because of its performance, the five stars remain.

At about 2 horsepower of power, this incredibly loud (and I mean LOUD) small appliance may as the description suggests, "replace many other kitchen appliances with this versatile do it all, easy to use machine," but I've found that I'm not ready to get rid of anything else, and will just make room for this huge one which indeed does a lot. It's taller than anything else in my household and is not kept on the countertop unless it's being used. Moving beyond the plastic smell that overwhelmed me when I opened the box, I washed the BPS-free jar, two part lid and tamper, and prepared my first perfect smoothie. I'd read the manual online before it arrived and was prepared to immediately put it to use without wasting any time. The six point blade automatically started and stopped as I used the programmed Smoothie setting and I simply stood in awe as I poured a smooth, lump free, nourishing treat to satisfy my senses. Although easy to wash, I was at first put off by the inability to remove the blade, then found that by running warm soapy water through a medium cycle for a few seconds it was cleaned it out effortlessly. Washing it after making fresh almond butter took a little longer, but it was well worth the time and energy to have that delicious fresh almond butter. I've made flour from grains, crushed ice, and prepared an assortment of goodies since receiving the blender. I made a raw soup in this blender by filling the jar with a multitude of vegetables, a couple peeled clementines, a little water and some spices, then letting the Soup program simply run while I used the tamper to push down the veggies for the first minute or so. It heated up as the blade spun without showing any sign of distress and the outcome was delicious. I was unsure about whether or not this would work because all the recipes in the nicely bound cookbook call for blending AND cooking. This is a wonderful asset for those who eat only raw foods. Personally, I still like my immersion blender for pureeing soups as I cook them on the stove and there's nothing else to clean. In addition to the Smoothie programmed setting is one for Dips/Spreads, and a third for Soup. If a program is selected, the machine will automatically start and stop; I've found these to be very accurate for hummus as well. The variable speed dial is easy to manually adjust the speed as needed and the tamper allows for easy pushing the food closer to the blade. It is not long enough to touch the blade, so there's no worry about unwanted dangerous contact. Because of the base interlock, the machine will turn off if the jar is moved or not correctly attached, another safety measure which I appreciate. Unlike most other small appliances, this also has a reset button on the bottom accessible in the event of overheating or overloading. It's easy to overheat the food also if you keep the motor running, so keep that in mind when blending. It's recommended to use this for a maximum of 10 minutes at a time and to keep the jar at least 25% full when using.

I have not made paper in the blender, nor have I attempted to grind rocks, but for my personal household purposes, I believe this performance blender is a winner. It's likely that it will be updated after awhile, but judging from the fact that I still have my first Cuisinart food processor that's over 30 years old, I expect that this will be a workhorse in my kitchen. For ideas and recipes, check out the product competitors' websites as well as the blender dude online.

This machine comes with a 7 year warranty and the ability to access information about the machine directly on your smartphone by using the Quick Response code on the rear of the base.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Glad I didn't Buy a Vitarip, October 6, 2013
My family uses a blender almost everyday and when our latest blender (Frigidaire) was recalled and we were informed that our replacement product might take a month, we decide to purchase a new model and sell the replacement. Our old blender cost $130 and was around 800 watts and noisy and a pain to clean. I had been threatening to buy one of those overly price blenders for years now but every time I go shopping I can't justify paying $500 or more for a blender. How much could a motor and the parts really cost and the assembly is minimal at most, so after I did the math I could quickly see that we were being taken to the cleaners. I saw demonstrations in places and watch as soup was being made, but who in their right mind would use a blender to make soup. When I question the demonstrators about using a blender for juicing they swore it was perfectly fine to inject tons of air into your juice and that it wouldn't have any effect on it, but I know differently. Air causes oxidation and effects the taste and the blender's high speed generates heat (that's proven by them when they cook soup) and this has an effect on the quality of the product.

Some people have gone to great lengths and cost to preserve the quality of their juicing by buying a Norwalk juicer which claims to be the best and not destroy the enzymes with high speed and heat, but who in their right mind would pay nearly $3,000 for a juicer. I decided to buy a Omega juicer for one tenth the cost which revolves at a slow speed and masticates the vegetables and when I tested the temperature as I juiced it came in around 80 degrees F and tasted great, something a blender can't do or claim in my opinion. So I wouldn't use one of these high speed blenders for my juicing.

After searching for an alternative to those $500 blenders I came across the Versa by Oster. As I read other peoples reviews I found it interesting that one person commented that their Vitamix tritan jar would fit the Versa and I wondered if that other company had anything to do with the manufacture of the Versa. When I received my blender I quickly navigated to the bottom of the blender and found that it was manufacture in china and got my answer. Like other people have stated the blenders both have a seven year warranty but Osters doesn't cover acts of God but most likely the other one doesn't as well and after reading the bad reviews concerning customer service from that other overly price blender I don't see any difference between the two warranties.

When it comes to appearance I think the Oster is the clear winner here and after reading someones comment that the manufactures are switching to smaller containers I wondered if this was a smart move since these high speed blenders need some breathing room. This blender is tall and doesn't fit under my kitchen cabinets which are at 18 inches so I keep it on the island counter and if I didn't have that I would have to keep the jar next to the blender which isn't a big deal.

Sound is always a big issue with blenders and I was pleased to find that the Oster was not as loud as the Frigidaire. There is a thick rubber insulating mat that the jar base rest on and this probably reduces sound vibration from the heavy duty stainless blade assembly from reaching you. Speaking of the assembly it is heavy and well made and I would expect sealed, permanently lubricated ball bearings to be in it. The motor is 1400 watts and should come in at 2HP so it doesn't strain when performing its task and this reduces noise. Having a variable speed dial also allows you to set the correct speed and this is a must for high speed blenders and doesn't require you to blast away when you only need a third or less of the power to get the job done. The base of the blender is quite nice and doesn't move all over the place, it stays where you put it.

Clean-up is much easier than our last blender since there are fewer parts it doesn't require that you disassemble the blade from the jar. I rarely use the blender to clean the container but the two drops of dish soap in some hot water works well when you need some help. We bought a bottle scrubber to help with difficult cleaning and this works best.

Taste Test-there is a difference to blending with this high power blender which can reach 28,000 RPMs and we notice that things are smoother. We put nuts in our smoothy and I barely notice any bits and pieces and having the power to rip through the other ingredients is a winner.

My other blender required us to unplug it and then plug it in again for every use but this one doesn't. All you have to do is put the jar on the base and move the speed dial to off and then to the speed or program section which we don't use except for the pulse once in awhile. I think the speed dial works best and since we don't use the blender for long periods of time to make air soup there presets barely get used.

Quality-this blender feels and looks solid so I would expect it to last long. I have use low cost Oster blenders for many years and they have held up well. I usually buy them because they still use glass in many of their models but since they have to use a heavy duty bearing assembly for this type of blender they use the 64-Ounce BPA-Free Tritan Plastic Jar like those more expensive models. I made a slight adjustment to the lid by moving the rubber gasket up higher so it touches the top of the lid. I don't have to pus the lid completely close and it still keeps the ingredients in the jar.

Verdict-I really believe that this is a good alternative to those other makes that charge much more. Maybe they are better but are they really worth twice or more the price. My wife was so happy that I didn't lose my head and fork out $450 to $650 for a blender when this Oster, which cost around $235 dollars can do the same job they do.

I don't review products much but I think this blender is worth the time and deserves to be considered if you are the type that thinks higher cost means higher value and better results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Verdict: IMPRESSIVE UBER-BLENDER!, January 17, 2013
My OSTER VERSA is performing like the Vitamix I tried previously. I expected this to be much louder than it is. My Cuisinart Grind & Brew is **significantly** louder than this blender. This blender just sounds like, well...a blender. This puppy is HUGE (nearly 2' tall) so if you're thinking about showing it off on the counter, make sure it clears the overhead cabinets. (works w/ mine). Alas, parts can't go in the dishwasher, BUT, 2-drops of soap+water+30-sec of blending on "High" (which creates heat), rinse, dry, and done. Easy. If you're looking at uber-blenders (I'm looking at you there, drooling over that spendy VitaMix), I HIGHLY recommend this one. Frankly, I loved the VitaMix, too, but gosh - I think the Versa looks A LOT sexier and it appears to work equally well in my experience so far, for less cash.

Now that I own the Versa. Here's what I've noticed:
- EASY TO CLEAN (Yes, saying that again. It's true.)
- NICE RECIPE BOOK: *But* the VitaMix book is tabbed between sections to find recipes quickly, since the point of 2-hp blending is speed. Oh right. The point of blending is healthy living. (Tabs please.)
- EASY RECIPES: Follow them exactly and you'll be pleased. I loved the Berry Breakfast and the Ginger-Peach-Mango smoothies (I made the latter one into sorbet by freezing it. YUM!) There are soups, dips, dressings, and desserts and all kinds of goodness. Plus, you can find free uber-blender recipes posted online and they'll translate perfectly.
- QUALITY: The base of the blender is heavy (I believe the shipping weight was approx. 14-lbs). It has non-skid feet and they are effective at keeping 30,000 rpms from knocking that thing into the adjacent room.
- EASY TO USE: The dial settings are a teensy-weensy bit less intuitive than "on/off" but, simple.
- TAMPER INCLUDED: so, I screwed-up a recipe and that tamper saved my peachy-mango-ginger smoothie buns! Versa's tamper isn't a solid stick like VitaMix's. It's essentially the same, but has three channels pushing things down. It seems to make grabbing "stuck" stuff easier.
- OOH, LIGHT-UP BUTTONS: Useful, actually. And, very fancy-schmancy looking. Pulse/Smoothie/etc all light when in use (red for pulse, blue all others). You'll know you are operating in the mode you intended as a result.
- TIGHT LID, but it is easy to remove.
- NO CHUNKS IN MY SMOOTHIES!!!! And, isn't that what you wanted to know?! I have blended granola and flax into my frozen concoctions and they're fantastically refreshing, no chewing is required.
- 7-YEAR WARRANTY: That's simply comforting.
- ONLY ONE COLOR: Black. VitaMix offers three colors. (I love the way the Chrome Versa logo and accents shine off the black background, so that's not a deal-breaker for me.)

One last note. Another reviewer mentioned somewhere that the height of the blender makes its use challenging for us petite blending enthusiasts. (I'm 5' tall, and I rounded-up.) I fill the container BEFORE I attach it to the base. Problem solved. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Versa gives Vitamix a run for the money, November 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Oster Versa Performance Blender is a powerhouse that rivals Vitamix. Seriously.

You will notice upon unboxing that this is a substantial appliance. It weighs just under 13 pounds. The base itself is 8" W x 9" D x 8.5" tall. With blender jar installed and the filler cap on, it is 20.5" tall, and with the tamper in the jar, it's a full 23" tall. This is important because it won't fit under my cabinets, which are a little higher than most, with the jar in place. I have to keep mine pulled toward the front of the counter because of this, but it's certainly worth it to have this blender ready to roll at all times.

The base has a matte black finish and has a very industrial look. It looks wonderful in my commercial-style kitchen, but might look out of place in a country style décor.

This blender has a 1400 watt motor, which is the equivalent of the Vitamix 2 HP engine. The only blender I've seen with more power is a Blendtec (of the Will It Blend? fame), which is 1560 watts. You will notice immediately the difference in power from your standard blender. This extra power translates into extra noise, too, so if you are a person who is very sensitive to loud noises, you probably won't like the Versa.

On the front there is a dedicated pulse button and then 3 dedicated, pre-programmed buttons - smoothie, soup and dips/spreads. Finally, there is a large speed dial so that you can fine tune the speed of the blades to whatever you are blending.

The 64oz. jar is made of thick, clear BPA-free plastic and is clearly marked on the outside in liters and ounces. The base of the jar has a collar that fits down over four, rubberized "posts" on the base of the blender for stability. The blades are permanently integrated into the jar.

Also included are a tamper for moving pieces of food down to the blades, a users manual, a blending hints & tips sheet, and a hard cover, spiral bound (to lay flat when open) recipe book. I really like the recipe book as it is filled with recipes that make the most of this fine blender. The recipes also include color photos and nutritional information for each recipe.

The blender performs beautifully! The pre-programmed settings are exceptional - automatically cycling through various speeds and pulses. The smoothie setting gets used the most in my house and it's wonderful. It also crushes ice quickly and efficiently. It shreds hard cheese and raw potato chunks smoothly and quickly. (There is a wonderful potato pancake recipe in the recipe book that is a breeze to make with this amazing blender.) I've made several different soups, including a vichyssoise included in the recipe book, and the resulting soups were smooth and perfectly blended.

This blender makes such quick work of everything I throw at it that I've been sorely tempted to try and blend bad things like cell phones and watches just to see how it would handle it! (If this sounds insane to you, watch some "Will it blend?" videos on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.) I am certain this blender would handle my iPhone or an Xbox controller. LOL

My only concerns about this blender have to do with the height. I am a tall woman and it is a stretch for me to maneuver the tamper while it's blending. If I were shorter, I would definitely want to find a table to use this on which is shorter than counter height. The jar WILL rock if you try to use the tamper without applying force from straight down, which is a little difficult even for me when it is on the counter. This will be an issue for a very small woman unless you arrange for a shorter surface to use it on.

If you are in the market for a high-performance blender and are considering a Vitamix, take a look at this Versa. I believe it performs every bit as well as a Vitamix at less cost.