Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Oster 4724 10-Cup uncooked resulting in 20-Cup cooked Rice Cooker, Stainless Steel, White/Black
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 24, 2008
I decided to try a rice cooker because my family prefers rice over potatoes and I wanted to be able to leave the rice to warm while I did other things for a meal.

Good points-
*This cooker is easy to clean.
*This cooker is easy to use. Just fill according to directions and portion size needed, press the lever and let it go.
*It comes with a steamer basket to give this cooker double duty for veggies, dumplings etc.
*It is a very handsome design that matches a great many other products from different manufacturers.
*The liner is non-stick and removable for easy cleaning.
*In my use it has never boiled over BUT a great deal of HOT steam is vented from the top as it cooks so be careful.

Not so good points-
*It can tend to over cook and make a brown crust to the rice on the very bottom of the pan. This is not helped by the warming cycle that continues as long as the cooker is plugged in. The best thing is to be aware when the cycle ends and unplug the unit. It will keep rice warm for a meal on it's own.
*I found it needed a bit more water than the directions called for to cook any type of rice.
*This unit has no off/on switch to turn it OFF. You must unplug the unit to truly turn it OFF.

I would recommend this unit to anyone who wants to try a rice cooker. We have been happy and it saves a burner on the stove for other cooking needs. Just keep an eye for when the rice is done and unplug the unit. It will keep rice warm just on it's own without the warming cycle.
on January 5, 2010
For the first year we owned this rice cooker it was very nice. Many times we have been cooking rice in it and steaming vegetables in the tray at the same time, and it has always come out nicely. After about 18 months of use, it just flat out stopped working. It worked one day, and the very next day - nothing. No light on the front, no heat from the heating element, nothing. As it was well out of warranty, I took it apart and could find no parts that looked to have failed. All of the electrical connections were solid with no corrosion. No broken or shorted wires, no burned out components. It just gave up the ghost for not apparent reason. Not worth the money.
on August 9, 2006
We've gone through two of these now, though not purchased from amazon. No way would we buy another one. They work fine for awhile, then suddenly stop working. No heat, just nothing at all. We're not heavy users, either; we make 2-3 cups of rice once or twice a week. Now we're shopping for a new rice maker, but it definitely won't be an Oster.
on January 13, 2008
We have been trying to switch to a healthier carb lifestyle so I finally had to break down and buy a rice cooker for cooking my wild rice. This rice cooker does an excellent job of cooking our wild rice when you follow the package directions of 1 cup wild rice to 4 cups liquid (we use Bob's Red Mill rice). Wild rice takes forever to cook (about 1 hour for a cup of uncooked rice). This rice cooker is great because now I can put it all in and walk away instead of having to stick close to the stove/oven. I haven't used this cooker to make any other type of rice, but given it's performance with our rice I'd have to guess it would do an equally excellent job with other types of rice.

I bought this rice cooker last year and have only used it a few times, so I couldn't speak to it's longevity/durability.
on August 5, 2011
I had one of these for about 4 years, and it worked fairly well for that time. Then, last week, it abruptly died. It was on the "Keep Warm" setting when the lights suddenly went out, and the machine has not worked since. I have taken it apart to investigate, but I could not find anything wrong with it. My guess is that the wiring or circuits shorted out some place that is hard to see.
As I said, it worked well for those 4 years, but I expect a decent appliance to last much longer than that.
on May 27, 2010
The first rice cooker we received quit working within weeks of purchase. We were able to exchange it and while this one has worked for about a year it hasn't worked well. The button frequently won't stay depressed without wiggling it around or somehow propping it down. The lining of the pan has peeled and it is not very appetizing to think that the paint peeling ended up in our food. Now the cooker has completely stopped working and we haven't had it for much more than a year. Waste of money.Constant source of frustration - occasional source of rice
on April 2, 2012
I owned a different brand (much cheaper) that I used happily for many years.

I then bought this one (not from Amazon) a few months ago and have already decided to junk it.

Why? Its almost impossible to clean the way its designed with the removable internal lid. Besides it tends to overcook and burn the food.

There are many cheaper models out there that perform much better.

Do your self a favor and don't waste your money
on July 22, 2012
My Oster Rice Cooker is a champ, however, it hasn't been without Trials & Tribulations. First and most importantly, I take extremely good care of my rice cooker, which I use minimum once a month. I don't leave it out, I store it each time. If I used it more, I might leave it out. I clean the steaming basket, and the lid with warm water, never soapy; and empty out the condensation trap after each use. Usually I dry these surfaces lightly with a paper towel. I always scoop and serve using the plastic spatula, and never a fork, or metal implement. I always rinse by hand, never using the dishwasher, although dishwasher safe.

In the beginning, it seemed at times that no matter how good the aroma from the maker, the rice was coming out mushy, or super dry/crispy, and I could never get the measurements right despite what was printed the bag of rice, or manual. What I finally learned after 3-4 years, from a client who owns a pan-asian restaurant, is that these cookers are designed for Japanese rice, and there are many kids of Japanese rice that appear similar which can make this seem like an impossible task. That didn't stop me from using the maker up until then, it just left me with spotty results.

The type of rice I now use which comes out perfect every time is Botan Brand Calrose Rice (an Extra Fancy Rice), with filtered water from my refrigerator. That doesn't mean an expensive rice, that's just what they call it. There are Japanese rices of several brands - not to be confused with the closely resembling Sushi rice, or popular in stores Jasmine Rice (which is Thai rice). If you're going to try Basmati, Jasmine, Sushi or any other type of rice, you're going to spend the rest of your life in a never ending battle with Trial and Error that you'll never win. I enjoy many other types of rice, but I have to make them the old fashined way, in a pot with water, closely watched, and following instructions.

The minimum I will put in dry is 2 cups and appropriate measurement of water. Anything less and you will have dry undercooked rice. Anything above, you're golden. Sometimes the red light will switch to orange before the rice is fully cooked, so I recommend not opening the lid for at least 15 - 30 minutes, and when I do, I break up the rice a little and fluff it. It may still seem wet and spongy, but this will dissipate when you close the lid and let is steam for a few minutes more. After that you can leave the rice in there for quite a while. Up to 12 hours according to the manual, but I've never left it for more than 2 hours.

Anyway, I'm rambling. . . .Enjoy!
on December 27, 2011
It says 20-Cup but its only 10 cup. It will cook up to 20 but actually its only 10-cup like other 10 cup cooker. People do not bother reading all the details. I bought and had to exchange again and return again.
Why do they titled like that?
on November 16, 2015
The first one I purchased worked 3 times and on the third use it started smelling burnt. After taking the rice pot out it was black inside. It was only 3 weeks since it had been purchased so amazon exchanged it no problems. The second on that I received didn't get used right away so the warranty was already up by the first use. It turned on when plugged in but about five minutes into cooking the rice it just stopped working. No lights or anything. I will not be purchasing another Oster product.