4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Mixed Up Kid...
Published on February 28, 2013 by NyiNya

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on June 11, 2008 by sine.nomine

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 11, 2008
This review is from: Oster 2534 Inspire Handheld Mixer with Bonus Attachments, White (Kitchen)
The biggest issue for me is that the retractable cord is quite short - probably about a foot long - so I can't hold the mixer at a comfortable angle even when I'm working right in front of an outlet. What's more, the lowest setting is much faster than on any other mixer I've used. I've gotten into the habit of whisking by hand until a mixture is fairly thick before turning to the mixer. Even then it's still fast enough to make a bit of a mess, so I usually just finish by hand to save the trouble of having something else to wash up. Lastly, the eject button isn't actually a button, it's just an area of plastic with a logo on it that you're supposed to run your thumb down to release the beaters. It's creaky and feels flimsy, and it doesn't usually let got of the beaters until you try it a few times.

On the upside, the unit has a nice heft, the rubber grip is comfortable, and the switch feels solid. The negatives outweigh the positives for me, though, so I'm going to keep an eye out for something better.

EDIT: I disassembled the mixer only to find that my cord had been improperly wound onto the spool. The plug end had somehow been passed underneath another piece of the cord that had already been wound onto the spool, in exactly the way you'd tuck under the end of a rolled-up cable to help prevent it from coming unwound. No amount of pulling would have helped. Since the mixer arrived this way, it must have been an error in assembly.

After unknotting the cord and reassembling the mixer, I did have the full length of cord available. Others who find the cord too short may have the same issue.

But I stand by my statement that the lowest speed is much too fast, and the blade release is flimsy and inconsistent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Mixed Up Kid..., February 28, 2013
NyiNya "NyiNya" (It was broken when I got here...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There is so much to like about this mixer, and so much not to like, it's hard to know where to start. First of all, it has lots of attachments, which is good. The cord is retractable, which is also good. My old mixer has just three settings: low, medium and Smell of Motor Burning Out. The Oster 2534 Inspire is like one of those Spinal Tap amps that goes to 11. There are 9 settings. I think the highest one is for mixing concrete. Anyway, I got the mixer last night and couldn't wait to try it, so I used it to to mix up a batch of macarons, those almondy merenguey cookies with a filling that are nothing like macaroons, meringues or oreos. (Also I am slightly addicted to macarons and this seemed like a good excuse.)

You need a ton of egg whites whipped to a rather stiff consistency and my little hand held egg beater got the job done, but it took a while. This gizmo whizzed through the egg whites so quickly, I had not finished eating the jar of fig preserves I was thinking about using for a filling. So far so good.

Anyway, this morning I rose early and made a batch of bread...the bread hook attachment is a thing of beauty and a joy until I lose it. I usually do all the mixing and kneading by hand and my wrists ache for a day after making a couple of loaves. I am going to bake more often because of those little doohickeys.

Those are the good points. The bad ones? Some reviewers mentioned that there is no difference between low and high settings, and this is somewhat true. Low is more like High on most mixers. Talk about enhanced performance. I wanted to ask if it had been hanging out with Lance Armstrong.

If you are making something liquid, it does send up a bit of spray because the blades move at such a high speed. I knew this and used a deep bowl for the chocolate ganache filling I used in the macarons, but there are still little blobs of chocolate on the kitchen curtains and the cats. Something soupier or more liquid would probably make a bigger mess, so be forewarned. This is a particular problem for me because I always make a mess when I cook. After I make blueberry pie, the cats, sink and microwave are usually a pretty purple color that doesn't wash out for a couple of weeks. I don't need an appliance that adds to the chaos.

One reviewer appreciated the 'heft.' I didnt catch the name, but it was either Mr. Universe or our ex-Governor Schwarzenneger. I'm not weakling, but do find the mixer a little on the heavy side. I kept changing hands because once you start beating eggs, you really can't stop. And while the bread hooks made kneading much, much easier, it was still hard work just clinging to the mixer. It felt like I was holding a bucking bronco at one point. The handle is ergonomic, which is fancy talk for padded. It helps, but it's still heavy. Another reviewer mentioned that the retractable cord was too short. I don't find it short at all. Unless you are planning to stroll to downtown Yemen while mixing up your pancake batter, the cord is plenty long.

The "Inspire" also comes comes with a whisk, which I have not tried, and a spatula for for folding ingredients into one another. Since folding is generally a delicate process, I don't know if this overpowered machine is appropriate. I think it might bring too much muscle to the job.

And finally, the 'eject' mechanism doesn't work very well. It's not a button it's just a spot with a plastic label on it. I pressed, jabbed, poked, prodded and jammed my finger on the spot to no avail. Even my usual 'go to' method of fixing anything broken or stuck, which is whacking it against the side of the refrigerator, didn't help. When you are in a frenzy to lick the chocolate off the beaters, this can be a major problem. I thought maybe this was just a one off thing because the mixer was new, so I put the beaters back in and, sure enough, had the same problem again. You just have to keep pushing and hope for the best.

So, for the money, not a bad mixer as long as you know where the problems are and compensate for them. Just take a deep breath before trying to get the attachments to eject. And NEVER EVER become so impatient that you lick the beaters before removing them from the machine. I still have a slight lisp.

2.0 out of 5 stars Defective product!, February 21, 2007
Lisa B. (Rochester, NY) - See all my reviews
I bought this mixer because the price seemed pretty good, it had a retractable cord, and came with plenty of accessories. However, the first time I used it, I realized that a "low speed" does NOT exist on this mixer! Even on the lowest setting, the stuff I was mixing in the bowl went flying all over my kitchen. There seems to be little difference between low and high speeds. My mom happens to own the same one (we bought them around the same time), and hers has the exact same problem. She spoke with Oster on the phone today, and apparently they've had a lot of complaints about this model. They're sending her a replacement. I plan to call them tomorrow to see if they will send me a replacement also.

Bottom line, unless you want to lose half of what you're mixing and actually LIKE scrubbing things off the wall, this is NOT the mixer for you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, August 7, 2008
Oster is one of my favorite kitchen appliances brands, but unfortunately this mixer is below average. Key for any mixer is its speed control, and this one hardly seems to have any. It almost starts at full speed, which implies that more liquid mixtures end up all over the place except your mixing bowl. Conclusion: I do not recommend the purchase of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, April 5, 2007
Good hand mixer, with quality attachments, cord recoil works well. All around good buy, works well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mixer, October 17, 2007
I liked it the first month (purchased in August) and then I was mixing a cake in September and it shorted out, sparked and the motor burned out. I would not recommend this mixer.OSTER 6sp. HAND MIXER 250 WATTS, RETRACTABLE CORD

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This!!!, February 14, 2013
I bought this more than a year ago from a big box store, not Amazon, but I feel the need to tell other consumers my experience with this product.

Looking at the product description, I liked the retractable cord, the multiple speed, the different tools. I had an Oster hand mixer before and it worked well for many years. I think I ended up giving it to Goodwill when I got a stand mixer. So I thought I would be getting a good, reliable product. After all, it's just a hand mixer, not that complicated an appliance, how bad can it be?

Like the other reviewers said, it really didn't have multiple speeds as it promised, it's just high. The so called "burst of power" button does nothing as far as I can tell. But it's cheap, I decided to live with it. The cord never fully retracted after the first 2 times. 3 months later, after less than 10 uses, the beaters started to make horrendous noises, I think it was misaligned. Since it was too late to return it, I continued to use it, it worked, just noisy and I cursed it every time I used it. Then one day, the beaters just locked up for good. I tried to fix it, but it was just not going to work. I know it's inexpensive, but any price you pay is too much for such an inferior product. However, I do have to say I took great pleasure in hurling it into the trash bin, where it belongs!

1.0 out of 5 stars Speed control??, March 12, 2011
I was excited to finally have an electric mixer. This thing is powerful, for sure, but the lowest speed is already going full tilt! If you need to cover yourself and your possessions in flour, have at it. Otherwise, avoid this piece of junk!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This Mixer !, March 8, 2011
This mixer was not manufactured correctly. The holes were not drilled properly to accomodate the beaters. I could not get them in. I sent it back unused. Do not buy this Oster 2534.

1.0 out of 5 stars Twice mistaken, December 5, 2010
Bought two of these on sale, and both broke within months of using them. Not going for three as a charm! Do not recommend!