Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Color: WhiteChange
Price:$27.91+ $6.49 shipping

on December 7, 2007
I bought this to replace a Braun MR430, (its motor died after 2 years' heavy use). Compared to the Braun, the Oster's containers are much larger, and it's supposed to have more power. However, this takes much longer time to puree or chop food, and the result is not as fine as the Braun, especially the chopper - with the braun I could chop vegetables into very fine textures in seconds, but with the Oster it takes minutes and there are always some big chunks that could never be caught by the blade! Besides, when using the "high" setting there's a burning plastic smell.

I wish I had bought another Braun.
on May 1, 2007
I ordered the Oster 2605 hand blender in October '06,,, in April '07 the plastic on the blending rod attachment cracked in half and I could no longer use it. I emailed the company and in two days I had a reply telling me a replacement rod was being shipped right out to me, no charge. I had the piece a week later. This was the second hand blender I purchased in a year and I really thought I was going to have to buy a third one. I was thrilled at how easy it was to get it fixed.

ETA on August 4, 2008, well I haven't owned the hand blender for two years and the blending rod has broken for the second time. Now the blade is slipping right out of the rod when I try to use it. When I contacted the company they tell me I should go to a service center to get it repaired. Looks like no more replacements for me,,I'll probably be shopping for that third blender, hopefully I can find one that can actually stand up to constant use.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2011
I've had a plastic immersion blender for over a decade, and always hated that I couldn't disassemble it and run it through the dishwasher. I saw this one, with the metal end and dis-assembly options, so I thought it would be great, and with the food chopper on the side, even better! Unfortunately, it really wasn't great.

I got it for Christmas 2 yrs ago, and I found myself quickly going back to the plastic immersion blender, and even keeping my old mini chopper, too.

Pros: It is powerful! (almost too powerful) You can disassemble it to run the blades through the dishwasher. The cups are a good size, and I haven't experienced any burning smells, or breakage/wear on the plastic pieces. (Of course, I don't use it much, either.)

Cons: The metal immersion part is very sharp edged on the bottom (not the blade - the surround), and I'm afraid to use it in my Teflon pans (my bad, didn't think about that one.) I use mine to make mashed potatoes in record time, so it's a lot of contact with the pan. I imagine if you just want to make milkshakes in the provided cup, it would work fine, though I'm not at all sure I'd try it with anything lumpy. This thing really throws, so if your cup is half full of solids, and half liquid, I'd expect some kitchen cleanup after. Even with powdery drink mixes, I think this thing is gonna coat your kitchen. It is too strong for use in the cup without a lid. It either sucks itself to the bottom, or creates a hurricane in the glass.

The chopper: While it's a good sized bowl, the chopper inside simply won't chop after the first few passes. It throws everything up on the walls, where it stays, and the stuff at the bottom gets pureed, while the rest stays untouched. The lid is the worst design I've ever seen, and is near impossible to get it off, once you use it. When you do get it off, it can go in the dishwasher, but it will be full of water that you can't get out, after. Not sure how hygienic that is.

Both bowls/cups are lacking any meaningful markings. The chopper bowl has none at all, and the Immersion cup is marked in "ml" markings, which are embossed, not colored, and without a magnifying glass, I defy you to read them. (I used markers to mark cups on the outside.)

Lastly, it's a space hog. The immersion stick assembled is easily over a foot tall, and I can't get it in my cupboards assembled. That means I have to have space for 3 parts, instead of the two I was replacing.

My motor works fine mechanically, but I just don't like it as much as I thought I would. Too bad.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2009
I bought this immersion blender about a year ago. Used it 4-5 times since then and it worked great. Got it out tonight to puree some baby food and the plastic part that attatches the blending rod to the motor housing is cracked and the blending rod just falls out. So, the motor still works fine but the crappy design makes it impossible to use. Can't find a replacement part online, so now I'm looking for a new one--but across the board these are made with plastic. Even the ones that look like stainless are really chrome covered plastic. It really makes me wonder if all these companies are making these as throw-aways instead of making them durable enough for 10+ years of useage LIKE THEY SHOULD. I am not happy about sending this to the landfill and buying another one. This one should still be functioning!
on May 5, 2009
Doesn't chop, Vegy's get stuck under blade and blade won't turn. This is not designed properly. If blade was spinning and there was an opening to throw vegys in this would work. Don't buy it
on August 15, 2007
We are very pleased with the power of this blender and it is a snap to clean.

One word of caution, please ensure that the power is set to low on the top edge of the handle. Then increase slowly. This hand blender has the power to blend and mince, and can send contents over the edge of the pot. My wife loves it, and cleaning the unit is a easy.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
this easy to clean and use white blender has invented a new way of eating for me .. i have always liked to eat healthy but i was never a huge salad fan untill my sister introduced me to this blender with the detachable part for chopping food.. now that i can easily make chopped salads using different settings i have been eating a lot more healthy
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
this blender is perfect. great compact size with dual abilities for food and ice drinks. the lid/ rubber base is a wonderful multipurposed accessory. this blender is blending while measuring made easy
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this one specifically because the box said it had a more powerful motor than the next model down. It sure does, if by "powerful" you mean "way too fast to be useful at mixing anything."

It is SO fast that if I use it as an immersion blender directly in a soup pot, for example (soups are the main purpose for which I bought a hand blender), it does one of two things: if I hold it parallel to the bottom, it creates a powerful vacuum and practically attaches itself to the bottom of the pot; if I hold it at an angle to the bottom of the pot, hot soup sprays everywhere. Yay for power!

(and that is on the "low" setting, with the speed dial turned all the way down)

I have owned many hand blenders and this one is by far the worst in terms of any practical application. It's too scary to use for hot soups and can't really handle ice in cold drinks. The metal blade also makes a rattling noise - I think it's rubbing against the housing, somehow - and the motor heats up in a frightening way.

I thought the little chopper might come in handy, but it is gutless and unless you use exactly the right quantity of ingredients (not too much, not too little) it can't do anything with them. I tossed in some garden herbs and I knew it was going to be a problem including chives the second I saw them in there. Indeed, they wrapped themselves around the post in the middle and remained untouched by the blades. The rest of the herbs were barely touched because they adheres to the sides and didn't get chopped much. With enough basil leaves, it made adequate pesto, though it would have been nice to have it more finely ground.

The mixing cup it comes with is a good size and shape, but its suction base, along with that of the little chopper, get dirty inside and have to be removed for cleaning and reassembled only when completely dry. The description here on Amazon says they can be used as lids - I hadn't realized that, which might be handy, but as bases, they're a pain. It also mentions a "whisk attachment," by the way, but there's none in the picture and mine certainly didn't come with one, so read other reviews or check with the manufacturer.

This is not a cheap appliance, and I'm ashamed for paying more only to end up with an inferior blender.
on December 7, 2012
This hand blender has a heavy duty motor that still works but the shaft didn't last long, even though i am a light user and have never used for hot foods.

The plastic on the metal shaft eventually cracked. However, i was able to super glue it on one occasion which gave me a couple of months additional use out of the blending shaft. But the super glue didn't last and used hot glue instead. Again, the fix only lasted a couple of months.

But now it seems there is a burning rubber smell and the blades sizzle after usage. It seems that maybe there is rubber inside the shaft and its obviously being melted away during usage.

In any case, i contacted Oyster CS to see if i can buy a replacement blending shaft (since the motor is fine). It took them a week to respond and asked for some code engraved on the prongs to the ac cord connector. Its been a week and no reply from them.

I had believed i was buying a name brand with reliability. But now i am convinced it is no longer a company that has credibility and reliable products.

I mean, what is the big deal or costs involved with having replacement parts (like the blending shaft) available to buy? But there is no such option for us, other than to buy a whole new package. Fortunately, for us consumers, we are not that ignorant - anymore.

Therefore, I don't think this is a good product to buy or buy again.

Lastly, since my first hand blender was a Hamilton Beach and its blending shaft failed to; I will obviously be looking at other brands - maybe Cuisinart or something.