Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Package Quantity: 1Size: 5-CupChange

on January 5, 2010
I just got this cooker today, so durability is not something I can rate yet.

These are the things I like;

1. No plastic. This was important for me. Both the bottom rice cooker and the steamer tray are metal. The lid is glass.

2. Nice and compact. I cook for my wife and myself, so I don't something huge, and of course storage space is always limited. The steamer tray is small; on the other hand, the manual claims that this can cook up to 5 cups of rice.

3. Easy cleanup. Yes some of the rice made a gooey mess in the bottom, but a little soaking took it all right out.

4. Inexpensive.

5. Multi-purpose. I have used it once so far, and here's what I did. I put some brown rice in the bottom rice cooker, and some salmon, broccoli and cauliflower in the steamer tray. The manual says nothing about steaming anything other than veggies, but I thought I'd try it. The result: Excellent. The salmon was cooked to perfection, and so were the vegetables. So I had a complete, tasty, and healthy meal, all in one cooker, and so long as I was prepared to let the bowl and the tray soak for a bit, cleanup was a breeze. Oh and you can make soups, stews, etc. instead of cooking rice. It's not a large-capacity cooker but it would make plenty of stew for two people.

Things I don't like:

1. No timer. It apparently senses when the steam is gone, and then switches to "warmer" mode automatically. The only control is a switch that goes from "cook" to "warmer." This also means that you have to unplug it to turn it off, though that doesn't bother me.

That's about the only thing I have to carp about so far. It didn't bubble or spit at all.

If I can get at least three or four years of regular (and by regular I mean nearly daily) use out of this thing, I'll consider it an extremely good value.

Update June 2010: OK sometimes it does bubble and spit a bit. Nothing terrible. I've used it probably 25 times altogether without any problems. Considering the low purchase price, I'd call this thing a good value. I'd buy it again.

UPDATE: Three years later, it's still going strong. The steamer pan has become discolored and strange looking--blotchy is the word--but it still works great. It has never failed to cook rice perfectly.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2009
I've never owned a rice cooker before this, however, I have cooked lots of rice over the years. Its an inexpensive rice cooker and if you follow the directions, it'll do fine.

Since moving to the mountains of Colorado, its taken me years to adjust to the lowered the boiling point due to the higher elevation (8300')... it takes more time (add ~10-20min) and the dry climate means using more water (for a 1 cup of dry rice, takes ~2.5+ cups water rather than 2cups). Still, there have been many times when rice just didn't work out the way I wanted.

So I mentioned that it would be nice to have a rice cooker and let it deal with the cook time. Of course I had done some research, and when this came in the mail as a present, I was a little nervous since Oster's seem to get so-so reviews. Well, I cooked my typical basmati rice, a 1/2 cup dry and added my typical 1c water plus extra, put lid on, pressed the button and went to do something else.

A lot of reviewers mention how the rice on the bottom gets over-cooked, sometimes brown or burnt. Some reviewers like the crunchiness, some hate it. Well, the directions tell you to stir the rice - especially the bottom of the cooker after 15 minutes. Sure enough, the rice at the bottom was starting to stick. I scraped it all loose, added another 1/4 cup water, chopped it up a little, put the lid on, and let fate take its course. Would the rice by a burnt mess? 20 minutes later we had the best sticky rice we've ever had!

Plus it seemed to cook faster. And I really liked that it went to 'warm' mode automatically. One major drawback: It spewed hot sticky water up under the lid and through the vent all over the kitchen but once we wiped the lid off (without picking up the lid), it settled down. If you are a neat freak or want a set-and-forgot, this rice cooker is not for you. And for me, I'll come up with a little steam catcher helmet and deal with the mess. For the price, its a good buy. And, I love the red color too!

[found this cool tip from Spyce: To help keep the starch from bubbling up and spraying out of the vent hole, rinse the rice thoroughly and drain. Heat a small amount of olive oil in the rice bowl, once the oil is heated, carefully add the rice and saute it for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the water and continue cooking.] I'm going to try this tip next time!

BTW, this cooker seems like a knock-off of the similar Rival rice cooker (both owned by Jarden]
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2010
I bought this thinking it would take up so much less space on my counter top than the other model I had in mind. I got home to use it and was so disappointed until I read a comment someone else made about a review. It did sputter and spit and shoot rice water on my counter and the rice seemed to stick-the trick is to add a little butter or oil of your choice and a little salt. Now it works like a charm! I usually add liquids and butter first, then the rice. I start it up an hour or two before I want to actually eat the rice, or even longer. I've let it run for 3-4 hours before. It keeps the rice nice and warm all that time. I use this about every day-we love rice and I just started a gluten free diet so I'm eating more rice instead of noodles. I'm glad I checked the reviews after the initial disappointment. This one is a keeper.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2010
As a single person I loathed shopping for a rice cooker. After browsing Target and Bed Bath and Beyond I was sad because they seemed to sell only huge rice cookers. Leftovers are good but one person does NOT need a 10 cup rice cooker. This is the perfect size for one, maybe two, people.

It cooks quickly, cleans easily, and can steam vegetables or meat so you don't have to dirty two appliances for dinner.

I have two gripes about it though. First one is the bowl sitting on the heating element is held down by the lid and food inside. Sometimes if I lift the lid to stir, the bowl pops up and off the heating element and the switches go from Cooking to Keep Warm. Then you must reset it and risk burning the food if you aren't watching. The second is that there is no cookbook or recipes in with the appliance. First appliance I've bought that didn't at least have a handful of recipes in the instruction guide. You're left to pretty much guess the times and amounts for most of the cooking.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2015
I LOVE IT! I was unsure after reading some of the comments about the lack of off switch or whatever, but I bought it anyway and I absolutely adore it!

This little rice cooker is small enough for my tiny space in my kitchen, but big enough to do enough rice to feed our family of 6 using proper portions!

The ability to cook veg on top is just awesome and so far i've tried carrots on their own and a stir fry, while cooking rice. The stir fry veggies came out amazing and tasted better than when actually stir fried and I cooked veggie bites (like chicken nuggets but full of brocoli etc) i the steamer, while rice was cooking, too!

I've only had this thing for 2 days and already it is the most used "gadget" in my kitchen!

The on and off switch is no big deal. It heats then turns to warm. When you are done, put your rice in a container, unplug, clean up, great!

This little guy cleans up very easy with soap and water!

The instructions tell you to stir rice a while into cooking and a paddle is provided for doing so, so you don't need to worry about using metal utensils or anything like that!

It says not to cook minute rice, and it says that brown rice takes longer. I actually tried brown minute rice our of curiousity and it cooked actually just the way I like it!

For $18 this is a gem and you won't be disappointed!
review image review image review image
on June 30, 2011
Ok, I read all the reviews Before Buying, and I use this cooker 4-5 times a week for the last 5 months with 2 cups of uncooked brown or jasmine rice, and without a doubt this is one of the best values for the money...It has some special needs in use but I think they are common to all cookers..
1.) need to stir rice in the water before starting to get the rice on the bottom wet
so it will not burn.
2.) need to remove rice pot from cooker as soon as cooker goes to warm mode, as
continuing to heat rice will cause it to burn on bottom.
3.) cheap wite rice has a lot of starch that really makes a mess all over the cover
and on the counter around the cooker,.. try Jasmine rice just a little more
expensive but no starch mess, the lid does not even need to be washed when done.
4.) pot cleans easy if let soak in soapy water for a short time then just wipes out.

*** when It breaks I will be replacing it with another,

(update)- 18 months and still going strong,used 2-3 times a week, simple and easy to use. awesome value for the price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2011
This is nice rice cooker, especially for one person. I have had this rice cooker for 3 years now and it's such a time saver. I put in 1 cup of brown rice and 2.5 cups of water and press down on the "on" button and leave it. It's so simple; now I don't to worry about burning my rice. If you had rice "stick" on this, try adding a 1/4 cup more water. That should do the trick. (Note: If you use white rice, the ratio 1 cup rice to 2 cups water.)

It also has a nice steamer, so you can steam vegetables at the same time. It has a small "footprint" so it doesn't take up a lot of room. It does the job and is inexpensive. One thing I did notice is the power cord length is on the short side, but I am very satisfied.
on June 11, 2012
The main complaints about this very affordable, small-capacity rice cooker seem to be that it burns rice on the bottom, and that starchy water bubbles and spits out the vent hole. I've had this cooker for 7 months, frequent use, and have never had anything burn to the bottom or even stick, and the only time I had any bubbling/minor spitting out the vent hole was the one time I didn't take the time to rinse the rice first in a strainer before putting it in. The directions clearly tell you to rinse the rice under running water until the water runs clear. If you don't rinse it, yes, the excess starch will bubble and burn. This is user error, not a flaw with the cooker.

Pros: Cheap. Small (counter space and storage space for appliances is at a premium in my house). Has a steamer basket function, so no additional steamer needs to be plugged in/have room made for it on the stove. Cute color, and metal/glass construction. Easy to clean.

Cons: None, so far.

If used correctly, this does what it is supposed to...cook rice without user intervention. You should not need to open, stir, add oils, etc. You should be able to put the ingredients in, hit the button, and come back when the cooking cycle is done and the warm feature is popped on, and have flawless rice. It is possible, but only if you use it properly. You really need to rinse the rice's not a helpful suggestion, it's how to do it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2009
Look, all rice cookers require a degree of set-it-and-forget-it-but-pay-attention. It's in the nature of the beast.

I put into the cooker a scoop (included measurer) of brown rice, 2.5 cups water, a veggie bouillon cube, and some olive oil; and in *ABOUT* an hour, sometimes less, sometimes more, check your local weather conditions, I have a VERY NICE bowl of WELL-COOKED rice. Okay, sometimes it needs to sit an extra hour, power off, to fluff properly. So COOK AHEAD OF TIME!

I can serve it directly or use it in a salmon skillet; different results require some attention to detail, but anyone who CANNOT use this device is an IDIOT.

In the two years I've owned this machine, I've cooked MINIMUM five hundred bowls of rice. It works.

I ADORE this machine.
on December 28, 2010
Simple to operate and it worked great. We've prepared 1 1/2 cups of uncooked Nishiki rice + 3 cups of water and had more than enough for 2 people. The pot is half full at this quantity and will, therefore, accommodate double (6 cups of cooked rice) as stated on the box. My measurements are in 8 ounce cups.

Taking other reviewers' advice, we first sprayed the bottom with oil, added our rinsed rice and water, and then added about 1/2 teas. salt before turning the cooker on. I set the kitchen timer for 15 minutes as a reminder to stir. At about 10 minutes after stirring, the unit switched automatically to warm and continued to cook off moisture for another 5 minutes. We could find no evidence of spraying or spattering inside or outside. The sticky rice tasted great and was kept warm throughout the meal with no sticking or burning. We will try an entire meal next. The steamer basket is large enough for a thick piece of fish surrounded by vegetables. The steamer insert does not encroach upon the area used for rice. It is great size for a meal for two or, if only rice is needed, for a family of 3 to 4.

Longevity is an unknown. Beyond that, I think that if the otherwise clear instruction booklet included the oil and salt tips we were lucky enough to have read about online, there would be few negative reviews.