on April 26, 2012
Sorry for the quality of the video, Amazon doesn't allow higher res videos but hopefully this will help you see what you are getting. Just to summarize this is a great blender especially for the price I was choosing between this and Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender with Travel Lid, Blackand I am extremely satisfied that I purchased the Osterizer because it has a higher capacity, way more blending options, and a built in fan to cool it. In the video the blender locks up for a second because I started with just straight ice and a little too much of it haha but once liquid and other ingredients were added all was well.

Only cons are that it is plastic and that it doesn't lock although it is pretty secure.

Also As stated in the video I have run this blender on high for 7 minutes straight with no burning smell or problems the fan works great. The smoothie I made was the same consistency all the way through and very smooth. I would recommend this blender as an entry level device for anyone!
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2011
This is the best blender I've had, and also the least expensive. I've had it a few months, use it 4-5 times per week, and I'm really pleased with it. It blends properly and does not leave lumps in the bottom of the jar. The only odd thing is that you have to make sure the jug is positioned properly on the base - other brands of blenders I've used have jugs that lock down firmly.

UPDATE: Recently when I pressed the "blend/puree" button nothing happened. It has died, but the rest of the buttons still work. I didn't need all those settings anyway, so as long as it will blend I have no plans to buy a replacement.

ADDITION: 2013, still happy with this cheap blender, even with one retired button! I should have mentioned (Oster should have made a very big deal about this) that the blending blade assembly also fits home canning jars. Very useful for making salad dressing.
on May 22, 2013
Had this blender for a year and use it several times a week to make fruit and veggie smoothies.

PRO: It crushes ice perfectly well, no problems whatsoever if you put in no more than 5 cubes at a time.

PRO: No problem with frozen fruit (I used berries) or fresh fruit. I blended tough mangos, melons, pineapple, strawberries, celery, carrots, beets. apples (and I don't cut them too small beforehand). I use the "ice crusher/pulse" button to break all the food down, then switch to the liquify feature. I even grated almonds in it.

Admittedly, the smoothies do not come out as smooth and perfectly blended as professional blenders (but also it might be that I'm too impatient to leave the blender running for several minutes at a time; I usually don't blend for more than 1-2 minutes) but they're not chunky, they're perfectly drinkable.

PRO: I was worried about the plastic jar, but it's proven pretty tough. Hasn't cracked yet. I wash everything by hand, so can't speak as to how well it holds up in a dishwasher. But it's not nearly as delicate as it appears. Very easy to clean and store.

In regards to the plastic top being a hazard by slipping too easily thru the rubber--I don't know how hard everybody was pushing it in; just don't push it in so hard and it won't fall in!

CON: It did smell like burning rubber the first few times I used it, but that's gone now. The blender is loud, but most blenders are loud.
You hear the ventilation on the bottom, but even after I run it for 3,4 minutes straight it doesn't overheat.

CON: The cord is very short.

CON: The jar does not lock in place, and the blender shakes when it's handling a lot of food or when it's on pulse mode. So you have to hold it, at least for the first minute until the blending becomes smoother. This is the only real con that I take issue with.

IN GENERAL, it's a fine blender for the price. Makes great smoothies, just takes a little care while handling.
VINE VOICEon June 10, 2007
This blender does crush ice and makes my smoothies with ease (the recipe's in my book, Feeding the Kids!). I have even ground coffee with the blender a few times. Its motor is holding up well after around 2 years of heavy usage and washings in the dishwasher.

The other review mentioned leaking. The blender only leaks when you put the rubber gasket on below the blade attachment. It's an easy mistake to make--and an easy mistake to correct. There is a note engraved on the blade attachment showing just where to put the gasket, but it's not very noticeable unless you look for it.

My main complaint is that the lid of the blender is very poorly made and warped in the dishwasher. Also, the middle part of the lid fell into the blender and was pureed into my soup while I was blending it. That's a major design flaw. The lid is the main reason I give this product 3 stars.

Update: It finally died after about 4 years of fairly heavy usage. The motor still works, but the stem that spins snapped off. I did have to replace the rubber gasket, blades, lid and glass jar (my fault, I dropped it) over the years--but still, an OK blender for the price.
on February 13, 2011
I bought this blender about two months ago when my other Oster broke. Unlike my old one this came with a plastic jar. It works nicely and it can take a serious beating when i threw in four roma tomatoes whole. For the price it'll get the job done but if i could do it all over again i get one with a glass jar, cause plastic and odors from food like to hang out with each other. Plastic gets buffed in time as well.
on December 12, 2006
I love this blender. Oster makes really great blenders at a low price. Their motors are strong and the blade is sharp enough to crush ice. The all-metal drive means that you don't have to worry about it breaking down any time soon. The plastic jar is better than the glass ones because they are lighter and won't shatter and break when you drop it since it's break-resistant.
on October 30, 2011
Our old Oster blender finally died after years of service so I set out to find an exact replacement. This blender fit the bill and was very inexpensive. Not sure all the buttons are labeled the same but the jar mechanics are exactlly the same. The jar is plastic which is why it is a little less expensive than the same blender with a glass jar. I kept my old glass jar so this was not an issue for me.
Works great. Have had no issues so far.
on July 8, 2007
I paid more than this I think - great price. I really like this blender. It crushes ice with ease. Of course makes great smoothies...and even just put 3 ice cubes in with a cup of chocolate milk (low-fat)...blend it up good and it tastes like a milkshake. I bought the mini-jar and I like that too for grating flax seeds. And I got the Blend-n-Go cup.
No leaking here. As the other person stated...as long as you put the rubber gasket on right it is fine- seals tight. I like that Oster has so many replacement parts here on Amazon. Excellent product and will be back if it gives me trouble.
on June 20, 2011
I bought this item two weeks ago, and let me tell you that im very happy with it, great price, fast shipping. I highly recommend it.
on June 23, 2013
I wanted to like this blender and for the first smoothie I made I did like its power and figured out how to not use the high speeds if I actually wanted to get the fruit to blend.

Then on about my fifth use of this blender, I had some unrefrigerated fruit and added 3 ice cubes and about 1/2 cup of water to make a crushed ice slurry to cool down the room temp fruit for a smoothie. It did a great job smashing the cubes at high speed along with the water to make a nice cold crushed ice and water base. I then added some peach slices (no not the pit) and a peeled banana, yogurt and protein powder and a bit more water. It blended up beautifully and I poured it all into a tall glass to enjoy.

As I was savoring the cold, thick, not too sweet smoothie, I felt something hard and sharp hit my tongue. I pulled it out and it looked like a small shard of glass. I continued and hit another piece. I threw the rest of the smoothie down the drain carefully and discovered another piece in the glass and another in the container. Those pieces went down the drain but I managed to save the first two for the photos above (assuming it gets published). After washing out the container I found numerous chips in small vertical plastic vanes on the inside. My daughter had drunk a smoothie the day before but did not notice any chip, but based on the number of places where the vane had been chipped this had apparently happened before I discovered it.

My advice would be to not even consider this blender. Get one with an all glass container with smooth insides. I must admit I did pick this up a that box store with the bullseye because I needed it quick and it was a few dollars cheaper. They took it back, but fellow consumers need to know about this and Oster has to get the message, build better stuff!
review image review image