4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, Sleek and Versatile Kitchen Appliance
Great little toaster oven w/ lots of options. Possesses wide range of ability - from making toast to baking muffins. The rounded back side of the toaster oven allows for a 9" frozen pizza to be cooked within. Great thinking. Controls are simple, and easy to understand. A superior value for the money.

Room for improvement (reason for 4 stars/not 5):...
Published on September 10, 2005 by Nikki

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to use as a four-slice toaster
Published on December 7, 2003 by C. Goodman

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, Sleek and Versatile Kitchen Appliance, September 10, 2005
Nikki (rockchalk, jayhawk) - See all my reviews

Room for improvement (reason for 4 stars/not 5):

1. The timer is loud - not obnoxiously so, but one is aware that the oven is on.

2. The design of the handle/glass door. Be very careful when opening the oven door! It is all too easy to touch part of the very hot glass door (burns!) when using the front handle. If you are aware of this - and are careful, is not a problem. Would not want children using this appliance for this reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by silly reviews, November 3, 2007
Martin Ben-Ari (Wheatley Hts, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster 6293 6-Slice Convection Toaster Oven, Black (Kitchen)
We bought this toaster oven at Target. Before opening the package I read the user reviews listed here. Some were so negative I began to think we might have to return the product.
Then we set it up ,read the instructions and tried it out. I then began to realize that some people have very little common sense: an oven without insulation will get hot on the outside and the manual warns you to leave 4 inches on all sides clear and to keep the linecord from touching the back.
As to noise from the timer and the fan, I find both very quiet and even find it reassuring to know the timer is running. The fan really helps to heat items faster.
As to controls, it is clear to me that the top one selects the functions, such as which heating elements are on, the second knob sets the temperature and the bottom one is a simple clockwork timer
I have no trouble setting up the three dials for toasting or to turn the timer dial past 20 to wind up the clockwork, and then between the two marks for toasting.
Obviously while an appliance like this is running you should not leave the kitchen any more than leaving the house with an electric heater on.
We have so far reheated pastry, warmed up Italian bread, toasted bread and waffles and are looking forward to reheating pizza in it rather than light the regular gas oven, and making grilled cheese sandwiches.
So far I see nothing that makes me suspect we shall not be able to enjoy normal use of this appliance and its functions.
I would only suggest to the manufacturer to use lighter colored control knobs to improve the readability of the controls.I marked the tips of the three pointers with a dab of white paint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great baking, August 12, 2006
I bake in my toaster oven. I use it for cornbread, brownies, oatmeal-peach crisp, baked chicken, anything I can fit in a 9" pan. This is the only oven I have found that will allow for a square or a round 9" pan. I tested the temperature and found it accurate within 7 degrees, which is close enough for me, especially for a toaster oven. Just watch the bisquits and rolls as they will get done very quickly. I can't speak for the toast setting since we use an actual toaster, but we do make our own pizza bread and garlic bread on the bake setting, and it's great. I don't think the convection fan is very loud, and I like the controls very much. I am withholding the fifth star because the oven, like every other oven on the market, gets extremely hot. If a toaster can have a cool-touch front, it seems like a toaster oven could have a cool-touch exterior. But I just love how much I can do in this oven. Oh, I also broil parmesan turkey patties in this, also great. Don't overlook this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty pleased (though not ecstatic), November 23, 2008
EDIT:
I now have over three years experience with the Oster 6293 6-Slice Convection Toaster Oven, Black, and it continues to work flawlessly!

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
This is the Model 6293 Oster 6-Slice Convection Toaster Oven. I state that up front, because there are a lot of reviewers here writing about clearly different models. When a person can't even correctly identify the item they have, the credibility of the entire review goes out the window. With that said, I'll attempt to provide what I consider to be reasonably accurate information based upon my experience with this appliance.

In deference to those who complain that their T/O exploded, went up in flames, or just stopped working, I truly sympathize. The fact is though, that after extended use, I have had nary a problem with mine. I hereby offer my personal thoughts on the following complaints found in ACTUAL reviews of this product on Amazon.com.

Hot on the outside? Hellooo . . . they all are! That must be why they have non-metallic handles. Pots and pans get hot, too, but you don't go grabbing one of those with bare hands, do you? Hot. Handles. Okay?

Complicated settings? C'mon, there are three simple dials - function, temperature and cook time. How difficult could they possibly be to master? Oh, I see, they have to be turned. Well . . . oh, never mind.

Too lightweight? The thing weighs about 9 pounds, for crying out loud. Just how heavy does a toaster oven need to be? For the sake of stability, it does have four substantial rubber feet. So, regardless of weight, it's not gonna move around much.

Aluminum outer casing? Then why will a magnet stick to it?

Noisy convection fan? Sorry, I can barely hear mine running. The End.

Flimsy bake/broil pan? Yep, but that's not an issue unless you try to cook a 5 pound ham in it. A regular kitchen oven is far better suited to that purpose anyhow. Having said that, operator error did reduce mine to a puddle of molten aluminum when I inadvertantly set it on a hot cooktop burner. I just sucked it up and bought a better quality pan.

Pizza droops when baking? Well, probably not if it isn't hanging over the edges of the rack. Besides, that's what pizza crisping pans are for.

Short electrical cord? Yeah, I suppose that could present a countertop logistics problem to some. Not an issue for me, though, 'cause I got plenty of electrical outlets in all the right places. And, yes, they're GFI outlets . . . the ones that one reviewer didn't even know could be reset.

Your parents had a fire in one of these? And they gave it to you?? And you use it??!!?? Umm . . . about that inheritance you were counting on . . .

Toasts bread only on one side? Try flipping the rack over and/or inserting it into a different rack guide (there are two sets of 'em) so that it's centered in the oven. Trust me, you really can do that. It's not like the nails in the box that can only be used on the wall they point to. As a last resort, try the "Toast" settings on both the function and temperature dials. Uh huh, they're really there.

The crumb tray doesn't have a lip on it? Please look again. No, that's the wire cooking rack.

Here's an odd one - when removing the crumb tray, the crumbs catch on the heating elements and fall onto the bottom of the oven. Uh, there's one full inch of distance between the element and the tray. Literally, an un-split bagel would clear. Julia Child, you've got yourself a serious crumb problem!

You removed the door spring (why?), and you use a can to keep the door closed?? Aren't you the one who tossed a perfectly good vegetable strainer 'cause the water kept running out of it?

For my money, $59 to be exact, this is a pretty decent toaster oven. It looks good, and it performs reasonbly well. My research indicates that these things are the second most polarizing of any kitchen appliance, at least in terms of user opinions . . . surpassed only by coffee grinders. Notwithstanding that fact, I side with those of you who are satisfied with this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to use as a four-slice toaster, December 7, 2003
If you're looking for an over-sized toaster to bake roasts or chicken breasts, this is a good one. If you're looking for a toaster that really toasts six slices at once, this is not the one for you. If you use both racks at the same time, the top rack only toasts the top half of the upper toast, and the bottom rack toasts the bottom half of the lower toast. Having to set the temperature every time you use the toaster can be frustrating. But having a timer feature for this price is great.
I only use the toaster with the bottom rack turned upside down, so it's more in the middle of the toaster unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red rules!, December 3, 2006
E. Maddox (Alexandria VA) - See all my reviews
It's first and foremost a beautiful toaster oven. Good design, handsome color, the rounded back accommodates larger real life bakeware, its temperature appears to be accurate and consistent. It arrived Thursday, was put in place by Friday, it baked a cornbread for Friday's dinner. On Saturday it made three home made pizzas in rapid succession. If you can handle a slightly larger toaster oven so you can ignore the *real* oven inconveniently placed below your waist level in the stove, then this is the answer. I am tall and enjoy countertop ovens, one day maybe I will discard that traditional range and go for the big expensive guy with better ergonomics, in the meantime this one is pleasing to the eye and works as intended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best yet!, February 8, 2008
Amazon Customer (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase of the Oster Toaster Oven. This oven is so easy to clean with the slide out drawer in the bottom. I can simply dump out crumbs or wipe the tray down after every use. The other so called 'easy clean' toaster ovens proved to be a pain and the trays so difficult to remove that crumbs were spilled everywhere. I am happy with the toasting time (much quicker than the DeLonghi) and the evenness of cooking, the look to match the black appliances in my kitchen, the reasonable cost, and the size. Learning to use it merely takes a quick browse through the manual....don't let some of the other reviewers scare you away on that feature! All in all, my favorite toaster oven yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile toaster oven, July 23, 2007
Paula (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
Food tastes much better reheated on the stovetop or in the oven than in a microwave. The texture is better too.
This convection oven heats food faster than the oven in the stove and doesn't throw off as much heat so that it's usable in the summer.

Opening the door pulls out the attached rack, making it easy to remove hot food. Wrapping food that splatters in aluminum foil helps keep the oven clean. Heating pizza (fresh or frozen) is fast and the crust comes out tasting good.

The red color is also a plus!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Loud, Too Hot, May 27, 2007
David Bangs (Issaquah, WA USA) - See all my reviews
We bought this at Target. We loved the idea that it would fit a pizza and 6 slices of bread. We loved the idea that with the convection feature, it could cook more efficiently and evenly.

Well, almost. This six-slice toaster oven fits FIVE slices of bread if you arrange them cleverly, or 6 round Eggo waffles. We did fit in a small frozen pizza, and it cooked nicely.

But the convection fan is so loud! Do you want a lawn mower in your kitchen? The whole flimsy metal case vibrates. I've never even imagined that a kitchen appliance could be that loud.

Also, the outside gets extremely hot. This is not normal. Our older toaster oven is *much* cooler to the touch on the top and sides. It has to be, because if it got as hot as the Oster, its plastic case would melt.

The two ovens are the same size on the outside, but Oster made its inside larger by getting rid of all the insulation. It leaks so much heat that the heating elements never turns off. Trying to heat the whole house is not very energy efficient.

We couldn't just replace our existing toaster oven with this, because the nearby plastic items on the counter would melt and the fruit would be ruined. So, it might as well be considerably larger.

On second thought, we're taking it back. Our old 4-slice toaster oven suddenly seems quite fine, thank you.

Tip: Plastic appliances aren't my favorite, but if you get a toaster oven with a plastic case, you know it must be insulated and won't take up extra "heat" space on the counter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Oven, So-So Toaster, July 5, 2007
T. Theuriet (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
After our old toaster oven died, I began looking for an upgrade. I wanted something that I could use more often to avoid firing up the full-sized gas oven. After reading many reviews of the Oster Convection ovens (although not this particular model number), I decided to try it.

I'm glad I did! I've been using this instead of my regular oven to cook two-person meals and I'm sure I've saved a lot on my natural gas bills because of it. At first, I was wary of the dial timer and its loud "bing" (which signals that it's done), but I've come to appreciate it more and more. I'm one of those people who always used to forget to set the timer when I put something in the oven. No chance of that with this model! It actually is spacious enough to fit a 9-inch pizza and an 8x8 baking dish, as well as a regular sized bread loaf pan. It does take some time to adjust to the toasting cycle - figuring out that 2 minutes is really light, 4 or 5 minutes is medium, anything beyond that, well, let's just say you'd better get ready to scrape your toast. For a long time.

The only downsides so far:
It doesn't seem to cook any faster than a regular oven, which is what I thought a convection oven is supposed to do.
It seems to take longer than a regular toaster to toast bread or bagels, although I haven't timed it to be sure.
When baking something with a crust or topping, the fan that is the signature of the convection oven seems to dry out the top. For example, ours has the fan on the right side (as you look in). So when I bake a quiche or a loaf of bread, the top left part of the quiche or bread kind of dries out. It isn't horrible, but it looks weird.
Last, but not least, it does get incredibly hot. This is not an oven that should be used by kids.