4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure which blender the *other* reviewers were using....
Published on June 18, 2002 by Matthew Ivester

1.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like they used to
Published on December 29, 2006 by Vanessa36

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure which blender the *other* reviewers were using...., June 18, 2002
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
Alright, so this isn't the *best* blender in the world. Not even close. But it's cheap, it's rugged, and it works perfectly well at most tasks. It chops, blends, and mixes just fine (and says it can also "grate", "puree", "shred", "cream", "chop", "grind", "whip", and "liquefy"). I've never had any problems crushing ice or making frozen drinks with mine -- although I'll admit that it will get jammed on big chunks of ice (more of a problem with the pitcher than the blender, I think... it just can't chop them effectively if they're too big to fit between the blades and the edge of the pitcher, or if they get stuck there). It's also (as the first reviewer noticed) not great at making milkshakes, since it just thrashes the bottom of it like crazy instead of mixing it -- but I'll bet it works a lot better if you replace the blade with the "Milkshake Blade" accessory that it talks about in the owner's manual. Mine has easily survived several years of use and abuse, including having a metal utensil left in it when it was turned on (punched a hole in the pitcher, but the motor was fine). If you're looking for a cheap, reliable entry-level blender, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blender, AMAZED at the many 1 stars not Osters fault!, May 1, 2011
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
People who gave this blender 1 star, do you have any common sense? The paragraphs below address most if not all 1 star review issues:

When you use the rubber gasket, you don't have to tighten the bottom to such an extreme that you crack it! Moderately tightening it is enough and it goes on the side of the blades not on the opposite side of the blades or else all the liquid will spill no matter how much you tighten it!

ALL blenders are difficult to clean, not just this one since they're all made with blades, rubber gaskets and glass or plastic jars. You would have to write a bad review of all blenders since they're all made in the same hard to clean way!

What you are smelling is not "burnt" smell it is probably the new smell of the motor along with the lubricant and it is not a strong smell at all. It goes away with time. Your saying you purchased another one and it had the same smell proves that it is normal. The motor needs to ventilate or it would burn out! When mine was new the smell was slight, not at all overwhelming.

If this blenders motor "quit" on you it's probably because you're placing large amounts of hard food or lots of ice without liquid or dry foods without liquid in other words, you're immobilizing the blades. Its always best to first place liguid in the blender and start it, then cut small pieces of food and then throw them in gradually.

I've had this blender for many years and have NO compalints but then again I realize its a blender not a magic wand! LOL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blender, October 4, 2011
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
Okay, this blender doesn't last very long, maybe a year. I've already had three of these blenders and that's because when they're working they work very well. I now have a KitchenAid blender that I'm getting ready to put in the cabinet because I'm going to order ANOTHER Oster blender, simply because the Oster blender is easier to clean and use.

Let me explain. The Oster blender chops and blends ice very well for the shakes I drink each morning. I screw the bottom off, take out the gasket, wash every thing and reassemble it. When I add my shake mix and vitamins, it mixes them up at the bottom of the blender. It also has several speeds that also work very well.

The KItchenaid blender does blend well, but it WILL NOT start off slow. Everything I put in it whizzes up to the top and sticks to the rubber top, which I then have to scrape off, back into the blender. When I put my chocolate protein shake mix into the blender, with my rice milk, press the mix button, it starts off very fast and all of my protein-shake mix goes straight to the top of the blender and, yes, it sticks to the rubber top, which I then have to scrape off, back into the blender. There's no way this blender can ever start blending slowly. This is the main complaint that I have. In order to get my shake mix into the blender without it getting all over the rubber top, I have to take the glass part out of the top and pour in my shake, which then splatters all over my kitchen cabinet doors, which I then have to clean. All in all, I hate this blender and I'll order as many Oster blenders as I have to to avoid all of the mess I have to deal with using the Kitchenaid Blender, number KSB465WH, 4-speed countertop blender with 48 oz. polycarbonate jar, white.

1.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like they used to, December 29, 2006
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
My Mother had an Oster blender from the 1970's for over 30 years and it worked great until the last few years. So I went and bought her a new one but it was terrible and had an awful burning smell. So I thought there was a defect just in that particular blender, and I returned it and foolishly got another one. The new one is just as bad and since I bought it at Filene's (which closed) I can't even return it. I bought a KitchenAid recently and even though it was $100.00 it was worth every penny. It's wonderful! I will never buy another Oster product again. I was so disappointed. I don't understand what happened to the quality of their product and it's interesting that other people have had the same experiences.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be sure to get the one with the glass blender jar!, June 23, 2002
Soozie4Him (Chicago suburbs) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
Before this one, I owned another Oster blender that had a plastic jar. It accidentally fell off the countertop and it cracked. The plastic jars also scratch easily and just aren't very durable!
So be sure you get the glass jar. Also, having the extra-powerful motor is good too. I only use a couple of different speeds, so I don't think more speeds are important, however.
This blender works well, however you do sometimes have to stick something in there to get the top of your concoction well-mixed in with the rest of it. But that's probably the case with most blenders.
I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because though the jar is dishwasher safe, you're still supposed to handwash the other parts. Blenders are great, but they're a pain to clean!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ice crushing feature not as good as older model, December 31, 2001
"ggambler" (Long Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
I purchased this blender to replace an older Oster 10 speed model I had (changed kitchen decor). All of the features of this blender are just as wonderful as the older versions, however I was disappointed in the ice crushing feature. While this model is very powerful and performs other features perfectly, I found that when trying to crush ice, the blades would just spin and you could hear the power of this blender (i.e. getting louder) truly try to do its job. But I found it to take much longer than with the older version. Why? I am not sure but its been the case every time I've tried to make smoothies. Eventually it will crush the ice but not nearly as quickly and efficiently as it should. Other than that, this blender does perform well. Its very simple to use and the new cup design is attractive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Practical Blender, February 11, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
I bought this to replace a Krups on which the gear had worn. With all metal working parts the Oster 6642 12 Speed Blender is a great improvement. Purees in just a few seconds. It has a nice wide mouth jar which saves spills when filling. Very Good design.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!!!!Oster is junk, August 15, 2004
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
Don't waste your money!!!!Oster is junk.........

I have owned a vintage Oyster 10 Speed from the 1970s. I had used at least 4 times a week for 25 some years. What a great blender it was. It had finally died 4 months ago. Since then I have had 4 OYSTER blends. I tried 2 14 speeds- 2 12 speeds. Each one of them the motors smoked and quit. WHAT A PIECE of crap oyster is making.I thought after 25 years they would have made them better! NOT!!!!!!!!. I make a smoothie just about every morning with bananas, a few frozen strawberries and yogurt. It can not handle that. So today I went garage saleing and found a vintage OYSTER blender for $2.00. Works great. Im sure it will last longer that any new one I bought. I will be looking for more antiquers for backups.

DEAR OYSTER COMANY: You have just lost a customer. No more products I will buy from you. You better go back to making them the way YOU USE to-because I will not keep buying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not terrible - just not that very good, November 26, 2006
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
Doesn't crush ice too well. Leaves small chunks. Stuff on the top doesn't make it down to the blade. I got this thing to make stuff like frozen margaitas, but it just doesn't blend the ice and the mix and alcohol into a smooth drink. I predict the item will hit the garbage when I find one to take it's place. I think I will give Hamelton Beach a try.

Forget about this one. Not worth it regardless of price. Very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good basic blender, March 9, 2013
This review is from: Oster 6642 12-Speed Blender, White (Kitchen)
I needed to replace my blender and I wanted a glass carafe. This does crack ice, blend my vegetables to make soup, and make drinks. I have had no problems with it and for a good basic blender, this does the job. It fits under my counter and easy to clean.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›