nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more

Color: BrownChange

on December 17, 2005
After several years of giving myself "buzz-cuts" I decided to go for a quality set of clippers. I had been using one of those kits which included all of the plastic guards etc. which fell in the $30 price range at Target. There is NO comparison. The Oster Classic 76 is the "Cadillac" of clippers. From the moment you turn them on, you can tell by the smoothness and power of the motor that you have stepped up to top quality clippers. They come with a [1] blade and a [000] blade. I purchased a [0000] which is great for real close shaves or fades. I'm confident these will last for years since I'm using them at home and not in a shop. I would definitely buy this brand again !
33 comments237 of 254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2007
As a fifteen year vet of the industry, I suppose I have the chops to weigh this pretty decent.

Pros-
Heavy- duty clipper...with proper care, this thing will outlast that car in your driveway...no kidding.
Mows through the thickest, toughest hair effortlessly.
Clipper blades are interchangeable...meaning...if you invest in the metal blades in different sizes, your cuts will be much more polished, fades look immaculate. If you can't do the metal blades, then there are plastic options. Keep in mind they won't cut nearly as clean, but nice for beginners.

Cons-
Heavy duty is great if you have the hand size and the wrist power to use it ALL DAY. I am a woman with small hands and I can't get my fingers all the way around it...thus it can be cumbersome after a while.
The noise...imagine an electric hedge trimmer....seriously. I still get remarks about it at work!
For beginning stylists...beware...it can get away from you fast. Peel and half peel are what it does best...it takes MUCH practice to fine tune your results.

Overall it is a solid piece of professional equipment. A true standard prized by barbers and stylists alike. Enjoy!
33 comments160 of 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2007
A professional grade clipper to last a lifetime.

If you're ready to step up from the cheap disposables most people try to get by with, the Classic 76 is worth considering. All of the parts are serviceable and replaceable meaning it will be around for a long time.

That said... these are huge clippers - and whether you can adjust to that or not, the size is still less than ideal. There are other models, from Oster and others, in this same price range that might be more appropriate for the average person.
0Comment124 of 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2012
Turned it on to test it. Cut great was happy. A week later went to use for an actual haircut and wouldn't turn on. NOTHING!!! Just past the return date to amazon so stuck with it. Really feel burned on this purchase.

Update: Wow really happy with amazon! Within 24 hours of leaving this review I received an email that they will refund the full amount. This was the first issue I had with an Amazon product and it is great they went out of their way without me having to call around. I was planning on calling Oster today but Amazon took care of my problem. Thank you Amazon!
33 comments83 of 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2007
I have thick hair, and have been cutting it myself, with store-bought clippers, for years. During a recent use, my clipper choked on the thick hair, and I decided to get a professional clipper, so I bought the Oster Classic 76.

What a difference! As you might expect based on the price, the Oster is in a class above when compared to the clipper kits you buy at the local Rite-Aid or WalMart. It's a quality appliance and seems to be well worth the extra expense for regular clipper users.

So, why 4 stars instead of 5? Two reasons. One, it doesn't come with the numbered plastic combs--you have to purchase them separately. Second, it's on the heavy side and it's a bit cumbersome to use compared to the lighter, cheaper models. I suppose that's the price you pay for quality.
22 comments87 of 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2011
These are the same type of clippers my barber has used on my head for years. I decided to save some money and do my own hair. I keep it one length so its easy to do myself. These clippers are a breeze. They cut smoothly and precisely. They cut as close as you want and the blade change is very easy to do, yet secure. I am a black guy and it cuts my hair perfectly. I have tried a few others but these are by far the best I have ever used.
on August 16, 2007
I love this hair clipper compare with other brands and models. It is powerful and the motor just keeps going and going. Only issue is this hair clipper is heavy and holding over 10 or 15 minutes your wrist will get tired.
11 comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2007
I got this product for my own use, so I cannot comment on how it may stand up to professional usage requirements. I needed a replacement for my old clipper which had stopped working about a year before. I had attempted to use a combination of other products to satisfy my needs without spending much cash, including using the trimmer attachment on my Norelco electric shaver as well as my Wahl 9877-500 Beard Trimmer. Both these products were being used beyond their performance specifications and they ended up being very inefficient. The Oster Classic 76, however, buzzed through everything with a minimum of effort. It performs better than any other trimmer I have used. The casing is solid and robust, although it may be heavier than you are used to. It is not exceedingly heavy, but more so than standard consumer trimmers. My old clipper had a problem with the cord being tangled and twisted (especially when other people used it who didn't care for it well), but the Oster Classic 76 does not have that problem and the cord is very sturdy. Blade removal and replacement is fast and easy, and cleaning is fairly straightforward. The two included blades (Size 000 and Size 1) cut to 0.5mm and 2.4mm, respectively. Make sure that these are the sizes you want to cut at, or you will end up ordering separate blades anyway. Overall, I consider this an excellent product and I look forward to continuing using it.
0Comment47 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2007
This clipper is everything that it promises to be and more. I have been using them now about 4 months. Normally my wife is the hair cutter. Her grip isn't as big as mine and has no problem with the weight or holding on to it. It is powerful and cuts clean. It comes with two different blades and they are really easy to interchange.

At the same time I purchase the Oster comb attachments for different styles and lengths. They work like a well matched piece of equiment and recommend those over the generic brand. They are a little more but its your hair and its worth it.

You can even cut your own hair with the tried and trued Classic 76 if no one around to cut it for you. Its really pretty easy. Just make sure you use the attachment combs. It is almost fool proof system (see next paragraph, if the shoe fits I wear it sometimes).

The one thing to watch for, as in my case, if cutting your own hair, after just finishing cutting my hair myself, my wife walks in and of course notices a mohawk line of hair right down the middle of the back of my head I missed. Thank goodness for wives!

Highly recommend. Spend the money! These clippers will last you a life time and pay you back over and over.
11 comment37 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2015
I like to cut my hair with the grain and keep it about at a 2 length
these clippers cannot do that, even with the guard combs I also ordered the "Oster Professional 10 Universal Comb Set"
Mind you, I bought these clippers brand new
these clippers are so weak that when I try to cut my hair with the grain it doesnt do much it pretty much just feels like you are brushing your hair the clippers. The only way it can cut my hair is if I go against the grain which does not look as good on me.
Even without the guards these clippers SUCK, like trying to low without the guards will leave a bunch of uneven hair spots.
Honestly you can get a better cut with some cheap walmart clippers take your pick on the brand.

I can take a picture of what I use, if you cant see I use the 0 blades that come with the clippers and the 1/16 guard combs because those are the only ones that can even touch my hair. and those do an awful job at cutting.

Only reason why I am giving these clippers a 1 star is because they are advertised as being able to cut through any type of hair, had I known that these clippers were not particularly good at cutting black hair I would not have wasted money on them.

Also, it should be noted that these clippers get hot VERY quickly.
review image
22 comments15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse