5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Clippers !
Published on December 17, 2005 by Super Dave

This is the first review I have written on Amazon, but I felt compelled to report my dissatisfaction with the Oster Classic 76 clippers and Oster's customer service.

Published on January 24, 2012 by LittleRhody

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Clippers !, December 17, 2005
This review is from: Oster 76076-010 Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper (Health and Beauty)
After several years of giving myself "buzz-cuts" I decided to go for a quality set of clippers. I had been using one of those kits which included all of the plastic guards etc. which fell in the $30 price range at Target. There is NO comparison. The Oster Classic 76 is the "Cadillac" of clippers. From the moment you turn them on, you can tell by the smoothness and power of the motor that you have stepped up to top quality clippers. They come with a [1] blade and a [000] blade. I purchased a [0000] which is great for real close shaves or fades. I'm confident these will last for years since I'm using them at home and not in a shop. I would definitely buy this brand again !

4.0 out of 5 stars Tired of cheap clippers? - this is what you need., November 25, 2007
J. Snavely "jellybiscuit" (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A professional grade clipper to last a lifetime.

If you're ready to step up from the cheap disposables most people try to get by with, the Classic 76 is worth considering. All of the parts are serviceable and replaceable meaning it will be around for a long time.

That said... these are huge clippers - and whether you can adjust to that or not, the size is still less than ideal. There are other models, from Oster and others, in this same price range that might be more appropriate for the average person.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cosmetologist approves!, December 31, 2007
As a fifteen year vet of the industry, I suppose I have the chops to weigh this pretty decent.

Pros-
Heavy- duty clipper...with proper care, this thing will outlast that car in your driveway...no kidding.
Mows through the thickest, toughest hair effortlessly.
Clipper blades are interchangeable...meaning...if you invest in the metal blades in different sizes, your cuts will be much more polished, fades look immaculate. If you can't do the metal blades, then there are plastic options. Keep in mind they won't cut nearly as clean, but nice for beginners.

Cons-
Heavy duty is great if you have the hand size and the wrist power to use it ALL DAY. I am a woman with small hands and I can't get my fingers all the way around it...thus it can be cumbersome after a while.
The noise...imagine an electric hedge trimmer....seriously. I still get remarks about it at work!
For beginning stylists...beware...it can get away from you fast. Peel and half peel are what it does best...it takes MUCH practice to fine tune your results.

Overall it is a solid piece of professional equipment. A true standard prized by barbers and stylists alike. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT quality, powerful clipper, July 10, 2007
Jonathan K. Perkins (Harbor City, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I have thick hair, and have been cutting it myself, with store-bought clippers, for years. During a recent use, my clipper choked on the thick hair, and I decided to get a professional clipper, so I bought the Oster Classic 76.

What a difference! As you might expect based on the price, the Oster is in a class above when compared to the clipper kits you buy at the local Rite-Aid or WalMart. It's a quality appliance and seems to be well worth the extra expense for regular clipper users.

So, why 4 stars instead of 5? Two reasons. One, it doesn't come with the numbered plastic combs--you have to purchase them separately. Second, it's on the heavy side and it's a bit cumbersome to use compared to the lighter, cheaper models. I suppose that's the price you pay for quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Clipper, April 22, 2007
This clipper is everything that it promises to be and more. I have been using them now about 4 months. Normally my wife is the hair cutter. Her grip isn't as big as mine and has no problem with the weight or holding on to it. It is powerful and cuts clean. It comes with two different blades and they are really easy to interchange.

At the same time I purchase the Oster comb attachments for different styles and lengths. They work like a well matched piece of equiment and recommend those over the generic brand. They are a little more but its your hair and its worth it.

You can even cut your own hair with the tried and trued Classic 76 if no one around to cut it for you. Its really pretty easy. Just make sure you use the attachment combs. It is almost fool proof system (see next paragraph, if the shoe fits I wear it sometimes).

The one thing to watch for, as in my case, if cutting your own hair, after just finishing cutting my hair myself, my wife walks in and of course notices a mohawk line of hair right down the middle of the back of my head I missed. Thank goodness for wives!

Highly recommend. Spend the money! These clippers will last you a life time and pay you back over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for top quality if you save $ by NOT going to the barber, December 31, 2007
Several years ago, I decided to start cutting my hair very short. I bought a cheap clipper made by GE at Walmart. I "thought" it did a good job until it broke and needed to get a new clipper. Since I save so much cutting my own hair, I decided to invest in a better clipper. I bought the Oster Classic 76 and I LOVE it. It cuts easily for a perfect cut. Often, as you may know, you do not know how good something is until you have something to compare it to. Some people have said it is heavy in other reviews, but I did not find that to be the case. (fyi...the individual blades are not cheap ($20-25 each) but think of it as an investment).

5.0 out of 5 stars clippers, July 31, 2007
i recently trashed my Remington clippers that I bought from Amazon, they worked for a short period of time, then totally quit. Made in China of course, wish Amazon would display where all of the products that they offer are manufactured, I have thrown away more made in China crap than I care to remember. These clippers show up the other day, heavy, which is good, soundly constructed, will more than likely work till I'm way past the need for them, and made in the USA. Kudos to Oster!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working at 13 months; Oster wants to charge $59.38 to repair it, January 24, 2012

I purchased the clippers on Amazon in December 2010 for $124.42. Now thirteen months later, in January 2012, the clippers have stopped working properly.The only way that the motor will turn on is if you hold the base of the cord near the plug at a crimped, 90-degree angle. My husband cuts his own hair and cannot hold the plug in this jury-rigged position to operate clippers. We have maintained the clippers carefully, and they have been used only 6-7 times since being purchased. We tried plugging the clippers into many outlets in our home, but the same issues occur at each outlet. The cord or plug is clearly defective.

I called Oster's customer service number just now (800-830-3678), and I left very frustrated. The woman on the phone had such a thick accent and poor English skills that I could barely understand what she was saying. The main points that I took from my phone call to Oster were: (1) the clippers are only warrantied for 12 months, (2) since it has been 13 months since my purchase, we are on the hook for the repair, (3) there are no authorized service centers within 100 miles of our home in Rhode Island, and (4) we'd need to send the clippers to Oster in Tennessee where the repair would cost $59.38. I asked the customer service representative if the fee would still be the same if Oster verified that the defect was in the manufacturing, and she said that it will be $59.38 no matter what.

We are totally dissatisfied and will not be buying any more Oster products, hair clippers or otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, April 10, 2007
I got this product for my own use, so I cannot comment on how it may stand up to professional usage requirements. I needed a replacement for my old clipper which had stopped working about a year before. I had attempted to use a combination of other products to satisfy my needs without spending much cash, including using the trimmer attachment on my Norelco electric shaver as well as my Wahl 9877-500 Beard Trimmer. Both these products were being used beyond their performance specifications and they ended up being very inefficient. The Oster Classic 76, however, buzzed through everything with a minimum of effort. It performs better than any other trimmer I have used. The casing is solid and robust, although it may be heavier than you are used to. It is not exceedingly heavy, but more so than standard consumer trimmers. My old clipper had a problem with the cord being tangled and twisted (especially when other people used it who didn't care for it well), but the Oster Classic 76 does not have that problem and the cord is very sturdy. Blade removal and replacement is fast and easy, and cleaning is fairly straightforward. The two included blades (Size 000 and Size 1) cut to 0.5mm and 2.4mm, respectively. Make sure that these are the sizes you want to cut at, or you will end up ordering separate blades anyway. Overall, I consider this an excellent product and I look forward to continuing using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, July 7, 2007
The clippers are a little heavy, but you can feel that they have a lot of power, and they cut perfectly. I highly recomend these over the $20 ones that you have to replace every year! great product!

ARRAY(0xa418ae4c)