5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I buy this sooner?
After using a wonderful hand-me-down Oster Lucky Dog clipper on my Australian Shephard/Lab mix (medium length hair, VERY thick coat), the clippers finally gave up and it was time to find another clipper. Since my dog has such a thick coat I did not want to purchase underpowered clippers and deal with the resulting frustration. I finally decided to take the plunge and...
Published on July 12, 2007 by AKP

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Frustrating Product
Ok, right out of the box this worked like a dream. After about the 10th use it would not cut very well. I bought a new blade for $30 and it worked about another 2 times. When I called Oster service they said my blades were dull. I checked these blades against new ones and they were both as sharp as new blades. Then oster service had me send it in for repair. This should...
Published on July 3, 2004 by B. Ogatiy

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR MINIATURE SCHNAUZERS !, February 24, 2008
This review is from: Oster 78005-010 Golden A5 Single-Speed Clippers (Misc.)
I have been clipping my two mini schnauzers with just a pair of scissors for years and pay $34 per dog at a grooming service in between haircuts. I tried Wahl clippers and they did absolutely nothing. It would take me a day to get them both trimmed with scissors but now only about two hours for both. I would recommend this product to anyone who wants to save time and money and wants their dog(s) looking great. Thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sporadically stops cutting, impossible to finish grooming dog, December 20, 2009
Golden A5 Clipper - Have experienced the problem others have noted. Has nothing to do with blades being sharp or oiled. Can reseat the blade and have it cut like butter for 20 seconds, then nothing. Blades still vibrating, no change in sound etc. Can reseat 10 times or more and MAYBE have it start cutting like butter again. Did note that the #10 blade worked fine, but also noticed that the #10 has 3 tines for every 2 tines on the #3 or #5 blades. Hence, it appears clear that the shuttle is somehow not traveling far enough to actually cut the hair with the #3 or #5 blades. Have had this product for about 3 years and use to trim 2 dogs.
Given the cost and inability to diagnose or fix this problem - I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS CLIPPER.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good for First Set of Clippers Ever Owned, June 27, 2008
Linda (Huntsville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster 78005-010 Golden A5 Single-Speed Clippers (Misc.)
After reading reviews on several different types of clippers and balancing the reviews with the price of the product, I decided to purchase the Oster Golden A5 clippers. I have 3 medium-sized dogs (a German Shepherd/collie mix, a black shepherd/lab mix, and a white lab mix...all rescues!), and I was going to have to pay at least $50 for each dog's summer haircut. So...for the $150 I'd spend at the groomer's, I decided to spend the same amount for my own clippers that I can use year after year. I also cut my long-haired cat's hair, saving myself even more in grooming fees.

Having never used any clippers before, I struggled a bit before finally learning to tilt the clippers at a certain angle. Once I learned that, it was soooooo easy! I will have to say, however, that these clippers are NOT quiet, although I can't compare them to any other brands. Even my long-haired cat, who is about 20 years old and nearly deaf, could hear the buzz! Every once in a while the clippers would stop cutting well and the dog hair would sort of tangle up in the blades, but I'd just blow on the blades and they would start working well again. The unit got a bit hot, but nothing as bad as what I had read about for other clippers. I was able to shave down all 3 dogs, plus my cat, in one evening.

Overall, I think these are good clippers and are worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Two Best, October 24, 2008
New England Yankee (Northern New England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster 78005-010 Golden A5 Single-Speed Clippers (Misc.)
The top-line Oster and top-line Andis clippers are the best, in my book. I actually prefer the Andis Andis Ultra Edge AGC Super 2 Speed Clipper because it has a more ergonomic shape, but the Oster is a terrific clipper. Both are rugged, reliable, and fully repairable. They take the same blades and accessories. You can't go wrong with this unless you have tiny hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars 16 years and going strong, March 27, 2011
Slim (Lincoln, NE USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster 78005-010 Golden A5 Single-Speed Clippers (Misc.)
I bought the Oster Golden A5 single-speed clippers when my miniature schnauzer was a puppy sixteen years ago, along with Kool-Lube and a book and video that showed how to groom a schnauzer. Sadly, my beloved little girl is gone now, but I groomed her every month or so with these clippers for 14-1/2 years. Can't say she enjoyed being groomed, but the clippers made it fairly quick and easy. I read and followed the instructions, always cleaned and lubed the blades between groomings, used an occasional shot of Kool-Lube during grooming, and greased the clippers about once a year. With that minimal care, the clippers were 100% reliable. I used three blades to groom her: #7F, #10, and #15. The #7F got a bit dull after about ten years, and I replaced it because I didn't want to wait three weeks for it to be sharpened. The blades would get warm to the touch, but only got hot enough to bother the dog if I kept one running more than ten minutes non-stop, which isn't usually necessary. If you need to run one blade longer than that, you might consider doing what the pros do: get a second blade so you can switch while one cools. Cost savings over "professional" grooming was huge during the course of her life, and it's quite easy if you just follow instructions. If we get another schnauzer, I fully expect these clippers to outlive him or her, too. Meanwhile, they work great on my own hair (what's left of it). I see in other reviews that some folks have had problems with their Oster Golden A5 clippers: overheating, "catches," and noise. Since that's not my experience at all, here are a few thoughts that may or may not help: 1) If the blade is what's getting hot, not the handle, make sure the blade is reassembled properly and very lightly oiled where the moving parts slide against each other. These parts vibrate back and forth against each other at high speed, so there's lots of friction to generate heat if they aren't lubed. 2) At the same time, don't overlube the blades, because the excess oil will cause them to catch in the animal's hair. I put one small drop of oil on the flat surface where the two blade pieces slide back and forth, and wiped that around with my finger, trying to keep it out of the "teeth." I put another drop between the spring and the moving part of the blade (on that little plastic piece that's supposed to reduce friction). 3) Don't forget to use an occasional shot of Kool-Lube while grooming to cool the blade. 4) When you switch blades, be sure the drive lever on the unit properly engages the blade. It's possible to snap on the blade without properly engaging the lever, which causes unusual noise, and would probably generate heat if you didn't reinstall it correctly. 5) Finally, realize that the blades will get dull eventually. These are the same blades used by pros, and they get them sharpened frequently, so they can tell you who sharpens blades in your area. You can also find sharpeners online and mail your blades to them. These blades require special equipment to sharpen properly, so don't try it yourself (ask me how I know). I only experienced uncomfortable heat if I ran one blade more than ten minutes without a break, didn't use Kool-Lube, or didn't clean and lube the blade. I only experienced unusual noise if I didn't put the blade on correctly. And, I only experienced "catches" if I overlubed the blades or they were dull. YMMV Good luck with yours.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't work at all!?!?!!?, January 14, 2011
L. Young "lhysnow" (Mesa, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster 78005-010 Golden A5 Single-Speed Clippers (Misc.)
Loved the reviews, took the out of box, they don't cut anything!! not anything! not even the short, unmatted hair! What could the problem be?!?! I am SO frustrated!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars why should I have to repair a new pair of clippers?, June 17, 2009
Ditto...
We clip our dogs once a year, but, I wanted to be able to do so as I have time. These worked well out of the box, but, since they ran a little hot I'd just clip our dogs half way and give them/me a rest.
We have fairly big dogs that have thick double coats so I knew I needed a good pair of clippers. So, $150 or so with shipping later they worked great the first time. I lent them to our friends who have a lab mix and they worked for them. I tried them this year and they cut about 3" and stop. I always keep them oiled and cleaned. Took apart, blew them off, brushed them off and now they don't work?
Now I have to start working on what/how to fix these?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for really thick fur, December 6, 2008
This review is from: Oster 78005-010 Golden A5 Single-Speed Clippers (Misc.)
We own an aussie/shepard mix whose fur is extremely thick. A previous prof.clipper would take me hours and eventually burned out after a year. When I read that someone posted this cuts through fur like a hot knife cutting butter I had to try it. Well let me tell you this thing is POWERFUL!! In fact I was not expecting it to work that well and ended up taking my dogs coat down to a buzz by accident with the first pass!! Anyway, I evened her up and was done within an hour. I might look into another size blade for a longer cut. Found the device to be easy to handle, not too heavy or loud. Did not overheat. Highly recommend, worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, February 20, 2009
Rob Dawg (The Second Happiest Place in the World--NorCal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster 78005-010 Golden A5 Single-Speed Clippers (Misc.)
I'm extremely glad I finally took the plunge on the price of a better quality product. My mini schnauzer and I are much happier--the clippers glide through her hair with minimal strokes; although a little chunky to hold, they're still quite easy to manuever; it's much quieter with less vibration and heat than my cheapy old pairs (yes pairs-[knock] I should've had an a-5!); most importantly, my pup looks gorgeous!

2.0 out of 5 stars less than a year old and won't cut, January 12, 2007
I bought the Oster Golden A5 for my standard poodle. I groom him about once every 6 weeks. I have always bathed and dried him first. But, after less than a year, the clippers just stopped cutting. I took the blade apart-nothing there. I lubricated. I lubricate before every cut and use Kool Lube all through the process. The clippers turn on, the blades go back and forth, but they don't cut. I went to Petco and talked to their groomer, thinking I needed a new blade. The groomer advised me she uses Oster A5 Turbo, and has had the same problem.There is a part inside- she told me the name but I forget it. She said it was a $5 part, but that I would have to get it from someone who services clippers. I can't beleieve I paid $140 bucks for clippers that have been used less than 10 times, and they need a part already. So, now I'm looking for someone who services blades, so I can get this frikken part. I always thought Oster was supposed to be the cadillac of clippers.... NOT.

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›