5.0 out of 5 stars Big, fast and dependable
Published on July 8, 2011 by Zacharias

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: DOWNGRADED TO ONE STAR
UPDATE: 7/1/2014 GUESS WHAT? GOT ZERO RESPONSE FROM OSTER AFTER SENDING NUMEROUS REQUESTS FOR HELP FOR BROKEN TOP, AND AFTER POSTING 1 STAR REVIEW ON THEIR SITE... SURPISE! THEY DELETED THE 1-STAR REVIEW. NO SURPRISE. HAVE DECIDED TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER BRAND SHAVING BLENDER FROM A COMPANY THAT CARES ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS AFTER THEY GOT THE SALE.

UPDATE: 6/6/2014...
Published 18 months ago by JKayPm

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, fast and dependable, July 8, 2011
Zacharias (Lubbock, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oster BLSTET-C Ice Shaving Blender, Brushed Nickel (Kitchen)
This blender is a piece of work. I have had three others in the last six month that died on me. I use blenders mainly for crushing ice for margaritas and smoothies. I can make a full pitcher of crushed ice in under a minute. Its easy to use and clean. The only other blender I would compare this based on price and quality would be the Ninja. However the Ninja doesn't crush the ice as fine as you would want in a drink. There are different blades you can get for the Ninja but I honestly don't want to mess with a kitchen appliance. I want it to be there and ready when I need it and Oster delivered on that need.

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: DOWNGRADED TO ONE STAR, January 3, 2013

UPDATE: 6/6/2014 STILL NO RESPONSE FROM OSTER, LEFT A ONE STAR REVIEW ON THEIR SITE, MAYBE THAT WILL GET THEM TO RESPOND.

UPDATE: 3/3/2014 DOWNGRADED TO ONE STAR (used to be 5 stars)

SUMMARY: The blender is totally unusable. It broke about 10 months ago but Oster has not respond to even one of my numerous help requests.

Ok, so I WOULD still love this blender except that I've gone to Oster's site more than 3x to ask for help because the machine broke. After sucessfully shaving ice, I put some frozen strawberry's in (for the 100th time) and it just stopped. I could see one strawberry stuck in the blade so I think it simply bent it because it will no longer work at all, meaning everything gets stuck in the blade as soon as it starts turning, no matter what I try to shave. I'm hoping a conscientious Oster employee will see this and answer how can this be fixed. All I asked them is how can I replace the blade, where to buy. No response at all!

*******************************

ORIGINAL REVIEW JANUARY 3, 2013
5 Stars - LOVE THIS ICE CRUSHER & BLENDER - MAKES SNOW
I LOVE this ice crusher, after using it daily for over 8 months. I can put up to 3 ice cube trays in the top ice holder and then just press one button and it automatically crushes the ice like snow. Like snow? Yes, it crushes the ice like snow. I don't have to let the ice tray sit out before I use it, I simply take it out of the freezer and dump it into the top container. If you use 3 ice cube trays it will make more snow than the pitcher can hold, so I usually have an extra container that I use and even put that in the freezer for later. When I want crushed ice (not snow) I just put the cubes in the blender and turn it on and get a great batch of crushed ice. For plain crushed ice, I can put about 8-10 cubes in the pitcher, turn it on, and it does a great job. One great feature is that you crush the ice to snow right into the blender, then just add the drink ingredients into the pitcher and blend it. Sometimes I simply add a few cubes and hold my glass by the spout to catch the ice when I just want a single serving. I usually make thick iced coffee with shaved ice and now when family and friends come over, they bring the ingredients and ask me to make their favorite drink blended with the crushed ice/snow. There are 2 "problems" that I had but I would still buy this and, in fact, I'm planning on getting another one as backup in case I break it: First, the little flip lid is plastic and broke off after a couple of months and, Second, not a big deal to me, the pour is sometimes messy; they need to improve the design because it often runs down the outside of the pitcher.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product, breaks down quickly, December 14, 2011
I have now gone through two of these. The first one broke in < 24 hours and Amazon was great about getting a new one shipped and taking the old one back. The new one worked for about 10 days before breaking the same way as the first (something in the coupling drive between the motor and the part that moves the ice over the fixed blade). I had to go traveling for work right after and the return period has expired so I guess I'm eating the cost of this, but given that two in a row failed the same way in < 2 weeks there might be a batch defect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Blender, December 23, 2011
This is by far the best blender I have ever owned. Actually, I love mine so much I have purchased a second one for my parents. The ice shaving function works perfectly and shaves the ice to a fine snow-like consistency. Switching the ice shaver out with the blender jar is a super easy process allowing you to go from Auto-shave to Auto-blend within seconds making the preparation of a perfectly textured drink a seamless and simple process. We use this blender everyday for everything from simply crushing ice for our beverages to milk shakes, frappuccinos, protein drinks, salad dressings, sauces, salsas and more.

Truly, this is no ordinary blender, it is a fine piece of machinery that looks beautiful sitting on your counter top. Comparing this item to any other blender would be like comparing a cheaper model handheld mixer to a professional model Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer.. there is just no comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for Daiquiris, Pina Coladas, Margaritas!!!, December 11, 2011
Bekk "Bekk" (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
I got this wonderful blender for my birthday and you can't go wrong for parties! Everyone loved, loved, loved their fruity drinks. Looks like I'll be having a few Margarita parties this year! I bought this blender in a lightning deal and I'm so happy I purchased it. The kids are also going to enjoy all the summer Snow Cones (Raspas)! Do yourself a favor and buy this machine at half the cost of those other $200 plus Margarita machines!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ice Shaver!, April 24, 2012
Rebecca R. Wake (Knoxville, Tennessee) - See all my reviews
Firstly I have to comment on the negative reviews, specifically the people saying it "doesn't blend". There are several components; all of which need to be attached to the one below and LOCKED into place properly. It's easy to think you've done it right but you need to use a bit of force to get them to all snap into place. This is a good thing!! It means the blender isn't going to fly apart and smash you in the head!

The blender's controls are simple and functional. It's a beautiful looking machine and works perfectly fine if you read the instructions and clip it together properly. I would most certainly choose this over a cheap plastic ice shaver; it is sturdy, multi-functional and aesthetically pleasing. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Cone Heaven, April 24, 2013
I purchased this machine just for the ice shaving function and it has been a rock star (I haven't used the blender yet) We get temps well over 100 during the summer and this is sure to be a big hit. I am able to use the ice right out of my freezer, no waiting for those special cups to freeze.

The first night we got it I was able to unpack it, give it a quick wash, assemble and within 10 minutes my entire family (2 adults, 3 kids) were enjoying delicious snow cones that were every bit as good as the ones we buy from the beach vendors.

This is a much better alternative to those cheep plastic ice shavers you can buy at the store.

Easy to use, but is a little bulky and a little noisy but I think it is worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Ice Shaver!, February 18, 2014
I got this for a gift exchange where my sister-in-law was the recipient so from her interaction with this blender, she loves it! We were able to see it in action after Christmas and it shaves ice like a champ. For those of you who may be interested in this as compared to the Margaritaville shaver and drink maker it really can make drinks about as equally nice. The big difference is of course, that the Margaritaville machine has the ice shaver and blender together whereas this machine requires you to remove the shaver to blend together your drinks.

As the main use will be for this machine is to make shaved ice drinks, it definitely performs splendidly. I feel that is is pretty equal in consistency to a Margaritaville machine, but at a fraction of the cost. If you are considering a Margaritaville machine, I would highly suggest this to save some money.

We did try using the machine as a blender for a fruit smoothie and it was adequate but not anything especially amazing. The fruit was pureed but still a little "grainy" and not completely smooth. Really where this shines is in its ice shaving abilities.

Break down of rating:

Blender - 3 stars
Ice Shaver - 5 stars
Build Quality - 4 stars
Overall - 4 stars

2.0 out of 5 stars Struggles To Blend Anything, January 4, 2012
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but once I put all my ingredients in and hit "auto-blend", the blade spins but nothing blends. I've tried manually blending it, different ingredients, more/less liquid, and still it struggles. It takes about 5-6 cycles until it finally starts to blend the ingredients, and even then I have to shake it around to get it blending. Other blenders I have had worked just fine with the same ingredients.

The ice shaver works well, although even for a small amount of ice it takes 2-3 cycles on "auto-shave" until all the ice is shaved. Overall, I'm very disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars don't plan on using it for anything but shaved ice, April 24, 2012
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my husband who likes to make frappuccinos. It comes with two "blenders"- one shaves ice into the smaller blender that actually does the blending. The one that shaves ice does so quite well. However, the one that blends has the dullest blade of any blender I've ever used. If the item you are blending only requires the shaved ice to blend, you're good. However, if you have anything remotely more thick than shaved ice, forget it. Also, if you take the blender apart to clean it, it takes a LOT of trial and error to fit it back on correctly. The rubber gasket bunches up and causes leaks. After the third leak, we figured out how it was occurring, but it takes nearly 10 minutes after each cleaning to be certain the glass pitcher has screwed back onto the base properly without affecting the rubber gasket. It also takes up a large amount of counter space as it is essentially two blenders and the base.

The bottom line: buy ONLY to make shaved ice! Do not plan on blending anything.

*******UPDATE: I upgraded this item from 2 stars to 3 stars, simply based on Oster's customer service. I let them know about the leaky blender and though they were out of stock on that part, they said they would send me a brand new blender! That was quite surprising. I still stand by not using the blender for more than crushed ice, but should that be your main purpose, you will be comforted to know how outstanding the customer service is should you have an issue.

Oster BLSTET-C Ice Shaving Blender, Brushed Nickel