Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on May 15, 2015
All the people complaining about this blender breaking, overheating, or not being for everyday use are using it wrong. I bought one of these in 2013, use it 5 times a week, and it still works great. Here's the thing that most people don't realize:

It has a small engine. While it's fairly loud, it is quieter (and weaker) then most full size blenders. It blends ice and fresh/frozen fruit and veggies very well, but needs enough liquid to do it correctly. And by correctly, I mean in 30 seconds or so. If you're holding the thing down for more than a minute or two, it is at risk for overheating (although mine never has).

Here's what I do: Fill the bottle up 50-60% with milk/water/juice, fill the rest with fruit/powder/peanut butter, blend for 10-15 seconds, take the bottle off and shake to mix (not necessary, but it makes the process quicker and helps you decide if you need to add more liquid), then blend for another 10 seconds. It will not make super thick smoothies that you have to eat with a spoon. If it doesn't seem like it's blending, add more liquid!

I only have 2 small problems with this blender. One is the terribly designed lid, which I've solved by using a straw. The other is that the bottle won't clean properly in the dishwasher (water doesn't reach all the way up), so I bought a bottle brush and clean it manually.

**2016 Edit: I've had this thing for 3 years now, still use it 5 times a week, and it still works great!
33 comments|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2011
I like to make protein smoothies in the morning for a quick breakfast. I thought this blender would be perfect for blending on the go and since the price was so reasonable I gave it a try. The blender blends very well. I typically use frozen fruit in my smoothies and it blended them without a problem. My only issue with the blender and the one thing that stopped me from giving it 5 starts is the lid that comes with the cup. The lid has a very poor design. It is very wide at the top and the way the opening on the lid is lined up, liquid pools on the top and drips down on the back side of the cup. If it came with a better lid, this would be a 5 star product. Oster needs to rethink the lid design.
3838 comments|564 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Color: Orange|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a Vitamix and love it, but I was eager to try the Oster BLSTPB-WOR My Blend 250-Watt Blender in Orange, to see if it could streamline my AM blended mocha. My toddler is freaked out in the early morning by the crazy loud noise our very powerful Vitamix makes, so I was hoping this would be quieter. It is quieter, but I do have to blend longer -- it is a fair trade off though since it doesn't make my daughter cry. Considering my Vitamix was $300+ and this is almost 10% of that, I was not expecting to get the same blend results, but I was very pleased with how the Oster performed considering its low price and plastic parts. I was amused that the neon summer colors offered match the candy colored MacBooks of the early double 00's, reminded me of college days :)

Things I really like about this blender:
- It is cheap! I like that this is under $40 and works amazingly well as long as you add crushed ice from a fridge ice dispenser and not the giant half moon cubes. If you do add whole cubes, it works best to add a little more liquid than normal and give the bottle a shake mid blend.
- It has a small footprint and is light weight, this would be great for a tiny kitchen, RV or someone with limited mobility who can't lift a large glass jar on a full size blender. You do have to twist the bottle to activate the blades, but it was easy to do with little resistance.
- This would be a great gift for the health nut in your life. I make blended coffee drinks in mine, but my body-builder cousin would love this for his protein shakes.
- It is perfect for a dorm room, the bright colors insure there is probably a shade any 19 year old could like. I would have loved one of these in college, I would have told my parents it was for smoothies, and then enjoyed margaritas on the weekends ;D
- As a new mom with a little toddler, I really do like blending my mocha in the same cup I drink from to save on time and dirty dishes. After a quick rinse, I use it to keep ice water handy throughout the day; 4-5 of these means I am well hydrated.

Things I wish were better:
- I wish the container were a half inch winder and an inch shorter. This would allow ice to blend easier and a standard straw would be compatible with this sports cup, as it is now a straw slips down just below the lip of the sip hole so you have to take the lid off to fish it out. Get a long straw if you want to use one with this.
- Better bottle calibrations. It only has a mark for 20 oz., which is the fill line. I would have loved a calibrated side to get proper smoothie ratios right in the cup, it would have saved getting out measuring cups. I may do it myself with an orange Sharpie.
- A better lid. The current flip cap has just a weak tension closure with no rubber gasket around the sip hole, this means it is just plastic clicking lightly into other plastic with no seal at all. I filled it will water and knocked it over on the counter and the cap came open immediately and spilled water out. You could not stash this in a gym bag for later without coating the inside with smoothie. It is best to treat this container like a lidded coffee mug and not a sports bottle. It would be great if the lid had a small rubber gasket around the sip hole and a simple tension latch to keep the lid closed enough to survive being knocked over.
- The colors offered. I was given the orange model free of charge to try and review, so my complaint here is not about what I received but what I see being offered. It would be wonderful if this was available in all black or all white with a clear bottle. I liked this blender enough to see if they had it in white to get my mother for her RV, but she would hate all the day glow colors so I will pass. Too bad, it would have made a nice Mother's Day gift!

Tips for better results:
1) Add your ingredients in reverse of a regular blender, for smoothest blending add in order: liquid, fruit, powder, then ice last. This makes sure the ice gets to the blades straight away and powder mix ins don't stick to the bottom/top.
2) Keep ingredients a little below the fill line. The narrow shape of the bottle means the ice needs a bit more room than recommended to properly grind and blend.
3) If you are trying to make a really thick smoothie and the stuff just isn't moving around enough, alternate between blending for a few seconds and then disengaging the bottle from the base and give it a good shake to help mix the ingredients. This will blend the drink to a surprisingly smooth texture and shaves time off getting it there. It is easy to do this and beats making the baby cry :)

I can recommend this product for blended drinks. I would not attempt anything else with this blender; I'd leave salsa, nut butters, granitas, soups and such jobs to a full size blender. I do not own a magic bullet, so I cannot compare it to that.

GRADE: B
44 comments|438 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2014
I bought this at ACE Hardware because I was spending too much money at coffee shops. And it has definitely saved me a lot of money! It crashes into iced products like a hot knife through butter! I use mine every morning for my breakfast Frappuccino!

8 ice cubes
1 banana
4 teaspoons fat free/sugar free instant coffee mix
1/4 cup Carbmaster milk
1 sugar free pudding cup

And I have the most amazing drink!!!
The only complaint I have was sheer user error. I was having a hard time lining up the arrows so that it would mix. Was trying to force it too much.

I am really pleased with this product!
review image
22 comments|120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2015
I bought this item twice, I don't really know why I felt the second purchase would be better. This blender is wonderful, until the mechanism that makes the blades spin starts to smoke and wears down to the point it will not make enough contact to spin the blade.
review image
1414 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2015
Just got mine today!! I made a smoothie out of Frozen strawberries, half a frozen banana, milk, yogurt, Greek kale and frozen pineapples! No ice needed! Yummmm
on March 30, 2011
I love my Oster personal blender!!! I have had the Magic Bullet for a few years and my mom thought the new Oster would be just like that so she thought it was pointless to buy. I ignored her and got it anyways and we love it! The Magic Bullet makes personal size smoothies, but it is far more expensive (although it does other things, too) and it's cups are just that--cups. They have no lid so you really can't take your smoothie with you unless you put it in another bottle. This is why I got the oster. You just blend, put the lid on, and go! It's great for drinking on the way to school or work and it is so fast to make! The longest part of the process is peeling any fruit you want to put in it, but if you use frozen fruit or fruit that does not need to be peeled, or you aren't making a fruit smoothie, it is quite fast! It can make frozen coffee drinks, smoothies, milkshakes, etc. IT is fantastic! The only thing I need now is for someone to sell extra bottles for it. Right now we only have one so only one person can have a smoothie. Generally I am the only one who drinks them daily, but sometimes my mom or sister will want one, too. If anyone knows where you can get more bottles, let me know!
2020 comments|224 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 14, 2011
Color: Orange|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using the Tribest Single Serving Blender/Grinderfor years and I love it. So, when I saw this item I thought this would be a great cheaper alternative and would be easier to use because of the drinking lid. The Tribest has a drinking lid the but the whole is small making it difficult to drink anything that still has chunks in it.

First off, I'm a huge fan of orange, so anything orange I love it!

Second, I love the way the components fit together so neatly for storage.

Finally, I got to try it and it did not live up to my expectations.

Trial 1 was simply to fill the blender cup full of ice, a small cup of yogurt and 3 strawberries. I thought this stuff would never blend. And to be honest, it never did completely. After it blended about halfway, I added a cup of milk to get it to blend further.

Trial 2 - after emptying out failure #1, I thought I'd go a little easier on it. I filled it only halfway with ice, followed by a packet of instant breakfast and topping it off (to the 20oz mark, which I first had to find then put my finger on it so I could still see it while filling) with milk. This time around it did blend much better/ faster. But, I still ended up drinking it with a straw instead of directly through the lid.

1. Instructions say do not fill past 20oz line. The problem is that the measurement markings are very difficult to see and even more difficult once the cup starts to frost after you've put ice in it.

2. The blender really isn't all the powerful. It took more than twice as long to blend an iced coffee as the Tribest and even then I wasn't really sure it was completely blended.

3. The drinking lid doesn't work well. I ended up putting a straw through the hole instead. While the hole is large enough to allow even some chunks to come through (great if you are doing a fruit smoothie), the lip of the lid is so long, that combined with the size of the opening you are likely to get hit in the face with your drink. The drink would get "stuck" (due to air bubbles or whatnot) and then when it would finally decide to come out through the hole it would do so in such a rush that it would end up covering my face.

If this is the first personal blender you've ever used, you may love it. Even if you are comparing to other entry level personal blenders you may love it (as per other reviews). Unfortunately, for me, I started at the top and this is like a huge step backwards.
review image review image
44 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2015
I love the idea of it, but the actual part that sits on the bottom (motor with blades) doesn't work very well after a few times, and shuts off constantly if it has some frozen fruit, ice, etc. When I looked to see what was wrong, the grooves were compromised, so you have to hold it while spinning to keep it from stopping. this is my SECOND one of these....the first one LEAKED every time I used it (all over under the part with the blades.) they need to make a stronger bottom, or a better motor! Wish someone could fix this because I love it and use it every day in SPITE of these problems.....and having TWO of them as well. Crazy!
on September 12, 2015
Blends great, a bit noisy for its size. However the point of contact that causes the blades to spin (on the base itself) is plastic and will destroy itself making it unusable since it will no longer spin the blades in the bottle. This should have been made out of something much more sturdy.

I bought this a second time just for some reason, probably because I have 8 blender bottles and I don't want them to go to waste... Well the second machine lasted until 10/13/15 when the warranty ran out on 10/10/15... AWESOME! This is almost exactly how long the first one lasted as well...

Avoid at all costs!