1,029 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little smoothie maker for one
Published on April 27, 2011 by Natasha Stryker

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Blender but...
Published on May 24, 2011 by Tanya R.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Blender but..., May 24, 2011
I like to make protein smoothies in the morning for a quick breakfast. I thought this blender would be perfect for blending on the go and since the price was so reasonable I gave it a try. The blender blends very well. I typically use frozen fruit in my smoothies and it blended them without a problem. My only issue with the blender and the one thing that stopped me from giving it 5 starts is the lid that comes with the cup. The lid has a very poor design. It is very wide at the top and the way the opening on the lid is lined up, liquid pools on the top and drips down on the back side of the cup. If it came with a better lid, this would be a 5 star product. Oster needs to rethink the lid design.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little smoothie maker for one, April 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a Vitamix and love it, but I was eager to try the Oster BLSTPB-WOR My Blend 250-Watt Blender in Orange, to see if it could streamline my AM blended mocha. My toddler is freaked out in the early morning by the crazy loud noise our very powerful Vitamix makes, so I was hoping this would be quieter. It is quieter, but I do have to blend longer -- it is a fair trade off though since it doesn't make my daughter cry. Considering my Vitamix was $300+ and this is almost 10% of that, I was not expecting to get the same blend results, but I was very pleased with how the Oster performed considering its low price and plastic parts. I was amused that the neon summer colors offered match the candy colored MacBooks of the early double 00's, reminded me of college days :)

Things I really like about this blender:
- It is cheap! I like that this is under $40 and works amazingly well as long as you add crushed ice from a fridge ice dispenser and not the giant half moon cubes. If you do add whole cubes, it works best to add a little more liquid than normal and give the bottle a shake mid blend.
- It has a small footprint and is light weight, this would be great for a tiny kitchen, RV or someone with limited mobility who can't lift a large glass jar on a full size blender. You do have to twist the bottle to activate the blades, but it was easy to do with little resistance.
- This would be a great gift for the health nut in your life. I make blended coffee drinks in mine, but my body-builder cousin would love this for his protein shakes.
- It is perfect for a dorm room, the bright colors insure there is probably a shade any 19 year old could like. I would have loved one of these in college, I would have told my parents it was for smoothies, and then enjoyed margaritas on the weekends ;D
- As a new mom with a little toddler, I really do like blending my mocha in the same cup I drink from to save on time and dirty dishes. After a quick rinse, I use it to keep ice water handy throughout the day; 4-5 of these means I am well hydrated.

Things I wish were better:
- I wish the container were a half inch winder and an inch shorter. This would allow ice to blend easier and a standard straw would be compatible with this sports cup, as it is now a straw slips down just below the lip of the sip hole so you have to take the lid off to fish it out. Get a long straw if you want to use one with this.
- Better bottle calibrations. It only has a mark for 20 oz., which is the fill line. I would have loved a calibrated side to get proper smoothie ratios right in the cup, it would have saved getting out measuring cups. I may do it myself with an orange Sharpie.
- A better lid. The current flip cap has just a weak tension closure with no rubber gasket around the sip hole, this means it is just plastic clicking lightly into other plastic with no seal at all. I filled it will water and knocked it over on the counter and the cap came open immediately and spilled water out. You could not stash this in a gym bag for later without coating the inside with smoothie. It is best to treat this container like a lidded coffee mug and not a sports bottle. It would be great if the lid had a small rubber gasket around the sip hole and a simple tension latch to keep the lid closed enough to survive being knocked over.
- The colors offered. I was given the orange model free of charge to try and review, so my complaint here is not about what I received but what I see being offered. It would be wonderful if this was available in all black or all white with a clear bottle. I liked this blender enough to see if they had it in white to get my mother for her RV, but she would hate all the day glow colors so I will pass. Too bad, it would have made a nice Mother's Day gift!

Tips for better results:
1) Add your ingredients in reverse of a regular blender, for smoothest blending add in order: liquid, fruit, powder, then ice last. This makes sure the ice gets to the blades straight away and powder mix ins don't stick to the bottom/top.
2) Keep ingredients a little below the fill line. The narrow shape of the bottle means the ice needs a bit more room than recommended to properly grind and blend.
3) If you are trying to make a really thick smoothie and the stuff just isn't moving around enough, alternate between blending for a few seconds and then disengaging the bottle from the base and give it a good shake to help mix the ingredients. This will blend the drink to a surprisingly smooth texture and shaves time off getting it there. It is easy to do this and beats making the baby cry :)

I can recommend this product for blended drinks. I would not attempt anything else with this blender; I'd leave salsa, nut butters, granitas, soups and such jobs to a full size blender. I do not own a magic bullet, so I cannot compare it to that.

GRADE: B

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, March 30, 2011
I love my Oster personal blender!!! I have had the Magic Bullet for a few years and my mom thought the new Oster would be just like that so she thought it was pointless to buy. I ignored her and got it anyways and we love it! The Magic Bullet makes personal size smoothies, but it is far more expensive (although it does other things, too) and it's cups are just that--cups. They have no lid so you really can't take your smoothie with you unless you put it in another bottle. This is why I got the oster. You just blend, put the lid on, and go! It's great for drinking on the way to school or work and it is so fast to make! The longest part of the process is peeling any fruit you want to put in it, but if you use frozen fruit or fruit that does not need to be peeled, or you aren't making a fruit smoothie, it is quite fast! It can make frozen coffee drinks, smoothies, milkshakes, etc. IT is fantastic! The only thing I need now is for someone to sell extra bottles for it. Right now we only have one so only one person can have a smoothie. Generally I am the only one who drinks them daily, but sometimes my mom or sister will want one, too. If anyone knows where you can get more bottles, let me know!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Powerful, April 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had purchased the Hamilton Beach 51101B personal blender because I wanted to use it strictly for making smoothies at work. I soon realized that it was terrible at crushing ice and was worthless for smoothies. I had to put one ice cube in at a time to get it to do anything. Not so with the Oster. I decided to test it's true potential by throwing a full load of ice in at one time (6 cubes), and while it wasn't as powerful as my KitchenAid blender, it handled them well. Once it got going I only had to let it run for about 30 seconds before all the ice was crushed. I used it to make this recipe for an Orange Julius.

Original Orange Julius
1/3 C. orange juice concentrate
1/2 C. water
1/2 C. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
5 or 6 ice cubes

I suspect that it could easily handle a double recipe. The jar could probably hold close to 15 or 20 cubes.

The smoothie was completely blended with no large ice chunks. When I tried the same thing in the Hamilton Beach, it had a rough time with the ice cubes. One thing I like about the Oster blender is that you load it "upside down" so that the metal blades can be removed at the end and replaced with the drinking cap. No leaks while blending, even though the jar was upside down on the base, so it has a good seal. The Hamilton Beach was loaded from the top and so the blades had to stay in the cup with the beverage, which I was always a little leery about. Metal rusts, and I don't always rush to clean out the cup right away. So I can see the blades eventually rusting in that style, which won't be a problem with the Oster. The Oster was fairly quiet, probably more so than my KitchenAid, which is understandable as the motor is smaller. I like the cup and it's nice to be able to purchase additional cups. Everything was easy to set up and easy to clean. It's small enough to fit in a desk drawer.

Overall, a great product. I think the drinking/sport cap is a little big, but other than that I love it. Worth the money if you make smoothies every day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Easily one of the worst designed products I've ever bought!, October 16, 2012
This review is from: Oster BLSTPB-WBL My Blend 250-Watt Blender with Travel Sport Bottle, Light Powder Blue (Kitchen)
Please don't make a mistake and buy this blender!

Don't get me wrong. I started out loving this blender. But after about a month I discovered the poor design. What you will soon find out is that this blender is designed to wear out VERY quickly. The blender uses cogs on the blender itself which mesh with a cog on the bottle. Both are made out of soft plastic (or nylon maybe). After a month, the blender began to stop turning the blades in the bottle. I discovered that the cog on the bottle (which connects to the blades in the bottle) had worn down to nothing! So I bought another bottle (which came with it's own blades and new cog on the bottle). About a day or 2 later, the blender stopped turning the blades again. This time it was the cog on the blender itself (which cannot be practically replaced). That cog had also worn down to nothing. So now I have a paper weight instead of a blender. I would never go back and buy it again.

For those giving positive reviews, let them use it for about a month or two and see if they are still happy with their paper weight.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, Poor follow through, May 14, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using the Tribest Single Serving Blender/Grinderfor years and I love it. So, when I saw this item I thought this would be a great cheaper alternative and would be easier to use because of the drinking lid. The Tribest has a drinking lid the but the whole is small making it difficult to drink anything that still has chunks in it.

First off, I'm a huge fan of orange, so anything orange I love it!

Second, I love the way the components fit together so neatly for storage.

Finally, I got to try it and it did not live up to my expectations.

Trial 1 was simply to fill the blender cup full of ice, a small cup of yogurt and 3 strawberries. I thought this stuff would never blend. And to be honest, it never did completely. After it blended about halfway, I added a cup of milk to get it to blend further.

Trial 2 - after emptying out failure #1, I thought I'd go a little easier on it. I filled it only halfway with ice, followed by a packet of instant breakfast and topping it off (to the 20oz mark, which I first had to find then put my finger on it so I could still see it while filling) with milk. This time around it did blend much better/ faster. But, I still ended up drinking it with a straw instead of directly through the lid.

1. Instructions say do not fill past 20oz line. The problem is that the measurement markings are very difficult to see and even more difficult once the cup starts to frost after you've put ice in it.

2. The blender really isn't all the powerful. It took more than twice as long to blend an iced coffee as the Tribest and even then I wasn't really sure it was completely blended.

3. The drinking lid doesn't work well. I ended up putting a straw through the hole instead. While the hole is large enough to allow even some chunks to come through (great if you are doing a fruit smoothie), the lip of the lid is so long, that combined with the size of the opening you are likely to get hit in the face with your drink. The drink would get "stuck" (due to air bubbles or whatnot) and then when it would finally decide to come out through the hole it would do so in such a rush that it would end up covering my face.

If this is the first personal blender you've ever used, you may love it. Even if you are comparing to other entry level personal blenders you may love it (as per other reviews). Unfortunately, for me, I started at the top and this is like a huge step backwards.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible! Waste of money, April 19, 2012
I should have listened to the other reviews. This blender is terrible. I used it about 5 times before the motor overheated. It's a great concept, but the execution is horrible. You have to continuously stop blending to mix up the ingredients so things actually get blended. The lid is terrible and leaks everywhere while pooling liquid in the top. The motor stops running after 10 seconds of blending. Don't waste your money!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this excellent little blender!, May 18, 2011
After reading the reviews on here about leaking, I was very cautious about purchasing this item. I have set it up and used it three times so far, and I have not had any problem with the lid or the piece that houses the blades, even after running the pieces through the dishwasher. I do make sure that the pieces are screwed together tightly, but I do this with most anything as a precaution anyway, and I do not screw it on so tight that I have issue getting it apart (I don't always have the best grip or strength in my hands).

I find that sometimes when making a smoothie that has gloppy, chunky, or sticky items (like thick yogurt or peanut butter) the ingredients have a tendency to get stuck in the cup, even if you follow the directions and put the heavy, solid, chunky stuff in the cup last (so it will be on the bottom). The best remedy for this issue that I have found is to take the cup off the base and shake it up - this also works for when ice or berry pieces get stuck against the blades. I actually don't find this to be an inconvenience and really like that I can remove the cup and shake it up. I have always had issues with large blenders getting stuck or not blending evenly and hated having to turn it off and stick a spoon in it and scrape and stir. The shake method is a lot easier for me and far less messy!

The lid for the sport cup was not well thought out. I like how it has the closure that clips shut and the handle. However, I find that they didn't properly ventilate the lid for thicker smoothies - not enough air is exchanged through the one hole to allow the smoothie to come out in anything more than a glob at a time (I might in the future have my husband drill a small hole at the oposite end of the lid to allow for more air flow). Additionally, the clip-shut closure that it has seems almost useless to me because whenever I take a drink, a small amount of smoothie is left sitting in the lip of the lid - then if I close the top, it gets smoothie on it and when I open it back up for another drink, I get smoothie on my nose! I end up having to turn the cup sideways and, looking like an idiot, lick the excess smoothie out! (the design of the lid might be more friendly to protein shakes and more fluid beverages; I don't know, though, because I have not attempted those yet)

So far, I find these to be minor inconveniences and I really enjoy the device. It is my first personal-sized blender and I enjoy it much more than a full-sized blender as I never really needed all the space in the full-sized blender when all I wanted to make is a one-serving smoothie!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Everyday Blender!, April 21, 2012
Bought this to make smoothies with ice cubes for a frozen post-workout protein shake. Ice is completely blended with no chunks to be seen. No leaking and easy to clean container.

5.0 out of 5 stars My bf doubted me, January 21, 2012
My boyfriend told me I'm an impulse buyer...little did he know that I've wanted it for a while. BEST purchase of 2011 :) So easy and convenient I loooove it!!

BTW he now wants his own bottle!