4.0 out of 5 stars Good little smoothie maker for one
Published on April 27, 2011 by Natasha Stryker

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Blender but...
Published on May 24, 2011 by Tanya R.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Blender but..., May 24, 2011
I like to make protein smoothies in the morning for a quick breakfast. I thought this blender would be perfect for blending on the go and since the price was so reasonable I gave it a try. The blender blends very well. I typically use frozen fruit in my smoothies and it blended them without a problem. My only issue with the blender and the one thing that stopped me from giving it 5 starts is the lid that comes with the cup. The lid has a very poor design. It is very wide at the top and the way the opening on the lid is lined up, liquid pools on the top and drips down on the back side of the cup. If it came with a better lid, this would be a 5 star product. Oster needs to rethink the lid design.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little smoothie maker for one, April 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a Vitamix and love it, but I was eager to try the Oster BLSTPB-WOR My Blend 250-Watt Blender in Orange, to see if it could streamline my AM blended mocha. My toddler is freaked out in the early morning by the crazy loud noise our very powerful Vitamix makes, so I was hoping this would be quieter. It is quieter, but I do have to blend longer -- it is a fair trade off though since it doesn't make my daughter cry. Considering my Vitamix was $300+ and this is almost 10% of that, I was not expecting to get the same blend results, but I was very pleased with how the Oster performed considering its low price and plastic parts. I was amused that the neon summer colors offered match the candy colored MacBooks of the early double 00's, reminded me of college days :)

Things I really like about this blender:
- It is cheap! I like that this is under $40 and works amazingly well as long as you add crushed ice from a fridge ice dispenser and not the giant half moon cubes. If you do add whole cubes, it works best to add a little more liquid than normal and give the bottle a shake mid blend.
- It has a small footprint and is light weight, this would be great for a tiny kitchen, RV or someone with limited mobility who can't lift a large glass jar on a full size blender. You do have to twist the bottle to activate the blades, but it was easy to do with little resistance.
- This would be a great gift for the health nut in your life. I make blended coffee drinks in mine, but my body-builder cousin would love this for his protein shakes.
- It is perfect for a dorm room, the bright colors insure there is probably a shade any 19 year old could like. I would have loved one of these in college, I would have told my parents it was for smoothies, and then enjoyed margaritas on the weekends ;D
- As a new mom with a little toddler, I really do like blending my mocha in the same cup I drink from to save on time and dirty dishes. After a quick rinse, I use it to keep ice water handy throughout the day; 4-5 of these means I am well hydrated.

Things I wish were better:
- I wish the container were a half inch winder and an inch shorter. This would allow ice to blend easier and a standard straw would be compatible with this sports cup, as it is now a straw slips down just below the lip of the sip hole so you have to take the lid off to fish it out. Get a long straw if you want to use one with this.
- Better bottle calibrations. It only has a mark for 20 oz., which is the fill line. I would have loved a calibrated side to get proper smoothie ratios right in the cup, it would have saved getting out measuring cups. I may do it myself with an orange Sharpie.
- A better lid. The current flip cap has just a weak tension closure with no rubber gasket around the sip hole, this means it is just plastic clicking lightly into other plastic with no seal at all. I filled it will water and knocked it over on the counter and the cap came open immediately and spilled water out. You could not stash this in a gym bag for later without coating the inside with smoothie. It is best to treat this container like a lidded coffee mug and not a sports bottle. It would be great if the lid had a small rubber gasket around the sip hole and a simple tension latch to keep the lid closed enough to survive being knocked over.
- The colors offered. I was given the orange model free of charge to try and review, so my complaint here is not about what I received but what I see being offered. It would be wonderful if this was available in all black or all white with a clear bottle. I liked this blender enough to see if they had it in white to get my mother for her RV, but she would hate all the day glow colors so I will pass. Too bad, it would have made a nice Mother's Day gift!

Tips for better results:
1) Add your ingredients in reverse of a regular blender, for smoothest blending add in order: liquid, fruit, powder, then ice last. This makes sure the ice gets to the blades straight away and powder mix ins don't stick to the bottom/top.
2) Keep ingredients a little below the fill line. The narrow shape of the bottle means the ice needs a bit more room than recommended to properly grind and blend.
3) If you are trying to make a really thick smoothie and the stuff just isn't moving around enough, alternate between blending for a few seconds and then disengaging the bottle from the base and give it a good shake to help mix the ingredients. This will blend the drink to a surprisingly smooth texture and shaves time off getting it there. It is easy to do this and beats making the baby cry :)

I can recommend this product for blended drinks. I would not attempt anything else with this blender; I'd leave salsa, nut butters, granitas, soups and such jobs to a full size blender. I do not own a magic bullet, so I cannot compare it to that.

GRADE: B

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, March 30, 2011
I love my Oster personal blender!!! I have had the Magic Bullet for a few years and my mom thought the new Oster would be just like that so she thought it was pointless to buy. I ignored her and got it anyways and we love it! The Magic Bullet makes personal size smoothies, but it is far more expensive (although it does other things, too) and it's cups are just that--cups. They have no lid so you really can't take your smoothie with you unless you put it in another bottle. This is why I got the oster. You just blend, put the lid on, and go! It's great for drinking on the way to school or work and it is so fast to make! The longest part of the process is peeling any fruit you want to put in it, but if you use frozen fruit or fruit that does not need to be peeled, or you aren't making a fruit smoothie, it is quite fast! It can make frozen coffee drinks, smoothies, milkshakes, etc. IT is fantastic! The only thing I need now is for someone to sell extra bottles for it. Right now we only have one so only one person can have a smoothie. Generally I am the only one who drinks them daily, but sometimes my mom or sister will want one, too. If anyone knows where you can get more bottles, let me know!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Powerful, April 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had purchased the Hamilton Beach 51101B personal blender because I wanted to use it strictly for making smoothies at work. I soon realized that it was terrible at crushing ice and was worthless for smoothies. I had to put one ice cube in at a time to get it to do anything. Not so with the Oster. I decided to test it's true potential by throwing a full load of ice in at one time (6 cubes), and while it wasn't as powerful as my KitchenAid blender, it handled them well. Once it got going I only had to let it run for about 30 seconds before all the ice was crushed. I used it to make this recipe for an Orange Julius.

Original Orange Julius
1/3 C. orange juice concentrate
1/2 C. water
1/2 C. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
5 or 6 ice cubes

I suspect that it could easily handle a double recipe. The jar could probably hold close to 15 or 20 cubes.

The smoothie was completely blended with no large ice chunks. When I tried the same thing in the Hamilton Beach, it had a rough time with the ice cubes. One thing I like about the Oster blender is that you load it "upside down" so that the metal blades can be removed at the end and replaced with the drinking cap. No leaks while blending, even though the jar was upside down on the base, so it has a good seal. The Hamilton Beach was loaded from the top and so the blades had to stay in the cup with the beverage, which I was always a little leery about. Metal rusts, and I don't always rush to clean out the cup right away. So I can see the blades eventually rusting in that style, which won't be a problem with the Oster. The Oster was fairly quiet, probably more so than my KitchenAid, which is understandable as the motor is smaller. I like the cup and it's nice to be able to purchase additional cups. Everything was easy to set up and easy to clean. It's small enough to fit in a desk drawer.

Overall, a great product. I think the drinking/sport cap is a little big, but other than that I love it. Worth the money if you make smoothies every day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible! Waste of money, April 19, 2012
I should have listened to the other reviews. This blender is terrible. I used it about 5 times before the motor overheated. It's a great concept, but the execution is horrible. You have to continuously stop blending to mix up the ingredients so things actually get blended. The lid is terrible and leaks everywhere while pooling liquid in the top. The motor stops running after 10 seconds of blending. Don't waste your money!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead within 2 weeks, May 23, 2014
This review is from: Oster BLSTPB-WBL My Blend 250-Watt Blender with Travel Sport Bottle, Light Powder Blue (Kitchen)
As others have written, and it may be a hit or miss, but my device died within two weeks of purchasing it.

I used this twice a day for about two weeks to make a soy milk/yogurt/frozen fruit smoothies, then all of a sudden it just stopped working. The device is dead and I am now in the process of returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Lid could be better...(fixed!), June 24, 2012
My wife and I use this daily to make protein shakes (with ice). We've been using it since January, so for the last 6 months, this thing just keeps on working! Several shakes a day... I'm very impressed with the quality.

I agree with others that the lid design is horribly flawed, so the solution is to use the blender lid as the main lid when taking the shakes on the go.

We've purchased 4 additional cups so we can go 2 days without having to run the dishwasher. (Yup, we clean these in the dishwasher - no heat dry). I always hated using/cleaning our big blender, thus we never used it. Now it gets used even less and will be the first item out for the next garage sale. If you're looking for a very convenient and easy to clean blender, look no further. Our Oster rocks!

4.5 out of 5 (5 only if they fix the lid)

EDIT: August 2012: They've redesigned the lid. No more spillage. A1

1.0 out of 5 stars Easily one of the worst designed products I've ever bought!, October 16, 2012
Please don't make a mistake and buy this blender!

Don't get me wrong. I started out loving this blender. But after about a month I discovered the poor design. What you will soon find out is that this blender is designed to wear out VERY quickly. The blender uses cogs on the blender itself which mesh with a cog on the bottle. Both are made out of soft plastic (or nylon maybe). After a month, the blender began to stop turning the blades in the bottle. I discovered that the cog on the bottle (which connects to the blades in the bottle) had worn down to nothing! So I bought another bottle (which came with it's own blades and new cog on the bottle). About a day or 2 later, the blender stopped turning the blades again. This time it was the cog on the blender itself (which cannot be practically replaced). That cog had also worn down to nothing. So now I have a paper weight instead of a blender. I would never go back and buy it again.

For those giving positive reviews, let them use it for about a month or two and see if they are still happy with their paper weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Everyday Blender!, April 21, 2012
Bought this to make smoothies with ice cubes for a frozen post-workout protein shake. Ice is completely blended with no chunks to be seen. No leaking and easy to clean container.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Mini Blender, Great For Smoothies & On The Go Drink Container, Blends Well, May 3, 2011
I bought this blender as well as the Hamilton Beach Personal Blender and I have to say that this one was the best of the two. I like that the blades are a separate attachment to the lid. You screw the blade part off, and replace it with the lid to drink from. The Hamilton Beach has the blades attached to the cup, so you cannot remove or detach it from the cup. This blender blends & mixes well. It crushes ice and frozen fruit. It you find it begins to pause and stop mixing because of thickness, you can just take the cup off and shake it a little bit then put it back on to continue mixing. The instruction manual comes with detailed instructions on how to use the product which is quite simple, but also a few recipes for smoothies! Easy clean-up! Comes in many bright colors: orange, red, pink, green, blue and yellow. I don't know why all the reviews are not combined since each Oster My Blend product is the exact same with the exception of the color. My main concern was the powder (Matcha Green Tea or Protein) getting stuck to the walls of the container and not mixing well. Matcha Green Tea and most Protein powders are not cheap, so the powder getting stuck to the sides is NOT good! You don't have to worry about that with this blender. =) Even if that did happen, you carry around the original container in which in mixed in anyways so you can shake it up from time to time. Container does not leak. When you plug in the blender, it automatically comes on. So there is obviously only one blending/pulsating option which I love because its simple. I rather put the cup on and then plug it in the wall, but the instructions say putting the cup on and off the blender turns it on and off. You can do it whichever way you feel more comfortable. I bought the green one to go with my kitchen (although I would have preferred black, but that's not an option). I also bought the red one for my mom as a gift for this coming Mother's Day (her kitchen appliances are all red), along with some Matcha Green Tea Powder (also sold here on Amazon) for its wonderful health benefits (weight loss (especially in mid-section), immune support, mild caffeine w/out the jitters). So these are a great gift, regardless if someone has a large blender because this one takes up very little space, great for smoothies and can be taken with you!

Rate and Discover Movies