Verified Purchase
I make and drink two 40 ounce raw green veggie-fruit smoothies each and every day (as posted on Youtube). We own a $400 Blendtec, and it does a wonderful job, replacing our previous generation VitaMix which only did a so-so job. The 600 watt, 6-cup Oster Beehive blender produces the same quality of smoothie as our Blendtec, in the same amount of time, and for only $60!!! Unbelievable!!!

If you are looking for an affordable smoothie-drink maker, I wholeheartedly recommend this Oster. It blends the ice, frozen fruit, veggies, and greens as well or better as our $400 unit. No issue with lack of power, burning motors, etc.

Other Oster Beehive benefits...you can purchase genuine replacement/additional containers in glass or stainless steel for $20 and plastic containers of all sizes for less than $10. Note that Vitamix and Blendtec containers run $150! And since the Oster blade and seal are easily removed and replaced, using, cleaning and maintaining the Oster is 100 times easier than its much more expensive counterparts. And though heavy, the glass container is just too cool. Over time, the plastic Blendtec and Vitamix containers show their age...not so with the Oster.

Regarding noise level. The Oster is no louder than our two high priced units.

Our Blendtec has the great preset feature. Press the smoothie button and it produces a perfect smoothie. The Oster has one switch, on, off, and pulse. For my smoothies I pulse a couple of times, then let it run for a minute or so. Perfect everytime!

Bottom line... Wish I would have tried the Oster prior to purchasing the higher priced units. I would have saved a ton of money. Oh, and the Oster looks retro cool!

Note that I purchased the Oster from Amazon, delivered free in four days! Cannot beat the Amazon price and service.

Update 9/20/2012: I continue to use the Oster to make two smoothies each day and it is working perfectly. I found that the order you place the ingredients in the container makes a difference. I found this sequence works best: 1: Liquid, 2: Protein Powder (if used), 3: Leafy greens, 4: Fruit/Solid Veggies, 5: Frozen fruit and Ice. I place items 1-3 into the container and run for 10-20 seconds. While blender is running, I chop up the "4" item(s), then I place place items 4 & 5 in container and blend for a minute or so. Works perfectly every time.

Update: January 2013
I continue to use this blender every day for my smoothies. I had to sharpen the blades this past week as they just were not cutting it (pun intended). Easy to do if you have a small sharpening stone. If not, a new set with ring nut and seal will set you back a whopping $5. Anyway, the blender keeps ticking and does a great job with my greens, ice, apple, carrot, frozen berry, protein powder smoothie. I now use a different sequence: water, ice, frozen berries, leafy greens, protein powder (pulse a couple of times), apples, carrots (blend). Works great! Still a very happy Oster and Amazon customer.

Update: July 2013
I continue to use this blender every day. The wife is also using it. Continues to work great!!!

Update: April 2014
Continue to use the Oster, almost daily (jump back and forth with the Blendtec). I found that not using carrots greatly improves the drinkability - smoothness of the smoothies. I also wanted to remark that though the Blendtec produces a slightly smoother smoothie, it contains a lot more air which leads to a bit stomach bloating, belching, etc. The one advantage of the Blendtec is that I can make a slightly larger batch.

I also used the Oster (and Blendtec) in a health seminar demonstrating making nut and grain milks. Worked great!

One other comment. When making smoothies, I typically dump everything in the container and blend. However, I learned in several smoothie workshops that blending the liquid and greens first, then adding the fruit and hard veggies works best. And I learned to not use carrots!
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2010
Verified Purchase
I just picked this up at the store the other day, and thought I'd write a review because it has some big pros and cons. As for the pros, this thing does actually work...really well. I used to have a Kitchenaid blender for about triple what I paid for this Oster, and it left chunks in my fruit smoothies no matter how much I blended. It also leaked a bit. The Oster blends frozen fruit and berries to a smooth consistency without ANY chunks whatsoever. I was kinda amazed because I figured if my expensive blender left chunks, then that was the norm for all blenders. So I'm very happy that it does the job very well. However, it does have a couple downfalls. There is only one speed, a pulse, and the off setting. This doesn't bother me too much though, because as long as it blends my smoothies smooth, then I'm happy no matter what the speed is. This blender's big downfall is its noise: this thing is louder than hell. It's about as loud as a gas powered leaf blower. It actually hurts my ears, and I'm seriously considering wearing earplugs to make morning smoothies. The loudness isn't the whole issue either. It has this high-pitched whine that just really irritates my ears. I guess that's why they called it the Beehive Blender...

In conclusion, it's a good blender because it actually does what it's supposed to do. However, BE WARNED: it is VERY LOUD!!! It will wake your entire house up!

UPDATE: 04/24/2013...2.5 years later!

I still love this blender. I know I probably sound like I work for this company, but seriously, I haven't had a single problem with it yet. Five days a week, I make a morning smoothie with frozen berries and fruits. So it gets quite a bit of use. It still blends everything down to a smooth consistency, however, I noticed it takes a tiny bit longer...probably because the blades are dulled a bit (which I'm sure I can just sharpen them back up). Plus, it has never leaked even once. So overall, I HIGHLY recommend it. Who would think that a $60 blender would last 2.5 years? I guess when things work as they should you kinda take them for granted.
on May 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have been using this blender almost daily for 30 days and I chose to write a review that was fair and written by someone who knows how to use an inexpensive blender, because there is a method to it.

I make 1-2 smoothies daily. Here is the secret: Liquids and yogurt in the bottom, icy stuff in the middle, veggies and fruit on top. I make it 1 or 2 8-12 oz servings, not more than that. Make sure nothing is packed.

It's very loud and does wake people up in the house, which, for my home, they should all be up anyway. It did initially have a funny gear smell, but that lasted just one or two times and then went away. Very normal.

I have a perfect green smoothie every morning for breakfast with no chunks. It is a beautiful and sheer morning pleasure. The beehive means business once it gets rockin which is never any trouble at all. Sometimes I have to adjust it a bit so it pulls down the top ingredients, but I simply use a spoon to kind of push them gently toward the blades and restart. I never overblend. I count 10-12 seconds once it has everything blending.

I wash it by hand because I don't want it exposed to the heat of the dishwasher. I'm ginger, I'm kind to it. I never try to blend strawberry rocks in it. If you use strawberries or other frozen fruit, slightly defrost. I'd do that with any blender.

My Green Smoothie recipe, in order from bottom to top:

1 4 oz cup of peach yogurt
1 cup crushed ice
1/2 cup OJ
A generous hand-full of spinach
1/2 apple, cut into pieces
1/2 banana
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon chia seeds
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2010
Wow! My husband researched blenders, and this was one of the best (his priority) and well priced (my priority). My girlfriend fried her blender, warned me that making acai shakes might fry mine, and then was amazed at this thing go! Watch your fingers on the blades, they are crazy sharp. And Oster sells an ice blade as well - I can't imagine what harm that would do me! Very few moving parts, so it is hard to break. Great warranty, customer service and communication. Oster is wonderful company to work with and this little blender is a dream.
on April 4, 2011
I bought this blender about a year ago. I don't use it often; perhaps I've made malts or smoothies a dozen times. Tonight when making a chocolate malt I noticed that the jar wouldn't seat atop the motor. I looked at the plastic ring that holds the cutters on and interfaces with the motor. It was cracked in six or eight places.

Sigh. So many well-made things these days are compromised by worthless plastic. I don't understand why Oster uses breakable plastic for one of its most important parts.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2011
Verified Purchase
I just got my blender from Amazon. Shipping and packaging were fine. The glass jar is okay, except that the base is thin plastic- they used to be metal. The base of the blender itself also has a plastic collar, and honestly, I can't tell if the "stainless steel" is real or not. Certainly seems cheap. When you turn the unit upside-down, the housing is thin plastic. The worst surprise is when you turn it on. Even empty, the motor sounds terrible. It's really loud and it sounds as though it's trying to blend ball bearings.

Oster used to make terrific blenders here in the states. The one that this one is modeled after is really wonderful and will last fifty years; I'd be surprised if the new ones last six months. I'm packing the one I just bought back in its box and returning it. Then I'll be on the look out for an old Oster. It's truly disappointing that many of the great companies have sold out and make junk now. This grumpy old man has had it.

Here's an update. I was so disappointed with this blender that I found an old Osterizer on Ebay for 30 bucks. It was in mint condition. It's so much better made that it's hard to believe they're the same company. Metal base on the glass, and the blender itself is heavy and solid, the stainless steel is actual, honest-to-god steel, even the collar- which is plastic on the new "retro" version. The best surprise is when you turn it on. It it so much better, quieter, and well-made that I cannot believe it. honestly, the newer "retro" one requires ear protection. and it sounds as though it wouldn't last out the week. Oster, you should be ashamed!

Do yourself a favor, find an old one at a garage sale, Craigslist or Ebay. It'll be a much, much better unit.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2011
Verified Purchase
After using a 20$ cheapo walmart blender for 6 years, I decided I needed an upgrade. After thorough research on amazon, I landed on this model.
I have zero regrets. I make vegetable and fruit smoothies on a daily basis and chocolate milkshakes for my family. This blender is fantastic. As long as there is 1/2C - 1C liquid, and you add the ice a little at a time, it can buzz through anything. It turns icecubes into slush in about 20 seconds. It rips through frozen fruit in no time.
If you are making a particularly thick shake, I have gotten the "air bubble" effect where there is no movement and you have to turn it off and use a spoon to reorganize the contents. Although I saw there was a milkshake blade that got good reviews.
Other reviewers complained about the noise, I find that funny. The first time I turned it on, I warned everyone in the kitchen that the blender was supposedly very loud. Apparently, my last blender must have been REALLY loud because this thing is a silent hum compared to it.
on June 25, 2012
I bought this blender a couple years ago primarily to make fruit smoothies for breakfast. I did my research and wanted something that could handle crushing ice cubes and frozen fruit. For the price, this seemed to be the best choice. I bought the professional model from another online retailer who had it on sale a little cheaper than Amazon. It worked well (but it is extremely loud) for just over a year of use about two or three days a weeks on average. Then the blade stopped turning. I took the pitcher off only to find the advertised "all-metal drive" had sheared off at the base because it is NOT all-metal, it has a thick rubber coupling under the bit that goes from the motor to the pitcher. It was conveniently just out of Oster's warranty period so I begrudgingly took it to a small appliance repair shop that was listed on Oster's website for repairs. He only charged me $20, but adding that to the price of the blender and I may have gone with something better the first time around. He fixed it and we brought it home only to have the exact same thing happen on day 32 of using it (appliance repair shop had a 30 guarantee on their work). I couldn't believe that once again, just out of warranty, it broke the exact same way. I called the shop and tried to reason with him, but he told me at this point the machine was not worth repairing again! What?! He took my money the first time probably knowing it would happen again, but was unwilling to fix it a second time? That makes me think it is a very common problem and there is really no way to fix it or prevent it from happening. I am very disappointed with Oster's build quality and will not be purchasing another Oster appliance.
on July 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
I'm an avid smoothie-maker. I have 1-2 smoothies per day, every day.
When my old Ninja Master Prep reached the end of its lifetime, I started thoroughly researching a replacement. I was willing to spend the $$$ on a BlendTec or Vitamix if thats what was necessary for a quality machine.
Then a friend recommended this little gem and I thought for that price, why not try it?

There doesn't seem to be anything this blender can't handle. My smoothies are a total mess of fruits, veggies, greens, nuts, seeds, powders, roots etc. This blender blends it all to a perfect smooth consistency, even raw beets, citrus with the rind still on, ginger root, the skin of frozen blueberries. You name it. It makes raw protein powders much more palatable as there is absolutely no grainy texture left.

The blender has a heavy-duty metal construction, and a simple on/off/pulse switch, like a vintage Osterizer. Its the real deal, not a flimsy household appliance.
I love that replacement parts (gaskets, blades, extra cups in a variety of sizes) are cheap and easily accessible here on Amazon. I don't have to worry about the blades getting dull from the abuse I put them through as they can easily be replaced, unlike spending $150 for a replacement cup/blade assembly for BlendTec!

A family member has a BlendTec, and I see no difference in performance between that and this. This blender is quite loud, though not quite as loud as the BlendTec that should really be sold with ear protection.

I haven't owned this blender very long yet, but have made A LOT of smoothies with it as I had dental work done and literally used it to replace every meal for awhile. So far I absolutely love this little machine, I will update if it ever has any issues.
on January 31, 2012
Verified Purchase
I've had this blender for two years now, and I am very happy with the purchase. I waited 6 years looking for the perfect blender before I purchased this one. My prior department store blenders had all shirked at the effort of blending ice on a regular basis, and eventually turned into glorified ice crushers, but this little blender has been a faithful load beast and blends everything without complaint. It feels substantial and of good quality. The simple toggle switch is all that is necessary for blending everything from soups to smoothies. A mason jar fits well in place of the glass carafe, so I often use the blender to blend spices. It is a loud blender, but it is easy to clean, is powerful and works well, and is a stylish addition to my kitchen. In my opinion, it is an excellent blender, and when I wear mine out, I won't hesitate to purchase another.

October 2014: Four years and this blender is still going strong. My blade was getting dull, so I ordered another one for $7 from Amazon. The blender is now like new. It's still loud, so I keep a pair of earplugs nearby. Still a great blender for making my daily green smoothie.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations