1,098 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for green smoothies
Published on July 6, 2011 by JLC

1.0 out of 5 stars Oster needs to send this back to drawing board.
When I first received it, I filled it with some split pea soup, hit power switch and it blinked red, then when I pressed high, poof the led went out and I smell something burnt, I shook the base and looked like a resister. Then I use Amazon return policy, they quickly shipped out another. That one I was able to use a few times before it failed to power on. I looked at the...
Published on September 18, 2011 by Nutritarian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for green smoothies, July 6, 2011
This review is from: Oster BVCB07-Z Counterforms 6-Cup Glass Jar 7-Speed Blender, Brushed Stainless/Black (Kitchen)
I bought this to make green smoothies - those addictive fruit and vegetable combinations (for those few of you who haven't heard about them yet). We have an Oster blender from the 1960s that still works great, but we were worried that aggressive daily blending might be too much for its 50 year old motor. We love our old blender's retro look and we are not ready to part with it, so we decided to buy a new blender. The Vitamix and Blendtec units are being pushed for green smoothies, but as we already have lots of food processors to do all that other work (second marriages, two full kitchens...) all we really wanted was a blender. We looked at other makes, but Oster consistently got great reviews, and as we had been so happy with our other Oster, choosing this brand was very easy.

We chose this model because it was basic, and was a very good price on Amazon. I don't like pre programmed appliances, so I was a bit put off by the "Frozen Drink" and "Food Chop" buttons. Clearly this is aimed at the margarita-and-salsa crowd. Although it was my intention to ignore the pre programmed settings and just use the manual ones, the "frozen drink" setting turned out to be just great for smoothies. It reverses direction a couple of times which pulls all those fruits and vegetables into the blades. You still need to pack it sensibly so that the blades have something to grab and liquify at the beginning but the reversing feature means you don't have to be quite as concerned. Depending on the ingredients, it sometimes needs to blend a little longer than the frozen drink setting allows, so I use the high speed setting on manual for a few seconds.

I have run the motor for a couple of minutes to see what it can do and whether the base unit became warm or started to smell like burning plastic - the signs of poor quality blenders. This has emitted neither heat nor smell as a warning that it was being used too hard. If you let it run on high for a minute or so it will completely pulverize everything, right down to the strawberry seeds. The "food chop" setting is not particularly useful because the shape of the blender jug does not allow enough movement for this to work properly. A food processor or mini-chop does a far better job. If all you want is a basic, reliable, powerful blender, this may be the unit for you. I'll admit that I was almost seduced by the Blendtec demo at Costco, but I know I would never use most of the features (grind flour? Make ice cream?), and all I really needed was a really good blender, which this is, at a fraction of the cost. This one feels very substantial, and has a glass jar.

Just changed my review to five stars. I have had it for 1.5 years now and it is still doing great.

4.0 out of 5 stars great blender, May 1, 2010
I make frozen fruit smoothies every day and I needed a blender that could handle that sort of heavy duty use. I bought one of these at Costco after seriously considering both the Blendtec and The VitaMix machines. I am so glad I bought this one. It has proven to be a great blender. Every morning I toss in frozen strawberries, bananas, pineapple, blueberries, oranges, and other types of fruit. To that I add protein powder and milk, secure the top and use the automatic (this lovely machine shuts itself off) setting to make a pitcher of really great, icey cold, somewhat frozen smoothies. Some days the mixture is so thick that we have to eat the it with spoons! Once in awhile I have to stop the blender and stir the contents because a piece of frozen fruit gets stuck. But that is a rare occurrence (the reversing blades are great at keeping things moving and blending).

So why do I give this blender 4 stars instead of five? It is noisy. In my opinion it is very noisy. I can and do live with the noise because it performs so well. Well enough in fact that, I purchased a second one in case Oster decides to stop making this model.

May 2014. My blender is still going strong. I purchased an extra jar (Wal-Mart carries them) because I find myself using this blender for more than just the morning smoothies. I have also replaced the gasket that sits between the blade assembly and the jar edge. Gaskets need to be in really good, flexible condition to maintain a proper seal. I feel it is important to note that the collar, blade assembly, and gasket should be removed and rinsed every time the jar is used. The jar and lid can go into the dishwasher but the rest is better washed or rinsed by hand. The gasket in particular should not be exposed to alkaline dishwasher detergents.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Surprise, April 24, 2011
Alan Arthur Katz (Johnson City, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This was my third Oster blender this week.

The first was the one I've had for the last year. Fine, but noisy and a bit hard to clean. Lots of speeds, but I still had to shake the container or use a spoon to push stuff down the middle, so I bought another one locally that cost more money. That one only lasted a single day in my kitchen - it seized up the first time I used it, all the heavy stuff at the bottom had locked up the blade.

So, after reading many reviews here, I opted for the Fusion reversing blender. I must say, it's only been one day, but it's fantastic. I made a smoothie with frozen fruit - berries, bananas and strawberry slices. Some big chunks in there.

You should have seen my face the first time the blender reversed, throwing all the chunks up in the air, then sucking them right down into the blades!

It made a perfect smoothie. Not a good one, a perfect one, and it only took one button press of the pre-programmed smoothie button.

I would normally wait a lot longer to write a review, but this thing impressed me so much, right out of the gate, that I needed to tell the world!

I recommend this blender highly. Worth every penny I spent on it - plus!

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Effective, October 1, 2011
I've had this blender for a month and use it every morning to make my green smoothie. It works very well, thoroughly pulverizing tough leafy greens (mainly kale) and cubes of ice into liquid along with various types of fresh and frozen fruit. The powerful 600-watt motor is noticeably more effective than the more common 450-watt motors.

The pre-programed blending modes are very nice. The Frozen Drink program reverses the blade while ramping up the speed. The blade reverse feature really helps get stubborn frozen fruit, ice and tough leafy greens down into the blades.

The glass pitcher and the rubber top seal very well, and the steel blade mechanism is mondo durable. The bottom collar and rubber seal work flawlessly to prevent leaks and reliably mate the pitcher to the base.

A few minor negatives: "7-speed" is a bit deceptive. This is a 3-speed blender (High, Med, Low) with a high and low pulse plus the two pre-programed blending modes: Food Chop and Frozen Drink. Also, this blender is loud when running on high speed. Granted it is not any louder than other blenders, but be aware it makes noise. It would be nice if the blade reverse were available outside the Frozen Drink program, i.e. with a dedicated control button.

Overall a excellent blender. You won't be sorry you bought it.

Update (March 2013): Still going strong, chopping up ice and smoothies every morning. Be sure to replace the blade periodically. I recommend the ice chopper blade if you are doing smoothies or a lot of ice. It is time to replace the when it has a lot of up-and-down movement on the blade shaft. New blades are tight with no such movement.

Enjoy! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blender, August 4, 2010
I have had this blender for almost 3 years now.
In that time I have made numerous shakes, smoothies
and mixed drinks. The blades to date still do the
jobs I intended them for. I haven't ever had
any problems with the motor or the blades stopping
mid blend. The noise is really loud but after
so many uses I've tuned it out. It is easy to clean
and doesn't look cheap or feel cheap. I don't use
the food chop button as I either chop etc.. myself
or I use my food processor. I didn't buy it for that.
I'm very happy with this purchase then and now.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, a great machine!, March 29, 2011
Let me preface this by saying that I tend to destroy blenders. I'm totally jinxed, or maybe they are just such a crummy quality. I have had plastic blender jars literally explode when I put frozen fruit in them and turned them on; I have had blender after blender get stripped where it connects to the machine so that the blade can no longer turn, and have blenders that the motor fizzled and died on . Am I hard on my machines? You bet! I have four kids and make LOTS of smoothies and shakes. I grind my own oat flour as we don't eat wheat, and as a cancer survivor, I blend greens into a shake. All in my Oster. Daily.

I have had my Oster for about almost a year and half and it's still going strong. The metal fittings help reduce the chance of it "stripping" so the blade can't turn. I do EVERYTHING with this blender. I know the raves about Vitamix, etc., and I do own a very expensive high end juicer, which I don't use simply because I hate to clean it. But I can and DO juice in my oster. Yes, you end up with the pulp, but it still does a fabulous job of totally annihilating even raw carrots, kale, sprouts, etc, to the point of where you can drink them. Cleaning is a snap.

If it died tomorrow (I hope not, but a year and a half is pretty good for me and blenders!) I think I would definitely replace it with the same model. I will preface that by saying that I have tried the lesser Oster models and they died. I think this one has the power that a blender is "supposed" to have with a six pronged blade; different than the smaller model with only four points. (I had the "lesser" model and the motor died very quickly.)

The only issue I have had with this model is that the black screw on piece at the bottom cracked. I didn't bother replacing it even though I had a warranty, because I just used the other one I had from my previous Oster. Even though it was a different machine, the black piece is identical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly instantaneous frozen smoothies!, May 12, 2012
M. K. Blue (Under a clear blue sky) - See all my reviews
Very rarely do I want to run in and write a review the first time I use a new appliance. I had to restrain myself to keep from doing so with this blender and, as it is, I've only managed to hold out for a couple of weeks. This blender rocks!

Over the past 30 years, I've managed to pretty much kill a blender every couple of years so it usually isn't a surprise when it happens. That was not the case with my most recent purchase. I've been happily using my Magic Bullet for making very basic frozen smoothies but fell off the smoothie wagon about a year and a half ago. When I was ready to climb back on board, I decided to take that next step and start adding greens to my smoothies. The Magic Bullet, for all its wonderfulness, was not up to that task so I decided to purchase a super-duper "commercial" blender sold on HSN. I was duly impressed with its ability to flawlessly blend greens as well as make pretty spiffy moles. Sadly, that super-duper blender began to moan and groan at about 10 months and ceased to do such a spiffy job with the greens. Time to look for a new blender. Not surprising, HSN no longer sells that particular blender and the only place to find it is eBay. Back to the Magic Bullet and experimenting with a Big Boss Multi Blender that I purchased for work--it will be joining me in the office shortly--and time for research for a new blender.

Reviews are mixed on all of the super-duper "high-powered" blenders. I was debating between a couple of different blenders, which included the ever famous VitaMix, when I found the VitaMix on sale through another vendor. I actually ordered the VitaMix but when it came up as back-ordered I had to re-think that purchase. After all my need was immediate and not several months down the road. For whatever reason, this blender popped up on Amazon's home page as a "personal" recommendation. After reading the reviews and the specs I decided to give it a whirl and I am so glad that I did.

As I mentioned in the first paragraph, this blender rocks! The first time I used it, I didn't have any greens on hand so decided to just make up a simple frozen fruit smoothie complete with coconut water, all of my vitamins and protein powder of choice: about 1 cup coconut water, 1/2 cup or so powdered ingredients, and 2 cups of frozen fruit and ice. Turned the blender on and pushed the "Frozen Drink" button and watched as the entire mix was blended into a smooth, frozen mix in less than 90 seconds. The ice and frozen berries were blended so fast I am sure that my mouth fell open in shock. This was more powerful than the blender previously known as the "super-duper" blender. The next evening I started with coconut water and a couple of cups of spinach on "High." The spinach was liquefied in mere seconds with no need for a spiffy poke-it-down stick. It takes longer to open all of the vitamin capsules than it does for the blender to mix the entire smoothie.

The blender comes with several pre-programed buttons as well as a separate on/off button which is pressed before one of the pre-programmed buttons. There is also a "Stop" button. When the "Frozen Drink" button is pressed, the blender starts out with a quick "burp" and then gradually speeds up to high rather than straight to the high speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, August 24, 2012
Works very well, Looks good on my Kitchen Countertop.

Comments useful for South Indian Women-
This blender is very good alternative to Indian mixers/Grinders like Sumeet for making Idli and Dosa Batter.
Reversible motor makes it easier avoiding the constant need to stir. Glass jar makes it very easy to wash.
Just remember to use "Food Chop" option at the beginning for few seconds you start making the Dosa-Idli batter

I used to hide my Indian grinders since they don't look good on Kitchen counter top. This one looks so cutee and goes very well with my other stainless steel gadgets. Really made my life easier and now my family is enjoying all sounth indian breakfast dishes more frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Ice-Blended Espresso!, August 12, 2012
I mainly use this blender for making ice-blended espresso drinks. The two extra blades and reversing motor help to prevent the trapped air pocket that can develop around the blades when blending frozen ingredients. This model even has a 'Frozen Drink' setting, which starts with a few reversed pulses then finishes with a high-speed spin to deliver a perfect frozen beverage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oster Metal Geared Ice Crusher, March 22, 2011
I chose this Oster Blender over the cheaper Oster blenders because of the quality difference. This blender has metal gears and easily crushes ice cubes at 2 or 3 at a time. I don't think that this blender is very loud and is quieter than most. I use it to make smoothies and other frozen drinks. Very satisfying. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a quality blender and this one is proof. I like it and can recommend it to you.