Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on August 16, 2013
This is NOT the same as the one pictured on this page. I like this one better though, as it has more upscale feel to it. The white parts of the cooker (panel and handle) are actually black, which is why i like it better. The product I received is exactly this one: Oster 4751 14-Cup Rice Cooker, Black, only this one is in red. This is probably an updated version of the product.

Bottom line: Who cares? They function the same.

This review will look and sound like my other top rated Amazon review here: Oster CKSTRCMS65 3-Cup (Uncooked), 6-Cup (Cooked) Rice Cooker with Steam Tray, Black, because I feel the same.

"I do not see any reason why I should not recommend this."

This Oster rice cooker does what it is supposed to do, and that is to cook rice. I am from a South East Asian country so I know what I am talking about when it comes to rice. I eat rice EVERY SINGLE everyday. This looks very durable. Nothing spectacular. It looks the same as the 6-cup rice cooker I linked above, only this one is bigger. Not a fan of red color but it will do. IT LOOKS MORE UPSCALE THOUGH (see my note above).

The lid/cover: The cover - made of a glass lid - is completely separate from the body. This actually has several advantages over those more expensive rice cookers which has their covers built into the body:
1. These are cheaper to make, simpler design.
2. These are easier to clean. A LOT EASIER TO CLEAN, trust me.
3. The cover is easily replaceable.
4. Being glass, you can actually see the rice while its cooking.
5. You can cook rice, while only partially covering the cooker. I do this so the water would not overflow (I like ultra sticky rice, so I put more water).

To those who might be wondering, aside from the rice cooker and the steam tray, it also includes a measuring cup and a plastic rice spoon, which comes standard with all rice cookers.

NOTE: The measuring cup is NOT "US Cup". It is "Rice Cooker Cup", standard on all rice cookers globally.

PROS:
+ CHEAP. -> the cost in mullah, not the build quality.
+ Separable-style glass lid.
+ Includes everything you will need to cook rice, except the rice.
+ WARMER feature. (and STEAMER).

CONS:
- Could not find any, seriously. maybe the red, but it's completely subjective. The black version is not offered by Amazon Prime as of this writing.
11 comment41 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2012
This rice cooker works excellent. Basically put rice and water in, then push button. "Set it and forget it". Perfect rice everytime.
on May 7, 2012
This is my first rice cooker purchase, and my first attempt at rice turned out nicely. So far the appliance has worked great.

My only complaint is that the included manual does NOT do a good job at explaining HOW to make the rice. I expected an instruction manual/mini cookbook as you often see with kitchen appliances. This book has a tiny manual, and the instructions for cooking the rice are buried in the "how to's" of turning the appliance on, and such. I'm no dummy, but it took me several read-through's to figure out what I was doing. Oster could've spent a little more $$ on making a clear, concise manual to go with their product.

That being said, I love it so far! After many years of terrible batches of rice, I think this may be saving me! Looking forward to more successful rices ventures.
44 comments21 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2012
Works well. Had a call from friends that they were coming over. I was able to both cook Basmati rice and steam the vegetables quickly. With brown rice more water is needed than directed.
on March 14, 2013
We love this rice cooker. Rice is a favorite in our house and the ability to quickly and easily cook a big pile of rice is drawing rave reviews from the family! It is easy to use, easy to clean, and love the red color.

The only minor complaint that I would have is that I have found is that the amount of water the manual instructs to use does not seem to be enough unless you like your rice dry. We double the amount and in some cases that is barely enough in my opinion.
on January 28, 2013
I bought this as a gift for my aunt who wanted to try her hand at steaming her own rice. She has been very happy with it and has experimented with steaming other foods. Very easy to use and clean.
on January 22, 2013
I have a hard time getting rice just right when I used a pot on the stove. With this device, it comes out great, and I can focus on everything else I'm cooking. And even if I'm not feeding an army, it nice to be able to make extra for lunches. Haven't mastered the steamer tray yet, but it's great to have that option as well
on February 14, 2013
I loved this product, I gave 4 starts just because while making rice, it sticks to the bottom. I wish there were another plate with pores in the bottom so that there won't be direct contact between the rice and the bottom. Other than that a very nice product.
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2012
I had this shipped to me in a foreign country but when received-the button to cook was broken-had to wedge items to hold cook button down. Works well. Love it. Wont be returning it-just continue to wedge. Great product. Perfect rice every time.
on May 3, 2014
so i was skeptical about buying a rice cooker because i'm so use to cooking rice the traditional way in a pot with boiling water, but due to lives every day hustle and moving, i offten forget the rice is on the stove even though its set between 4 or 5 on my electric stove. The same thing happen when i used a gas stove, i offten forget that something is on the fire. What i like about this product is that when its finish, it automatically switches to a warming option that give you additional time to remember to turn it off and not have cold rice, not only that, but it makes a school bell sound to indicate when its finish. I give it 4 stars because i wish it had a built in option like my morning alarm clock to make that same annoying sound every 5 to 10 mins after it finishes, that would be a plus. I've use it for steaming greens and veggies and it is AWESOME and Perfect! finishes in no time. Get it!