Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Oster CKSTRCMS65 3-Cup Uncooked resulting in 6-Cup Cooked Rice Cooker with Steam Tray, Black
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on December 11, 2012
NOTE: The measuring cup is NOT "US Cup". It is "Rice Cooker Cup", standard on all rice cookers globally.

This Oster rice cooker does what it is supposed to do, and that is to cook rice. I am from a South East Asian country so I know what I am talking about when it comes to rice. I eat rice everyday. This looks very durable. Nothing spectacular - except the fact that I like the color black which stands above the fleet of white or steel colored cookers.

The lid/cover: The style of the cover made of a glass lid, is completely separate from the body. This actually has several advantages over rice cookers which has their covers built into the body:
1. These are cheaper to make, simpler design.
2. These are easier to clean. A LOT EASIER TO CLEAN, trust me.
3. The cover is easily replaceable.
4. Being glass, you can actually see the rice while it's cooking.
5. You can cook rice, while only partially covering the cooker. I do this so the water would not overflow (I like ultra sticky rice, so I put more water).

To those who might be wondering, aside from the rice cooker and the steam tray, it also includes a measuring cup and a plastic rice spoon, which comes standard with all rice cookers.

PROS:
+ CHEAP. CHEAP. CHEAP. -> the cost, not the build quality.
+ Separable-style glass lid.
+ Compact.
+ (Subjective) Color black, if that's your thing.
+ Includes everything you will need to cook rice... except the rice.
+ WARMER feature (and STEAMER). Most rice cooker at this price point does not include warmer feature (just "cook").

CONS:
- Could not find any, seriously.
66 comments|384 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2013
This thing is better than most $50-100 rice cookers, so I am dumbfounded why it only costs $20.
It is not a top of the line model, if you are looking for professional quality you are in the wrong place. But for a general purpose rice cooker for personal use this thing is perfect. Perfect rice every time.

My only gripe with this product is the company intentionally misleads you on the quantity of rice it can cook. It tells you it is a 3 cup/6 cup rice cooker, but it is lying. It comes with it's own measuring cup that is really 2/3rds of a cup. This thing actually only makes 2 cups uncooked / 4 cups cooked rice.
This is plenty for most people though. If you want a bigger one this isn't it.
77 comments|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2013
I'm a single man and I was looking for a rice cooker that would cook smaller amounts of rice. This one is just the right size for me. I can put one cup of raw rice in it, add 1 cup of water, and let it do it's thing for about 25 minutes total time (cooking and steaming). The finished rice always comes out perfect.
44 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2013
Let me first start by saying that I am a rice addict. I LOVE rice, white rice, yellow rice, peas and rice, mushroom rice, rice from different cultures, you name it I've tried it and cooked it. Now as much as I love rice, IMO, cooking it can be a chore if you don't keep focused. I have three kids and standing over a stove monitoring the fire and rice to water to steam ratio... I don't know why, but everytime I walk away I manage to screw it up.

Now, to the point. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this rice cooker. Yes, it's small, yes it measures rice via Oyster cup, yeah, yeah, whatever everyone else is saying in their reviews; however it perfectly cooks rice and that's exactly what I wanted. Did I forget to say perfectly? It evens does perfect pegao or grate. You just leave it 'warm' (steam) longer for the desired texture, but I'm in heaven with this thing. It will now be my most used kitchen appliance.

I can walk away to keep an eye on the kids and it doesn't burn or overcook. I don't have to stand around to remove the cover or stir in extra butter or pour in extra water or turn the fire up or down. You add all ingredients in before hand and let it do it's thing. l even put in a little oil to have it a little greasy, oh it was perfect. I've only tested in 1 Oyster cup measurements (3/4 + 1/4). I'll try in larger quantities to see if I experience the leaking water issue that people have been reviewing about. Anyway, all in all you won't be disappointed.
11 comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2013
I bought this rice cooker because my garage sale one from the 80's finally gave out after at least two thousand uses. I was surprised that, 30 years later, this rice cooker it almost exactly the same. It does not have an off switch meaning the cooker will not go off automatically when the rice is cooked (also a frustration of mine with my previous one) and I find I have to unplug it as soon as the cooker goes from "cook" to "warm" or the rice will develop a crust on the bottom. Fortunately, it makes a click noise when it goes to "warm" loud enough to hear several rooms away. It comes with a rice paddle that I suggest you use because I scratched the bowl's coating the first day I used it with a metal utensil. (However, the rice paddle works great and handles hot temperatures without warping.) The ratios of rice (etc.) to water took some trial and error to get right. I have written them all down now and taped them to the back of the cooker (the black part). Brown Rice: 1 cup/2-1/2 cups water. Red Quinoa: 2/3 cup/2 cups water. White Quinoa: 3/4 cup/2-1/4 cups water. Brown Lentils: 1 cup/2-1/3 cup water. But your mileage my vary (I live at 1,000 feet altitude in the high plains.) You will notice that I use it for more than just rice, it works great on quinoa and lentils and I expect it will on split peas and millet as my previous one did. It is small, I can't even imagine putting in more than I do, a little comes out the vent hole as it is, but that fine's for me- I would rather make rice daily so that it is always fresh. Because it is so economical, I am thinking of buying another one to leave in the trunk to use when traveling. If you like red, you might considering forking out ten more dollars for the red one, I think will get enough use out of this that you will still feel like you got a bargain while feeding also your color soul.
22 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am an ethnic Scot, and have always felt I ought to be more enthusiastic about making oatmeal porridge for breakfast. But it is tasking to stand at the stove and stir with a spoon, taking care that it does not burn. FINALLY with this rice cooker I have the answer! I load in two different kinds of steel cut oats, add water and salt, and walk away. 20 minutes or so later the PERFECT oats have boiled off the water and the machine has switched itself to "warm" and maintains the heat until I am ready to eat it. It IS the only non-stick item in my cookware, I admit to being leering of that chemical, but since I always use a plastic spoon to scoop out the oats and am VERY careful washing it I decided to overcome that worry for the health benefit of having oats more often.
on March 21, 2013
Cute little cooker and makes plenty for 4 people. Love it. Cook rice while steaming veggies or fish on top. Small footprint but very effective. Definitely would recommend.
on January 14, 2013
We received two rice/steamers this year on the same day. One was the Oster, the other a lesser brand that was and looked cheaper. We looked at both and decided to keep the Oster and return the other to the store.

This cooks perfect rice every time. - So far!
The glass lid lets you keep an eye on the rice or veggies as they cook.
We've steamed brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli, and string beans, all turned out well.
It's compact on the counter or in a cabinet but it holds enough rice for six easily.
I like the black as it matches all of our other appliances.
It was $19.99 with free shipping for Amazon Prime members.

For $5.00 more than the other brand the Oster is sturdier, has more features, and the eye appeal that the cheaper one lacks.
on April 30, 2014
Quality rice cooker that cooks perfect. Couldn't be happier with its compact size, efficient performance, and its ease of cleaning and use. Unlike some rice cookers, the lid to this one comes with a pre-set hole so that you don't get that "overflow" running down the side if you accidentally add too much water.
on May 15, 2013
Only had it a month or so but for what it is, its insanely good. Not perfect for grains (bulghur, etc) that require a real long cooking time, and its a little slow to heat up for use as a vegetable steamer, but for its primary function, making rice, it totally rocks. Cooks the rice very nicely, long grain and short grain rice, quinoa, etc, easy to clean. No complaints at twice the price. My only knock is that when it is done cooking, it switches to a 'warming' function to keep the rice warm. That produces the same result as when you try to keep rice (that is already properly cooked) warm in a pot by continuing to heat it. But since some people do exactly that, I suppose its better that it comes that way, and you can just turn it off when its done cooking (which is what we do.)

update: 8 months later and this thing is still working like new. No problems, no deterioration. Using at least weekly, often several times a week. It occurred to me to update this review because I logged in to buy another one, just in case this one ever craps out and they aren't still making it. Seriously.