4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Great for the price
Published on February 14, 2011 by wayward_philosopher

2.0 out of 5 stars Not durable enough
Published on November 3, 2011 by Captain

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Great for the price, February 14, 2011
This review is from: Oster CKSTWFBF10 Belgian Flip Waffle Maker, Black (Kitchen)
I get a little impatient with reviewers who lampoon a product in a lower price point because they are holding it to the expectations of a higher price point. With that said, at ~$30, this waffle maker is about the lowest price point there is, and as such there are obviously some flaws which I would like to be honest about. It is definitely not the professional grade, heavy duty waffle makers you find at hotel brunches. The construction is fairly cheap as it is mostly plastic, the handle that folds for storage might fold when you are turning the waffle housing if you are not careful, the open waffle irons do wobble a little bit when you are trying to pour the batter or remove the finished waffle, and the waffles aren't going to just fall perfectly on to your plate without a spatula and at least a minimal bit of effort. However, for ~$30, this waffle maker really makes fantastic waffles!

I admit some of the characteristics I just described annoyed me at first, but I very quickly got over it, and by the end of my first batch of waffles, I didn't even notice them any more. If you are just a little patient with the contraption, within about five minutes you will easily figure out how to balance the irons so they don't wobble. You'll also quickly figure out how much pressure to use and where to put it when turning the waffle maker so the handle doesn't fold at an inopportune time. And if you make-sure to follow the directions for seasoning it and for first time use, and if you experiment with the temperature/"crisping" dial and the amount of cook time (something which is also explained in the directions), the waffles that come out are crisp on the outside, tender on the inside, delicious and fairly easily removed with a spatula...it's all in the wrist. Seriously, this may sound like a lot of "adjusting," but I had perfected all of this by the end of my very first batch of waffles, and all of the waffles in that batch were perfectly edible...except the first one which the manufacturer's directions instructed us to give to the birds.

That's not to say that my husband and I aren't interested in a professional grade waffle iron at some point, and someday we will save-up for one. But in the meantime, this one makes great waffles! And we are very pleased for the ~$30 we spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great, January 2, 2011
Got this for my husband for Christmas. He likes the waffles in the hotels continental breakfast when we travel. I'm not a big waffle fan. That said, we followed the instructions (very clear) seasoning it with vegetable oil, made some feed-the-birds waffles (as suggested) & ate the last 2. We used the plain waffle instructions on the Jiffy Mix for the first batch and they were GREAT! I thought the 'smaller' size of this maker might be a problem but the waffles turned out perfect & plenty large enough. Don't think I'd want them any larger. I'm a convert & can't wait until the next time we make waffles. Highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, great price., November 23, 2010
Ordered this particular model primarily because cost and features matched my needs. Specifically, I wanted a waffle iron that didn't cost much but had the ability to control the baking temperature of the waffle (previous iron didn't brown the waffles enough). In the end I'm very pleased with the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars waffle maker, October 31, 2010
Its nice. It is a little smaller than the average size belgian waffle maker but it does the job. thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little waffle maker for the money, January 13, 2011
I was eyeing the $50 wafflemaker at Costco but they were out (xmas rush on wafflemakers?). So I though why not give this one a try. The reviews were pretty good.....
It was delivered yesterday and I tried it out last night. Its a GREAT little wafflemaker! I set it to high to preheat it and made a batch of waffle batter. It took less than 5 minutes for the pre-heat. I then sprayed some non-stick spray as recommended by the instruction book and got my batter on the griddle. I made 2 dark waffles: nice and crispy, evenly cooked and released perfectly. I then wanted to see what would happen if it went from high to medium. I got perfect, nice golden, fluffy waffles. Not too crunchy not mushy at all. evenly cooked. deep pockets for lots of butter and syrup. I used Trader Joes Baking/Pancake mix.
The unit cleaned well also, was sturdy and the drip tray was handy. cooled quickly.
Overall I'd say this is a good little unit for those of us who like waffles about 2-3 times a month, worth the $$.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelieveable waffle maker, January 8, 2011
Despite the low price point (we paid $30) this is an excellent waffle maker. The heat control really makes the difference in getting a crispy waffle. It makes waffles really fast, waffles don't stick and it stores in a small space. We own 3 other waffles makers, and none work like this one. I have stopped my quest to find the perfect waffle maker.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not durable enough, November 3, 2011
This isn't a bad unit overall, but I wouldn't count on it being solid enough to last any length of time. We only used it three times before the handle broke off. The handle felt flimsy from the start, but we figured that with a little care, it wouldn't have issues. We figured incorrectly. The waffles it produced were nice and tasty, at least the two batches we were able to enjoy. Can't comment too much on the efficacy based on that. Overall, we can't recommend it. We're trying a different one and hoping for better durability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great design - slow cooking, August 21, 2011
We love the compact design - so easy to store. The whole unit turns vertically for storing, the handle folds and the drip tray is stashed next to the unit. We do use the unit over a cutting board since the drip tray doesn't catch all the drips. It is easy to use but we find we have to keep heat set almost at high and cook longer than the light indicates. Using a timer it's about 4 minutes a waffle. This seems a small price to pay since it is much cheaper than other units we saw for sale.

Hint: use a metal 1-cup measuring cup to dip out and pour your batter. It's quick and easy once you figure out how full to fill the cup. We like the Winco multi-grain pancake/waffle mix (bulk) as well as the expensive Belgian waffle mix in the 5-lb package. And it's a lot cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice waffle iron - not too big for 2, April 13, 2011
corgicat (Jonesborough, TN United States) - See all my reviews
My husband and I enjoy waffles and our other waffle iron still works but makes really thin waffles. We wanted a Belgian one and the price was right here on Amazon. I'm pleased with the size - perfect for 2 people. I also like how quickly the waffles cook though I do have them on the highest setting. You might have to adjust the heat setting to your taste. I like the drip tray too. It does have a slight tendency to flip a bit while filling so I need to hold onto the handle a bit more than I would like - makes it a bit tricky to fill - but I'm getting the hang of it. We use the Kodiak pancake and waffle mix purchased here on Amazon. I'm pleased with the waffle iron and it looks sturdy. I'm hopeful it will last a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better waffle makers I have owned., October 5, 2011
I have owned quite a few waffle makers. And for the price, this particular one takes the cake. I love it so much that I wouldn't mind eating waffles everyday! Yes there are very good, but expensive professional waffle makers that are amazing and have timers, but they can become large and a pain to deal with even if the waffles look and taste so good. With this waffle maker I can store it almost anywhere because of its size, but it gives me everything I want in a Waffle maker. I say "Yes!"

Oster CKSTWFBF10 Belgian Flip Waffle Maker, Black