5.0 out of 5 stars Works great -- perfect -- and time has proved its value
For example, can you replace the corkscrew when the original one gets dull? I don't see how, frankly, but perhaps for thirty bucks that isn't important for you, just buy a new one.

Published 19 months ago by Robert C. Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more oomph!
Published 19 months ago by Kevin C

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great -- perfect -- and time has proved its value, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Oster FPSTBW8220 Electric Wine Opener, Metallic Red (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Not good with plastic corks -- I wish all wines meant to be drunk in the first five years after bottling had screw caps, but that just the dreams of an old guy who has poured too many expensive bottles down the drain. (I admit that I am very sensitive to TCA, and probably guys like me have no business using an electric wine bottle opener.)

But, gee, on the right kind of cork, this is a very good wine bottle opener -- only 18 cases so far, but every one was pulled out beautifully and then ejected without any change of button pushing. The little cutter thingie -- does it have a technical name -- works great and the holder on the side of the main case is a brilliant design feature.

Holds a charge well here -- we opened 18 bottles during one tasting with no loss of power.

Great product -- but can it be recycled when the cork screw gets dull? No way as far as I can tell.

Robert C. Ross
April 2013

May 24: 24 bottles, 20 corks, 4 other -- going strong.

January 4: 114 bottles, 110 corks, screw is going strong but the foil cutter is failing.

February 22: 124 bottles, 120 corks, foil cutter showing amazing life, but several of the last few corks broke -- poor corks in general in our favorite Sancerre from Balland, but the screw handled the weak corks much better in the early going. If it were possible, I would change the screw at this point, but we will soldier on to see how it does in its after normal life. Cost so far (not counting electricity, $.25 per bottle.)

June 16: 157 bottles and corks, the foil cutter continues to show amazing life. We have had better corks since February, and the screw is performing admirably. If the cork is sound -- of course out of the control of the wine lover and the manufacturer of an electric opener -- this device is worth owning. Cost is under $.20 a bottle and the device is working as well as when we first tried it.

Based on this experience, I've moved from three to five stars. A very good electric opener.

August 31, 2014 Well, it finally has given up -- it would love to keep going, still takes a good charge but the point of the screw is too dull to pierce the corks. I still haven't found a way to replace the screw or to sharpen it -- so it is time for a replacement. Total usage: 202 bottles, or about fifteen cents a bottle. I'll shop around for a replacement, hopefully with a replaceable screw, but failing that, will buy another one.

***

No luck; I ordered another one with the same product number: Oster FPSTBW8220 Electric Wine Opener, Metallic Red. Saturday night I will open, hoping to find a replaceable screw, but if not, let's see if the second can beat my 15 month record with the first one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome both in performance and price!, March 3, 2012
J. Barnes (Alexandria, Virginia) - See all my reviews
I should have bought one of these a long time ago - it is so easy to use and I no longer have to struggle with the rabbit ears corkscrew I had before!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Electric Wine Opener!, March 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have the older version of this Oster Electric Wine Opener and this one is similar it just doesn't have the light on top whenever it's charging. I love that this newer model is much more compact, is much stronger, and able to open the bottle much quicker than my older model. Just like the older version the newer version works perfect even on those plastic corks and the foil cutter is an added bonus that you can easily open the tops of the bottle before you start pulling out the cork. This looks really nice on my counter top and everyone that sees it loves it and can't believe how amazing this opener is.

I love showing This Oster Electric Wine Opener off instead of opening the wine in the kitchen I make more of a show and people always ask about it. I love this wine opener and it looks more expensive than it actually is, so if you want to buy one for yourself, as a wedding gift, or housewarming gift you can't go wrong with this. I love this and it makes wine opening less of a task and more of a pleasure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more oomph!, March 17, 2013
Kevin C (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, this is my third electric wine opener, and I am yet to be totally satisfied with them. I had on Oster a couple of years ago which worked ok, but the Up and Down switch is a rocker panel that hinges on a fairly small, delicate piece of plastic...which broke. I ended up using duct tape to keep it in place. Then I got an Ozeri Prestige Electric Wine Bottle Opener with Aerating Pourer, Foil Cutter and Elegant Recharging Stand which needed to be replaced rather quickly because the pointy end of the cork screw was almost flush with the cork, rather than poking down into it. The company was very quick to send a replacement, and that one worked better. I decided to try the Oster again on the Vine, thinking maybe they had improved the previous model (and how can you resist that great red color!). I am disappointed. The cork screw is similarly parallel with the cork, takes some work to get it to grab into the cork, and while it is working it sounds like it might just give up the ghost. I wish someone would make an electric opener that really has more power, and doesn't sound like it is straining with all its might to remove the cork. The search continues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, January 5, 2013
This product might not have a great battery life but just remember to put it back on its charger after your done opening your bottle. It worked so effortlessly that I thought, " this thing must not be working". However the directions say to keep pressing the down button until the device stops. Sure enough just a second later the cork was out clean. Pressed the top button and the cork fell right out. Every wine lover should own one.

4.0 out of 5 stars I saves my wrist, December 20, 2012
Some of the newer manufactured plastic corks are next to impossible to extract, particularly if you have weak hands and sore wrists. The product takes away the pain and has worked flawlessly so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it so much, bought another!, March 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have the original model Oster 4207 and love it. Looked it up in my Amazon Orders for the model # and bought it- Dec. 2008. Wow! didn't realize we had it that long! It was taller with more silver but the rechargeable battery sounds like it's going on it. Very slow as it pulls the cork out and back up...chugging chugging along. With this newer model, love the tuxedo black, looks very sleek and a bit shorter. Synthetic corks are a breeze, and looks beautiful on the counter. Under twenty bucks is a deal. Suggest it as a gift for yourself, friend's next Birthday or gift party with a bottle of wine.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like the small size of the base, July 10, 2014
I like the small size of the base. It takes up less counter room than my other electric wine opener.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... once a week) and so far I am very happy with it, October 15, 2014
I've had this opener for about a year (using it about once a week) and so far I am very happy with it. It is so simple to operate that recently my wife offered to open a bottle and had no trouble doing it, even though she had forgotten to first remove the foil. Has good battery that lasts a couple of weeks with my frequency of use. One tip for those who buy it: place the bottle on a non-slippery surface, otherwise you will need to hold the bottle with your other hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., June 16, 2014
I was really impressed how it removes the cork, and it goes inside of the device, then the opener will automatically stop and you push the reverse button and out comes the cork. Works with real corks, and the new plastic synthetic type ones.

I just hope with it being on the charger/base 24/7 the battery will not develop a bad cell memory and need to be replaced down the road sooner than expected.

Oster FPSTBW8220 Electric Wine Opener, Metallic Red