1,007
Color Name: BurgandyChange
Price:$57.70 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 26, 2009
Verified Purchase
This clipper is a vast improvement over my old, noisy Wahl. But with all the talk about the included combs (which are also a vast improvement over the Wahl's), nowhere does Amazon or any reviewer mention which specific combs are included--only that there are four of them. So here you go, straight from the side of the box:

- 1/2"
- 1/4"
- 3/8"
- Blending

My work here is done.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2008
Verified Purchase
I don't review many product that I purchase but I have more than a passing familiarity with the regular use of electric clippers even though I'm not a professional barber. I started cutting my own hair about ten years ago when I was assigned to recruiting duty in a city where the barbers were unionized. Getting a haircut every seven days at twice the price of the barbershop on base was more that I could afford.

I started out using discount store clippers and learned quickly that most were not capable of cutting thick hair or at least not cutting it quickly. The blades for some consumer grade clippers were just terrible and made of stamped metal that warped over time and pulled hair rather than cutting it.

For the past several years I have used Wahl Powerdrive clippers which are consumer grade but significantly better than any others I had tried and lasted for several years. As the Wahl clippers began to wear out I decided to step up to something better as a replacement and decided on the Oster Fast Feed based on the other reviews at Amazon.

The Oster Fast Feed clippers are of very high quality. They are somewhat shorter than most vibrating motor clippers and easy to fit in one's hand. The variable length adjustment makes it easy to effect a taper from very close to 1/8" length without using the guide combs. I concur with the other reviewer who suggested that the slide switch could be replaced with something a little more substantial but it's not a big deal.

The 12 amp pivot motor is about 50% more power than the 8 amp motors in most consumer grade clippers. The power cord is round and heavier than the flat and thin two strand cords on consumer grade clippers.

As long as you are cutting the hair of a homo-sapien the Oster Fast Feed will have the power to cut it at a reasonable speed without pulling. If you really need something that can shear sheep or 100 recruits lined up for their first haircut at Parris Island in under ten minutes then it's probably worth investing in the Oster Classic 76.

The stock blades are very precise and sharp. Conveniently the use Philip's head screws instead of torx or hex head so that you don't need a special screwdriver to disassemble and clean the blades.

One criticism I have of the clipper it is that the blades are not truly zero-overlap closeness. I'm guessing that for most people truly skin tight trim is not a show-stopper for hair clippers and it may not be realistic to expect a set of clippers with adjustable blades to be variable from skin tight to 1/8". I may get a set of T-blade trimmers to supplement this but if I deployed I would just take this clipper by itself.

Another minor point is that it only comes with molded Styrofoam packaging and no hard case. I am using the molded plastic case from my Wahl clippers for the Fast Feed so that I can put it in a seabag or an ammo can and be ready to deploy with it. The clippers need some protection for travel.

Overall, a very good quality set of clippers that I would purchase again. I have no reason to believe that I will not be using them ten years from now.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 5, 2007
This is really a great clipper. I have used it now on my family giving a total of 6 haircuts and couldn't be happier with it. The guards it comes with are very short though, the longest one being 1/4" so its a good idea to order some longer ones along with this. The power is more than enough for our thick hair and is very very quiet. I definitely recommend!
on July 6, 2008
Verified Purchase
(June, 2008). I am completely satisfied with the Oster Fast Feed clipper. It works perfectly, has minimal vibration and noise. It has no case, but the accessory guides fit and seem well made. I was able to get mine for less than $50, shipping included.

Here are some general observations about buying clippers for reliable long life use. I needed a clipper to cut my (mens) hair fairly short. I researched the Wahl, Andis and Oster brands.
The least expensive Wahl unit that seems to be currently made (assembled?) in the US and that consistently gets good reviews is the ChromePro. Some of the HomePro units get terrible reviews. I suspect the manufacturing of this line has recently moved overseas because some of the older HomePros models were well reviewed.
The same seems to be true of Andis; some less expensive units get mixed reviews and the better-rated and more expensive units are US made.
The Oster Azteq is made in China and has some negative comment about insufficient cutter travel. The Fast Feed and Salon Pro are the least expensive Osters with good reviews and, you guessed it, made (assembled?) in the US.
I think, at this time, my recommendation regarding clippers is to seek out an American made product.
Technically Wahl has the least expensive product to meet these criteria, but I have been using Oster clippers on my horses for years. Some of these units are 30 years old and still going strong, so I decided to pay another $20 to get the Fast Feed.
You probably will need guides that restrict the length of hair that can be cut. I felt I needed at least a #4 (1/2"), #3 (3/8") #2 (1/4") and #1 (1/8" aka blend) guide. The clippers themselves have a built in guide that adjusts to provide the smaller sizes (000 to 0 or "shave" to 1/16th). If you are styling longer hair then you will need more guides. It makes sense to buy the guides at the same time as the clippers. All clippers should include oil and a cleaning brush. You will also need good scissors.
If you are unsure about home hair cutting go to Google and search videos "how to cut hair". You can add in "Men" and "Self". There are many very informative videos on the subject. Some are pretty funny, too.
Good luck and remember
"It eventually grows back."
Chris
on September 6, 2007
After going from cheapo to cheapo for too long, finally broke down and got a good pair of clippers. Did the research, went with these fast feeds, and boy do I love 'em. Me and a buddy cut eachother's hair at school and these baby's will be paid for in about 3 or 4 cuts. They're not magnetic so you don't get hairs clinging like crazy, and they power through both of our thick heads o hair. And they just have a nice feel, a heftiness, to them when you pick them up.

The only thing I would recommend is getting a good attachment set, there is a nice one out there by Oster that has metal spring-loaded clips so they actually stay attached, comes with a bag, real nice. Just get some extra oil, a stiff brush, and maybe some disinfectant at a barber supply store (or online I suppose) and you're set.
on March 3, 2009
Verified Purchase
I have been cutting my hair for close to 15 years. I learn by watching and when I would goto the barber I would watch him and then attempted it myself at home. I taught myself and use a hand mirror, a mirror over the sink, and a mirror on the door behind me. I use a 3 bladed razor to do my neck lines (you can NOT get accurate lines with a 5 blade), so an additional "finisher" clipper is not neccessary.

Although I would not consider myself a "professional", I have certainly had alot of experience cutting hair and do a pretty dern good job. I also cut alot of my friends hair.

I just could not bring myself to purchase the Classic 76 due to the price and the overall size which did not look user friendly to a person cutting his own hair. The size is meant for a person to cut another persons hair. The way I have to twist my arms and hands to cut my own hair with 3 mirrors can be a little ackward, let alone with a huge pair of clippers.

I have used Wahl products since I started and have gone through about 4 in 15 years. I never really had any problems with snagging hair as I always oiled them before each use and kept them clean. What I did have problems with was the blades had a magnetism thus attracting hair to the blades right above the top blade and the plastic chassis. This was very irritating having to brush the hair off every 5 to 10 passes, but I got used to it. In addition, the entire clipper would get pretty HOT.

The first thing I noticed while looking at these vs Wahl is the spacing between the teeth of the blades are indeed further apart than my old wahls. This translates into a faster cut time and the ability to cut thick hair.

The second I noticed is that the top blade only comes to within 1/8" of the front of the bottom blade. My wahl's I was able to adjust the bottom blade so that when I adjusted via the black bar the blades would come within a 1/64". I tried to adjust the bottom blade but it is not adjustable to that degree. (Minus 1 star)

The third, is the clippers do not get HOT or very warm for that matter.

Fourth, is the on/off switch is a little difficult to turn on and off, but so was every other pair of clippers I have ever had.

Fifth, the hair just falls away from the blades. These blades do not have magnetism (time will tell if they will develop this or not).

Sixth, the overall sound is has a softer sound than my wahls. Due to that fact, I think they are a tad quieter than the wahl's.

Seventh, the heavy duty feel of the power cord is nice, however it can also be a down side since the cord is heavier than the 2 strand, which can make manueavering more difficult, but it did not seem to affect the final result of my hair cut and I didn't really notice the difference.

I gave these clippers 4 stars. Minus 1 star for lack of adjustments to true zero, and the on/off switch. Also due to the included comb attachments are not as good as what came with my wahls. In addition, for not coming with a case, and I had to order extra attachments found here:
FYI, I am using the storage case from my previous set of wahl's to store these and the attachments in.

Bottom line? I would highly recommend these and I bet I am still using them 10 years from now.
on December 6, 2008
Verified Purchase
Stop reading reviews and buy these. I've tried two other brands (Wahl and ???) and they don't even come close. I've had these clippers for about 4 years now and have zero complaints. I cut my hair and my son's hair frequently. They haven't slowed down at all. In my original review / writeup I had some concerns about the quality of the guards and the lack of case but as you can see from my updates below, neither of those proved to be an issue. In this day and age of cheap quality / planned obsolescence, it's rare to find a product that's built to last like these clippers.

[EDIT] As of 3/16/2010 these clippers still cut like new. Great product. [/EDIT]

[EDIT] 8/9/2011 still cuts like new [/EDIT]

[EDIT] 10/28/2012 still cuts like new. Raising it to 5 stars...the guards still work fine, the lack of case hasn't been the issue I thought it would be, and I'd buy these clippers again in a heartbeat. After hundreds of haircuts, the original blades still go through hair like butter. Maintenance is easy. All I do is brush off the blades and put two drops of oil (comes with clippers) on them.[/EDIT]
on June 24, 2010
Color Name: BurgandyVerified Purchase
Started cutting my own hair and bought this based on other good Amazon reviews. I just shave my head to a 1 so it's fairly simple. The clippers run cool and don't get hot. They make light work of my thick hair. Attachments that come with it are nice but would be better if they came with something to hold it all. I just used my old clipper case to store it. My problem was that I had only used it 5 or 6 times before it broke. I adjusted the blade height lever (attempting to oil it)and before it reached the top position it became very loose. When I tightened the screw back up I realized the lever was broken. The up / down blade height lever pivots on a very cheap piece of plastic that sheared off when adjusted. Now there is nothing to hold the blade in position and the clippers are useless. I can say they functioned well when they were in use though. IF I were to buy it again I would not adjust the blade height in fear of the same thing happening again.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2008
Let me make it simple for you. If you need a clipper you will use every single day then go with the Oster Classic. If you're doing a few cuts a month at home then look no further than this. For the price, you can't beat it for home use.
on March 15, 2007
I purchased the Oster Fast Feed Clippers after asking my amazing hair stylist friend what she uses. I wanted the best. Out of all the over-priced clippers out there, she reccommended this one for both home and salon use. My boyfriend has also enjoyed his new clippers.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations