5.0 out of 5 stars A fine edition with many helps for the reader, February 24, 2004
This edition is from the 3rd Arden Series and may have a more modern feel to readers than the previous series did. For example, modern scholars believe that Shakespeare's plays were performed without break between scene and act so this edition does away with the ACT I Scene 2 headings and instead merely inserts 1.2 in the text where the change occurs.
There is a fine introductory essay that gives important cultural information to help the reader understand the moral climate in Venice in Shakespeare's time and the context of the play in the author's career and times.
This edition has the many good notes one expects from Arden editions. The longer notes are moved to the back to avoid too great an interruption to the readability of the text. There is also music for the two songs in the play and an index.
A fine edition that I am glad to own and refer to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to one of Shakespeare's best tragedies, June 16, 2007
This review is from: Othello (Arden Shakespeare: Third Series) (Paperback)
I have never intently read Shakespeare before, but enough people told me that I needed to read "Othello" that I decided to break down and buy a copy. Everything about Shakespeare I find intimidating, so with much trepidation did I buy this critical edition of "Othello". Needless to say, this work is AMAZING. Not only does Dr. Honigmann give notes along the way to help the reader interpret what the characters are saying, but he also provides an extensive introduction outlining Shakespeare's sources, some possible motives, and some character criticism. He also provides one of Shakespeare's main sources, a short story written by Giraldi Cinthio, and in this short story he provides notes that link it directly to the text of "Othello". I am completely sold on "The Arden Shakespeare" series, and will continue to use it in the future. A definite buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Arden Shakespeare is excellent!, March 27, 2001
Damon Timm (United States) - See all my reviews
The play "Othello" is magnificant, and there are plenty of reviews to attest to that. This reviewer wants to point out greatness of the publisher and editor in this case (referring to the Arden Shakespeare). After buying Arden's "Henry V" publication a year ago, I have become a devout fan.
I will never buy Shakespeare from another publisher. While these books may be slightly more expensive than a "mass market" edition, I believe that if you are going to take the time to read and understand Shakespeare, it is well worth the extra dollar or two. The Introduction, the images, and plethora of footnotes are irreplaceable and nearly neccessary for a full understanding of the play (for those of us who are not scholars already). I recommend that you buy ALL of Shakespeare's work from Arden's critical editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Edition of a Great Play, January 3, 2003
By A Customer
Shakespeare's play, "Othello" is usually recognized as one of his "great" tragedy's (with Hamlet, King Lear, and Macbeth). It certainly has a quite exciting plot and great poetry. If you have not yet had an oportunity to read this great work, I recomend it strongly. It is still an intelligent treatment of race, family and civic duty, and sex. It also has one of the most interesting bad guys around - Iago.
I read it in the Arden edition, edited by Honigmann. Honigmann argues that Othello has a strong claim at being Shakespeare's greatest tragedy and makes a strong case for the work. He has a good introduction that gives a quite balanced and clear overview on many topics regarding this play, from the "double" time method Shakespeare uses, overviews of the various characters, as well as a the stage history. Amazingly, he can be remarkably balanced, even when he is talking about his own views. While he is a decent writer, Shakespeare is better... In the text itself, he gives quite ample footnotes to help explain the language, why he picked particular readings, as well as where themes came from...
Like all scholarly Shakespeare editions, the notes are in danger of overloading the text. This reader, however, recognizes the distance between myself and Shakespeare and so I find it comforting to be able to look at the notes when I have questions. At times his "longer notes" were awkward, but there is no easy way to handle this amount of material.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Me, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Othello (Arden Shakespeare: Third Series) (Paperback)
I have just completed a review of the Othello (Folger Shakespeare Library) in which I discuss how much my students enjoy and appreciate that edition. The Arden edition, however, is the one that I love. This edition is for me.

The footnoting and explications are more abundant and detailed. What other reviewers have considered unnecessary, I consider interesting and provocative. Perhaps my students would have been distracted and, worse, discouraged by the extensive references but I use them for possible discussion points in class. In private, I relish almost all of it.

It is also sturdy and the binding has yet to crack. Considering how often I refer to this edition, that's pretty remarkable!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT STUFF!!, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Othello (Arden Shakespeare: Third Series) (Paperback)
William shakespeare novels are soooo fuun to read! i highly reccomend this book to anyone who wants a good drama story !

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a great purchase, February 11, 2013
It arrived on time and even though it said it was used, I noticed it was new and had no notes inside!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book for those who have trouble with Shakespeare, January 20, 2013
This review is from: Othello (Arden Shakespeare: Third Series) (Paperback)
I had to buy this book for my English class, but I really liked it.
I had read the story before in high school, but this version was great for me at the university because it helped me understand things I wouldn't have gotten on my own.

The play is annotated with explanations and definitions so that as you read it you can understand what it is you're reading. Experienced Shakespeare readers may not appreciate this as much as I did, but I think it is incredibly useful. Moreover, the foreword and the appendices are very informative! They contain a lot of historical and background information that is helpful when trying to understand the context of this play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs No Introduction, July 31, 1998
"Hamlet," "Othello" and "Macbeth" are the best Shakespeare plays ever written. They are filled with deceit and betrayal, especially "Othello," which is the most interesting and easiest to understand. Once you read it you'll understand how gullible Othello is, how betrayed Desdemona feels (and for good reason) and how truly evil Iago is, and also learn how the lives of six people are ruined by a misplaced handkerchief. Now I want to see the movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 18, 2011
This is probably the best version of Shakespeares Othello out there. It defines and describes the text, very useful. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Shakespeares works.

Othello (Arden Shakespeare: Third Series)
Othello (Arden Shakespeare: Third Series) by William Shakespeare (Paperback - October 24, 1996)
$17.00 $14.57