Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon November 25, 2010
Othello was one of the first plays I was exposed to when I was younger. It has murder, suicide, intrigue and things that would get a teenager into Shakespeare.

I've had mixed success with some of the free Kindle versions of Shakespeare. Some have been good, some have been awful. This is an exceptional version. It's formatted nicely and is easy to read. The only "lack" is that it is without line numbers, so if you were to use this for academic reasons, you might have an issue or two.

Thus far, Othello's my favorite free Shakespeare play. I missed how much of a jerk Iago was, and all the deception that lead to Othello killing Desdemona.

If you've got a Kindle and want to read Shakespeare, then download this version.
on June 25, 2005
Is there any other character in all of literature who is as calculatingly evil as Shakespeare's Iago? His jealousy over being passed over in favor of Cassio engenders a revengeful scheme that turns jealousy into a weapon used to destroy the noble Othello. Here innocence and trust is contrasted with pure manipulation and evil in what is one of Shakespeare's most revealing tragedies. The characters act exactly as they would be expected to based on the overriding quality that they represent. Othello is wonderful Shakespearean drama that ranks among his greatest works.

The Folger Library editions are my favorite. Each page has a facing page that explains obscure terms and helps as a handy reference to make reading the plays pleasurable and educational. These paperback editions of Shakespeare's works are a great value and fit in your pocket.
on July 26, 2010
Really, if you enjoy Shakespeare's plays, then you'll enjoy Othello. The actual read-ability of this digital version is excellent, so I'd recommend it above other digital versions.
on January 4, 2007
As a high school English teacher I struggle with students' bad attitudes toward Shakespeare. Forget reading it aloud! They have no idea what they are saying, and it is painful for all of us. And having them read it on their own is a joke, as they will stop after a page because they can't understand what they are reading.

This unabridged, dramatized reading of Othello is a perfect solution for anyone who wants to read and understand Shakespeare in his original vernacular without reading some kind of "updated" version. The characters are distinct, the pace exciting, and the included music really sets the scene. You could just listen to the CD, but if you're not familiar with the story or you have trouble with Shakespeare, I would follow along with a text as well. And of course, listen to it more than once because you will pick up new ideas or images each time--I know I do!

I have purchased this product twice (once on tape and once on CD). I would love to have a whole Shakespeare set of these!
55 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 31, 2006
The Play, the Book, the Format---all outstanding, absolutely outstanding...With the original text on the left page and a modern easy to read and understand text on the right, Shakespeare reads like a Vince Flynn novel--well, almost. It really opens up the story, the ideas, the characters and the struggles. (Iago is still reprehensible! In any time, in any format!!) And in Act 5, "Othello" turns into a page turner, like a modern day novel. Who would have ever thought it!!! Good way of doing it, well done. The Bard is alive and well...And we are all the better for it.
on July 17, 2008
I've been using the Folger library series for years now, and although the Norton Critical edition has its place, the Folger edition cannot be beat for clarity and accessibility. Pay the extra couple of bucks for the 5.5 x 8
paperback rather than the smaller mass market paperback. The paper quality and illustrations are far superior in the larger version.
on May 27, 2007
As my first introduction to Shakespeare working in a senior high school collaborative English class, this book helped me enormously with its Modern Day English interpretation on one side of the book and the Shakespearean writing on the other which follows the regular novels. This proved to be a lifesaver!
on January 15, 2007
I have my degree in English... I like reading and teaching with this version as "help" not as a substitution. It gives a clearer understanding to Shakespeare for people who have difficulty with it.
on March 30, 2002
This is the 1944 studio recording of the legendary stage production of "Othello" which starred Robeson & Ferrer.
Both of their interpretations may be a little more declamatory than modern tastes are accustomed to, but there is no doubt as to their effectiveness, variety and power. As to Uta Hagen's Desdemona: wonderful. The recording itself is of excellent quality - the balance captures the full mid-range and depth of Robeson's formidable bass and Ferrer's sinuous baritone. The mastering more than does justice to it and is from nearly pristine sources. In brief: If your curiosity is at all piqued by this disc you should get it, no question. Listen to it with the lights out and bask in the sheer glory - especially Act II, scene III and the final scene.
on June 9, 2013
Why no 5 stars? This is the best purchase of my college career. Better than sparknotes and way better than the original old english version that makes no sense and is miserable to read.

I bought this for my Shakespeare class. Hell no I am not reading the original edition in hard to read language. This has a simple version next to it in PLAIN english so I can comprehend what the story is actually about instead of dozing off as i take in zero. It made me appreciate Shakespeare and enjoy this story. I used it for a college class (non-english majors) and I passed all quizzes and was able to discuss what happened and identify quotes. PLUS there is the original version on the page next to it. When the teacher asked what we thought the line meant I always had the answer.

This makes me ENJOY the story, PASS the class and save TIME. Get this series for each adn every shakespear book.