5.0 out of 5 stars You can go home again
They'll caution you that wanting a thing is often much better than having it.

They'll tell you that you can't go home again.

They'll say that sequel is never as good as the original.

Published on November 22, 2011 by Merry MIller

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow at times
Published on December 22, 2011 by ronnieloves

5.0 out of 5 stars You can go home again, November 22, 2011
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Kindle Edition)
They'll caution you that wanting a thing is often much better than having it.

They'll tell you that you can't go home again.

They'll say that sequel is never as good as the original.

I'm here to tell you this: They haven't read THE OTHER GUY'S BRIDE by Connie Brockway. So they're feeling unlucky and a bit left out. The mysterious `They' mean well but gift them a copy so they can see what they've been missing.

I know there are a lot you out there like me, who wanted more after reading the last word of AS YOU DESIRE. We wished, we asked, there was even begging and pleading, bribes offered and maybe even a few threats made (that's not a confession).

Our efforts have not gone in vain.

Ginesse Braxton, daughter of Harry and Dizzy Braxton, is returning home to Egypt from England where she was banished to boarding school for her own safety. She has a colorful history of reckless, impulsive incidents that got her into trouble and kept her there for most of her life. She's a calamity and known as much for that as for being a Braxton. She used her time away studying, earning a degree in ancient studies. While working for one of her professors, she made a discovery that if it is as she suspects, will led her to the fabled lost city of Zerzura. Zerzura would be the archaeological find of the century, certainly of a lifetime. Finding the Lost City will make her career. And, Ginesse believes, finally make her worthy of the illustrious Braxton name. All she has to do is get there, the middle of desert with men and supplies and without the aid of her family.

Ginesse meets Mildred Whimpelhall, fiancée to Colonel Lord Pomfrey while on the journey home. Ginesse gets to know the lady and by extension, her fiancé. When the opportunity to temporarily take up Mildred's identity presents itself Ginny simply can't refuse. She knows that it was meant to be. Mildred is to be met by Jim Owens, the man sent by the colonel to escort her across the desert. Ginesse has learned all about Jim Owens, ruffian cowboy and intimate acquaintance of desert scoundrels, from the letter Mildred carries with her. Ginesse's romantic and impulsive nature sees this only as an adventure, the way to get closer to finding the lost city.

James "Jim" Owens is repaying an old debt that's been hanging over his head for years when he agrees to escort Mildred Whimpelhall to her fiancé. Jim is a gentleman, even if he doesn't bear a title. He has his own code of honor and just because his reputation points to a "disreputable, morally questionable, possibly criminal, artifacts dealer and gun-for-hire" doesn't mean he won't follow it. His sense of honor and his ego demand repayment of the debt no matter what it takes.

The "Mildred" Jim meets in the train station isn't all what he expected, not the sort of woman he expects the colonel to make his wife. She's impulsive, romantically inclined, opinionated and independent. And she just can't stay out of trouble. Protecting her from harm becomes second nature for him. He's lived in self-imposed exile for years and time spent with "Mildred" as they travel into the desert makes him start to question that choice.

Jim's job should be simple. Get Mildred to her fiancé, safe and sound. Falling in love with her isn't honorable but he just can't help himself. Jim has secrets of his own and he's within in mere months of making that long ago deal permanent. He hasn't missed what he gave up all those years ago until now, when he sees what it means that he has nothing to offer Mildred, even if she were free to accept. That's just beginning of the adventure because the path to true love and lost cities in never straightforward, never so clearly and easily defined. If it is, you better believe there are some detours and disasters and a few bad guys along the way.

THE OTHER GUY'S BRIDE is very much about expectations. For Ginny and Jim, it is about the expectations imposed on them by family, by society but most importantly, the ones they've imposed on themselves. Each has a clear cut idea of who and what they should be, of who and what the other person is. Both are determined to meet those expectations regardless of any doubts they have or even what either of them really want.

For the reader, the expectations are for a story and characters you can love as much or more than the ones that came before. Ms. Brockway has given us that story and it's full of twists and turns, adventure, witty dialogue and humor. Oh, the humor.

Having THE OTHER GUY'S BRIDE is so much better than wanting it. Ms. Brockway has gone home again, just to a different house in the neighborhood. This is a sequel worth waiting for and worthy of its predecessor. This story is so much fun, such a good a time. THE OTHER GUY'S BRIDE is a treat you owe to yourself. Indulge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow at times, December 22, 2011
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Kindle Edition)
I am surprised this has received so many great reviews. The three main characters all suffer from the same inner turmoil, woe is me, nobody has ever really liked me. I found myself skipping much of the last quarter of the book, Haj no body like me... skip to Jim no body likes me... skip to heroine I behave badly no body likes me... Just dragged. Jim spends 3/4 of the book unable to say the simplest nice thing, then suddenly becomes Shakespeare the last quarter. The change is too dramatic, too sudden, and not believable. The setting was unique, adventures helped move along the very slow relationship development, and I did chuckle on occasion. Not horrible but far from great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another dazzler from Brockway!, November 23, 2011
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Kindle Edition)
I have to preface this review by saying I have a close personal acquaintance with the author. But I try not to let that impede my enjoyment of her books. (Ba da boom!) But seriously, it's always a joyful day for me when a new Connie Brockway book comes out. AS YOU DESIRE is one of Connie's classic novels so we've all been waiting for (cough, cough) way too many years for this sequel about Harry and Desdemona Braxton's daughter Ginesse. I'm happy to report the wait was worth it! I'm not going to review the plot of THE OTHER GUY'S BRIDE because other reviewers have done so quite ably. I'm just going to tell you that I started smiling on page one when Connie introduced her hero Jim and haven't stopped yet. This book has everything I've (rather greedily) come to expect from a Connie Brockway book--charming and deliciously flawed three-dimensional characters, a rousing sprinkling of adventure, arousing romance and best of all--a delightfully spry command of the language it takes to create a new romance classic. She combines being a wonderful writer with being an amazing storyteller--an exceedingly rare talent which is displayed to its best advantage in THE OTHER GUY'S BRIDE. Bravo, Brockway! (Now I'm hoping Jim and Ginesse will have a daughter and Connie will want to write about her, too.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Three thumbs up if I had them, November 22, 2011
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Kindle Edition)
The Other Guy's Bride is an awesome story! I liked As You Desire, but I LOVED this one so much more. The chemistry between the characters is tangible. They spark immediately and you can feel it. For me, Indy popped up and stayed at the forefront of my mind through the book,mainly because of the location, and his description, but the humour cemented him in my mind. Ginesse isn't the average romance story heroine. No simpering Miss here, she has guts and isn't afraid to be herself(Although she is in fact pretending to be someone else). I loved her character and all of her misadventures. The best part of this whole book though is knowing how much Connie wanted to write it and share these characters with us. It was a labour of love and you will be able to see it on each and every e-ink page. You will laugh out loud in the opening paragraphs and smile through the rest as Connie takes you on a journey across the desert fraught with villans, sandstorms and a stinky one-eyed camel with two of her best characters ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique venue, interesting story, November 23, 2011
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Kindle Edition)
Overall, The Other Guy's Bride is a great read and a worthy sequel that can easily be read by itself. Egypt is not my favorite location, but Brockway handles it well. It's never tedious, the main characters are likeable and the story (overall) is well paced. It's not a perfect read, however. There is a superfluous secondary villain, a what the heck moment in the middle, and a few other quibbles that keep this from being a five star read. it is a shame, because it is so close to classic status. I definitely recommend it if you like Brockway or are looking for a slightly different historical . Gin and Jim are motivated by damaged family relationships. Both were sent away at young ages. Gin feels the need to prove herself to her famous family while Jim is in hiding from his. After a great opening scene where Jim vows never to do anything stupid over a woman again he meets Gin, a legendary trouble magnet. Gin is not TSTL but she is shortsighted and her failure to fully think things out does her no favors. Through Jim, she realizes that the dreams she is chasing are not her own and adjusts her goals. This long awaited book doesn't disappoint.

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly disappointing, January 12, 2012
C. Young (Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Paperback)
As a rule, I do not like to leave a book unfinished. But after struggling through about a third of the book, and after putting the book down in frustration, picking it up again, and then putting it down again, I finally have to throw up my hands in defeat.

Ginesse Braxton has lived her whole life trying to proof herself worthy of being a member of her exalted family. Her brothers, her parents, her grandfather...almost everyone in her family has established themselves as someone important in the archeological community, except for Ginesse. As a matter of fact, not only is Ginesse not among the ranks of the archeological elite, she is actually known for being the clutz who is always getting into accidents, causing her mother finally having to send her away from her home in Egypt to boarding school in England. So, when her research leads her to believe that she has found the clue to the fabled lost city of Zerzura, it is only natural that she would make her own way to Egypt to try to look for it. And when good fortune smiled upon her and she ended up being on the ship with Ms. Mildred Whimpelhall who's on her way to a city not quite 30 miles from where Zerzura is to meet her fiance, and that Ms. Wimpelhall decides to disembark before they have reached Egypt due to sea sickness, it is only natural that she would take it upon herself to impersonate Ms. Wimpelhall so she can use Miss Wimpelhall's escorts whom they were supposed to meet up with in Egypt to escort her across the desert.

Thus begins a tale of mistaken identities, adventure, and romance. For of course the leader of the escorts Ms. Wimpelhall is supposed to meet would end up being a dashing young man with a roguish reputation, and of course that young man would be destined to fall in love with our feisty heroine even though he believes her to be betrothed to another. Honor demands that he leaves her alone, but his heart rebels. What is a man to do?

Of the bat, I have to say that mistaken identities have never been my favorite plot device in a romance novel, but I was willing to give this book the benefit of the doubt because of Ms. Brockway's reputation. But it isn't before long I knew that this book was going to be a chore to wade through, for it features one of my least favorite kind of characters in a romance novel - the feisty heroine. I really don't know why it is so hard to romance authors to create a feisty but likable heroine, but in most cases the "feistiness" also comes with a horde of other character traits that includes being annoying, impulsive, headstrong, and stupid...in other words, completely lacking in common sense. It's as if to demonstrate how "feisty" they are, they always have to insist on doing something stupid even though anyone with any lick of common sense can see from a mile away that it would be a very, very bad idea. And Ginnesse Braxton is no exception. She's spent her whole life getting into scrapes that other people end up having to bail her out of, but it is really not her fault, because, you see, the issue is really that she is too curious, too smart, and too thirsty for knowledge for her own good. So it's not really her fault that she can't resist putting herself into dangerous situations, and it is definitely not her fault that almost all of the dangerous situations she put herself into ends up having disastrous results.

Oh puleez..the truth is that she's just too selfish and wrapped up in herself to even consider how her actions may affect other people. After Ginesse lands in Egypt, she was able to convince our hero, James Owen, to escort her across the desert to meet her "supposed" fiance. And as is often the case with her, she starts to get herself into all kind of accidents that James had to save her from. But instead of feeling sorry and apologizing for actions that have put others in harm's way, her ways of dealing with it is to give tantrums. And when her escorts want to head back out of the desert because they believe themselves to be in dangerous of being accosted by bandits, what did Ginesse do? Give another tantrum. For of course they can't go back! It would ruin her plan of finding the lost city of Zerzura and becoming as famous as the rest of her family! So what does it matter that she's putting herself as well as the rest of her party in danger? And that she's been lying all along and that she's not even the person her escorts are supposed to be risking their lives for? It is only what she wants that matters, right?

It is at this point that I decided that there was no way I will be able to finish this book without tearing my hair out. Not only is Guinesse a most annoying brat, she's also not too bright. Because there are some rumors that James Owen is an American cowboy, she automatically made a lot of assumptions about him and cast him in the light of a romantic American hero even though all evidence points to the contrary (such as his posh British accent). James thought that this is just because she's got a romantic streak in her, coupled with everything else that she has done, I just thought that she is TSTL.

While Connie Brockway has never been one of my favorite authors, I've generally enjoyed her books and thus was really surprised when it turned out to be such a dud. The only saving grace is that it only cost me $1.00 to purchase it on my Kindle, so that I can move on to something else without feeling guilty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read!, November 25, 2011
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Kindle Edition)
I am a lover of all things romance, but I don't always LOVE a book. This is one of those reads that I didn't want to put down, not even to eat! It was fun and exciting and a nice break from the typical historical romance. I enjoyed that it wasn't set in England throughout the story. Egypt definitely made for an exciting locale. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend this book. Connnie Brockway's books are all wonderful, but this one was the icing on my birthday cake!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and authentic historical romance, November 25, 2011
Sarah (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Kindle Edition)
Fabulous read - without a doubt my favorite work from Brockway. Everything in the book made sense - there were no trumped-up divisions between the hero and heroine, and their emotions and actions felt so real. Ginesse and Jim were wonderful, and the secondary characters were interesting and funny as well. For once, I enjoyed the adventure plot as much as the romance. The search for the lost city was exciting, and the trips across the desert were far more interesting than I thought they'd be. Brockway clearly did her research on the culture, events and language (see Author's Note at the end) and it gave the book such an authentic feel. All in all, a fantastic era and one that I'll definitely pick up again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the prequel!, November 23, 2011
S.W.P. (Marina del Rey, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Kindle Edition)
I was both thrilled and a little anxious to hear that Ms. Brockway was writing a sequel to As You Desire, perhaps my all time favorite romance novel. I was convinced there was no way it could live up to its predecessor, but have never been so happy to be proven wrong! A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riviting...mostly, June 28, 2012
This review is from: The Other Guy's Bride (Kindle Edition)
Depending on the readers' interest in this type of genre, this story can be very captivating.

So here ya got two strong willed personalities [Ginesse Braxton & Jim Owens], being paired together (for reasons I won't disclose) and of course, the inevitable long journey to work out their differences and kinda sorta fight mutual attraction. Ginesse is traveling under a stolen identity on her way to meet her groom...at least this is what she allows everyone to believe.

I loved that Ginesse is not the run-of-the-mill insipid English female, but rather she's independant and she's got "moxie"..a woman with a strong opinion. She's also a romantic and loves anything to do with the American West (ie; Dime novels, cowboys etc.) It's rather hilarious!! She's impetuous, impulsive, headstrong, determined and prone to accidents - - James is a "rogue" with honor, plain and simple..and he's running from his past.

This is a glorious adventure of redeeming lost qualities and regaining direction in life that have been lost while trying to survive...and finding that one person in life who believes in you when nobody else will. A wonderful romantic adventure.

I loved the return of Harry and Desdemonia, even though it wasn't much. Nice update of what's been taking place in their lives.

My only gripe is in the beginning of the book...in Ch. 1 we read that Ginesses' hair color is "an unremarkable brown". In Ch. 2 her hair color is blond! (this before she uses Henna rinse). So...which is in Ms. B??!?

The Other Guy's Bride