Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 6, 2001
This was a different album for Stevie Nicks because it was produced by somebody different: Ruper Hine. (all 3 of her previous albums were produced by Jimmy Iovine.) This is really a great album and it was released in the spring of 1989. This contains some of her strongest material, like the hit "Rooms On Fire" which peaked at #16 during the summer of 1989, and is really awesome, and "Ooh My Love", which is really sad, and the haunting "Ghosts". "Juliet" is a good song and is very strong, too. "Alice" is a good interpretation of the famous Lewis Caroll tale of "Alice in Wonderland/Through The Looking Glass", which is really the whole theme of the album. "Two Kinds of Love" is pretty weak, just like "Cry Wolf". "Doing The Best That I Can" is about Stevie's drug problems, "Whole Lotta Trouble" is just plain rock n' roll fun, and "Long Way To Go" is an angry song. One of the really cool facts about this album is that it was actually recorded in a castle. Buy this album if you are looking for a different direction for Stevie and if you want some of her most exciting, and dramatic material.
on June 1, 2011
Going into a Stevie Nicks record is probably one of my most pleasurable experiences with music. She always brings this sense of magic and the supernatural into her mystic songs.

"The Other Side Of The Mirror" is probably her darkest moment of her career, Think "Bella Donna", but more somber and Heavier. She was inspired by secluding herself in a Castle during the writing and recording process to bring this sense of desolation and enchantment to it. Well the process worked, because the result is one hell of a stunning album.

The Passionate "Rooms On Fire" just begs to be blasted from the speakers and sang from the top of your longs.

"Maybe i'm just thinking that the rooms are all on fire, every time that you walk in the room, there is magic all around you if i do say so myself, i have know this longer than i've known you"

She feverently sings.

"Fire Burning" is a song very dear to me. It's about a girl whose soul is in such pain that she feels like she's drowing in her sorrow. Hence she starts to see fire everywhere. But it's only a reflection of how her heart feels. A knockout track for sure.

"Whole Lotta Trouble" is a heavy rock song that stands out immensly on this gorgeous album. If you were to blend the albums "The Wild Heart" and "Rock A Little". The result would be this incredible song. I love it.

"Ooh My Love" would best describe the process she went through being secluded in a castle to capture the mystic ambiance. It's a very emotional song about being in a castle with her lover and yet nothing between them is the same anymore. She recalls the times when their love would burn passionate behind the castle walls. This is my favorite song from the album and one of my all time favorite Stevie songs.

All in all "The Other Side Of The Mirror" is incredible. Stevie created magic here and it's truly an honor to listen to her music. She's one of the best song-writers of all time and the passion and emotion she evokes into each and every one of her songs with that bewitching voice is enchanting. She transports you to a whole other world.

My Top 5
1. Ooh My Love
2. Rooms On Fire
3. Doing The Best I Can (Escape From Berlin)
4. Ghosts
5. Long Way To Go
on August 17, 1999
I wouldn't usually write a review, but this CD really changed my life. The song "Juliet" helped me make a very important decision...when i needed help.
The poetry here...the sound...the songs. This album is Nick's masterpiece. No Tom Petty here to carry the day. I feel like Stevie really opened up her diary for this one... And i really love "Doing the Best I Can." That song is right up there in the masterpiece bracket along with "beauty and the beast" and "storms"
on July 6, 2000
The mistress of lace, ribbons and bows and and ever so slightly kooky outlook on life has produced an album of great pop songs that wouldn't look too out of place in her other part-time job for Fleetwood Mac. Lyrically she inhabits the same world as ever - castles in the air, rooms on fire - but that is the charm of Nicks' work. Musically she has written songs that deserve to be great hits - the storming "Whole Lotta Trouble", the joyous "Ooh My Love" and the countrified jangle of "Fire Burning". Her ballads also deserve respect with "Alice" being a standout - all Lewis Carroll imagery and throaty longing. If you were looking for a Stevie Nicks album to start your collection then this is a great starter.
on June 7, 2004
There is only one Stevie Nicks. The voice, the spirit, and the power of this woman has cast a spell over me from the first time I ever seen and heard her. And I have a question for you? How in the world do even begin to tell somebody who has never heard her before how to describe this woman's one of kind, exotic voice. Then on top of the voice, add the fact that she writes the most incredible, deeply personal songs ever to be written. All her songs she contributed to Fleetwood Mac and her own solo stuff is just simply some of the greatest songs ever written either by a man or a woman. Then with her voice, and songwriting skills, her beauty and class is unbeatable. Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera need to take lessons from this classy lady to see how to be sexy with class. Let me put it to this way, I am gay, and Stevie makes me almost go straight. Almost!! And on her fourth solo album, "The Other Side of the Mirror", I believe all her special strengths are at its most beautiful. On this great record, she rocks, she makes you cry, and takes you to "The Other Side of the Mirror" with her. Let me tell you my five favorites off this great record: 1)"Long Way to Go". I have always believed she saved her best material for her solo albums, and this one proves it and it is my second favorite Stevie Nicks song of all time. 2)"Doing the Best I Can(Escape from Berlin)". This song you need to hear to appreciate Stevie Nicks unique writing skills. 3)"Alice". I love the lyrics of this song along with its great beats. 4)"Rooms on Fire" The only big hit off this record and it still sounds great. 5)"Ooh My Love". I love the sexiness of this one. The female voice has always been a favorite musical instrument. And there are two that I consider my favorites, and they are Elizabeth Fraser, from the one and only group, Cocteau Twins, and Stevie Nicks. Stevie holds a personal place in my life. My favorite Stevie Nicks song of all time is "Stand Back" off of "The Wild Heart". It was this song that gave me the strength to come out as a gay man when it was released back in 1982 and at the time I was 18 years. When I fell in love with a man and wanted to tell people how I felt about him, I heard these great lyrics to point me the way, "No one knows how I feel, unless you read between my lines....Stand Back...In the middle of my room...one man asked me for my love, and I feel I need a little sympathy" are the words I heard, and I have never been the same since. Stevie is the greatest and I will love her with all my heart till the day I die.
on June 27, 1999
This is a GREAT album! Stevie's songwriting is wonderful on this work, with songs like Rooms on Fire, Ghosts, Whole Lotta Trouble, and Juliet. My only complaint ~ I could have done without Two Kinds of Love. Although I think the duet with Bruce Hornsby is very nice, the song is weak. But you won't see me "skipping" it when it comes on either! Way to go Stevie!
on January 7, 2016
I used to have "The Other Side of the Mirror" on cassette back in 1989 til someone stole it.Decided to finally replace it with a CD (27 years later-hahaha). Glad I finally got around to it cause this is some amazing music! Stevie rocks- then and now, but this is one of her best albums.
on January 21, 2013
this was stevie's fourth studio album. my favorite song on it is ''doing the best that i can'' most likely as herself incentive to keep making albums and recognizing that even though she has it all and still does that theres no such thing as a perfect singer or perfect person in general.
on November 23, 2011
Four years had passed between Stevie Nicks' late 1985 release 'Rock A Little' and 'The Other Side Of The Mirror,' released in May of '89. The 1980s were coming to an end and thankfully, so was was over-produced synthesizer pop that dampened a few of the tracks on 'Rock A Little.' For this venture, Stevie transformed a Dutch-style castle in Los Angeles and recorded the whole record there. Produced by Rupert Hine, who was rumoured to have dated Stevie, the album has a more mystical feel to it.

"Rooms On Fire," a swanky, mid-tempo ballad, was chosen as the first single. "Two Kinds of Love," a great duet with Bruce Hornsby, was also released as a single but failed to chart. A third official single, the ballsy "Whole Lotta Trouble," was the third single. "Long Way To Go," while not an official single, did receive considerable airplay.

"Doing The Best I Can (Escape from Berlin)" is one of the most moving songs Stevie has ever recorded. There is also a very interesting "music video" for this song, though it's just Stevie, Sharon (Celani), and Lori (Perry-Nicks) sitting around the piano in the castle in which the album was recorded. You can find it on YouTube. This song helped me through one of the most difficult periods in my life. Other stand-outs include "Juliet," which features harmonies from Bruce Hornsby, "Alice," "Ghosts," and "Ooh My Love."

Buy this album and ignore the fact this most of it is NOT commercial. Buy this album because you want to hear Stevie's song-writing and her personal confessions.
on May 26, 2001
By far the most overlooked of her 80's solo output, TOSOTM is conversely her best album of that period, at least in my opinion. After the slick 80's production that permeated ROCK A LITTLE, this album saw Nicks back on more solid ground, if not lyrically, then certainly in the production department. Opening with the rousing 'Rooms On Fire', most of the album follows that songs general path, concentrating on mid- to uptempo rockers rather than ballads. Strong contenders in that vein include 'Long Way To Go', 'Ooh My Love', and the sterling 'Ghosts'. Bruce Hornsby shows up for two tracks, the standard ballad 'Two Kinds Of Love' and the far superior 'Juliet'. My personal faves would be the aforementioned 'Long Way To Go','Juliet', 'Ghosts' and the jangly country rocker 'Fire Burning'. The album also presents Nicks at her most mystical, with those types of themes apparent throughout. If there is a downside, it would be 'Whole Lotta Trouble', a pleasant but far from extraordinary track obviously highly favored by Nicks herself(she include it on both of her compilation packages), but ultimately overrated. Otherwise, a very strong entry in Nicks' solo catalog.