4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, Entertaining, and Occasionally Gross
Published on May 28, 2011 by Spudman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Title
Sorry, but I cannot rate this book with any accuracy. Why? I purchased it as a gift and since I have never heard any comments from the recipient as yet, you see my predicament. Love the title though and I think I just might want to read it for myself someday.
Published 9 months ago by Alberta Haught Goshorn

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, Entertaining, and Occasionally Gross, May 28, 2011
Spudman (Pasadena, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Why Dogs Eat Poop, and Other Useless or Gross Information About the Animal Kingdom (Paperback)
Useless doesn't necessarily mean bad. In this book it doesn't necessarily mean useless either in a literal sense. There are just too many facts here, facts disgusting and bizarre, memorable and very forgettable. Occasionally as one reads this book one of these facts strikes one's fancy and goes directly to the permanent memory bank, skipping the limbo of the short term memory storage area.

Thus Why Dogs Eat etc. is rife with conversation starters about animals and insects. What attracted my attention to the book was the question about coprophilia, dogs eating poop as my shih tzu is disgustingly fond of doing.
For the impatient the question isn't even addressed until page 160 with an answer that interesting but far from definitive.

I like that the book is a series of questions and answers arranged in categories like: amazing animals, brainless brutes, filthy fauna, sexy species - you get the idea. Because of its format this a great book to pick up for short reading breaks, or long depending on one's mood. There's also no problem finding a good stopping point because you're never more than a page away from a break point.

The authors' style is relaxed, playful, and unpretentious, so much so that you don't have to read this book with your Websters at your elbow.

My favorite fact is the one about Africa's naked mole rat which, like me, has a fondess for potatoes.

Other questions that might arouse one's interest:
What is the deadliest animal?
Do snakes fart?
Do animals feel depression? If you live with a dog or ferret, you already know this one.
How do slugs have sex?
Which fish spits its prey to death? (I knew this one.)
Which spider bites off his own penis?
What's the best way to fight a crocodile?

Interested in animals and the unusual? This book might be right up your alley.

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and fascinating, if sometimes disgusting, book!, June 21, 2011
Why Dogs Eat Poop is one of those books that I probably would never have picked up. My mother, however, had bought it for my cousin as a Christmas gift and had, apparently, read bits and pieces of it before giving it to him. She related the story about the sheep - found under "Are sheep as dumb as they look?" - and I decided I needed to read the book, so I came home and ordered it.

While I wasn't exactly sure what to expect at first, this book was most certainly worth reading. Yes, it is full of a LOT of random trivia, but at the same time, the information is still extremely interesting. I can't remember how many times I interrupted whatever my fiancé was doing to share something I'd just read. This book had a great deal of interesting facts and I had a hard time putting it down - in fact, I have a feeling I will end up rereading at least parts of it.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys trivia or is looking for an entertaining read full of random facts. I will warn readers, however, some of the parts are fairly disgusting - never enough for me to stop reading the book, but certainly enough for me to go "ugh...yuck!"

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Title, March 15, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative., February 28, 2013
This is just another book of facts to add to my collection of useless and nonsense facts book collection. A great coffee table book or something to read in the bathroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who really want to know..., January 6, 2013
An excellent book of factual trivia for anyone who really wants to learn about their dogs and other animals. Easy to access, easy to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars great useless information, August 19, 2014
This book is not just funny, it is very informative!

Used & New from: $0.99