Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoor Deals on DOTD Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon

Format: Audio CDChange

on July 14, 2001
After reading the other reviews, how did we Nanci lovers react to "Other Voices, Other Rooms, Too"? Various ways. Some loved it. Why? Well because it is better than 99% of music released these days. Others were appalled because it isn't one of her masterpieces (Ms. Griffith has always been a risk taker--sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't). So they express their chagrin with low ratings.
"Too" is not her greatest album, but it does grow on you. Any album that has such a stunning version of Sandy Denny's "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?"(the high point of the album for me) and the beautiful "Dress of Laces", not to mention Richard Thompson's rocking "Wall of Death", and her versions of "Yarrington Town," and Stephen Foster's "Hard Times, Come Again No More," belongs in any folk music lover's library.
No it's not her best but....I just talked myself into giving it four stars instead of three.
I told you it would grow on you!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2005
Sweet Nanci has done it again! This follow-up to the excellent OTHER VOICES OTHER ROOMS also boasts an impressive line-up of guest performers and Nanci's fantastic vocals and guitar talent to boot. This was one of the first Nanci Griffith albums I heard and was taken aback with CANADIAN WHISKEY thinking 'where did this guy come from and what's THIS?' but this one's a grower, a classic folk song about a woman wronged by a man she thought loved her and became a recluse(drining the aforemnentioned booze, now I wonder why I like drinking the stuff now . . .). WALL OF DEATH(and other tracks) features Richard Thompson guesting, YOU WERE ON MY MIND is a 1960s pop cover which Nanci belts out with some gusto - loved the vocal delivery at the start! WALK RIGHT BACK, written by and featuring Crickets stalwart Sonny Curtis we all know from The Everly Brothers' hit single version, this I have to say is equally as great. Listen out for some fantastic vocal harmonies on WINGS OF A DOVE by Lucinda Williams, Nanci and Lee Satterfield. DESPERADOES has some funny Southern hillbilly vocals and is a bit cheesy, but entertaining nonetheless. The real tearjerkers for me on here WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES(for Sandy Denny) and HARD TIMES COME AGAIN NO MORE, this is enhanced by Celtic influences, both moving and uplifting. Other highlights - WASN'T THAT A MIGHTY STORM - loved the screaming vocals and the telling of the story in the song of the Galveston hurricane and floods in 1900 - you also get CAROLYN HESTER and EMMYLOU HARRIS guesting on here too(yesss!), and the wonderful and touching YARRINGTON TOWN along with the Hester and Harris daughters; DEPORTEE with the bit in Spanish and its harmonies, not to mention Odetta guesting; STREETS OF BALTIMORE with the entertaining John Prine on additional vocals and the(apparently) legendary HArlan Howard's VERY cheesy spoken word interlude and IF I HAD A HAMMER, an old standard done brilliantly which will have everyone singing along before you know it! Overall, this is a CD which can be enjoyed by all ages and many thanks to Nanci and her buddies for keeping these great and entertaining songs alive for future generations to appreciate!
on February 1, 2001
This recording, and its fine prequel, Other Rooms, Other Voices, has resorted my faith in folk music and sent me in search of other music by writers of these great songs.
I find incredible, the criticism of this recording. So Nanci affects some voices in spots and maybe it wasn't quite what we expected. That doesn't detract from the many, many wonderful songs she's given us. In support, she doesn't offer a bunch of golden-throated, Nashville slicks; instead, they're a who's who of folk singer/songwriters trying to capture the feeling of the songs without doing multiple takes; it sounds very live--even a little rough--as we might expect from folk music. They've clearly succeeded in their delivery.
I'm delighted by several songs I'd not heard before: Ian Tyson's "Summer Wages" and the Rush/Von Schmidt tune "Wasn't That a Mighty Storm"--as well as songs I've heard, don't know where, whose existence I'm glad to remember: "Walk Right Back" (has a love left you?--listen to this), and "I still miss someone" (a heartbreaker if any)--and old favorites well delivered in "Deportee" and "If I had a Hammer." Nanci, of course, recruited nothing but the best musicians (and songwriters) to back these up as evidenced by the fine dual guitar of Clive Gregson and Doug Lancio on "Wall of Death," the turn-of-the-century sounding slide on "Storm," the soulful singing of Tom Russell on "Summer Wages" and the ethereal backing vocals on "Yarrington Town."
I've had this recording for a couple years now and haven't yet tired yet of these fine songs and their fine delivery. Thank you, Nanci Griffith for putting together all these wonderful songs for us to enjoy.
on August 5, 2003
I've been a Nancy Griffith fan since her first recordings on Rounder Records and have seen her live more times than you can shake a stick at. When she left Rounder for the big time, I wasn't all that impressed. Fame, apparently, has it's costs. But time has treated her well and I really like this album. It has a ton of variety in both its songs and the musicians that participated. Nancy's voice is aging to perfection, with less of the cutesy nasality than in her youth and more body to the tone. This is a fun album of folk classics.
on July 27, 1998
As with the first "Other Voices" project, Nanci Griffith has recorded a collection of songs old and new with the help of the Blue Moon Orchestra, the song writers, and a host of other artists. Arrangements range from the spare ("Darcy Farrow," with Nanci accompanied only by Pat MacInerney's percussion, and several cuts with guitar, keyboards and not much else) to the overcrowded ("He Was A Friend of Mine," with Dave von Ronk and an out of harmony and rhythm cast of half a dozen other singers). This is less of a polished studio recording than a "live" album, an effect Nanci also sought in last year's "Blue Roses From the Moons." Likewise, the songs selected range from the old and familiar ("If I Had a Hammer," "Walk Right Back") to new and challenging ("Dress of Laces"). Overall, the set is a little rough around the edges, but intentionally so; several of the songs sound like first take! s. Although the inclusion of so many performers get distracting (especially if one listens while reading the liner notes), Nanci's desire to do tribute to the artists and songs that have influnced her music generally works well. Those not familiar with Nanci would do better to begin with one of her eariler albums, perhaps the first "Other Voices," which is a cleaner and more accessible recording. But old folk and traditional music fans and old friends of Nanci should find, as I did, that this is a very satisfying album and an interesting insight into the artist always in progress that is Nanci Griffith.
on February 15, 2003
There are 73 minutes in this cd, but it could have been a much better cd at 50 minutes, some songs are great, others just are not so good, not enough to be in a CD. But this cd will always be important for collectors, in it you'll find the best version of Guy Clark's Desperadoes waiting for a train, with a cast including JJ Walker, JD Guilmore, S Earle, Guy Clark,
other in this cd include Lucinda williams, Tom Russell, Richard Thomspon, Ian Tyson, a great cast of songwriters and singers.
on August 2, 1998
Perhaps my review is a bit prejudiced in that I have been a fan of Nancy's for years and feel that her music gets better and better. "Other Voices, Too" is a wonderful blend of down home country and stirring folk ballads; second volume of the very successful release entitled "Other Voices,Other Rooms" released in 1992. "Other Rooms, Too" carries on the tradition of heartfelt storytelling in music as only Nancy can do it. "Try The Love" by Pat McLaughlin is a favorite. McLaughlin and Ms Griffith sing togather on this wonderful call back to the love that was "once hidden." One of my personal favorites, "If I Had A Hammer" written by Pete Seeger and Lee Hayes inspires the listener to consider, once again, the legacy of fighting for justice that became the political voice of the volatile 60's social movements. Nancy, joined by Odetta, Gillian Welch and many others makes the listener want to once again take to th! e streets in protest of injustice. Not since Peter, Paul and Mary's rendition of the song has there been a better and more moving commentary. James Hookers piano and Ron De La Vega's Bass have established the Blue Moon Orchestera (Nancy's Band) as a serious and artful band, able to blend the new and the old in a way that is exciting, making the listener anticipate the next release.
on July 28, 1998
I loved "Other Voices I." But, while that album had a natural, settin'-round-the-campfire feel, "Voices II" sounds forced -- as if Nanci's trying to cram too many singers and songs into one CD. For example, "Desperadoes Waiting for a Train" almost sounds like a Highwaymen song, with no less than six singers trading leads, sometimes in the middle of sentences, never harmonizing, never connecting. I admire the range of material and singers represented -- an "A" for effort. But, as far as pure listening enjoyment, well, I have to rank this significantly lower than that.....
on July 23, 1998
Personally, I'd buy an album of this woman sneezing cuz there just isen't anybody else that can touch her. This album is a sequel to the marvelous Other Voices, Other Rooms from a few years back. This time, Nanci sounds like she's having a lot more fun- but the album suffers a little for it. The album is FULL of guest vocals and while I like many of the musicians I found myself a little disappointed by songs that Nanci did little more than harmonize on. Instead of labeling this a Nanci Griffith album, more appropriately, it should have been credited to "Nanci Griffith and Friends". This is what kept me from giving the album 5 stars. Now, as for what is GOOD about the album. Well, there's Nancis voice, which never seems to fail her. There are some standouts, like Nancis version of "Darcy Farrow" and the painfully beautiful "Dress of Laces"which features a lovely harmony vocal from Lyle Lovett. There are a few of my favorite old folk class! ics like "Deportee" and "I Still Miss Someone". "Walk Right Back" is fun. "Yarrington Town" is a great song and sounds great from Nanci. I quite enjoy the group vocal on "Desperados Waiting For A Train", but again there was not enough vocal from Nanci herself on this one. I would reccomend this album to any old Nanci fan, "Dress of Laces" is reason enough to buy it, but would suggest to anyone new to Nanci to first check out one of her other offerings such as Storms or the live album or Flyer or even the first Other Voices record.
on February 6, 2013
I bought this album because I saw an old Letterman YouTube video of Guy, Nancy, JJeff....singing Guy Clark's DESPERADOES WAITING FOR THE TRAIN. It was fantastic. Had no clue who Nancy Griffith was. This album lead me to buying the other of this series. It is fabulous and my husband and I sing along like we can, whenever we play it. Beautiful songs and it sounds like the artists had a fabulous time making this album. Worth every cent and more.