Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 16, 2013
This is the 3rd Otis book, but you need not have read the others. It is a big enough book that it can fit on 2 laps. It has nice illustrations, with simple details and colours. There is not too much print on each page, so that young readers get tired of listening or frustrated before they can turn the page.
Two year olds would like to have the story read to them; 7 year olds can probably read most of it by themselves.

It is good to present farm stories to children who have not been on a farm and even nicer to have a story mentioning being afraid of the dark and it's okay, but you can be brave too.
It is a story of friendship and kindness between Otis, the tractor and the new puppy on the farm. It's a pleasant story that even older folks can enjoy.
on March 18, 2013
I love reading the Otis books to my son, and I think this is the best one yet -- the pictures are great, as always, and the story is similar to the first Otis and Otis and the Tornado, but this the most fun to read aloud; there's a good feeling for the sounds of the words to match the mood in each scene. The pacing is perfect and keeps even a very young, squirmy kid glued to his seat.
on May 14, 2013
Loren Long has a gift for telling sweet, timeless stories. His books feel like tales that I grew up with, and my parents grew up with, and probably my grandparents grew up with. My son enjoys them now, and I'm sure he will enjoy reading them to his children. Writing stories like that takes skill, talent and a particular gift.

Before writing this review, I went back to read what I wrote for my review of the first Otis book. This was my first sentence: This is one of the books that I bought solely because I love, love, LOVE the artwork. That is mostly true of Otis and the Puppy, except now I knew that I would be getting a lovely story to go with the sumptuous and absolutely perfect illustrations.
on May 9, 2013
Otis has been a favorite in our household ever since the first book came out. I think I have read them hundreds of times much to the delight of my little ones. They did not react well to Otis and the Puppy. In fact, they did not sit mesmorized as with the two earlier books. This story is repetitive and it adds no sense of excitement as did Otis and the Tornedo. We won't give up on this author but I hope the next book is an improvement.
on March 13, 2013
I fell in love with Otis the tractor after reading the first book. And I've loved the sequels equally well. This is such a sweet story about friendship and facing one's fears for the sake of someone else. Both Otis and his friend, the puppy, are afraid of the dark, but when the puppy gets lost, Otis must face his fear or leave his friend alone in the dark all night. I also loved the idea at the end that those things we fear aren't so scary when we face them with those we love. The story is beautifully written and would be great for sharing. The large size makes it especially appropriate for sharing with larger groups. The illustrations are gorgeous. It's amazing how much expression that Long gives his characters, especially Otis and the puppy. The large beautiful illustrations clearly show the tender relationship between Otis and his friends and especially between Otis and the puppy. My favorite picture shows the puppy asleep with his head resting on Otis's front tire. Highly recommended.
on July 2, 2015
Last night while typing my four year old son came in and asked what I was doing with his books. I told him I'm trying to help other mommy and daddy's find books for their kids. He ran off and brought me "Otis," telling me to show you this one.

Otis is the tractor. Otis lives on a farm and loves it. He works hard, but at the end of his day loves to play and make friends. In this story a baby Calf comes to the farm. Otis and the calf become friends. In the story Otis is replaced with a new tractor. Otis gets sad and doesn't interact with the calf or anyone else until the calf is stuck in a mud puddle. Loren Long did an excellent job of showing how even when we don't think we are needed or wanted we still are.

This story if a fun take on a tractor. My son loves to tell me what is going on based on the pictures instead of me reading the story. The images follow the story really well. Your able to tell looking at Otis that he is a fun nice tractor.

Otis is a series with Otis being the first book. Each book has some lesson hid in it, but also about a new friend Otis makes. The only other Otis we own in "Otis and the puppy." I would recommend both books for any kid that likes animals, farms, or tractors.

For more reviews see: reviewbydesign.blogspot.com
on November 20, 2014
We purchased this book when my son was one years old and have purchased an additional book to provide as a gift. The story line and illustrations are engaging. I like how unlike a lot of the other books we have, this one is larger. We have purchased others in the Otis series.
on August 31, 2013
My boys and I love all the Otis books. He is lovable, fun, and encourages my boys to be good friends and heroically help those in need. Of all three Otis books, I think we love Otis and the Tornado the most, but they are all among our favorite books.
on April 25, 2016
Otis and the Puppy is a good book for your little ones. If you have read the first Otis do not expect the same nostalgia from this book. It's good but not quite on the same level as the original. Almost seems rushed and doesn't have the same rhythmic feel as the first.
on May 5, 2013
Otis, the tractor, loves the little farm where he lives. Once his work is complete he loves playing with his friends, the farm animals. Hide and seek is his favorite game. But Otis makes sure he is home every evening before dark. One evening the farmer presents a new animal to the menagerie, a little puppy. Puppy is scared of the dark, just like Otis. So they soon become friends as they share a spot in the barn together. But when Puppy becomes lost in the woods after dark, Otis must overcome his fear of the dark to help his friend find a way home.

This is a delightful story that will entertain children while showing them the meaning of true friendship and overcoming fears. The illustrations are imaginative and fit perfectly with the story line. The book is perfect for reading to small children, but the words are simple enough for a 1st grader to be able read alone.

I received this book free of charge from Children's Lit in exchange for my honest review.