5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect portable light for fabric shopping!
Published on December 15, 2010 by AmyH

1.0 out of 5 stars Bright but flawed!!
I love the brightness, but other design flaws make it problematic.
Pros:
Very Bright and small
Cons:
Must use a screwdriver to change batteries
Hinge in battery case easily broken
Uses 3 AAA batteries
Published on October 15, 2011 by Sam Gummy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect portable light for fabric shopping!, December 15, 2010
AmyH (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OttLite 490G59 LED Mini Flip Lite in Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
I'm a little obsessed with Ottlites, and I have complained for years about the lighting conditions in fabric stores. So I was so excited when the portable Ottlite came out. Its about the size of pagers when they first came out. But its not as heavy (I don't think). I usually keep it in my car. It does exactly what I have wanted for a long time. The lighting in some fabric stores is just ridiculous, How am I supposed to decide what fabric to buy when I can barely see it?! (I'm 27, so it is really not a matter of my eyes not working) So if you ever have a need for sunlight-like lighting on the go, this Ottlite is perfect. And it has LED lights, so it hasn't been a huge battery hog. I haven't replaced my batteries yet, I've had the light a few months, and use it pretty regularly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bright but flawed!!, October 15, 2011
Sam Gummy "bosho12" (Berkeley, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
I love the brightness, but other design flaws make it problematic.
Pros:
Very Bright and small
Cons:
Must use a screwdriver to change batteries
Hinge in battery case easily broken
Uses 3 AAA batteries
Is a battery hog due to its faulty on/off flip closure,which will not turn off the light 100% when you think it is closed draining batteries rapidly. Unit needs an on/off button.
Clip on unit is not big or strong enough for multiple uses

I wanted to use it on my car visor, but the clip is too short. I even put a rubber band around it to keep it "off" when closed,but it still requires 100% attention to make sure its off and really closed.
The size is just not quite right somehow for multiple uses. I never had a "flashlight" I had to think about to turn off. This one has created its own category in that regard. You'll also have to buy 12 packs of batteries to accommodate it as it takes three at a time. AAA's are only sold in 2,4,8 and 12 packs.

5.0 out of 5 stars ya, cool!!, October 15, 2011
To Mr Sam Gummy who just posted, Fulcrum Multi-Flex LED Task Light - maybe this one would work better attached to your car visor? (i've tried clipping things to sun visors like sunglass cases and sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not) This ott lite is really designed to be clipped onto a belt.

I just got gifted this one in blue and i had to read the instructions on how to open it.. that back part slides forward a bit and then flips up (i wouldn't have figured that out without the instruction paper).. and yes, you need at least one fingernail (i use my thumbnail) to pull it open, and yes, you have to SNAP it shut.. hear it click (unless you can't hear, so you then really have to look and feel if it is closed (no gaps).

Very bright... yay! i can see i am going to have more than one! I have lots of ott lamps (desk, floorlamp, arc, rechargeable) but to have something this small and portable.. what a joy to be able to illuminate dark places.

For some reason i think that this would have been great a thousand years ago when i was a kid, you know, when you were reading under the covers with a flashlight so your parents thought you're already asleep..though come to think of it, maybe you could still read under the covers if your bed partner is wanting to sleep and yelling at you to turn the lights out, i wonder... hmm some things never change.

oh, one more thing ATTENTION ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO THINK YOU NEED GLASSES? I am telling you! Probably not... i find if i can't read something, i get under an ott lite, and i can read it just fine!!!! so get one!! (or two.. or..).

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Bright, October 14, 2011
The flip light is really, really bright! I am a Flight Attendant and passengers are always loosing things on night flights. It also enables me to see through the metal grating seat frame to underneath the seat to find things that have dropped through. If you can't see it with this light, you aren't going to find it. It is a tiny bit on the heavy side, but I love that it has a strong spring clip on the back. I had to go down a dark hotel staircase which was very poorly lit with one dim emergency light on each landing...this flashlight clipped onto my pants waist band in the open/on position and illuminated the steps for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars OttLite---True color and bright!, July 31, 2011
I have purchased a few of these lights. I have one that I use myself when clothes or fabric shopping to see what the "true" color of the items are (store lighting is often horrible ans not a very good representation of correct color!)
I have also given them as gifts always with great feedback from the recipient. My mother is in her 80's and added a long string at the hinge and places it around her neck when she crochets at night. I have sever OttLites in different styles and am always pleased with the lighting quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ott-Lite review, January 27, 2011
I love the portability of this Ott-Lite. Although the clamp broke shortly after getting it out of the box, I am still able to use it and I use it often. I even carry it in my purse.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke immediately., January 23, 2013
Out of the package the clip immediately broke off, it does not stand so can't really be used. cheapest plastic possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars OttLite 490G59 LED Mini Flip Lite, July 8, 2012
Jane E. Sigurdson (Reno, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great little light that clips, for me, right onto my collar so that I can see my crochet work that is of a dark yarn. It's hard to see the loops in regular lite rooms. With this light I can see each of the loops that I need to work. I will be buying more in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars not the quality I would expect from OttLite, January 11, 2013
Very poor quality. I had read this on the internet but thought perhaps people we being too harsh. The litght is good but the case is worthless. The clip broke the first day and the flip part doesn't seat very well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Glad I didn't pay for it, January 7, 2013
Helen Hardwick (EL DORADO HILLS, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Piece of junk. I won it at my quilt guild. It took two pairs of scissors and a knife to get it out of the sharp edged plastic package. Batteries are not included so you have to purchase them separately. The closure/switch is either closed too tightly to open or misaligned so that it stays partly open and wastes batteries. Haven't found a convenient tool to open the battery compartment. My thinnest screwdriver will not do it. It may be bright but there are too many design flaws to make it useful. Ask the flight attendant if she wants another one. Pay the postage and it is hers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›