Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

Showing 1-10 of 93 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon January 30, 2010
I bought mine 5 or 6 years ago as well and recently decided to get another as a gift. This lamp is no gimmick, it's the real deal. It is very bright and truly does make it easier to read, see what you're doing, and so on. It's well worth the asking price. The bulbs last a long time and these lamps use very little power, so they are cheap to operate. They are well made, too.

I took the time to post this review because I like to recognize products that actually deliver what is promised and are a good value.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2009
I received this OTT Lite around 1999 or 2000 and to this day, I haven't changed the lightbulb once and it still works! The color of the lighting is fabulous and it doesn't hurt your eyes. I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking a really versatile lamp that is easy to use and easy on the eyes! (Not to mention the whole - it's almost lasted a decade on one bulb thing)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2010
Bought this about 6 years ago. It's survived 7 moves along the east coast. It has the original bulb and burns brightly. It's a great desk lite. Highly recommended for anything from working on electronics to studying/reading.
on February 6, 2011
OttLite was an early researcher and early producer of full-spectrum lighting, and they do it well. This lamp is small, full-spectrum, and energy efficient. This means that it won't take up a lot of desk space, it is easy on the eyes and reduces fatigue, and it uses a 13W fluorescent bulb to produce light equivalent to a standard 60W incandescent bulb. As a teacher who reads and writes most of the day (and sometimes the night) I appreciate all of these features. The bulb is also long-lasting, being rated for up to 10,000 hours of use. Unlike the screw-in fluorescent bulbs, this lamp has the ballast in the stand rather than in the base of the bulb itself. This reduces heat in the bulb and so probably extends its life. Note that the fluorescent bulb contains mercury and so must be disposed of as hazardous waste when it wears out. I find this lamp to be beneficial in every way and highly recommend it.
on November 12, 2010
I saw my sister using this light for when she works at her desk. I told her how sleepy I get when doing homework. She explained how improper lighting can cause eyestrain which causes drowsiness. She was right! This light helps me to get through my homework without getting sleepy. It gives off a nice bright light that is not harsh or hard on my eyes.
on March 25, 2011
I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the Ott-Lite I purchased. I have poor vision and was having trouble reading in dim light. This little Ott-Lite changed everything. I have it sitting on my kitchen table, open it up and can read while i have breakfast again.

Many years ago I had purchased an Ott-Lite for my drawing table. It, too, was amazing. I don't know why it took me so long to get one for my kitchen table. I wish all my lights in the house were Ott-Lites. I have not had to change my drawing table Ott-Lite yet and it has been years. I hope that is the case with this little Ott-Lite.

I like the modern design. You just lift up the front portion to turn it on, then lower it to turn it off. It seems sturdy and nicely built. Well worth the reasonable price. I love that it can swivel, too.Ott-Lite L139AB 13-Watt VisionSaver+ High Definition Task Lamp with Swivel Base, Black
on October 6, 2010
The lamp is everything I wanted for a task light to sit on my desk and illuminate papers an my keyboard. The light is clear, without heat. Looks great, classy, no like cheap imitations found a Walmart and other discount stores. The illumination is bright enough. Would also be a great hobby, task, or piano lamp. The flip up design is easy and fun. Highly recommend - very pleased. I purchased this lamp about three months ago. You may want to comparison shop for the lamp and the bulb replacement - both are available at other sites. The lamp price is good here but the bulb is less elsewhere.

Update - it is two years later, and i still only have praise for this lamp. Have not had to change the bulb at all, and I use it daily for a few hours at least. Excellent product.

Update itis now more than 3 years, still great, have not replaced bulb.... Good value
on December 27, 2011
- Excellent/True Light
- Reduced Eye Strain
- Small Footprint
- Flexibility to Direct Light: Swivel & Flip-up

- Expensive Bulbs (but worth it)

I have two OttLite L139ABs, both about 7 years old. They have performed without fail in desktop environments with long hours of computer work. I have not experienced the switch-problem mentioned in some reviews. Both lamps have experienced heavy, non-stop daily use, delivering hours of non-glare, true color light with minimal or no eyestrain. Both are used in confined spaces where desktop real estate is at a premium, making full-use of the flexibility to swivel and flip the lamp up 180 degrees.

In my experience, the bulbs have not lasted as long as some reviews have stated, probably half the time, about 3 years. But the difference may be that these lamps have had very heavy day-to-day use. The bulbs are not cheap but are what make an OttLite an OttLite and worth every penny considering the alternatives of eye strain and headaches.

The saying you get what you pay for applies here (and maybe more so since this light is now about $20 cheaper than when I purchased my initial two). My Wife also has a floor stand OttLite version for her sewing machine that uses the same bulb and it has performed equally as well.
on August 18, 2011
I just tossed my original OTT Lite, which was probably close to 10 years old and still with the original lamp, and ordered a new replacement. The reason I had to discard it wasn't a problem with the OTT itself, it was that the pins on the lamp had, over the course of that decade, welded themselves to the socket. Even though the lamp was still working fine, I felt the color temperature had probably drifted somewhat over time, and so wanted to change out the fluorescent lamp even if it was still working. But when I finally got the lamp out, it had separated from the pins, leaving them still firmly in the socket!

With such a long life that the OTT and low-wattage fluorescent lamps have together, it might not be a bad idea to R&R the lamp every few months to prevent this electrolytic "welding" of lamp pins to socket. Also, one other tip: I use mine for color-critical work on occasion, such as looking at test photo prints, and over time, the small amount of heat generated by the lamp will discolor the plastic reflector behind it, especially if you leave it on for long periods at a time.

My solution was to line the discolored reflector with some heavy-duty aluminum foil. Then the only thing that gets reflected is the pure light from the lamp with nothing to alter its color. You can fold up some foil and play with it until it sort of stays in place, but it'll keep falling out on occasion. A way to fix that is to form it to fit, trim it precisely with scissors, then tack it in place with some super glue. If you use the shiny side of the foil, you may get some hot spots from the unavoidable crinkles you'll get when handling the foil, which then catch the light and spread it around unevenly. To get a nice, even reflection, use the dull side. And the light will be a bit stronger, too, because the reflected light is off highly reflective foil, not white plastic.

Of course, if color accuracy isn't why you need an OTT, they're still great, handy little task lamps, and you can simply ignore everything above--except I'd still remove and replace the lamp every once in a while so yours doesn't die a premature death like mine did! Oh, well, I'll have new one in just a few days...
on September 3, 2011
I'm back here to order another Ott desk/task lamp. Baby Boomers of a certain age may need a more natural light to see and read - at least this Boomer does! It's sturdy but lightweight, is smartly designed, and I like all the ways the lamp light can be directed. It can light up a large area or a small space. I don't know if I'll hang one on a wall, but it can easily be done. I'm obviously sold on the product.

UPDATE: My two lamps work vey well, and I can now say that they can be dropped, come apart, and can be put back together, no harm done. I was certain that the bulb would have been broken, but even that survived the big drop. If only other products were as well made...