8,935 Reviews
 (1,006)

1,600 of 1,636 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Defender or Commuter? An Honest Opinion
Published on March 7, 2012 by kylemag

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute case but a nightmare for girls!
Published on November 30, 2011 by Mar

1,600 of 1,636 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Defender or Commuter? An Honest Opinion, March 7, 2012
Protecting a $200 phone is quite a formidable task and a lot of cell phone case companies do not seem to understand protection. They strive for style, design, and aesthetics. To me, this is all nonsense. Otterbox understands the principle of protection better than any other company making these types of products. Fuction is what I am looking for and and this company produces fuctioning cell phone cases. These 4S generation cases share an improved design, mainly with the camera area. I think people were complaining about shadowed pictures and video due to the tight camera cut out. They widened it to ensure the new 8MP camera with not be hindered by a design flaw.

First, the defender technically provides more protection than the commuter and also comes with a handy holster with a clip. However, the defender is bulky and the port covers do not stay as well as the model for the 3GS. Also, I am not a fan of the defender because of the screen protector it comes with. Eventually, particles of dust or grit will work their way into your case and be sandwiched between the screen and the hard plastic film. Then, friction from your finger will scratch the screen up pretty bad (this happened to me). To make matters worse, I put a Zagg shield on it and it basically fused with the screen protector on the defender. I needed to pry the phone off the case and, while doing so, lifted the glass of the phone, creating permanant air pockets in my screen. Not a good scenario at all. The anti-glar films sold at the apple store, however, work fine because they have a smoother, less sticky surface. I would not reccomend this case at all, though, without these screen protectors because without a screen protector, air bubbles will form and distort your view and scratches on the screen will occur. But, if you work construction or another potentially hazardous job, this case with the anti-glare screen protectors may be a better choice then the Commuter series of cases.

The Commuter, on the other hand, offers a balance between versitility and protection. With this case, I can use my Zagg shield and is not peeled up by the case like many do. Also, I love the soft shell on the inside and the hard shell outside. The soft inner allows the port and button covers to be attached to the case and function propperly. This also helps absorb shock. The hard shell allows the phone to slide in and out of pockets very easily, even out of tighter jeans. In addition, it has a much thinner profile than the defender but still provides adequate protection. The ports are still protected from water and it can take a tumble. I've dropped my 4S about 4 times with this case on it, on hard surfaces from pretty significant hieghts (5 feet or so on some) and the case barely even shows it let alon the phone wrapped up inside. Also, by flipping the phone face down, the exposed inner rubber case prevents it from slipping if you needed it to stay put, for instance, in a car. For the average person, the commuter is the superior choice.

However, both cases with the lighter colored silicon soft shells, like white and grey, get dirty easily. They even get stained from dye in jeans. Not a huge deal to me, but might be to some. Overall, these are the two best cases on the market for the iPhone and believe me, I have researched and read up on them all. You must simply decide what your needs are for a case and make your decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best iPhone 4S case in the market!, December 12, 2011
I am very experienced with all the iPhone Otterbox case designs (the defender series, commuter series, and now the APL4 Commuter series) because I have purchased all three, the first two for my iPhone 4 and then the last for my iPhone 4S. I would definitely have to say the Otterbox APL4 Commuter Series Hybrid Case is the best fitting, most protective, and most practical case for the iPhone 4 and 4S.
The defender series is just too bulky, it takes away from the sleek slim look of the iPhone. My defender series actually broke a few months after purchasing from normal wear and tear, even though that series is supposed to be the best protective.
The first generation of the commuter series was a very good case. It was slimmer, while still being protective, but it didn't fit as well as I would like it to.
Now to the Otterbox APL4 Commuter Series Hybrid Case. It just topped the other otter box cases by far. The case fits perfectly and looks great. It show the slim and sleek look of the iPhone 4 but still protecting it. With the hard plastic outer case it doesn't stick when you try to put it in your pocket or pull it out. With this case you can drop it on pavement without breaking (none from experience). Therefore, I highly suggest iPhone users to buy this case over any others. Don't waste your money on the other cases like I did and go with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, November 25, 2011
I bought this for my iPhone 4S. I am happy with the case. The color does not look exactly like the picture, however; the case is actually a lighter blue and not as green. Still, it looks really nice and goes great with my white iPhone. I gave this case 4 stars instead of 5 because the plastic is slippery-- I was hoping it would have more grip. I feel like it could easily slip out of my hands. Additionally, it takes some effort to get the silicone to align with the plastic, and it never exactly lines up quite right, leaving gaps and slightly sharp edges where the two materials meet. This is barely noticeable though.

What I like about this case is that it feels sturdy, yet it isn't so bulky that it cannot fit into my tight jeans. I obviously try to avoid dropping my phone so I haven't seen how well it protects from impacts. Still, I'm pretty confident it'll protect my phone when I inevitably drop it. The silicone plug covers are nice, although the USB cover never seems to fit quite right. Also, the USB cover makes it impossible to dock the phone into an ihome unless you take the case off. Also, the hole on the back of the case that exposes the apple logo leaves the back vulnerable to scratches. I already have a front screen protector so I cut a hole in the back of the otterbox screen protector for the camera and put it on the back of my phone to protect from scratches.

Overall, I would recommend this case to friends and am happy I purchased it.

!! UPDATE: So I've been using this case for about a month and I have to say I still love it. I've dropped it a couple times from waist height onto both tile and hardwood, and the case fully protected my phone. The case is also in perfect condition despite the drops. I recommend this case to clumsy people like myself. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect case for me., November 14, 2011
Got a new 4s and originally bought the Defender Series Case. While that is a great case, it just wasn't the type for me. The Commuter case is. Still feels like you are holding an iPhone in your hand. All the buttons still work great, and the headphone and charger cover fit and stay snug until you are ready to use it. That was one of the issues that I had with my defender case. The covers wouldn't stay in place all the time and kept coming out. Overall, I highly recommend this case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute case but a nightmare for girls!, November 30, 2011
I was really looking forward to receiving this case. It was not available for shipping when I bought it but I was adamant that this was the one I wanted so I patiently waited over a month for the case to become availbale. WLoved the purple color of the case and the fact that the case is both silicone and polycarbonate appealed to me, being as I'm a huge fan of silicone cases. I also liked the fact that this case was less bulky and easier to store in my pocket or purse. I feel like it offers adequate protection without adding unnecessary bulk. I also like that the case doesn't have a clear film in the front and instead just has a standard screen protector. Now on to the problems. The back of the case, where the cutout is for the apple logo is not protected by a clear film, as is the case for the Defender series of cases. This sincerely freaked me out because I am so afraid about anything happening to my phone. I cut out a piece of a screen protector and placed it over the opening. but it would just be so much better if the case already provided such protection. While I like that the case has silicone plugs to cover the base and the audio jack, the one for the audio jack is kind of difficult to lift and once you're done it doesn't nclick into place it just kind of sits there all crooked. Perhaps my biggest grip with this case, and girls, beware, is the fact that the white detailing on the phone is made of silicone. For the Defender cases, the white is polycarbonate and the exterior is silicone. With this case what encases the phone is white silicone, which eans every time you touch it, it gets dirty. I've only had my case for 3 days and it is already grimy. This is especially upsetting because as a girl, every time you hold the phone or hold it up to your ear makeup comes off and stains the case. I find myself constantly cleaning it off throughout the day because I hate that it always looks dirty. This is a real problem for me and I wanted people to know that before purchasing the case. It's a good case, but just be ready for it go getdirty right away. Had I known about this, it would have probably made me think twice about getting this case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Commuter vs. Defender? Which is better?, March 7, 2012
This review is from: OtterBox Commuter Series Case for iPhone 4/4S - Retail Packaging - Hot Pink/White (Wireless Phone Accessory)

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake Otterboxes, January 14, 2012
I already own a Otterbox Commuter case for my Iphone 4s and I love it. I purchased the same case in a different color for my boyfriend, and I immediately realized it was a fake. First, the box was halfway open, and the case was backwards in the box. Second, the silicone case was very cheap and flimsy. It did not fit snug around the phone, and the sides were really loose. As a result, the hard case would not snap onto the silicon case, especially on the sides. If you order a case, make sure it is not a fake! Fake cases are "made in China" and you can read the Otterbox symbol through the inside of the outside case. You can also see the seam running along the edges of the silicone case. The hard case is also really pliable. A real Otterbox case is "made in the US" and the silicone case does not have a seam on the edges. You also cannot see the Otterbox symbol through the back of the hard case. I ordered my product from Amazon Prime, assuming I would receive a quality case. I do not know if I would have realized this case was a fake, but since I compared it to my case, I could immediately tell it was of subpar quality. If I wanted a fake case, I would pay way less than 20 dollars for one, however, I do not want to risk dropping my Iphone while it only has the protection of a fake case. Amazon has a great return policy, so I will return this product, and hope that next time I will receive the real product, and not just a cheap imitation. The actual Otterbox will receive four stars from me, but the fake version receives one star.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Only Options Available for the iPhone 4 (white), March 29, 2012
I have the white version of the iPhone 4. I had originally ordered an Otterbox defender, because I wanted maximum bang for my buck when it came to protection. I had some problems with that, while not advertised on the Amazon site (at the time maybe this has changed) the Defender WILL NOT FIT the iPhone 4 white version. So i shipped, that back and opted for the Commuter shown here.

I don't overly abuse my phone. I'm not mountain climbing. I'm probably never going to be in a circumstance to use my phone as cannon ammunition. And I doubt I'm climbing to the top of the Empire State Building and accidentally knocking my phone off the edge and into the city below. BUT I am prone to setting it in my lap in the car forgetting its there and throwing it to the street by accident as I rise from my seat. Actually, I've done this more times than I'd like to count :3 I have knocked it off a table, had it fallen out of my pocket, actually just been down right clumsy and fiddled it right out of my hands (its not slippery in design I'm just THAT good when it comes to dropping my phone).

Well, alright, in all fairness I'm not really all that abnormally clumsy, this is just what happens when you handle something as often and for as long as I handle my phone. Stuff is going to happen because Life happens. Well, first few times i dropped this (especially when it accidentally makes itself acquainted with pavement) I was sick. No waaaay the phone was going to escape unscathed. To my delight and great shock, there was never so much as a scratch on the actual phone. So hip hip HORRAY!! Now when it drops, I just roll eyes at the convenience of having to pick the darn thing up.

I've had the case now that I'm using for 9 months and my phone is still in excellent condition. At the price Amazon sells this product you can't afford to say no. I do keep insurance on my phone through my cell provider just in case (cause I'm a firm believer if you have something you probably won't ever need it if you don't have it thats when you find you will). I believe my deductible from accidents is $100+ to replace my phone and truly believe that without Otterbox protection I would have had to meet that deductible by now at the very least once.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

So quick outline of the PROs and CONs

PROs:
*Fits the iPhone 4 white version
*More compact than the Defender (fits in a wallet phone case or in your pocket)
*Its not annoying silicon that if you put it to your ear you might find it sticking and pulling your hair (yeah I'm a girl and that does matter)
*Definitely holds up to its end of the durability bargain- Without a scratch to my phone its been dropped onto hardwood floors, pavement, etc.

CONs:
*Not heavy duty as the Defender- don't even look at this if you find yourself working on construction sites. The Defender is a FULL casing. The Commuter is NOT. Consider the Commuter as normal wear and tear dropping insurance. The only reason you want to be a bit more protective of phones now is that they really are mini computers. Phone's today aren't the tanks of cells from days gone by like Nokia flip phone's- that people will probably be using as brick substitutes in the future.
*Drop it too hard and the outer hard plastic casing can/will crack. This is what happened to me. My phone is very happy and in perfect condition. My case hit the ground so hard that it cracked. I am very happily replacing mine with another Otterbox commuter (in another color-yay a bit of variety) just because I want to make sure that the weakness of a cracked case won't hurt my phone in the long run. This isn't an uncommon problem in these cases. But come on lets be honest with each other.... I'm sure every one of us would much rather replace a $20 case every so often verses a $700 phone (and yes ik you probably paid $200 at the time of your renewal for your iPhone but without that resign up discount these fabulous phones pack a whopping $700+ price ticket)
*While there are a variety of colors and combinations to chose from. The Otterboxes are kind of plain when it comes to displaying personality. Sometimes I'm a little sad :( at the fact I don't get the cute happy cases like I see some people toting but even so I find functionality to trump fashion any day of the week.

In closing: Otterbox Commuter ROCKS as a day to day regular use insurance policy for your phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Case Closed!, March 23, 2012
Everyone is looking for something different in a phone case and what they are looking for will greatly affect their opinion of that case. With that said, I wanted a case that would offer quality protection without adding a significant amount of bulk to my iPhone. I also wanted a case that was not made exclusively of silicone as this design can make it difficult to remove the phone from your pocket.

I ordered several cases before I found the one I was looking for. I first tried the iPhone 4/4S Ballistic Shell Gel (SG) Series Case. I must say that this is an awesome case. It's sleek and a tad bit thinner then the Otter Box Commuter design. The back panel is tough and the case really feels good in your hand. The extended corner bumpers are nice but they do give the case an odd looking appearance. However, the point of any case is protection and the Ballistic Shell Gel fell short because of one reason, the top and bottom edges of the silicone layer slips and can expose the top and bottom edges of your iPhone (essentially exposing the most sensitive area of the phone to serious damage if dropped). The polycarbonate shell was not snug enough to prevent the silicone from slipping and exposing the phone's surface. This is a major design flaw that I could not overlook regardless of how nice this case felt in my hands. If Ballistic can correct this issue, I would rank it as high as the Commuter series.

I then tried the original Otter Box Commuter case design but it was defective and Amazon returned it for a full refund. However, I did get a good look at the case and it was of excellent quality but had a few draw backs that were minor but noticeable. The biggest problem I had with this case was that the polycarbonate shell was not curved at the top and bottom and left the corners of the phone a bit more exposed than I'd like. This was a minor issue and I was prepared to re-order the same case and call it a day.

However, after I returned that version of the case I noticed that Otter Box had come out with a new design for the iPhone 4S Commuter series. The new design is now curved at the top and bottom (as opposed to the old straight version) covering the corners and effectively addressing the one concern I had regarding the original Commuter design. The curved edge design offers extra protection at the corners without adding any bulk. The new curved polycarbonate shell design fits very snugly and securely holds the silicone layer in place creating a bevel so your iPhone will never lay flat on its screen even when it's placed flat on a table. In addition to these improvements, the opening for the camera lens in much larger but still offers great protection.

The one drawback that people seem to always mention is that the silicone layer attracts dust. This is true but it dissipates after about a month of use and should not deter you from making this your choice for iPhone 4 protection as the dust is only a temporary issue. I have used the new Otter Box Commuter case for the past few months and it's great. It allows me quick access to my iPhone from my pocket at all times and the polycarbonate shell combined with the silicone layer offers great protection in a sleek and easy to use design.

I highly recommend the new Otter Box Commuter case for the iPhone 4S.

5.0 out of 5 stars I ejected my iPhone from my road bike at 30mph and it survived, June 24, 2012
I ejected my iphone, which I use as a cyclocomputer with some Bluetooth sensors, today on my morning ride. I was using a "friction grip" bike mount that released on a rough patch on my big downhill. I was clocking about 30 mph when I saw the iPhone become a bouncing ball across the pavement 6 or 7 times coming to rest on the yellow line. I held my breath as I dismounted, dodged cars and collected the phone.

It was in 1 piece, and only took one little chip on the aluminum near the mute switch. I'm guessing that corner was the initial impact. There were many scratches and tears in the plastic back and rubber, the case went through the ringer and I'm definitely going to replace it as its bent and too torn up to hold comfortably or slip into a pocket without catching fabric.

I did not use the otter screen film, I used the Zagg shield which I have excellent experience with from my last phone. The screen survived, no cracks or scratches made it brought he film. The film is destroyed, though, when I picked up the phone and looked at it I was very scared but I peeled off the Zagg and nothing made it through the film.

Rate and Discover Movies