8,948 Reviews
 (1,057)
 (1,010)

1,601 of 1,637 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Defender or Commuter? An Honest Opinion
Protecting a $200 phone is quite a formidable task and a lot of cell phone case companies do not seem to understand protection. They strive for style, design, and aesthetics. To me, this is all nonsense. Otterbox understands the principle of protection better than any other company making these types of products. Fuction is what I am looking for and and this company...
Published on March 7, 2012 by kylemag

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute case but a nightmare for girls!
I was really looking forward to receiving this case. It was not available for shipping when I bought it but I was adamant that this was the one I wanted so I patiently waited over a month for the case to become availbale. WLoved the purple color of the case and the fact that the case is both silicone and polycarbonate appealed to me, being as I'm a huge fan of silicone...
Published on November 30, 2011 by Mar

‹ Previous | 14 5 6895 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, June 26, 2012
OK so the case it's self is not so bad. It's nice quality and does protect your phone but the white part of the case gets dirty RIGHT AWAY. I had the case on for about 2 mins and it was turning black. I am a neat freak/germ-a-phobe so I was contantly cleaning it every 2 secs, no use. I do love the case but it is kinda tacky to have a white case that never looks white. The white part is where your face and hands will touch the most so it's pretty hard to prevent. Just somehting to keep in mind when purchasing this case.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife loves this case. Fits Iphone 4 perfectly, April 22, 2012
What else is there to say. This case fits my wife's iPhone 4 perfectly. I originally got her the Otterbox defender when we got our iPhone 4's. She didn't like it because she kept her phone in her purse or pocket. The rubberized finish wasn't great for pulling the phone out of her pocket. And it was definitely overkill for keeping it in her purse. So I started looking. The Commuter Series fits my wife's requirements perfectly! The smooth finish allows her to keep her phone in her pocket or purse. She loves this case. God love her, I saw her drop the phone one time on the ground and stepped on it while trying to pick it up! The phone survived. LOL. The case sacrificed itself (the top corner cracked) but I'd rather replace a 25.00 case over a 400.00 iPhone. So I have NO issues with it's ability to protect the phone.

Oh, and we just have the plain iPhone 4, not the 4s. Don't let people fool you, this case fits the iPhone 4 perfectly. I'd buy this case again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Not Great Overall, December 5, 2011
Sandwah (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
The inside case is mushy and doesn't fit that well - ok, i went with it and assumed the otter people knew what they were doing. but when you overlay the hard plastic outer case, the fit is not good at all. edges don't seal properly and get caught on pockets and other stuff. the top on/off key is particularly hard to use - turning it on or off is nearly impossible. even the volume buttons don't work well. the other thing - and it's aesthetic - is that the rubber inside case, since it's so malleable, doesn't give the appearance of a clean look on the iphone. it makes my iphone screen look lopsided because the internal rubber of the case is all over the place... making the iphone appearance just look bad. i really wanted to like this case as it looks good from afar, but on the phone, it doesn't line up and doesn't look great, and using the buttons is next to impossible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok case with some major flaws, November 30, 2011
I really like the look of this case. The blue would have looked great on my iphone. However, I couldn't get past the fact that the on/off button was very difficult to push with the case on and the outside plastic cover just didn't seem to create a nice fit around the silicone. There were a few sharp edges. This was the second Commuter series case I purchased and unfortunately I had to return both due to issues I couldn't overlook.

3.0 out of 5 stars Always used the Defender case...wanted something different., November 3, 2012
Length:: 3:36 Mins

The seller Universal Mania did everything great! Packaged wonderfully. I always have stuck with the Denfender case wanted something different so I bought Commuter case. It doesn't seem as much protection as the defender I have dropped my iphone many times in the defender case. Phone has always been fine after the fall. Wish Commuter case protected front of the phone better. I also will have to get used to how slick the back of the Commuter case is... I wouldn't say slick but it's not like the denfender with grip. time will tell. When I do drop my phone I'll come back & write more. I read a lot of reviews on here..FYI With both cases in order to fit properly you have to grip around with you fingers on the phone. It takes me about ten minutes to feel like it's snugged & fitted properly with both cases.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest, December 12, 2011
Carrie (IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OtterBox Commuter Series Case for iPhone 4/4S - Retail Packaging - Hot Pink/White (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This was bought as a replacement for another Otterbox. I originally had the same thing in the pink and the white and I loved it but it cracked on me so I needed to replace it. This one the white rubbery underneath has gotten quite filthy in the one day that I have used it. The other one I had wasn't even dirty after a few months of use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely not worth the price., November 6, 2011
Jason A. Ball (Brandon, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this case based on Otterbox's reputation, and at nearly 30 dollars for a case I expected perfection. Unfortunately this case does not deliver.

The screen protector is useless. When I applied it there were tons of bubbles, to I used the included application card...which promptly scratched the surface of the protector. So that's useless.

The silicone part of the case does not fit the phone properly. It's just a tad too narrow so the corners don't match up with the corners of the phone and the sides of the case don't sit flat. The silicone part also doesn't match up properly with the hard plastic part of the case, making for sharp edges where the parts should fit flush with each other.

Add to this the fact that the dock connector cover doesn't stay closed and the small headphone jack hole and you have a case that's just not worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case and Even better support!, April 18, 2013
I really like this case. It does exactly what it claims to do and that goes a long way! Easy to handle and won't stick inside pockets. When the case cracked prior to the 1 year warranty expiring, I simply took pictures proving the damage claim and OtterBox sent a new case out almost immediately. Since the case comes with a protective film for the screen, I was able to completely change out my case and start new again. So rest assured, that even if this case fails (which it shouldn't), you have solid customer service and support, which is another thing they claim, but it's true!

Be advised though, the protective film that comes with this case is extremely reflective, but it yields the clearest/cleanest screen when in appropriate lighting. Outside, forget it, you're going to have problems, but it's still very protective and fits just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Otterbox case, February 1, 2013
Before purchasing this item from Amazon, I read a lot of the 1 & 2 star reviews. Many of those made me question if this was an knock-off product and not a genuine Otterbox case, there were even a number of pictures that provided evidence that suggested that the cases being sold by Amazon were not authentic. Since these cases were selling for around $20 (at the time of my purchase) on Amazon and $35 directly from Otterbox, I was hesitant to purchase one from Amazon, however for the price savings, I took the risk and ordered the case (see "Amazon Verified Purchaser"). I was not disappointed by that choice at all. I did receive an authentic Otterbox case in the original retail packaging (I will be uploading a customer picture of the exact item I received). This is a top quality case and is exactly what I expected it to be. It may not be the size/shape that would make everyone happy but I knew what I was ordering because I had an Otterbox case for my iPhone 3GS years ago and I currently have an Otterbox Defender case for my Razr Maxx phone (although I also have a blue Trident case for my Razr that I tend to use it more often because it is slightly slimmer and I like the blue vs my all black Otterbox Defender).

I can only guess as to what happened with people that are reporting they received fakes from from Amazon, but my guess would be that they are in fact not actually ordering items "Sold by Amazon". Perhaps people are ordering items from third party vendors and receiving fake cases that way. I can only say that the case I ordered was indicated "Sold by Amazon" and "Ships from Amazon" and it was not a fake item.

Hopefully this will help anyone that was worried about receiving a knock-off case. I was hesitant to order for two days before deciding to risk it myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Defender vs. the Commuter... Which is right for you?.., November 2, 2012
This review will compare both the Defender and Commuter cases for the iPhone 4s as well as my experience ordering online vs. purchasing in the store. I will start while saying that while I am a chick, I am totally about function over fashion. I'm a mom of a very busy toddler and I work as a professional photographer. That being said, I am constantly on the go with a million things in my hands and, as a result, I drop my phone... a lot. We bought our phones outright... so about $650- there is no way I am going to skimp on protection for something 'cute'.

So I initially had decided to go with the Defender over the Commuter, as it seemed to offer the most amount of protection. As much as I disliked the look and bulk of this case in the store, and was a bit envious of my husband who was getting the sleeker, more stylish, Commuter, I held true to the function over fashion rule and purchased the Defender. Since I do not have a good track record when it comes to dropping my phone, I genuinely felt that the Defender was the smarter purchase as is does offer a significant amount more protection.

The Defender has a built in screen protector and the entire phone is encased with impact resistant rubber. I felt that this case would handle more dropping and even buy me a little more time should my son spill a drink near my phone. The only problem is, is that all of this additional protection added a significant amount of bulk. Now, initially, I thought so what?.. it is still small. But no, the rubberized outside makes it not only bulky, but hard to slide in and out of things like side pockets on my bag, my jean's pocket, etc. It would slide part of the way in and then stick a bit. I felt this left the phone more vulnerable to dropping since I was often not able to put it away properly, quickly.

The bulk also made it difficult for me to hold properly. Maybe if I were a big guy with big guy hands, the added bulk wouldn't matter. But, I'm not, I'm a girl with tiny girl hands and I often felt like I didn't have a good hold on the phone while trying to use it. As much as I didn't want the bulk to be an issue, it was. Then, there is that pesky cover for the charging port. This thing would NOT stay closed without a significant amount of effort. It was always flapping open, making it even more difficult to use seamlessly.

Overall, I started to feel that the added protection was actually putting my phone more at risk for a fall since I was not able to put it way quickly, didn't feel comfortable holding it, and the charging port was almost always exposed. So, I order the Commuter online*.

While the Commuter does not offer as much protection, it fits in my hand much better, the charging port opens and closes without problem and it slides in and out of my bag pockets, jean pockets, etc. much easier. I feel that I am much less likely to drop the phone with this case. As an added bonus, the earpiece is much louder with this case. I was unaware just how much the Defender muffled the volume of the phone. Now, in its defense, I was unaware... I had no idea how bad the sound quality was until I switched- so it was still decent. Now that I have the Commuter, the difference is outstanding.

Overall, if you are a man or an unfortunate woman with man hands, the added bulk may not be a big deal with the Defender, especially if you use the belt clip and don't mind the charging port cover flapping around. However, if you are the average iPhone user, who needs a case that offers great protection and is still functional, the Commuter might be the way to go. I really feel that the added protection with the Defender actually made it less functional for me.

*Now, about online vs. in store. Initially, we purchased one Defender and one Commuter in store. They both fit our phones like gloves and we had no problems with gaps. When I decided to switch to the Commuter for myself, I initially ordered on through Amazon.com. I paid a few bucks extra for the "retail" packaging, in hopes that would keep me from getting a knock-off. No dice. The case arrived in different packaging than what my husband's store bought Commuter came in and it didn't fit my phone. There were gaps in the seal and the one whole side was loose. I immediately drove to the store and bought one and it fits fantastic. Personally, I would suggest buying in store for these... and I am a loyal Amazon purchaser... as a working mom, online shopping is key for me, but this time, a trip to the store and a few extra bucks was totally worth it.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6895 | Next ›