Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

10,571
Color: BLACK|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$23.95 - $49.95

on September 22, 2012
Compared to the iPhone 4S version of this case this is a complete redesign. Part of that was required because of the new dimension, port locations and size of the iPhone 5, but other parts seem to be a genuine attempt at improvements.

Positives
--Feels very well protected.
--Newer rubber material is more plasticky than previous versions. Better feel, nicer fit and seems less likely to stretch over time. Also doesn't catch when going into the pocket.

Neutral
--Edge on the front glass is significant. This doesn't encumber my typing but I am aware of it. Of course, this is part of the protection of this case and is a fair trade-off in my opinion.
--General thickness. Definitely distracts from the beauty of an iPhone 5. This is not a flaw in the product, though, just a decisions making point for the consumer. That thickness is, once again, a trade-off for protection.

Negatives
--Power button has a ton of resistance while in this case. Not sure if this will break in with time or not.

Having said all of that I recommend this case whole-heartedly if you're looking for a good amount of protection and you're willing to trade some sleekness for it. For me it seems like a significant step up in materials and fit and finish quality over the previous versions.
99 comments| 665 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2012
When I read bad reviews after ordering the commuter, I felt like I should of gotten the defender & then tried to change my order but it already shipped so I thought i'd see for myself.

The turquoise color is refreshing to me, the case fits very nice, but then when I had to apply the self adhesive screen, I used the installation card that was provided to smooth out air bubbles and ended up lightly scratching the protector. Ugh, useless. Rubbing with my fingers worked out fine.

I uploaded 2 images showing the charger port cover & it does pop out a tiny bit. Hopefully through time it will naturally stretch into place. I can train it.

Since the outer case is very smooth unlike the previous grippy rubber silicone cases, I think it might slide off my hands so I decided to attach it to my lanyard, sometimes. The case has no lanyard hole so with my creative head I separated the two case layers next to the headphone jack (bottom left corner) & looped a key chain sting attachment.

Overall it worked out for me very well it's pretty slim & slender and my small hands wouldn't like the fat defender anyway.

I am proud of my cool phone. Aqua cool.

Pros: Durable, sleek, stylish, good protection
Cons: no grip on outer case
review image review image
88 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2012
I am not going to write a complete review, but I have to chime in on an 'issue' people are commenting on regarding this case.

No, this case is not sleek, it's a !@$*& otter box. If you bought this case, or are considering buying this case, it's because you want to protect your phone and prevent any damage from occurring. This phone is perfect for that purpose.

It may not still be as small as just the phone in your pocket, but who expects that when they buy an otter box? This case protects my phone great. It has a silicone insert which you put your phone into first, and then you put it into the hard, outer shell. This case even comes with a screen protector. Well worth the money in my opinion.

And on another note, the power button is not as hard to press as people make it sound, and I am sure it will get easier to press the longer you own the case.

The only thing I might say could be improved upon would be to put rubber on the bottom side of the case (perhaps a rubber bumper in each corner) to prevent it from sliding around. I have noticed when I toss the phone on my desk, it slides quite a bit. Perhaps my desk is just clean, but that's the only thing I could nit pick about this wonderful case.
1010 comments| 718 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2014
So basically this is a great cause for anyone who wants to add protection to their iPhone. The only point I want to make in this review was that there are two different size cut-outs for the camera on the back. One is slightly larger and I believe is a newer model meant for the 5s and the smaller is one is the older meant for the 5. I posted some pictures showing this difference which is pretty small but might matter to someone who doesn't want to see the metal back showing in the camera cut-out.
review image review image review image
on September 30, 2012
Bottom line: The Otterbox Commuter case is great protection for your iPhone 5 investment. And it's sleeker and lighter than the negative reviews might lead you to believe.

My highest priority was to protect this $400 gadget from damage. I also have preschoolers who are additional risks to anything fragile! Check.

At the same time, I wanted something with good design that would fit unobtrusively in my pants or shirt pocket. Check and check.

Also wanted materials that are durable. Time will tell, but my initial analysis indicates check.

FYI, I compared to the Otterbox Defender, which offers more protection, but is bulkier and more noticeable in my pocket. Also compared it to several different Speck cases, which appeared to offer similar protection at the same price, but did not come with a screen protector. Plus, the Otterbox color combinations, from black/white to lime green/navy, accommodate a range of tastes.

The criticisms in other reviews appear overblown. Regarding on/off switch stiffness, this isn't a factor at all. The case fits the phone perfectly. I didn't notice the "rough" edges on the bottom back because I don't hold it there.

In my four years of owning iPhones, iPads and cases, my experience is that no case is "perfect." If you want solid protection without too much bulk, this case is worth your consideration.
44 comments| 466 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2013
I got the 5S at 8AM the day it came out and had bought this and got it delivered the night before. It works great, and the design of the screen cover and the phone cover both do not interfere with the fingerprint scanner new to the iPhone 5S. Great Case, easy to put on, very pleased.
on September 27, 2012
I had an OtterBox Defender case for my iPhone 4 and liked it a lot. It was kind of bulky though and I never used the belt clip. When I got the iPhone 5, I thought it best to look at both the Defender and the Commuter cases. The Commuter case was the best case for me.

Despite what others may have said, this case is quite stylish. It fits the phone perfectly. The screen protector is easy to install, protects the screen and stays in place. I can only surmise that the other reviewer just didn't get it on right. It fits perfectly, edge to edge and stays in place. I was very pleased.

The rubbery inner shell of the case cushions the phone nicely, the tabs covering the ports and the off button are stiff at first, but loosen up with use. The shell exterior or outer case is thick enough to be protective and in a matte finish so it doesn't show fingerprints and it resists scratches. The case goes together easily and fits snuggly.

The inner shell is a navy blue and the outer shell is "Night Sky" blue. It's an attractive combination. The phone in the case is a bit thicker than the phone without the case, but it's a case and my goal in getting it was to protect the phone while still having a phone that looked nice and was easy to slip in and out of my pocket, a purse or backpack pocket. This case fits the bill.

By all accounts, OtterBox is a reputable company that makes quality products (see several other reviews of OtterBox products). If you are having an issue, give them a call. My expectation is that they will do whatever is necessary to provide a case that meets or exceeds your expectations.

I'm very pleased with my purchase and would highly recommend this product.
22 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2013
I have the OtterBox defender for my iPhone 4 and love it. My wife wasn't so sure about the "big" case so she settled on the Commuter. So far this case is working great for her. The only frustration is getting that screen protector on without bubbles. Once you get past that, the case is great.

A note here about OtterBox. I have had my Defender for just under a year. Recently the flap that covers the data port broke off. I filled out the Warranty, took some pictures and sent them off to OtterBox (see their website). A new case arrived a week or two later. Point being, while these cases are bit more expensive, they do honor their warranty, so it is worth the investment.
on November 5, 2012
As a long time Otterbox cynic I was pleasantly surprised by the sleek form fit the Commuter series provided for my iPhone 5. On their previous iterations, Otterbox made the iPhone appear twice its size -not the case here (pun intended)! Compared to the Speck flip case I initially purchased the Commuter has superior drop protection. I'm not terribly clumsy but I sometimes drop the phone onto the asphalt getting up from my car and the Commuter series seems to offer the same protection as my Defender case provided me on the iPhone 4. Not withstanding extreme drops or conditions, I can recommend this case for the average user who drops their phone occasionally and wants the peace of mind knowing that your phone is well protected. And the front rim of the case provides excellent lay-on-the-face protection with a 2-3mm raised edge that you won't find on many (if any) of it's competitors. Overall, the case doesn't detract from the overall iPhone appearance and offers a nice color complement; also, the Commuter provides great drop protection for the average user...happy buyer here, thanks Otterbox!
on September 26, 2012
I bought the Commuter Series OtterBox for my iPhone 5 after 2 1/2 years of using one on my 3GS. It fits the iPhone 5 perfectly and offers good protection for day to day use. The biggest reason I stuck with the Commuter is the fact that it offers covered protection for all the ports and buttons, but has a smooth exterior so I can slide it into and out of my pocket easily.

All of the openings match up perfectly, and the case doesn't seem to limit any functions. Camera works great, buttons react well and the vibrate switch is easily accessible and usable. The lightning port and headphone jack have plugs that flip open for use, but are closed to keep all you pocket lint and dust out when not in use.

The OtterBox is a bit pricy, but after 2.5 years my 3Gs looks like new and I expect to get the highest resale available out of it. The difference between that and an average condition phone are more than the cost of the case, making it well worth the investment.