6,182 Reviews
 (3,510)
 (1,437)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best case out of 5 I own.
Published on August 15, 2012 by Michael J. P. Bernards

Published on August 8, 2012 by Ian Mac Neil Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Best case out of 5 I own., August 15, 2012
This review is from: OtterBox Commuter Series Case for Samsung Galaxy S III - Retail Packaging - White (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I'll begin by stating that I have owned four other cases prior to this one (yes, I'm one of those who needs to get a better case as soon as it comes along), but I believe this to be the last one I'll want to get for a while. This case OtterBox 77-21392 Commuter Case for Samsung Galaxy S III - 1 Pack - Carrying Case - Retail Packaging - Glacier is by far the best for protection, looks, feel and size in my opinion.

First off, all ports are easily accessible. The charging and headphone ports have larger square cutouts with rubber flaps, leaving the easy to get into with the OEM mini-USB plug and pretty much even the L-shaped headphone jacks. The flaps won't open in my pocket so they're very well measured. I say this because my Translucent Teal Androidified CruzerLite TPU Case- For Samsung Galaxy S III will not fit the OEM charging plug. The cutout for the charging port is very small and requires much pushing, repositioning each time. Also, that particular TPU case would push in on all four sides of my Zagg HD shield I bought when first getting my phone. The TPU case is a good one IF you have no shield or buy the shields that only cover the screen and not the bezel. A small notice is that air pockets are created under the Android logo design and the back of the phone comes off when removing it. None of these issues occur with the Commuter case.

The materials are high quality. The rubber fits around the phone perfectly and the volume and power buttons align with the rubber casing as if it came from Samsung themselves. The hard plastic seals the deal (as well as the rubber around the phone). It keeps everything snug and in place the way a protective case should. It needs to be mentioned, however, that the lips of the rubber case overlap with my Zagg HD shield, but in a good way (maybe 2-3mm) such that it keeps the edges flat, NOT pushing in like the TPU case did. So to me, this is the perfect case.

If you think this makes the phone too thick (there are very helpful picture uploaded by someone already), let me show you another one I ordered and never use: White and Black Kickstand Hybrid Case Hard Gel Cover w/ Stand for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300, I747 (Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T). It's much cheaper and the only plus is that it has a kickstand, but it is HUGE! This case maintains the sleek form and offers the protection needed. I haven't thrown my case, but I have dropped it a couple of times leaving my car and while doing laundry and no problems so far (knock on wood). I will never fully trust any case, but I believe this to be the best there is, so far.

The lips around the phone don't cover up the touch-sensitive back/menu buttons and the ugly (yes, I think the Galaxy S2 was nicer) physical button is also easy to access.

If this is too big and you'd like a smaller case, then the only one I have that I can recommend to anyone is the elago G5 Slim Fit Case for Galaxy S3 (Fits Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and other Carriers) - Soft Feeling Dark Gray - ECO PACK. It's expensive and minimalistic. But if that's what you're looking for then go for it. The Commuter, however, is what I keep on my phone at all times. Removing it for a replaceable battery on longer trips shouldn't be an issue. Just don't count on the included screen protector being anything special. I use a Zagg and it's one of the best around. If there are any questions, I'd be more than happy to help as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for!, August 23, 2012
After readig the reviews for this phone case (the black one), I was a little worried about how it would end up fitting on my phone. Reports of it being difficult to get on and the difficulty of pressing the buttons were grossly exagerated. I was able to put the case in with VERY LITTLE effort. It was snug, but not too snug. It NEEDS to be snug in order to do its job!

To describe this item, you need to realize that there are 3 parts to this case. The first part is a soft rubbery cover for the entore backside and sides of your phone. This is going to provide the cushining during falls. The second part is the hard plastic shell that snaps on over the rubber. This gives the phone a little "heft" and makes it easy to slide in and out of your pocket. It also is one more good layer of protection from hard falls or something falling onto it.

The third part is the scratch resistant cover for your phone. I can't remark on this yet because I havent used it. I am waiting for my new phone to arrive. My phone fell out of my backpack to the concrete and cracked the glass pretty good. This is why I decided to get this case. From the look and feel of this case I am absoultely positive that my phone would not be cracked right now if it had this case on it when it fell. I feel like an idiot for not having it protected, but you live and learn, right?

Now, about the "hard-to-press-the-buttons-issue". It't true that the buttons are harder to push. I don't think it's outrageously difficult but if you know anything about this phone its buttons are WAY too easy to press. Everytime I pull something up on my phone and try to hand it to someone to look at, one of the buttons almost always gets pressed (either the volume or he phone lock button) - extremely annoying. This case will prevent that from happening. But it surely doesn't prohibit normal button pressing.

Anyways, I recommend you buy this case TODAY if you need a case. It is all you would hope for it to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it so much that I bought two!, July 6, 2012
Don't worry, I'm not completely insane, I bought my wife an S3 and ordered this OtterBox for hers as well.

Anyway, it's a great case, and the only reason I can't give it five stars is the power button issue that reviewer LLBean mentioned. It is really, really stiff, and that takes some getting used to. Considering all the positives about the case, though, it's a relatively minor concern.

Despite the amount of protection that the case affords, it doesn't add an enormous amount of heft. It does mitigate some of the phone's sleekness (one of its main selling points), but that's the trade-off. If you want to preserve that sleekness, go for a thinner case (either gel or hard plastic), but keep in mind that those will protect against scratches, but not drops.

It fits beautifully on the phone. There are no gaps. Quite the opposite, in fact - getting the hard plastic over the underlying rubber sleeve can be kind of difficult, especially getting it over the volume and power buttons. If you think you'll want to take the case off regularly, don't get this one. Go with something like the Seidio Surface or Active, which are much easier to put on and take off.

UPDATE, 8/13/2013: The rubber cover that protects the charging port fell off yesterday. That's a bit disappointing, but everything I originally said in my review still stands.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can make the power button work, August 10, 2012
It is very good like all the other reviews have been mentioned. I just want to say something about the buttons. I was hesitate to buy this OtterBox after reading all the reviews about the power button. But I like the color combination in the design of this case. I decide to give it a try. After I got the case I put it on and try the power button immediately. It worked very well. I thought I might just got a good one. Then I took it off and put the screen protector on. This time after I put the case on again, the power button did not work unless you push really really hard. So I realized that there might be some tricks.
After tried several times, I found this: the power button on the phone and the case, they are a little miss match.
I am not sure if this is my individual case, but hope it will help

After you put the soft cover on, when you need to put on the hard cover, insert the volume button part(left side of the phone) first and then push the power button side in to the hard cover, this help a lot in my case. I got all the buttons work very well.

If you really like the case, buy it and give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Otterbox vs. Ballistic, October 22, 2012
I bought a Ballistic SG0930-M365 SG case for my wife's Samsung Galaxy S3 and I bought a Otterbox Commuter case for my Samsung Galaxy S3. The Ballistic case fits great, as does the Otterbox case.

-Both cases are kind of difficult to remove quickly. The case can probably be removed and replaced in 3 to 5 minutes. If you switch out batteries or memory cards often, then this might be a concern for you.
-The biggest advantage of the Ballistic case is the that the power and volume buttons are much easier to push than the Otterbox power and volume buttons. The Otterbox power and volume buttons are still functional and it really doesn't bother me enough to switch to the Ballistic case for my phone, but Ballistic really did a great job on the buttons.
-The biggest advantage of the Otterbox case is that it has a flap that covers the headphone jack and the usb/power cord jack. This is good for keeping dust and water out of those areas. The Ballistic does not cover those items. This fact would not keep me from choosing a Ballistic case.
-Both cases are similar weight and form factor. The Ballistic case might have more padding on the corners, but I don't think that it would make a huge difference if dropped. I haven't dropped either phone, so I'm not sure how either case would perform if dropped.

BOTTOM LINE: I would be satisfied with either case. If you want easier to push buttons, then go with the Ballistic case. If you want the headphone jack and the power jack covered up, then go with the Otterbox Commuter case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Case!, July 26, 2012
When looking for a case for my new s3 I spent a great amount of time reading reviews for different cases. I had always heard great things about OtterBox, so I was surprised to read all of the negative reviews for it. I went ahead and bought the case, and I'm so glad I did!

One of the things I kept reading is how hard the case is to put on. Well I'm here to tell you, the case is NOT that hard to put on (maybe these people need to work on their hand and arm muscles). I put the case on while I was still in the store waiting for my family to finish up and it took me literally 2 minutes to put on. I had to take it off and put it on twice once I got home (once to put the screen protector on and once to put in the microSD card because I forgot it the first time - DUH...). Again, took me no time to put on. The hardest part was getting the hard cover over the buttons that stick out, but it definitely didn't take any extra tools to put on.

The buttons on the side of the phone are harder to push when the case is on, but that hasn't really bothered me that much. For one, it doesn't take that much effort to push the buttons and you also don't need to push the button on the side of the phone to make it wake up, the home button does that as well. Again, serious exaggeration on the difficulty of pressing the buttons.

The screen protector that comes with the phone is a little wacky. It does have a cut out for the home key (normal) and also for the front facing camera (I'm assuming so it doesn't make the picture blurry). The screen protector doesn't quite go all the way out to the edges of the phone, which kind of looks funny if you are looking at something to critique.

Something that is hard to tell by the pictures of the case is that the phone case is raised up around the screen. For me, this is a good thing, because I didn't want my phone resting on the screen if I turned it over to allow for music to be played through the speaker. The speaker does get covered up if the phone is on it's back, which I guess some people could get irritated with.

Overall, if you want a great case for your phone that will protect it and not add a ton of size to your phone, this is it! I'm glad I didn't take the reviews I read of this case to heart!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice protection, nice aesthetics, good quality, bad functionality, August 8, 2012
I was so excited about this case that I ordered it on june 27th I didn't get it till Aug 1st, cause there were delayed everywhere online and in stores. Still that didn't bother me, I eagerly waited. when it arrived I was very happy, I quickly took off my other case (incipio) and put on the otterbox. However my excitement was short lived. The otterbox is a good case but it is nearly impossible to press the volume and power buttons on the phone without exerting a LOT of force. I was disappointed and went back to my Incipio within 5 minutes. I am returning it. Otterbox you have let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Otterbox!, July 30, 2012
The buttons take more effort to press than expected. That's the only downside, although I got used to it after about a week of use.

As for durability, I honestly tossed my phone on the cement as soon as I put it in the case (I'm crazy). Neither the phone or the case has any noticeable damage, so it serves its purpose. I'll take the button difficulty over a smashed/shattered phone any day.

Comments have asked about how the case holds up against staining. The cover's shell is a nice bright white, so I understand the concern about it. I work as a server at a restaurant and literally just throw my phone in my apron. It has yet to receive a smudge. The case also has flaps that cover the charging port and headphone jack, so nothing will clog them. So I'd say it can withstand a fair amount of exposure. :)

Included with the case is a screen cover. And, like other screen covers, it's a hassle to apply. But if you follow the directions, use the little squeegee properly, and have a little patience, it's phenomenal. I don't even notice that a cover is on mine!

Overall, it's a fantastic case for the $34.99 retail price tag. Definitely worthy of 5 stars! :D

1.0 out of 5 stars Major Design Flaw, August 6, 2012
I have been a huge fan of otterbox for several years. Having purchased many Commuters in the past (IPhone, Gnex, Razr Maxx) I was excited to get one for my new G3.

I read the reviews which talked about the hard (nearly impossible) to press power button but I still didn't believe. So I purchased one here on Amazon (direct from Amazon).

Previous reviews are spot on when they say there is a flaw. First, Otterbox changed the rubber being used. Its more like a car tire rubber than it used to be. Next, the little nub on the underside of the skin (used to press the power button) is just too short. Lastly, the power button has a very slight angle to it. I confirmed this on multiple cases, they all have this slight angle which makes it even harder to hit the sweet spot to activate the device.

I thought maybe I had a flawed case so I went to a local shop and checked out their otterboxes. Same results.

I spent days with the case off trying to wear in the rubber to no avail. Its just too hard.

While I love otterbox, this one makes it so hard to power on my device that I found myself loathing the thought of turning it on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a descent case, September 19, 2012
No joke but this is my 6th case I have purchased for my s3. I have a ballistic coming in the mail so that will be my 7th. I guess I am on a mission to find the perfect case.

The commuter is all exposed plastic with the exception of the corners and buttons which are rubber. The color is lighter than the image but there is also a warning about colors may differ. I was worried this case would be bulky as I imagined all otter boxes were. This is NOT the case with the commuter. It isn't the thinnest nor the bulkiest. It fits really well in my average size hand. It is not as slippery as the phone is without a case and it isn't as easy to grip as a gel case either. The case does not wrap around the front so far that it blocks access the the home or menu buttons. The case is rigid enough that it does not peel the screen protector off and covers it just enough to keep it from peeling off.

I read complaints about the buttons being hard to press but here is my take on that. The one fatal design flaw with the s3 is the placement of the power button. No one can say they haven't accidentally turned this phone off with normal handling. Because the button does take a small amount of force to turn off and on allows me to hold the phone comfortably and move from landscape to portrait without worrying about turning my phone off. It really does make a difference.

Rate and Discover Movies