3,003 Reviews
 (2,418)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Defender Case Yet!!!
Published on November 12, 2012 by scarr5000

3.0 out of 5 stars Screen protector was creased, very heavy
Overall, the product seems like it should to a good job of protecting the device. I had only two problems with it.

First, the screen protector portion of the case was creased from the factory, resulting in visible distortion. I'm returning it for a replacement for this reason.

Second, it is *very* heavy. If you count the stand, it actually weighs...
Published 23 months ago by dgatwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Defender Case Yet!!!, November 12, 2012
This is my 3rd Otterbox Defender case (previously I had the first generation iPad and currently have one on my iPhone 4s). I was pleased with the previous two, and, considering that this iPad Mini is for my six year old son, I felt that purchasing a third was a no-brainer. And, now that I have it, I have to say that I'm even more impressed than I was with the previous two. While I loved the Defender on my iPad 1st Gen, I found that it added a lot of bulk and weight. The Mini Defender manages to provide what appears to be the same level of protection, but it does so without adding the same proportional bulk and weight as that in the 1st Gen iPad, IMO (of course it still remains heavier than say, a leather folio).

Other pluses:

1) Excellent fit - the case feels like a natural extension of the Mini itself.
2) Buttons work great - with my previous Defender cases, the silicone protection over the home, power and volume buttons felt like big pieces of rubber, and not particularly sturdy. However, the silicone over the buttons on the Mini Defender are so well placed and and designed that it feels like you are using the actual buttons on the Mini without the protection - again, the case feels like an extension of the Mini itself.
3) The silicone backing has a nice, slightly grippy feel, which makes it easy and comfortable to hold on to, especially when gaming.
4) The case cover that doubles as a stand fits very securely over the display screen of the Mini, and adds extra protection for the corners of the device. With the case cover on over the front of the Mini, the surface of the Mini is fully protected if dropped (well, as protected as it can be anyway). I wish all tablet cases would come with a case cover that fully protects the display in case of falls (as opposed to just using a screen protector, which won't do much good if dropped on a non-flat surface).
5) It does also have a built-in screen protector. I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep it, or tear it off and put on my own - it seems a little too glossy for my taste.
6) Both the front and rear cameras are fully visible and unobstructed by the case.
7) The stand (for which the case cover doubles up as) seems much more stable as compared to the previous Defenders I have used.

Cons (Minor):

1) For some reason, this version of the Defender does not have a clear opening to display the Apple logo on the back of the Mini. Perhaps due to the smaller size they were not able to do so without compromising the integrity of the overall case?
2) As someone else mentioned, the speakers at the bottom are not covered at all - they are however protected as they are surrounded by the rim of the case as well as the silicone cover of the Lightning connector. To me this does not really matter but some may prefer that extra-extra protection against dust etc.
3) As of the date of this review, only three colors are available - black, "blushed" (pink) and "crevasse" (gray). Hopefully they'll add more colors soon.
4) It's kinda pricey (at least as of the date of this review). But, IMO well worth it considering that it provides the best overall protection I've been able to find (i.e. front and back of the Mini).

Overall, I'm very pleased. Nothing else I've seen out there will give the same level of overall protection as this, especially if the device is to be used primarily by a child, or if you travel/carry it around a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weight, November 22, 2012
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad mini - White/Grey (Personal Computers)
None of the reviews I read mentioned the weight of this product. My Wifi iPad Mini weighs 11 oz. This product is composed of three separate sections. The plastic section that covers the iPad weighs 4 oz, the rubber portion that partially covers the plastic section weighs 3.1 oz, so with these two parts on the iPad you have 7.1 oz in addition to the 11 oz weight of the iPad for a total of 18.1 oz. The other section, which is used to protect the iPad while traveling and as a base to support the iPad in two different upright positions, weighs 4.3 oz.

This product is well constructed, fits the iPad Mini well and should provide good protection. The other reviews covered other aspects of the product so I won't cover those. I gave this five stars because I concluded that it should protect the iPad from most accidents, which is the main purpose. As to the additional weight, any case built to protect the product will have a weight penalty. So the choice is protection with a weight penalty or less protection without the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars They should change the name to "Impregnable", November 28, 2012
booktrout (Upstate NY USA) - See all my reviews
Those of us shopping for an iPad mini case the week the device was announced know that there were slim pickings. Out of the handful available, I chose the Khomo case -- it only cost $2.99 at the time (now it's $12.99). Plus it has a full back cover and a magnetic front cover.

But I'd had my heart set on the Defender. However, the $69.99 preorder price was prohibitive. So I waited until I saw one through Amazon Warehouse Deals for under $42.

As much as I liked that very affordable and well-made Khomo case, this Defender for the iPad mini is a thousand times better. No exaggeration.

Yes, it adds a bit of bulk. But it's so well styled that you'd think it was organic to the mini if you didn't know how thin the real mini is. This does not have the awkwardness of the Defender for the iPhone 4s (which I own). It is attractive and highly protective.

It's the difference between carrying a raw egg in a baggie and placing the egg in an egg carton. I'm now thinking I took huge risks carrying my mini around without the protection of the Defender.

If you've read another review about how this applies too much pressure to the mini and cracked the screen, I haven't experienced anything like that. It's well fitted, there is no flex between the case and the device, and I can't see how you could crack the screen unless you were trying to remove the Defender case and you torqued the mini in your attempts to extract it. Otherwise, there are no pressure points created by fitting this case onto your mini. Don't let that review stop you from purchasing this item. If you do, you're making a big mistake and not backing up your investment.

Unlike that other reviewer, I post constantly about products/books I purchase, the good as well as the bad. Because that's what will help you decide to purchase or move on.

The screen protector does not impede the touchscreen, either by finger or with a stylus. I have a Bamboo stylus and it works just fine, although I need to apply slightly firmer pressure with the stylus.

If you're a Defender owner, you know the quality of the materials. If you've never bought one before, this is the one to purchase. You'll be hooked for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case, just like it's big brother, November 8, 2012
I've been using OtterBox cases for a couple of years now- first on my iPad "1", then on my iPhone 4, then on my iPhone 4S, then on my iPad "3", and now on my iPad mini. I've been thoroughly pleased with all of the previous OtterBox purchases, and any time there was an issue, OtterBox's customer service was quick to respond and provide free replacement parts when needed.

All of that being said, it was a no-brainer for me to purchase this case when I ordered my iPad mini (which I'm actually replacing my iPad "3" with - I just like the smaller size better). And just like all of the other OtterBox products I've used, this one is a good choice.

Here are some pros of this case:
1) It's solid, just like other OtterBox cases
2) The texture on the back is a little smoother than previous cases, which is fine because of the smaller size and weight.
3) It has a built-in screen protector. It's not "HD" like other protectors out there, but it does the job well.
4) The cover easily snaps on and off and doubles as a stand with two viewing angles.
5) The cover also doubles as a stand with two different viewing angles in landscape mode.
6) At the new price point of $48, it's about $22 less than what you'd pay retail.

Here are some cons of this case:
1) It adds bulk to the iPad mini. But, that's expected considering it's intended to protect the iPad mini.
2) The cable adapter for old 30 pin cables will not work with this case. You'll have to use the adapter that includes the wire between the two connectors - it does work.

Overall, I say if you're looking for a good, solid case for your iPad mini and aren't too terribly concerned with the added bulk, grab one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Otterbox for ipad mini, December 28, 2012
First night 6 year old dropped his ipad mini on concrete driveway. No damage thanks to otter box. Next day dropped twice on ceremic tile floor. Again no damage. Great product

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife loves it!, December 12, 2012
My wife received a iPad mini from Santa for Christmas. She didn't want this case, but after I researched it, I bought it anyway, along with her choice of case. She likes this one better, and wants me to return the other.

The biggest issue was "how wide will this mini be with the case on?" Well, although the Otter Box is a 4 piece case (including the stand/hard cover), without the hard cover on it's plenty thin, as the OB really adds very little bulk. And the lightly textued back makes it very non-slip for holding with one hand as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous case, February 15, 2013
This is the best fitting otterboc case I have ever purchased. The case is durable and at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste time or $ with ANY other case!, December 12, 2012
I was worried this would be really bulky since the iPhone Defender case is. But it's not bulky at all, compared to other protective cases. Still comfortable to hold and it has the best protection out there. I was also worried I'd lose some screen quality when watching movies because of the screen protector (some screen protectors REALLY diminish screen quality and resolution). But the quality is great! Only note is that I highly recommend thoroughly wiping down the inside of the screen protector. It arrived with some dust on it (understandably), and if you don't wipe down the inside, you will definitely notice the dust. But if you wipe down the inside of the screen, the quality is great. The stand is much more solid and useful than other stands I've used. Other stands have low angles that are useless. This one holds it at an angle where you can actually see the screen well when it's propped up on a desk, airplane tray, your lap etc. And you don't have to have the stand attached (easy to put on or take off), which makes it even less bulky. Do not waste time or $ on any other case. This is BY FAR the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, Protective, Reliable! but heavy., November 5, 2013
I read all of the reviews on this particular otterbox case prior to purchasing and the negative reviews really had me worried about purchasing. But I'm glad that I purchased this case. This is as protected as it gets. You still need to be as careful as possible. It doesn't mean buy this and you can throw it on the floor and stomp on it. You still need to treat it like its a $400 device no matter what case it's in.

This case adds a little bit of weight to the iPad but it's definitely worth it.

I bought apple care when I purchased my ipad mini and It's only been 6 months since I bought my ipad and I'm already on the last replacement. Before I went in to apple to get the last replacement I purchased this case.

My ipad was dropped in two different cases prior, by my 5 year old daughter, and both times shattered. The other cases were leather the first time it fell on the sidewalk second time on the concrete parking lot. The iPad's screen broke on impact.

I hope that does not happen to my last replacement in this Otterbox case. Holding your device in this case and viewing your device in this case it is a very sturdy case and seems indestructible. I have had this case for about a month and my daughter dropped it once on the tile floor and it didn't affect the device at all. Not once scratch. It is 100% protected in this case. It has a built in screen protector which is a thick plastic (not tape). It was hard to open it to put on the iPad thankfully the lady at the store who gave me the last replacement helped me open it and put it inside. I like that it is hard to take off that means that when you drop it the case isn't going to break off of your iPad. When you buy this case it becomes part of your iPad. I don't recommend taking it off and putting it back on regularly because it could ruin the case and really there's no need to take the iPad out of its protected Otterbox Case. I like the stand that it comes with that ultimately when not in use it protects the front of the iPad further than the plastic screen protector. I hope this review helped.

If you're looking for protection and secure case for your iPad you found it here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best protection for you device, May 23, 2013
I am a soldier deployed overseas and I ordered this Otterbox Defender case to protect my Ipad Mini from dust and rough handling. I ordered it on April 20th and recieved it on April 29th. I am pleased at the condition in which I recieved it. No blemishes or swirling like I have seen on other reviews. I followed the instructions on how to encase the Ipad and did not have a cracked screen like others have stated when they tried to put the Defender case on the Ipad. IT WAS FLAWLESS. It turned my slim and fragile device into a rugged and well protected machine that I can use just about everywhere I go. It was more than worth the money that I spent on the Otterbox to protect a $419.00 investment. I definetly would recomend it to anyone interested in not having to pay for a damaged device when this is available.