Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

11,388
Color: Blue|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on January 31, 2013
I adore my OtterBox defender case. I previously had one for the iPhone 4s which was nice but obviously bulky. When I upgraded to the 5 I decided to go with something slimmer - a speck case - but I was so nervous about harming my new device. After three weeks I knew I had to go back to the company I trusted for optimal protection, and I was so happy to find that the defender for the iPhone 5 is much slimmer and appealing than the old 4s versions. I still get the protection I require without sacrificing aesthetics. I love the way my phone looks and feels. I actually prefer how the phone fits in my hand when it's in this case than when it's bare. It still fits and slides into my pocket just fine, and it just seems so much sturdier. I've had several drops in the few weeks I've had it and there has been no damage to the phone whatsoever. I even dropped it while on the elliptical - it fell and bounced on the edge of one of the foot pieces, flying across the gym! No problem! I did remove the build in screen protector in favor of the Zagg shield. Together it's just perfect.

But a cautionary tale -- I came on Amazon and purchased a case from a third party seller - "cellphonegeeks" out of Idaho but I think they operate under many different profiles - and was extremely pleased to find that I could pay less than half of what retail stores and OtterBox itself charges for the cases. What a deal, I thought. Wrong. I received an obviously counterfeit product that was undeniably fake and of such poor quality. I have posted images comparing the fraud to the authentic product I ended up purchasing from a big box retailer. Luckily I was able to have a refund of the product and I'm now living happily with a real OtterBox. My suggestion is to buy straight from Amazon itself or wait for the item to go on sale at one of the major retailers. I purchased mine from Radio Shack for about five dollars less than MSRP. It's worth it to pay the real price!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2014
We have iPhone 5s and bought these cases cheap. You can't use the thumbprint recognition with it but everything else works great. The case is solid and fits perfectly over the iphone 5 or 5s. I trimmed the bottom flaps that covered the headphone and power cords with scissors. They just got in the way and I bought the cases for accidental drops not sandstorm coverage.
on May 8, 2013
I really like the case though my original that I got was defective.. I was able to get the plastic insides replaced through otterbox. And it works great. My original had bubbles from the screen protector that wouldn't go away. I guess the seal wasn't made right. But the replacement I got from Otterbox worked great. I love otterbox!!
on December 23, 2013
Before purchasing an OtterBox for my iPhone 5, I made sure to read a lot of the reviews, good and bad. What eventually came to bother me about some of the 4-5 star reviews was that it seemed like they didn't take the time to see if the case held up over the course of time, which is why I waited as long as I did. If you have read other reviews, you've probably heard these things before, but I wanted to let people know from someone who has let time tell the tale rather than raving about it the second it was outta the box.

When I first got my case, it was hard to open the hard plastic portion and I had to watch a YouTube video to convince myself it was actually possible. It has continued to stay that tight, which is both frustrating and reassuring. The soft part of the case was tight-fitting upon arrival as well, but over time (and after a few falls), it has gotten a little loose in the back. Thankfully, it's still well-fitting around the edges, as that's far more important.

For the first month, I was convinced that the "oil slick" on the screen mentioned in other reviews only existed on a few faulty cases because it wasn't happening for me. Unfortunately, about a month in, it started up and I haven't been able to fully get rid of it. Opening it up and wiping the screen of both the phone and the case with screen cleansing wipes (and allowing them time to fully dry) helps for a few days, but then it's back and given how hard it is to open the hard plastic case, I tend to do it only when it gets terribly noticeable.

I also didn't believe that the buttons would become more difficult to use, given how they felt when it first arrived. By month three, they became more difficult to use.

The OtterBox is bulky - approximately tripling the size front to back - but it's supposed to be. This case is made to take being dropped or thrown and every time it gets roughed up or when I see my friend's cracked screen, it reminds me exactly why I put up with thickness of the case.

Overall, it's not a terrible case and it has held up well for me, but please don't expect a miracle case that is completely without flaws.
on March 1, 2015
bought this to replace my old otterbox (commuter). I'm not really happy with this product at at. Colors (like my jeans ) rub off onto the case, discoloring it. Also, layers of the rubber or whatever material it is, is staring to life. It's been maybe a month since I've had this, and it's already ruined. The current condition suggest I may have had this phone case for over a year. And I haven't . I would not buy this product again, or recommend it .
review image
on December 28, 2012
I've never owned an Otterbox before but after recently spilling liquid on my iPhone 4 and having to upgrade to an iPhone 5, I decided I better do a good job protecting my purchase this time around. Although I know that the Defender series Otterbox isn't intended to be waterproof/spillproof, it is certainly a considerable upgrade from a typical hard plastic case.

As a new user, I found it extremely easy to install and it appears to be very protective so far, though I haven't had major drops or other incidents yet. I have not experienced any sliding inside the case as other reviewers have noted - it is an excellent fit. I do agree with those who say that the protective covers make it a bit more difficult to plug in the lighting cable and access the vibration switch, but this is an easy thing to live with. A possible dealbreaker for me, though, is that I find it VERY difficult to press the home button. I think everyone has to judge this issue on their own and weigh its importance. I was concerned about the integrated clear protective screen making the phone less responsive to touch, but I'm honestly not noticing any problems there.

This a great deal at $17 (versus $50 for the same item at the ATT store!)from Casemate2000. Despite that, I'm not a fan of the bulk this case adds to the phone or the way it detracts from the iPhone's attractiveness. It comes down to this: this case will work for you if protection is your greatest concern, not appearance. If you're unwilling or uncertain about giving up aesthetics and some minor ease of use issues for the sake of protective peace of mind, I doubt this case is for you. As for me, I'm still deciding. But for those who are sure that protection is the ultimate goal, I highly recommend the Otterbox.
on December 1, 2014
This is a replacement Otter Box for my old one. My phone fell into a roaring campfire (in a fire pit) when it was accidentally knocked over and the doused with water. IT SAVED MY PHONE!!! It was actually melted onto my phone in places! The pictures speak for themselves! The best $ I have ever spent!
review image review image
on July 28, 2013
I got this for my wife's phone so that it would match the case I got for her iPod Touch 4. She loves purple and loves Otterbox so it seemed like a no-brainer. All was good for a few weeks, but then the rubber portion of this case started to stretch and flop around. It no longer stays in its little tracks around the plastic portion of the case, and frankly it looks like hell. Not sure if we got a bad batch of material or what. The case for her iPod is still going strong after around a year's use, but this case started showing problems within the first month. I don't think she's putting any undue stress or wear on the case - she hasn't yet taken it back out since the initial installation so it's not that. The only thing she does with it is stick it in the back pocket of her jeans. I'd expect an Otterbox to be able to handle that and not stretch out of all proportion to itself but that does not seem to be the case.

We're going to be contacting Otterbox for a replacement - hopefully it will be an easy process and the new one will far outlast the original. We'll see.
on February 26, 2013
I finally broke down and bought my Wife an iphone 5 but knowing how hard she is on phones I wanted to protect it. She has a funny sense of humor and after browsing the Otterbox site she found this case, which wasn't available at the time. Otterbox emailed me when it was available and I looked on their site to find the sku number, searched for it on Amazon, and found it! My wife loves the way it looks, and I love the Otterbox protection. I cut off the bit of rubber that protects the charging port and ear phone port on my cases ( HTC EVO and a Samsung Galaxy Note 2,) but only had to cut out the charging port on hers. I will include a picture of the back of the case as it is the main selling point in my Wife's eyes, but wasn't included on the product page by the seller. I chose 2 day shipping because they aren't an Amazon Prime seller, and you just get used to super fast service of Prime. It came quickly and was the one we wanted.
review image
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2012
This case does exactly what it says--protects your iphone 5 like crazy. The plastic shell snaps on and provides structural rigidity to the case. The plastic shell has a built in screen protector. The silicone layer fits over the plastic and adds extra impact protection since it is a shock-absorbing material. I ultimately returned this case because I found it too bulky for my tastes, but since this is my personal preference it does not negatively impact the review. The 4-star rating is due to the screen protector issues and port covers as described in the following paragraphs.

I found that the port covers (covers headphone jack, charger port, and external silence switch) were fairly difficult to open. I had to use my fingernails and really pry them open. This is good, since it really keeps out the dust and elements, but it is also annoying. I use the silencing switch often, and I really wish that it hadn't been covered since it is annoying to uncover it every time I turn the phone on/off silent mode. Since this is not really a "hole" into the phone, I don't see a reason to cover this switch like they did. Plus, even when the port cover is open, the plastic shell makes it really difficult to use this switch. With bigger hands, I had to use my pinky fingernail to turn this switch on and off (my other fingers couldn't fit in the space around the switch).

The screen protector is a useful feature, but like other reviewers I found that it would contact the screen in some points and create a halo appearance in certain points. This was slightly annoying in that it was noticeable, but did not make it unusable by any means. It was also difficult to prevent dust from getting under the screen protector since the protector was not attached to the phone itself. This is only a problem if you take this case off and want to put it back on. Every time I put it on, it was a painstaking process to ensure no dust was in between the protector and the phone's screen.

Those gripes out of the way, the case is overall comfortable, well-designed, and offers great protection for your phone. It more than doubles the phone's thickness and adds about a centimeter in height and width. This made the phone too bulky for me and I returned the case. But for those who need extreme protection, this is a necessary compromise. If you absolutely need maximum protection for your phone, this is a great case. If you just want something to protect from scratches and minor bumps/falls, there are other cases out there that are cheaper and smaller but still add great protection. Thanks for reading!