4.0 out of 5 stars Protection - with a few caveats
===REVIEW EDIT/UPDATE HISTORY===
2/26/13 - Watermark Fix
4/08/13 - Quality Issues Update
6/20/13 - Review Organization Update

Updates to this review can be found at the very end. I intend to update my review regularly in an effort to help others make the best decision.

===DESIGN & FUNCTION===
After opening the packaging, to my...
Published 18 months ago by Andrew G.

3.0 out of 5 stars Case protects but blunts functionality
The plastic screen cover makes some functions difficult on the touchscreen. The case makes turning the volume buttons up or down difficult, as well as turning the unit on or off.
Published 8 months ago by patti

4.0 out of 5 stars Protection - with a few caveats, February 26, 2013
This review is from: OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPod touch 5G - Coal (Electronics)
===REVIEW EDIT/UPDATE HISTORY===
2/26/13 - Watermark Fix
4/08/13 - Quality Issues Update
6/20/13 - Review Organization Update

===DESIGN & FUNCTION===
After opening the packaging, to my surprise, the Otterbox felt a lot cheaper and lighter then I expected. In fact, I was rather disappointed with the seemingly cheap material.
However, after I installed my iPod, the case felt much better, and not quite so flimsy. The silicon felt nice to touch and fortunately was not a lint/dust magnet. The plastic looked much better when the case was fully applied as well.
The case feels very durable and true to the Otterbox slogan, it very much "inspires confidence."
The design is also nice, although those who love the iTouch's thin design may disgree with me. I feel that it adds some welcome bulk to the iTouch, making it feel much more like an iPhone 5. The added bulk gives a sense of strength and durability, and I definitely feel like the case can fully protect my iPod when dropped or crushed.
Even better, the Otterbox covers up the Apple Loop button on the back of the iPod touch, something most cases don't offer. I don't have much use for the loop, and it's annoying to me how everyone who sees it wants to give it a press. Now since it's covered up nicely.
I chose the Coal version, and coupled with my black iTouch, makes it seem like a stealth plane. Love it.

===WORD OF CAUTION:===
Always install in a dust-free room!
After I installed mine, I noticed dust and lint particles trapped under the screen protector. These particles are really annoying. I ended up removing the case several times to clean it. Which brings me to my next point... it is extremely difficult to remove the case. It took me near a solid 5-8 minutes struggling to remove the case with the iPod in it. The silicon can be easily removed, but the hard plastic shell underneath with the safety locks is very hard to pry open. The safety clips make it quite a struggle to remove the case, which is also a good thing, as you know the case is built very well and will definitely protect your iPod when the case makes impact with the ground. However, this does prevent a hassle when you actually want to remove the case to, say, clean the iPod.
If you ever need to remove the case, I'd recommend you be careful and do it over something soft, like a couch or bed, so the iPod doesn't fly out and make a suicide jump towards the ground.

===THE "WATERMARK" (PROBLEMS/CONS)===
You may also experience the infamous watermark (rainbow-effect issue), like I did. A lot of people don't actually know this term, so I'll explain it here.
Watermarking is not actually moisture or water in the case, but is actually light refracted as it passes through the transparent built-in screen protector. The result is a rainbow "blob" that looks unsightly on the screen. The effect can be seen whether the screen is on or off and is especially noticeable when the screen is off or white. I already have a TechArmor screen protector on my iPod in an attempt to mitigate the watermark effect, but to no avail. Those who are very picky with screen quality and those who are OCD may be very annoyed with this issue.
However, I've found a fix. All you need to do is spray the built in screen protector with some eye glasses cleaning solution and wipe it down with an oil-free (meaning it must be clean) microfiber cloth. Then immediately apply the screen protector and the problem should resolve itself. You can also try washing the screen protector with soap and water, which I've found to also work.

===CONCLUSION===
The Otterbox is still one of the best choices for ultimate protection of your device. It is unmatched in this regard, even when compared to the Griffin Survivor case or cheaper knockoffs (such as the ones made by i-Blason).
However, the Otterbox does suffer from a few minor ergonomic issues and that troublesome watermark, which may make some think twice before purchasing this case. I however, would definitely recommend this case to you, especially if you love to keep your electronics in pristine shape.

===UPDATES===

(4/8/13)
After less than 2 months of living with the Otterbox, I am generally pleased with its performance. I have dropped my iPod several times on hard floors, and my iPod suffered not even a scratch. In fact, my iPod looks exactly like when I first opened it.
However, I do have a few complaints.
First off, the silicon coverings over the Power On/Off and volume buttons can be easily "scratched." The black silicon coverings are now full of white marks from my nails pushing down on them from everyday use. Before I go any further, I'd like to note the reason I've grown to use my nails to push down on the buttons is because the Otterbox button coverings are quite thick and don't sit directly against the iPod's buttons, and simply pushing them down with your finger often doesn't register a response. In case you're put off by the thick coverings, I'm going to add that it feels quite normal, and you definitely will barely notice it. Now I'm just a normal guy with generally clean, clipped nails, and I don't do anything ridiculous with the buttons, just press them normally as anyone else would. Thus, I'm a little disappointed to see signs of wear on the button coverings already.
Secondly, I've come to realize that despite being advertised as "dust-proof," the Defender is actually quite prone to dust if you are in a high-dust area. If you're in a dusty environment, gunk may easily drift through the small openings in the partially covered headphone jack and lightning connector ports, and it will slowly build up behind the screen protector. You will eventually get to the point when a cleaning is necessary. You can easily mitigate this by simply popping out the built-in screen protector and add something like an InvisibileShield to the iPod itself. I've seen a few reviewers here that have already done this, though I haven't done it yet - not sure if it is necessary for me.

~~~~

I still firmly believe I made a good decision in buying this case. While it may not have showstopper looks, it protects my iTouch akin to a suit of armor, and at the end of the day, that's what a case is for.

Thanks for reading!
If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a comment. I'll be happy to help if you have any questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best you can get for your iTouch, December 21, 2012
Another winner from Otterbox (albeit late to the party). It has a 2-piece poly shell that snaps together around the iTouch, including a built-in screen protector which needs no applying. After snapping together, it goes into a grippy rubber outer casing. It makes the iTouch look and feel like an iPhone, just about the same size and weight.

Very elegant, especially compared to its competition, the Griffin Survivor.

The downside is that it makes the iTouch lose its slim profile. If you want the slim profile and don't care about awesome protection, skip this (and REALLY skip the Griffin Survivor, it's a boat anchor). I treat mine with kid gloves but it still has been dropped a few times (I have kids). It's definitely worth the piece of mind knowing a clumsy kid won't break my favorite toy.

Another downside is the "bouncy" screen protector. It's built-in to the poly shell, so there's no need to apply it, which is nice. The problem is that it's not a tight fit, so you can feel a little gap between the screen protector and the screen. It's annoying, and may be a deal breaker for some.

Edit: I finally tired of the loose screen protector, and popped it out. I then had the Geek squad install a Zagg Invisible Shield HD screen protector. Problem solved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Wonderful on the Ipod TOuch 5th Generation, January 16, 2013
I bought this for my daughters new Ipod touch 5th generation and wanted something that would protect it in case of drops. This case is wonderful - fits perfect and the sheild protects that screen. I would highly recommend this product

5.0 out of 5 stars For son's ipod, May 19, 2014
This is thin and light. Our son has dropped his ipod several times and it is completely safe! I only let him take this to school because of the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, February 25, 2013
I love the sleek look, dropped it a few times already and my iPod is still flawless. Definately will recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, you like need to buy this. ONE MAN WOLF PACK? NO MORE.., July 17, 2014
OMG! I love this case and I will surely wear until it breaks, and since its a otterbox, it shouldn't even break! My parents were very hesitant to let me buy a cheap otterbox. If your trying to prove to your parents that your not a one man wolf pack on this, this is your review about it. Now I have one complain thats not really otterbox'es fault, I like to call my ipod my phone. The otterbox is extremely thin which is good so it fits in a pocket. But I cant necessarily call it a phone in a case like the size of a pencil. Iphones are pretty bulky and the case is NOWHERE near bulky. But, I would recommend you to buy this case. I have actually a few times dropped it yet, its still like it was before the drop.Overall, It is a really good case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very durable, and sleek🙌👌, July 6, 2014
I got this case about a year and a half ago and it is still protecting my ipod. This is a great case if you want something protective and sltylish. It looks great and feels great. The silicone on the outside is grippy but slides out of your pocket easily. However, the silicone covering does eventually become stretched out. Don't keep taking it one and off and I did. I didn't do it a lot but enough to stretch it out a little. Also, the little clasp things that hold the two plastic pieces together will break eventually. I have 3 that are broken now, but surprisingly the case still has a tight grip on my ipod and is still amazingly durable. I have dropped my ipod, and it has been thrown on the floor (not by me) and it is still protected and undamaged. I did not expect my ipod to last this long without being damaged but it has and I am sooo happy! This case IS worth the ridiculous price!!! Great for gifts or for younger kids with expensive technology. I highly recommend this for anyone. Great great case. And the color is just like the pic. I got the purple one. Buy it because it's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, March 16, 2013
By far the best case I have ever had... The only thing that could have been better was a bigger headphone jack hole but other than that I am very satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ottorbox defender Series Case for Ipod Tough 5G., May 29, 2014
It does protect the device well so far. Gets moisture under screen protector which creates bubbles on the screen. Was hoping the screen protector was more durable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 26, 2014
Item is excellent and would recommend to others price was cheaper than others for same product and read reviews and found this one is the best.

OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPod touch 5G - Coal